Life Is But A Dream

K

Karin Schill

I am glad Cliff knows about his daughter now and that he spilled the beans on Jerry Kenderson. I hope he gets what's coming to him.

I'm also glad Jack went after April to her hometown. It's also nice how you keep using Michelle in your stories. I know she is not a fan favorite but I've always liked her.

The BD Calhoun situation is rather scary. I hope he fails at his attempts at abducting Sue Ellen.

Looking forward to read more. :)

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended.

This fic is an alternate timeline where the dream season wasn't a dream. It picks up after the last episode of season 9.

Life Is But a Dream

Part 31:

JR felt the rage bubble up from deep in this gut all the way up through his throat. It was white hot, and so thick he felt as if he would choke on it. His hands shook and a thick fog of silver stars swam before his eyes.

"I'm going to kill him."

JR's voice was quiet - so quiet, Ray doubted he would have even heard the declaration of he hadn't been standing right next to his brother.

"JR, McSween and the police should handle Kenderson."

JR's head jerked up and he fixed his hard, cold eyes on Ray's face. "He hurt Sue Ellen. He's STILL hurting Sue Ellen."

Ray sucked in a deep breath. He was silent for a few seconds, then finally closed his eyes and nodded. "Okay, JR. Kenderson dies."

"No," Pam spoke for the first time in a long time. "He can't die. At least not until we find out everything we can about Richard Rice."

"Now, listen, Pam…"

"No, JR!" Pam cut him off. "If there's even the slightest chance that Bobby…"

"She's right," Ray said reluctantly. "Miss Ellie would never forgive us."

"I don't care if you kill him, JR. I hope you do, and I hope you make it hurt. But we have to wait until we know everything."

JR growled and glared at his ex-sister-in-law. He wanted to tell her to shut her mouth - but he couldn't. He knew she was right.

"Turn that up," Ray said abruptly.

It took Cliff a few seconds to realize Ray was talking to him. He reached for the remote control at his bedside table and unmuted the TV. They all sat and watched, stunned as the news reporter detailed the story of a high ranking CIA agent who was found in his office, dead from a single bullet in the brain.

"Daughtry," JR breathed out.

"Calhoun?" Ray wondered out loud.

"Jesus. Get back to the ranch, Ray. Make sure everyone is inside and safe. Call McSween and fill him and Clayton in on what Barnes told us."

"What are you going to do JR?" Ray asked, not sure he wanted to know the answer.

He shifted his eyes across the room, and settled them on Pam. "I'm going to take Pam home."

"What? Why?" Ray demanded.

"Simple," Pam muttered sadly. "Kenderson was using Graison Research. If anyone in this world can tell us exactly what he's up to, including how to find Richard Rice…"

"We have to talk to Mark," JR finished for Pam when her voice broke off. "If Bobby is alive, there's no way Graison doesn't know about it."

**"

"I'm so sorry, April."

April smiled a sad smile and shrugged. "Years of smoking."

They were sitting side by side at a picnic table in a dumpy little picnic area in her mother's trailer park.

"What are her chances?" Jack asked softly.

"Not good if she can continue her treatments. Not real good if she can."

"How much do you need?"

"More than I can ever get my hands on. I'm sorry, Jack. I was desperate. We ran out of money months ago and the hospital won't keep treating her if we can't pay. I…"

"You schemed and manipulated me because you wanted my money," Jack concluded. "You shouldn't have."

"I didn't have a choice."

"Yes you did. You could have just told me the truth."

"After the way we parted? Come on, Jack! There's no way you would have helped me!"

"Wrong again," Jack laughed bitterly. "And I'm going to help you now."

April raised her head so she could see his eyes. "Are you… really, Jack?"

Jack shook his head and smiled wryly. "You are a piece of work, April. You always have an angle. But you know what?"

"What?"

"I love you anyway."

"You...you do?"

"I do."

He stood up and extended his hand to her. "Let's get back to your mom's place. We have some arrangements to make."

Clayton hung up the phone and cursed.

Daughtry was dead. Kenderson was behind Sue Ellen's kidnapping. And Bobby might somehow might be alive.

He looked over at Lucy, who was sitting quietly on the sofa, nursing a drink. "Did you hear all that?"

"I heard enough," she answered flatly. "Is Ray on his way back to the ranch?"

"Yes. JR took Pam to talk to Mark."

"And BD Calhoun?"

"He's out there somewhere. And JR thinks he's coming for Sue Ellen next."

"Why is there a cop guarding your door?"

Cliff turned to look at Matt and shrugged. "I'm under arrest."

"What for?"

"Take a guess."

Matt raised and eyebrow then shook his head. "I told you messing with JR was a bad idea."

"I need you to do one more thing for me, Matt. That's why I asked you to come see me."

"I won't do anything to hurt Pam or any of the Ewings."

"I know," Cliff nodded at the other man. "I need you to do something to help them."

"What's that?"

"There's a very bad man out there who wants to hurt them. He wants them all dead."

"What can I do about that?"

