Linda Evans episodes of THE BIG VALLEY

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Both of these are pretty good, all things considered, but remarkably different for being less than two years apart.

The haunting, wistful "The Midas Man" reflects all the best things about Season 1 of BIG VALLEY, when there was still an early-'60s whiff about the show (this installment aired in early 1966) and the program still had that frontier period flavor.

While Season 3's "A Noose is Waiting" has Audra typically in peril (and always makes me wonder how she'd have done as the distraught blonde in NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, filmed that same year) and the show has taken on that paranoid, late-'60s vibe -- to say nothing of the anachronistic clothes/hair/cosmetics by this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gatsbyesque

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Both of these are pretty good, all things considered, but remarkably different for being less than two years apart.

The haunting, wistful "The Midas Man" reflects all the best things about Season 1 of BIG VALLEY, when there was still an early-'60s whiff about the show (this installment aired in early 1966) and the program still had that frontier period flavor.

While Season 3's "A Noose is Waiting" has Audra typically in peril (and always makes me wonder how she'd have done as the distraught blonde in NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, filmed that same year) and the show has taken on that paranoid, late-'60s vibe -- to say nothing of the anachronistic clothes/hair/cosmetics by this point.

That is so irksome. War and Peace (1956) is like this. Peppered with dialogue, hair, and fashion that doesn't make sense for the era. Clearly done for the modern audience, but did they ask for it?

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
That is so irksome. War and Peace (1956) is like this. Peppered with dialogue, hair, and fashion that doesn't make sense for the era. Clearly done for the modern audience, but did they ask for it?
I don't know if Linda and Barbara requested it or not. I know Stanwyck ripped her hairpiece off by the end of the first season.

The women's clothes on BIG VALLEY seemed to make the shift as Season 2 progressed, certainly by Season 3. But the '60s movies and TV shows were often like that: the contemporary trends had to override correct period detail, especially for the ladies.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And Disney's Snow White didn't really look like a medieval princess.

This is nothing new, and they're still doing it today. Especially those shows that pretend to be realistic and gritty often look too slick, too fabulous and too muscular.

Barbara Stanwyck is an oddity because I never really know how old she's supposed to be in those 60s/70s shows and movies, and overall there's something peculiar about her but I can't quite put my finger on it.
Either way, Big Valley is on my to-watch list (it's all on YouTube) but I have no idea what to expect. I hope she does a lot of hysterical scenes.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
"The gunmen are coming -- and they're whores! OoohmyyyGodddd, they're whores, they're all frickin' whoresss!"

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
"We'll rape your teenaged son. Then we'll eat him. That's all we can do. We've just got no other choice."

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
"You're a whore!, You're a whore!, You're a whore!, You're a whore!, You're a whore!, You're a whore!, You're a whore!, You're a whore!, You're a whore!, You're a whore!, You're a whore!, You're a whore!, You're still a filthy, lousy, stinking whooooooooooore!!"

I think is from the episode "Run of the Whore". Season 2, maybe.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Looks interesting:)

I like that accident with the man who got hung in the well (isn't that Darryl Clayton from Falcon Crest?)
Yes, he was in two episodes of BIG VALLEY playing two different people in love with Audra... He's so gross and creepy, why do they always put him with such beautiful women?

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Bradford Dillman was his name. Creepy and a bit repugnant. Why's he with all these hot TV chicks?

But why? Not enough actors available at that time?
Y'know, before the days of DALLAS-esque serialization, when all primetime shows were still fully episodic, they'd just repeat actors left and right.

I think Bruce Dern was in one episode of BIG VALLEY every season, four different characters in four different installments.

But back then nobody was thinking about home video, DVDs, cable TV play or Youtube.

Gatsbyesque

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don't know if Linda and Barbara requested it or not. I know Stanwyck ripped her hairpiece off by the end of the first season.

The women's clothes on BIG VALLEY seemed to make the shift as Season 2 progressed, certainly by Season 3. But the '60s movies and TV shows were often like that: the contemporary trends had to override correct period detail, especially for the ladies.

Indeed. I was rhetorically asking if the audience really wanted these tacky anachronistic references they were forcing into the work.

Gatsbyesque

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And Disney's Snow White didn't really look like a medieval princess.

This is nothing new, and they're still doing it today. Especially those shows that pretend to be realistic and gritty often look too slick, too fabulous and too muscular.

Barbara Stanwyck is an oddity because I never really know how old she's supposed to be in those 60s/70s shows and movies, and overall there's something peculiar about her but I can't quite put my finger on it.
Either way, Big Valley is on my to-watch list (it's all on YouTube) but I have no idea what to expect. I hope she does a lot of hysterical scenes.

She has what I call "wet eyes" (I know). She can seem slightly glazed over, which helps when she plays a crazy bitstch.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I always want to see Alexis wearing this outfit, a longer version of it, when Stanwyck's calls she, Sable and Caress "filthy whores" from her video will in the Carringtons' living room crowded with family.

Did they actually do that?? I can't even remember anymore...