• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Linda Gray compared Donald Trump to JR Ewing

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
From the Irish Independent newspaper:

Despite Dallas celebrating its 40th anniversary earlier this year, Gray dismissed the idea a character like JR would not be a hit with viewers today and said Mr Trump, who was a well-known tycoon before entering the White House, reminds her of her on-screen husband.

She told the Press Association: “We have a president like that. There are personalities like that around the world, it’s not just here.

“It’s that kind of big personality; the ego, the money, the deals and the philandering.

“I am talking about personalities, bigger-than-life personalities. Like JR, it’s all about the deal – how can we do this? How can we manoeuvre this?

“I find a lot of people who have an enormous amount of money, they have a lot of influence, they can influence a lot of people by the way they control things.”

Dallas star Linda Gray compares Donald Trump to JR Ewing

Ultimately, JR lost his company to his life long adversary.

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
Yip!! I agree, lots in common - money, power, women, influence, egos (dodgy hair too)

K

Karin Schill

In the 1980s people voted for JR Ewing for President. Now Donald Trump is President. Coincidence?

I don't know but it does say something about society.

Also I agree with Linda that Donald Trump and JR are alike in that sense. :giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:

Mustard

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes, they are similar personalities.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Gray dismissed the idea a character like JR would not be a hit with viewers today
If anything I'd argue television IS missing a character like J.R. Ewing. There is a simple answer why people were so attracted to him. Men wanted to be him. Women wanted to be with him. J.R. would never apologize for his behaviour and why should he? He relished the notion all eyes were on him when he entered the room. I'd imagine Donald Trump commands such a presence and this was before he was President.

The majority of male characters on television today put me to sleep. It's a trend that has occured I'd say in the last 20 years or so. Male characters - much like society - have been diluted. Where are the Jock Ewing's of today? A man's man.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
And Mandy would make a perfect Melania. Or maybe better Serena? Or even Angelica?

Laurie Marr

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Both JR and The Donald are adept at self promotion - but both also were serially in debt and embarked on ventures that belied their claims to be good at business.

stevew

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Both JR and The Donald are adept at self promotion - but both also were serially in debt and embarked on ventures that belied their claims to be good at business.

Usually takes the 3rd generation to fix the deal with the devil the first made and the mess the second made living up to, with or against the first. Things don’t calm down to the fourth.