"I was just thinking…" Cliff paused, swallowed hard, and forced himself to continue. "It takes a mercenary to kill a mercenary."

Sue Ellen shut the door to John Ross's room and continued down the hall. She stopped outside the guest room where Charly was staying and knocked softly.

"Looking for me?"

Sue Ellen turned towards the voice and smiled at the young girl. She and Tony were coming from the stairs towards the bedroom. "I was just looking for John Ross. I thought he might be with you."

"He said he was going to his room to listen to some tapes. We haven't seen him in a while."

"He's not in there. Where on earth is that boy?"

"Sorry, Sue Ellen. I don't know."

"Thank you," Sue Ellen nodded at the kids and moved towards the stairs.

She searched every room. Clayton, Ellie, and Lucy were in the living room. None of them had seen John Ross. She found Donna and Jenna in the kitchen having tea.

"Have either of you seen my son?"

"Not for a while," Jenna told her. "He was with Charly and Tony but said he was going upstairs."

"He's not up there," Sue Ellen sighed worriedly. "I looked everywhere I can think of…"

Her words were interrupted by a loud squeal and the sound of a splash. They all turned their heads to the window to see John Ross splashing playfully in the pool. "Mystery solved," Donna laughed.

Sue Ellen rolled her eyes and strode to the patio door. Her shoes made a loud clicking noise against the stone. "John Ross Ewing the Third! Get out of that pool right now!"

"Aw….MOM!"

"Right now, young man! You know we're not supposed to be out of the house!"

She moved to grab a towel, then stopped suddenly in her tracks. She looked around and saw nothing, but she had a sickening feeling in the pit of her stomach. "Stay where you are, John Ross."

"What?"

"Stay!" She hissed. "Something is terribly wrong!"

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended.

This fic is an alternate timeline where the dream season wasn't a dream. It picks up after the last episode of season 9.

Life Is But a Dream

Part 32:

Bobby tamped down the urge to rush the lab tech and run.

It wasn't time yet.

He needed to remember more.

Pam was his wife.

Christopher was his son.

He had a brother named JR.

And Sue Ellen was family.

He thought he had other brothers. And wherever he grew up, there were lots of rooms...and horses - so many horses.

But he still didn't remember his last name. He didn't even know where to start looking for his family.

It wasn't time yet.

So he sat docile and calm and let the tech draw his blood.

"All done!" The tech said with a bright smile. "We'll bring in your meal now, Mr. Rice."

Bobby nodded and attempted to smile back. He watched silently as the tech gathered up his tools and left the room.

"My name isn't Rice," he growled at the closed door. "My name is Bobby."

Mark hadn't said one word. He stood in front of the window and stared at nothing.

"Start talking, Graison," JR finally lost his patience. "McSween and a whole army of cops are on their way over here. It'll go better for you if you tell us what you know instead of waiting for them."

"Please, Mark," Pam pleaded. "Please tell me."

Mark finally moved away from the window and walked over to sit beside his wife on the couch. He took a deep breath, steadied his nerves, and started talking.

"I've been expecting this day to come since the day I found out Jerry was behind what happened to Sue Ellen."

"You knew?!" Pam gasped, her hand flying to her mouth.

"I know it's over for me. I'll be lucky if I don't spend the rest of my life in jail. And I don't care. I deserve whatever I get. But the thing I need you to understand is that I never meant for any of this to happen. When I first came back to Dallas, it was only because I wanted to tell you the truth."

"What truth?" JR demanded.

Mark briefly took his eyes off Pam to glance over at JR. "The truth about what really happened to your brother." He turned his attention back to Pam and shrugged weakly. "Honey… you need to know...Bobby…"

"What about Bobby?" Pam prodded.

Mark closed his eyes and forced himself to say the words. "Bobby is alive."

Ray cursed under his breath and pulled his truck over. He reached down and picked his pistol up off the seat. He forced himself to remain calm while he waited for the car to pull over behind him. He watched the rear view mirror as a man got out of the car and approached his truck. He relaxed only slightly when he recognized Matt Cantrell.

"Why did you pull over?" Matt asked once he made it to Ray's rolled down window.

"A strange car following me on the private road to Southfork? Why do you think? What are you doing here?"

"Cliff Barnes asked me to come. A crazy story about a mercenary."

"It's crazy," Ray admitted. "But it's also true."

"Well, I'm here to help."

"I'm not sure JR would…"

"What?" Matt asked when Ray stopped talking.

"Look," Ray pointed out into the distance. "Do you see that?"

"See what?" Matt snapped. "There's nothing out there…"

But then he DID see it. The slight reflection of light flashing several times. "Ray...that could be a…."

"Rifle scope," Ray said grimly. "Get in and let's go!'

JR stood quietly in a corner, whispering to McSween. Mark had told them everything - every sickening little detail. The police had cuffed and arrested him and he was waiting in the back of a police car to be transported to jail.

"I won't get very far with the CIA," McSween sighed. "You need to get Harv to call his contacts at the justice department."

"Agreed," JR nodded. "And Harry?"

"Yeah?"

"Kenderson is mine."

