Locations

Bill B.

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Moderators -- could anyone please delete my post # 934? It's the same as # 933. I don't know why it happened, but I had difficulties uploading the attachments. The next thing when I re-tried was that the post appeared twice, once with the pictures, the other time with just a link to them. If you delete it, please feel free to delete this paragraph from this post also in order to avoid any confusion.

Bill B. and johnmmil10 -- great to see you found Jenna's store!

Taylor Bennett Jr. -- is there a list of other locations used in "Black Market Baby"? For obvious budgetary reasons, location managers have a tendency to use various locations in the same neighborhood on the same shooting day. Maybe we can find the apartment house if we think from a producer's standpoint and look at the other sites they filmed for that episode?

By the way, has anyone compiled records of the locations discovered in this thread, maybe episode-wise like in an Excel file or something? I think that might support further research. Although I enjoyed watching "Dallas", it isn't my first priority, as you might know, but I've been cross-referencing many shows from the 1960's through the 1990's to fill in the gaps on falconcrest.org concerning missing locations and stumbled across so many familiar places so I'm happy to help out other forums and websites, which I've done over the last couple of years for various friends from other sites, including "Hart to Hart", "Scarecrow and Mrs. King", "The Dukes of Hazzard", "Knight Rider", etc. It's amazing how the location managers always use the same L.A. locations. I'm currently re-watching "Dallas" for cross-references of Lorimar props and picture cars for our "Beyond the Show" section on falconcrest.org so whenever I see a location I know, I'm happy to post it here.
You may want to check out my Facebook page .It's all about location filming at the Newhall Ranch in Valencia,CA.[around the old air strip and race track/moto cross track areas.]...Page name-"NEWHALL LAND,INDIAN DUNES TELEVISION FILMING HISTORY"....Many television shows/series filmed there...Sons Of Anarchy,Black Sheep Sqaudron,The Dukes Of Hazzard,The A-Team, Hunter,Mannix,Barnaby Jones,Hardcastle and McCormick,Blue Thunder series,CHIPs,MacGyver,The Fall Guy, The Six Million Dollar Man,The Bionic Woman,The Incredible Hulk,Knight Rider,Cannon,The Mod Squad,The Greatest American Hero,Adam 12,Remington Steele ,Wonder Woman,Voyagers,Dynasty,T.J. Hooker,Simon & Simon,Charlies Angels,Happy Days,Shazam,Airwolf , China Beach and Call To Glory along with the two part mini series "V".......Many movies were also filmed there!

Last edited:

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
In # 8.21 (DVD count) / 7.21 (original count), the gate and waiting area at the airport is what used to be gate 33 at terminal 3 (back then the TWA terminal) at LAX, 1 World Way, Los Angeles, CA 90045:

Dallas-DE8.21-43.18.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Unlike the arraignment (see post # 941), Jenna's trial in # 8.23 (DVD count) / 7.23 (original count) and the following episode is filmed at Alhambra Municipal Courts (both exteriors and interiors):

Dallas-DE8.23-1.JPG

Dallas-DE8.23-2.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
The establishing shot of Nathan Billing's office in # 8.24 (DVD count) / 7.24 (original count) features the Wilshire Federal Building (compare post # 930 for details):

Dallas-DE8.24-06.51.JPG

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Taylor Bennett Jr. -- is there a list of other locations used in "Black Market Baby"? For obvious budgetary reasons, location managers have a tendency to use various locations in the same neighborhood on the same shooting day. Maybe we can find the apartment house if we think from a producer's standpoint and look at the other sites they filmed for that episode?

By the way, has anyone compiled records of the locations discovered in this thread, maybe episode-wise like in an Excel file or something? I think that might support further research. Although I enjoyed watching "Dallas", it isn't my first priority, as you might know, but I've been cross-referencing many shows from the 1960's through the 1990's to fill in the gaps on falconcrest.org concerning missing locations and stumbled across so many familiar places so I'm happy to help out other forums and websites, which I've done over the last couple of years for various friends from other sites, including "Hart to Hart", "Scarecrow and Mrs. King", "The Dukes of Hazzard", "Knight Rider", etc. It's amazing how the location managers always use the same L.A. locations. I'm currently re-watching "Dallas" for cross-references of Lorimar props and picture cars for our "Beyond the Show" section on falconcrest.org so whenever I see a location I know, I'm happy to post it here.

Sue Ellen visits an adoption agency at 2000 Ross Avenue in Dallas and she buys Rita an apartment located at 3618 Gillespie in Dallas. That is all I can contribute for "Black Market Baby" locations.

Bill B.

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Sue Ellen visits an adoption agency at 2000 Ross Avenue in Dallas and she buys Rita an apartment located at 3618 Gillespie in Dallas. That is all I can contribute for "Black Market Baby" locations.
John,how did you come by the adoption agency at 2000 Ross avenue? [was it listed on the board Sue Ellen was looking at before entering the adoption office?]...In looking out the window behind the women speaking with Sue Ellen about adopting a baby the area does not look as it does at the 2000 Ross street location.There is a Trailways bus also seen through the same window from inside the adoption office.

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
In # 9.18 (DVD count) / 8.18 (original count), the waterfalls in the second establishing shot of Colombia (the one after the est. clip with the superimposed caption) is stock footage from the Wailua Falls in Kauai, Hawaii. Wailua Falls were used for "Fantasy Island", by the way. I'm not 100 % sure because I don't have "Fantasy Island" on DVD, but I think the footage was licensed from there.