"I can't have that conversation with you," Harry held up his hands. "But...I can wait a few hours before I try to pick him up."

"Thanks," JR nodded.

"What are you going to do about her?" McSween nodded at Pam.

"Hell if I know," JR grimaced. "Get Graison booked and let me know the minute it's done."

"Will do."

JR waited until Harry and the rest of the coos cleared out of the house then walked over to sit down beside Pam. "Look, you're in shock. Hell, I'm in shock."

"I slept in the same bed with him every night," Pam said softly, her voice full of anguish. "He was my husband! My God, JR! I married him!"

"You couldn't have known, Pam. You couldn't have known any of this."

"You knew," she sobbed.

"What?"

"Sue Ellen. We all...everyone thought she was dead. But you knew! You knew in your heart she was alive!"

"Pam, I don't understand.."

"Why didn't I know, JR? Why couldn't I feel Bobby the way you felt Sue Ellen?"

JR was shocked into silence. He had no idea what to say, how to respond. She sobbed louder, her entire body jerking with each cry. "Come on, girl," JR said, his voice as gentle as he could muster.

He awkwardly reached out and pulled her into his arms. "None of that matters now. We're going to find Bobby and bring him home. I promise on my life."

Lucy glaced up when she heard the commotion out by the pool. She stood up, walked to the window and grinned when she saw John Ross "Boys will be boys," she laughed and shook her head as Sue Ellen ordered the little boy out of the pool.

Then she heard it. It was explosive, but sounded very far away. A loud bang, followed several seconds later by two more loud bangs and a slightly softer one.

"What the hell…"

She saw movement out of the corner of her eye. Sue Ellen fell. John Ross screamed.

"Oh, my God," Lucy whispered frantically.

Then she saw the blood.

She repeated the words, but this time they came out in the form of a blood curdling scream.

"OH MY GOD!!!"

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Life Is But a Dream

Part 33:

"Call 911!" Clayton screamed at the top of his lungs. "Lucy! Get John Ross inside!"

Lucy pulled the terrified little boy out of the pool, wrapped him in her arms, and ran into the house.

"Clayton…"

He looked up and saw Ellie. "She's shot," Clayton said grimly. "In the shoulder."

"Is she conscious?"

"No. I think she hit her head on the stone when she fell."

"An ambulance is on the way," Donna suddenly appeared beside them. "We need to find JR."

"Right now what we need is to get everyone into the house!" Clayton growled. "I'll carry Sue Ellen."

"That's Ray's truck…" Donna pointed out into the distance.

Clayton looked up and saw Ray's truck barrelling toward the house at top speed. "In the house!" He said again, more firmly.

They all hurried inside. Clayton laid Sue Ellen on the couch in the living room. Ellie hovered over her daughter-in-law. "Jenna, take all the children upstairs."

Jenna nodded and hustled Charly and Tony to the staircase. Lucy, still with John Ross's soaking wet body in her arms, followed close behind them.

"Where's JR?" Ellie demanded.

"Over at Pam and Mark's," Clayton told his wife.

*I'll call," Donna volunteered. She walked over to the phone and picked up the receiver, but dropped it and cried out in shock when Matt Cantrell suddenly burst through the door carrying a clearly wounded Ray.

"He needs help," Cantrell grunted under the weight of the other man. "He's gut shot. It's bad."

"Your mother's medical bills are taken care of," Jack said, hanging up the phone. "The hospital will have the money first thing in the morning. I want you to contact a real estate agent tomorrow and see about finding you ladies a decent place to live...April, are you even listening to me?"

Jack rolled his eyes when she didn't respond. "Damn, woman, you could at least say thank you."

"Oh, Jack…"

"What?" He turned head so he could see whatever it was she was fixated on. She was transfixed by the TV. Looked like a breaking news story. He suddenly recognized the exterior of the house at Southfork. The banner at the bottom of the screen said 'shots fired at home of prominent Texas Oil family.'

"April…"

"They said there was a body found, Jack."

"Oh no," he grumbled, reaching back for the phone. "Dear God, no."

Harv Smithfield hung up the phone and rubbed his temples.

The CIA was caught. He had managed to get the Justice Department to agree to force the CIA to hand over Richard Rice. The FBI would be taking possession of Rice shortly, then they would be bringing him to Dallas Memorial for medical testing and questioning.

He looked through the folder JR had sent over to his office again. He still couldn't believe what he was seeing.

"Oh, Bobby. Could it really be you? Could you really still be alive?"

"I told you everything I know already!" Matt's frustration was boiling over. "Barnes asked me to come to Southfork. I ran into Ray. We saw the glare from what turned out to be a rifle scope. We tore ass across the field and saw that guy. "

"Calhoun?" McSween interrupted.

"I don't know who he was," Matt snapped. "We saw him raise the rifle to shoot. Ray jumped out of the truck and tackled him. But a shot went off right before they fell. Then they were rolling around on the ground. A couple more shots. So I aimed the pistol and fired."

"You had the pistol on you?"

"It was Ray's. He dropped it when he tackled the guy. Look, is Ray gonna be okay? And what about Sue Ellen?"

"Mrs. Ewing was hit in the shoulder. The doctors are more worried about the bump on her head than the gunshot wound."

"And Ray?"

"It's bad. That's all I know. Listen, we'll probably need to talk to you again. Don't go anywhere."

Matt glanced towards the living room sofa where Jenna sat quietly crying and Charly and Tony looked to be in a state of shock. "Don't worry," Matt sighed. "I'm not going anywhere. Someone needs to stay with them."

"Yes," McSween agreed.

"Does JR know yet?"

"Yes. He's on his way to the hospital."

"And this Calhoun is dead?"

"As a doornail. You got him right between the eyes."

"Too bad," Matt growled. "A quick death is better than he deserved, and a HELL of a lot better than JR would have given him."

*Where is she?!" JR came tearing through the ER lobby with Pam close on his heels. "Where is my wife?!"

"JR, calm down. Sue Ellen is going to be just fine. She was only grazed in the shoulder. She has a slight concussion but she's awake now and coherent."

JR almost collapsed with relief at Clayton's words. "And the baby?"

"Just fine," Clayton assured him. "They're moving her to a private room. You can see her soon."

"Thank God...thank GOD!" He took a deep breath then saw Donna and Ellie huddled together across the room. "Ray?"

"Shot twice in the stomach. Apparently he struggled with Calhoun and the rifle went off. JR… Ray saved Sue Ellen's life. If he hadn't knocked that maniac off balance before he got his shot off…"

"Sue Ellen would be dead."

"Yes."

"Does Mama know about Bobby yet?"

"No. I didn't have a chance to tell her before…"

"Don't tell her now. Wait until we either know about Ray or know for sure about Bobby."

"Agreed. What about her?" Clayton nodded his head at Pam.

"Shit. I forgot all about her. Give me a second."

JR walked back to Pam and told her that Sue Ellen would be fine but that it was too soon to know about Ray. "You want me to get an officer to take you home?"

"Would it be alright if I stayed?"

"Of course. Mama and Donna could use the support. But Pam - they don't know about Richard Rice and Bobby."

"I won't tell them, JR. I promise."

"Then you're welcome to stay. I'd actually be grateful if you did."

"Thank you JR."

"Mr. Ewing?"

JR turned to see a nurse standing behind him. "Yes?"

"Your wife is settled in her room. She's anxious to see you."

JR's whole face relaxed. "Lead the way."

"Do you understand what I've said to you Mr. Rice?"

Bobby glared at the man in the FBI flack jacket and rolled his eyes. "I understand just fine. But my name isn't Mr. Rice. You just said so."

"No. I said we SUSPECTED your name wasn't Richard Rice."

Bobby took a deep breath and narrowed his eyes. "My name is Bobby. My wife is named Pam. I have a son named Christopher and a brother named JR. There's a woman in my life named Sue Ellen that I care very deeply for."

"Well, well," the FBI agent sank back into his chair. "It seems you remember a lot more than anyone realized."

"What's my last name?"

"I don't think I should…"

"TELL ME!" Bobby roared.

"Ewing," the agent gave in. "Your last name is Ewing."

"Ewing...Bobby Ewing…." Bobby felt sick. Images and memories flooded his mind. He concentrated hard and pushed it all aside. "My name is Bobby Ewing. And I want to go home."

Lucy opened her eyes and saw Jenna standing over her. "Ray and Sue Ellen?"

"Sue Ellen is going to be fine," Jenna sighed. "Ray... they're not sure. How is he?" Jenna nodded at John Ross who was sound asleep in his bed.

"Exhausted and scared," Lucy told her. "As soon as he wakes I'll tell him his mama will be fine."

"Good," Jena hesitated. "Mitch has called to speak with you several times. He saw it on the news."

"I don't want to talk to him."

"But Lucy…"

"I need to concentrate on taking care of John Ross. Mitch can wait."

"Alright," Jenna conceded. "I'll bring up some food for you."

Lucy nodded but didn't answer. The truth was she wasn't hungry. Ray could die. And Bobby might still be out there somewhere alone and confused.

She had no interest in food.

And she had even less interest in talking to her husband.

"Honey?"

Sue Ellen sat up gingerly so as not to hurt her wounded shoulder. "Are you just going to stand there skulking in the doorway or are you going to come in here and kiss me?"

JR chuckled, walked into the room, and bent over the bed to place a firm kiss on her lips. "You scared the hell out of me."

"Don't blame me for this," she sniffed. "Every bit of this could have been avoided if you'd just done as I asked, canceled that meeting with Angelica, and taken your family to the water park. This is all your fault."

"I know it is honey. And I am so sorry. If I could take that decision back...wait...Sue Ellen…"

"What?"

"That conversation...the day of the explosion. You wanted to take John Ross to the water park."

"Yes. And you told me to wait until after your stupid meeting."

"You...you remember that, honey?"

"I remember everything, JR. I remember you insisting you were going to meet Angelica. I remember going to find you at Ewing Oil when you didn't come home. I remember the explosion. I remember being so hurt and scared and lost."