Dallas-DE9.18-43.07.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Locations from # 9.24 (DVD count) / 8.24 (original count):

The establishing shot of the mansion on Martinique where the masquerade takes place is stock footage of Mary Pickford's former residence at 56 Fremont Place, Los Angeles, CA 90005. It is located in a gated community and a privately owned residence, but has been a heavily filmed location for decades:
Dallas-DE9.24-34.42.JPG

The interiors of the ball werde filmed at the Wilshire Ebell Theatre at 4401 West 8th Street, Los Angeles, CA 90005. The ballroom at the Ebell can be rented as a party location, wedding venue, etc. and is also a location managers' favorite:
Dallas-DE9.24-35.15.JPG

James from London

International Treasure
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
In season 6 (DVD) / 5 (original), there is the scene when Sue Ellen walks towards Holly Harwood's house just before she discovers Holly and J.R. in bed together. The exteriors of Holly's house was a Dallas location (compare post # 252 in this thread). Is it creative and illusionary editing that we get the idea Sue Ellen is in front of Holly's house, or was the scene actually filmed there?
Also, Sue Ellen's car crash that sealed Mickey's fate towards the end of that very season seems to have been filmed on the street right outside the Southfork Ranch gate.
Did they return to Dallas for filming a few scenes late in the season as an exception to their usual production process, or did they film these segments in advance, which would surprise me because in most cases the bible (although devised for the whole season) is usually altered a lot while filming progresses. The later it is in the season, the bigger the differences become between the original plotlines in the bible and the final shooting scripts. Does anyone know? Or does anyone have the shooting schedules and / or call sheets for those episodes by any chance?

Linda Gray said she went back to Texas to film the sequence outside Holly's house. Presumably, a second unit would have filmed the car crash at Southfork with stunt drivers as none of the actors are visible.

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
The establishing shot of the hotel where Angelica kills Nicholas in # 9.26 (DVD count) / 8.26 (original count) is stock footage. It features the exteriors of the Hôtel des Trois Couronnes, Rue d'Italie 49, CH - 1800 Vevey / Switzerland:

Dallas-DE9.26-41.27.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
In # 9.31 (DVD count) / 8.31 (original count), the street J.R. drives along with Angelica in the passenger's seat is Beverly Boulevard in Los Angeles. The street sign for the cross street visible just under Steve Forrest's opening credit is the 300 North block of McCadden Place. They are driving around various streets in Hancock Park until Angelica hops out and J.R. drives off.
I haven't ID'd the exact streets in the remaining segments, but the street lights and the overall look gives away that it's Hancock Park. Although I have no proof yet, I assume these scenes were probably filmed the same day as Pam & Mark's wedding, which was shot on the grounds of a heavily filmed Hancock Park mansion at 365 South Hudson Avenue.

Dallas-DE9.31-01.53.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Although it's not a real location in terms of a building, has anyone noticed that Mandy's audition presented in the screening room in # 10.11 (DVD count) / 9.11 (original count) was shot in one of the "Knots Landing" sets at Lorimar / MGM? It's Karen's kitchen!

Dallas-DE10.11-19.52.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Locations from # 10.13 (DVD count) / 9.13 (original count):

The establishing shot of Senator Andrew Dowling's office is stock footage of the U.S. Senate - Russell Senate Building (Southwest Entrance), 2 Constitution Avenue NE, Washington, D.C. 20002:
Dallas-DE10.13-03.00.JPG

The establishing shots of Bobby's hotel in South America are stock footage of the rear of the Royal Hawaiian Hotel in Waikiki. It is located at 259 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu, HI 96815:
Dallas-DE10.13-24.27.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
In # 10.14 (DVD count) / 9.14 (original count), the establishing shot of the restaurant where Donna and Jenna are having lunch is from the Boccaccio's (a restaurant where "Dallas" shot many interior scenes, but not this one) at The Landing, 32123 West Lindero Canyon Road, Westlake Village, CA 91361:

Dallas-DE10.14-36.17.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
The nightly establishing shot of Donna's hospital in # 10.18 (DVD count) / 9.18 (original count) is stock footage of what used to be building 3 of the Veteran Affairs Sepulveda OPC and Nursing Home at 1611 Plummer Street, North Hills, CA 91343. The building partly collapsed in the 1994 Northridge earthquake and was subsequently demolished:

Dallas-DE10.18-04.11.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Locations from # 10.19 (DVD count) / 9.19 (original count):

The Los Angeles hotel where Sue Ellen, Pam and the boys are staying (interiors and exterior shots at the pool) are from the old Ambassador Hotel at 3400 Wilshire Boulevard in L.A. The hotel was demolished and replaced by a school whose outer shell has the same shape as the historic hotel:
Dallas-DE10.19-Ambassador.JPG

Travel Town where B.D. Calhoun wants to meet J.R. is the actual Travel Town Museum in Griffith Park. The address is 5200 Zoo Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90027:
Dallas-DE10.19-37.12.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
In # 10.21 (DVD count) / 9.21 (original count), the exteriors of Jamie's apartment in L.A. are The Bellingham at 5260 Bellingham Avenue, Valley Village, CA 91607. Inconsistency: Jack's post card to Jamie as seen a few moments later is addressed to her at 9590 Wilshire Boulevard, Beverly Hills, CA 90048.

Dallas-DE10.21-24.40.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Donna and Ray's divorce in # 10.22 (DVD count) / 9.22 (original count): While the establishing shot features Alhambra Municipal Courts again (stock), the interiors are filmed in the same standing set at GMC Studios where Jenna's arraignment was shot (compare post # 941); the set was just redressed:

Dallas-DE10.22-32.37.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
The legal proceedings in # 10.25 (DVD count) / 9.25 (original count) are shot at GMC Studios again (compare posts # 934 and 959).

Dallas-DE10.25-35.12.JPG