"Sue Ellen?"

"I remember it all, JR. I remember how furious I was with you for continuing to deal with Angelica. I remember how hard headed you were about the whole thing. I remember how you kept downplaying my concerns."

"I didn't think...I didn't know…"

"I remember all your women. I remember my sister. Holly Harwood. Mandy Winger. I remember your lies. Your scheming. I remember all the times you broke my heart."

JR didn't say a word. He couldn't. He had feared this day for so long...the day Sue Ellen would finally recover her memories and know for a fact what a horrible husband he had been to her.

"Want to know what I remember the most?"

"What?" JR asked shakily, even though he was sure he didn't want to know the answer.

"I remember how much you love me, JR. And I remember I forgave you. I forgave you because I love you with all my heart. We forgave each other. And our love is stronger than it has ever been."

"Sue Ellen...oh, honey."

"Hold me, JR. I need you to hold me."

JR sat down on the edge of her bed and gently took her in his arms. "I love you so much, Sue Ellen."

"I know," she whispered into his ear. "And I promise I won't ever forget it again."

Miss Texas 1967

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
That baby will be the strongest little thing by the time they come out, or traumatised... So much pain already.
Happy to see Bobby is coming back though, that'll be a great reunion.

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
This is great. Just one question, where's Ben Stivers, where's Jock Ewing at?

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Life Is But a Dream

Part 34:

"JR, we just don't have any idea where he is. The airlines, trains, and bus stations are all on alert. We canceled his passport and are tracking his credit cards and bank accounts. That's all we can do right now."

"What about Graison? He have any idea where Kenderson might be hiding."

McSween cast a nervous glance in Pam's direction and shrugged, "he claims that he doesn't have a clue."

"Alright. Keep looking. Now, about Richard Rice…"

"The FBI is bringing him to the hospital."

"And he claims he's Bobby?"

"Apparently so."

"How long until they get here?"

"A few hours."

"Alright. Thanks, Harry."

"How long do you think she'll sleep?" Pam asked about Sue Ellen once McSween left the room.

"A while. She's exhausted. At least she got to speak to John Ross."

"Do the doctors know why she suddenly recovered her memories?"

"Not really," JR shrugged, "could have been the bump on the head. Or maybe the shock of being shot. I'm just thankful she's back to her old self."

"JR, I know you want to go see Ray. I'll stay with Sue Ellen until you get back."

"You sure?'

"Yes," Pam sighed softly. "Watching over her will at least make me feel useful until I know…"

"It won't be long Pam."

"JR, I'm so sorry. I blamed you for everything. And the whole time it was my own husband…"

"You couldn't have known."

"Don't patronize me, JR. It just makes me feel worse."

"I'm not trying to patronize you. Look, Pam, I don't care for you. And you don't care for me. We're never going to be friendly and it would have suited me just fine if Bobby had never laid eyes on you. But the one thing I never doubted about you is that you loved my brother. You asked me why you couldn't feel him. I don't have an answer for that. Maybe...just maybe somehow Sue Ellen and I share such a deep connection it can't be broken. Or maybe I just wasn't able to even consider the possibility she was dead. Or hell, maybe it was just dumb luck. But yeah. I knew. But I didn't see her die. I didn't put her in the ground. You had real, tangible reasons to think Bobby was dead. Just because you believed it doesn't mean you don't love him just as much as I love my wife. You hear me?"

Pam smiled a small smile and wiped a tear from her eye. "Thank you, JR."

"I'll be back as soon as I can."

"Do you think I should call Gary?"

"What?" JR turned to face her.

"Gary. I mean, he is bound to have seen something in the news. Ray is his brother. And Bobby…"

"I'll take care of it."

"You sure?"

"I'm sure. You just look after my wife."

"I will, JR. Promise."

"Thank you. Oh, and Pam?"

"Yes?"

"Stop beating yourself up. I love Bobby too. I never felt him. I never believed he was alive. Not even after Sue Ellen told me she thought she saw him."

Pam didn't reply. She watched him leave the room then turned her attention back to Sue Ellen, who was sleeping soundly. "Well my friend, seems like you were right and I was wrong about JR all along, huh?"

"Jack?"

"Huh?"

"Wake up. We'll be landing in a few minutes."

Jack sat up straight, wiped the sleep from his eyes, and tried to get his bearings. "Hope we can get some information when we get on the ground."

"The news said Ray and Sue Ellen were taken to the hospital. We'll go straight there."

"We'll need to get you a hotel room."

"No we don't."

"What?"

"I can stay at your place."

"What?" He asked again.

"I just thought…"

"Look, April, I know you probably feel like you owe me because of your mom, but you don't have to sleep with me, okay? I mean, you dropped everything to fly back to Dallas with me. Consider us even."

"Jack, I came to Dallas with you for the same reason I planned to stay at your apartment with you."

"And what would that reason be?"

"Remember what you told me at the playground?"

"Yes. I told you I love you."

"Yes. You did. And you know what?"

"What?"

"I love you too. I never stopped. Not even when you left me."

"April…"

"I know there's a ton of stuff we have to talk about and work through, but for now, can't we just be with one another and support one another?"

"Of course we can. But you still don't have to sleep with me."

"I know I don't have to. I WANT to. Remember the way it always was between us Jack? I miss that. And I want it again. I mean...unless…"

"Unless what?"

"I guess if you don't want me…"

Jack silenced her with a long, hot kiss. "I want you," he whispered huskily when he lifted his head. "Never stopped wanting you "

"Good," April grinned widely. "Then it's settled."

Kenderson glanced at his watch and grimaced.

Time was running out.

He had to make it to the meeting point in less than three hours. If he wasn't there, his CIA contact would leave without him and he'd be on his own. He was going to have to make his move soon, whether the nurse could get Sue Ellen alone or not. She was doing the best she could, but JR hadn't left his wife's side and there was the matter of the Sheriff deputy outside her door.

He knew every law enforcement officer in Texas was looking for him. He needed to get out of the country. NOW.

But he wasn't leaving without Sue Ellen.

If that meant he had to make another mess on his way out, then so be it.

"He's heavily sedated," Donna said, her voice thin and lifeless. "For the pain."

"But the doctors were able to repair the damage to his stomach?"

"Mostly. Still, he has a long recovery ahead of him."

"I'm so sorry, Donna," JR sighed. "This is all my fault."

*How do you figure that?"

"I dragged him into all this."

"You didn't drag him into anything. You're his brother and you needed his help."

"It's all my fault. Sue Ellen. Jaimie. Now Ray."

"JR, this is all Jerry Kenderson's fault. Kenderson and Mark Graison. Not yours."

"But if I hadn't gotten involved with Angelica…"

"Stop it," Donna sat up straight and squared her shoulders. "My husband is lying here fighting for his life. He needs your help now JR. Are you going to help him or are you going to wallow around in your guilt?"

"Of course I'll help him," JR snapped. "I just don't know what I can do for him!"

"You get the man who did this to him, JR. You get the man who kidnapped Bobby and set all these events in motion. Do you hear me? You get Kenderson. And you kill him. Promise me, JR!"

JR squatted down in front of his sister-in-law so that his eyes were even with hers. "I promise, Donna. On Daddy's grave. Jerry Kenderson is a dead man. He just doesn't know it yet."

"Ellie? Do you understand what I've told you?"

"Yes, Clayton. But whoever this man is, he can't be my Bobby."

"The medical records match."

"Medical records can be manipulated and you know it!"

"Maybe," Clayton muttered doubtfully. "But he'll be here soon and you need to prepare yourself…"

"The only thing I need to prepare myself to do is expose and imposter. Bobby is dead."

"But Ellie…"

"He's dead, Clayton! I buried my son. I mourned my son. And I won't hear one more word from anyone who says otherwise."

"Alright, Ellie. Whatever you say."

JR took a deep breath and down the phone.

He'd told Gary about Ray.

And about Richard Rice.

It had been a tense conversation, but Gary had thanked him for calling and asked to be informed right away once Rice got to the hospital.

JR shook his head and wondered to himself if he should maybe make some sort of effort to patch up his relationship with his brother out in California. After all, Gary had no interest in Ewing Oil. Plus, he was Lucy's father and it would make things easier for her if JR was at least on speaking terms with him.

And...well,it had crossed JR's mind more than once in the last several hours that Richard Rice could be an imposter and Bobby was still dead. And now Ray…

Fact was, Gary might end up being the only brother JR had left. Might be time to start treating the prodigal brother like family again.

"I have an order for a Cat scan. That should get her out of the room. There'll be an orderly with her, but I'll distract him."

"You have my key card for the service entrance?"

"Here," the nurse nodded and handed him the card. "This will get you out of the hospital. And out of my life."

"That's right. After today, you'll never hear from me again."

"And the money?"

"Already in your account."

"Good. But I swear, Jerry, this is the last time I will ever help you kidnap a patient from the hospital."

Jerry flashed an evil grin at her and shrugged. "My dear, after I get out of here with Sue Ellen, I promise you, all I will ever be to you again is an unpleasant memory."

"Need anything else?"

"No," Sue Ellen passed the water back to him and gave him a weak smile, "thank you."

"You feeling any better?"

"I still have an awful headache, but other than that I'm fine."

"Can't they give you something for the pain?"

"No...the baby…"

JR sighed and nodded. "I can't stand to see you suffer."

"I'll be fine JR."

She laid back against the pillow and decided to change the subject. "Was I dreaming or was Pam here with me a while ago?"

"She was here. She stayed with you while I went to see Ray. When I got back she went down to wait with Mama and Clayton for…"

"For Bobby," Sue Ellen finished for him. "You should have believed me, JR."

"Yes," he said softly. "I'm sorry."

"It seems like you spend most of our lives telling me that."

"Yes," he repeated. "It does."

"I love you anyway."

JR smiled and shook his head. "I don't know why you do, but I'm damn glad for it."

They were quiet for a few minutes, then JR reached out to take her hand. "I talked to Gary."

"Really?"

"Yeah. Had to tell him about Ray and this thing with Bobby."

"How did he take it?"

"Not bad, all things considered. Sue Ellen?"

"Yes?"

"I'm going to try to be a better man. To everyone. But mostly to you."

"I believe you, JR."

"You and John Ross and that baby you're carrying. We are going to be a happy, strong family. I promise."

"I believe you, JR," she said again. "We won't ever be apart again, will we?"

"No we won't," he promised. "No matter what."

K

Karin Schill

I'm all caught up now. :)

Sue Ellen getting shot and she's pregnant!:eck: I agree with @Miss Texas 1967 that baby will be really strong. Then again so was John Ross. I mean Sue Ellen fell down the stairs while pregnant with him and was in a car crash so it's not so far fetched.

I am really looking forward to the family's reunion with Bobby. But I would rather see him with Jenna than Pam at this point! :eyes:
The reason for it is because Pam is married to Mark who is still terminally ill. Remember how she got engaged to him because she didn't want to leave a dying man?
So regardless of her feelings for Bobby she put Mark first then. So I think she needs to feel at least conflicted about leaving Mark for Bobby. I also think Pam would want to talk to Mark and get his side of the story rather than just take JR's word for things. So I don't like him just being plain evil, since even though I don't like the character really, it's a too easy quick fix. :confused:

Love April and Jack patching things up. :)

Oh and Ray better be ok!

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Jerry had better not anywhere NEAR my girl again.
ONE hair out of place and it's iron time you bastard.

And for once I agree with Princess Pammy this mess IS her fault.

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Life Is But a Dream

Part 35:

"JR?"

JR opened his eyes and squinted in the dark. His eyes slowly adjusted to the darkness in the room and he was able to make out Pam's silhouette in the doorway. "Yeah?"

"He's here."

JR took a deep breath and glanced over at his wife. She was sleeping soundly in her hospital bed. "Alright," he said softly.

He stood up and walked to meet Pam in the doorway. "Mama?"

"She and Clayton are already down there. She...she doesn't want to go in until you get there. JR...Miss Ellie believes this is all some sort of sick hoax."

"And you, Pam? What do you believe?"

"I don't know," Pam admitted in a soft voice. "I just don't know what to believe."

"Me either," JR told her. "You ready for this?"

"I honestly don't think so. If it's not him...I don't ever want to meet Richard Rice. If it is him…" her voice broke off into a soft sob.

JR shifted his feet awkwardly and shook his head. "Pam...why don't you stay here with Sue Ellen until we know…"

"Yes, JR," Pam said immediately in a rush of air. "Thank you."

JR nodded and moved around her to leave the room. "It won't be long, Pam. Then we'll know for sure."

"I hope so," a single tear slipped from her eye onto her cheek, "God I hope so."

**"

"You guys need anything else?"

The children all shook their heads and Lucy walked quietly from the room.

She felt awful. Her whole family was at the hospital, waiting to see if Ray would survive and to confirm whether or not Richard Rice was really Bobby. And there was nothing she could do to help them.

She wanted to be at the hospital, but someone needed to look after the children and Jenna was just too flighty for Lucy to completely trust her with that task. So, Lucy had left John Ross, Tony, and Charly with Jenna and Matt only long enough to go get Christopher, then come back to Southfork and spent the day trying to keep the kids calm and distracted.

Truthfully, she was tryng to distract herself.

She had to call Mitch. She just couldn't put it off any longer.

Mitch had seen the shooting on the news and was calling every hour to talk to her. It was cruel of her not to speak to him and assure him that she was alright, but she just dreaded the conversation she knew was coming so deeply.

She needed to end things.

She loved Mitch. She always had. But they were too different to make their relationship work, no matter how hard they tried. He had always resented her wealth and her family and he had made it clear he wanted nothing to do with the Ewings. It had been a sore spot between them since the beginning.

Add in the fact he worked such long hours, leaving Lucy alone and lonely, plus all the drama with Afton, and it equaled a tense and unhappy marriage.

Yes. It was time to end things.

She walked to her room, sat on the edge of her bed, and reached for the phone to dial the number. She sucked in a deep breath when her husband answered the call. "Hey, Mitch. It's me. We need to talk."

"Are you alright?"

Jack glanced over at April and shrugged. "Yeah. I guess. I mean I never knew Bobby...but I'm worried as hell about Ray."

"Donna seems to be holding up well."

"Donna is tough."

"Do you think we should try to see JR before we leave?"

"No. He's got his hands full. Let's just get back to Southfork and pick up the stuff Donna asked for."

"We should get some things for Sue Ellen too."

Jack smiled faintly and nodded. "I'll ask Lucy to put a bag together for her. You know something?"

"What?"

"You try to be all hard but you have a very soft heart. You only met Donna once and never Sue Ellen, but you're trying to help them both."

"Any decent person would want to help them, Jack."

"That's my point," Jack laughed. "You pretend to be a cold hearted vixen, but deep down you're decent and sweet and kind."

"Way deep down," April laughed along with him. "VERY deep down."

"It will be a couple of days before the DNA comes back."

"Why so long?" JR demanded.

"It's a new technology, Mr. Ewing," the doctor explained patiently. "But the blood work…"

The doctor broke off, shook his head, and sighed. "The blood test is a match. The scars, the x-rays, hell, even the dental work… I have every reason to believe the man in that examination room is Bobby Ewing."

"What does he say?" Clayton asked.

"He says he's Bobby. Look, he doesn't remember much. He says his wife is named Pam and that they have a son named Christopher. He says he has a brother named JR. He says he grew up on a ranch."

"I don't care what he says, he isn't Bobby!" Ellie cried out.

JR pulled his mother into his arms and placed a comforting kiss on her forehead. "There's only one way to find out," he whispered softly.

He stepped away from his mother and moved toward the doctor. "I'm ready to see him. Let's get this over with."

Sue Ellen squeezed Pam's hand and reached over to hand the other woman a tissue. "Everything will be okay."

Pam didn't answer and Sue Ellen fell silent again. The truth was she was trying to convince herself every bit as much as she was trying to convince Pam. She was so worried

JR was under so much strain. She knew he blamed himself for everything that had happened and she knew if Richard Rice turned out to be Bobby he would have a very hard time adjusting. She prayed that the stress didn't cause him to have a breakdown.

And what…

What if he cracked under the pressure and it caused him to go back to his old ways?

"Mrs. Ewing? I'm here to take you down for a cat scan."

"A cat scan?" Sue Ellen repeated, confused. "I had one this morning."

"Well," the nurse shrugged, "the doctor says you need another one."

"Why? The baby…" her voice trailed off. "Can we wait for my husband to get back so that I am able to discuss it with him?"

"I'm sorry, Mrs. Ewing, the order says I am to take you now."

"No," Sue Ellen said stubbornly. "Not until my husband gets back or I talk to the doctor."

"Mrs. Ewing…"

"Please," Pam broke in. "She's been through so much and all she's asking for is to have the doctor come in and explain to her why she needs this test."

"I'm not going," Sue Ellen told her flatly.

"Fine," the nurse snapped. "I'll go get the doctor."

"You do that," Sue Ellen growled, "because I'm not going anywhere until I speak with him personally."

JR pushed open the heavy hospital door and walked into the room.

Richard Rice was lying on the bed in the middle of the room. His deep, even breathing made it clear he was in a deep sleep.

JR walked across the room and sat down in the bedside chair. He stared at the other man for a moment. He was lying on his side, facing away from JR. JR couldn't see his face, but that hair…

That was Bobby's hair.

JR hesitated only for a moment before reaching out and lightly touching the man's shoulder. "Wake up." When the man didn't move, JR shook him more forcefully and raised his voice. "Wake up!"

The man jerked and sat up into a sitting position. He looked around the room in confusion before settling his eyes on JR's face.

JR gasped for air and shook his head in disbelief. "No," a choked cry escaped his throat. "Dear God, NO!"

Jerry pulled the surgical mask more snugly around his face and pretended to read a chart. His eyes weren't on the papers on the clipboard though, they were on the guard standing in front of Sue Ellen's door. He was waiting patiently for the nurse to distract him and move him away.

Sue Ellen had thrown a wrench in his plans by refusing to submit to the cat scan. He'd had to improvise. This was dangerous and he knew it. But it was the only way.

If Sue Ellen was insisting on seeing a doctor, he was more than happy to oblige her wishes.

He smiled under the mask when he saw the nurse excitedly point down the hallway. The guard took the bait and went to investigate whatever the nurse had pointed at.

Jerry put the chart down on the counter and moved calmly to Sue Ellen's room.

"Time's up, Sue Ellen," he mumbled to himself. "You're mine."

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
This story is wrapping up. There won't be many more parts. I have the ending all wrapped up in my mind and just have to get it typed up.

As with all fanfics, not everyone will be happy with the way it ends. I have read all the comments and taken everyone's thoughts into consideration, but at the end of the day, I have to write it the way I envision it.

There won't be another story from me. I know I usually start a new one as soon as I post the ending of one, but I am going to take a break for a while.

I may write a couple of short one or two chapter stories if I get inspired, but the long ones are done for a while.

Thank you all for reading and following along with the crazy stuff I make up in my head!

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
This story is wrapping up. There won't be many more parts. I have the ending all wrapped up in my mind and just have to get it typed up.

As with all fanfics, not everyone will be happy with the way it ends. I have read all the comments and taken everyone's thoughts into consideration, but at the end of the day, I have to write it the way I envision it.

There won't be another story from me. I know I usually start a new one as soon as I post the ending of one, but I am going to take a break for a while.

I may write a couple of short one or two chapter stories if I get inspired, but the long ones are done for a while.

Thank you all for reading and following along with the crazy stuff I make up in my head!
Oh no!!! Why? I hope you reconsider, you've really kept this place alive for us! I've loved all your work.