Locations

Retired Account 1

Telly Talk Active Member
Retired Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Has anyone looked for the restaurant James and Michelle were going to buy in s13e23?
View attachment 21035
It was named Bentley’s. I have found a few old LATimes articles that refer to a Bentley’s at 3200 Ocean Park in Santa Monica. I also found a picture of a matchbook with the Santa Monica location, but the logo’s are a little different.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/55/29/3f/55293f897096f626ebfbb920dd3ab655.jpg
The address places it is a business park and some of the background buildings in the scene look like they could be from the correct area.
https://goo.gl/maps/Lke6v8T1MYkkxbBJA

Thoughts?

y es you re right it's the same area, great find!
Capture d’écran 2020-05-11 à 11.28.02.png

Bobby Southworth

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Someone asked earlier about where the filming location was for the episode when Bobby and JR's plane crashed. I'd be willing to bet it's in the same area as where JR, Jock, Ray and, Bobby camped out in Dove Hunt, possibly? Maybe in California. I know Dove Hunt was shot while they were still filming in Texas, but maybe some of those hunting scenes were done in California?

Last edited:

Taylor Bennett Jr.

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Someone asked earlier about where the filming location was for the episode when Bobby and JR's plane crashed. I'd be willing to bet it's in the same area as where JR, Jock, Ray and, Bobby camped out in Dove Hunt, possibly? Maybe in California. I know Dove Hunt was shot while they were still filming in Texas, but maybe some of those hunting scenes were done in California?

another interesting location along those lines is a site next to a lake where deranged groovy-van-driving marauder Willie Gust takes Lucy to camp for the night in Runaway. It's similar to Dove Hunt with the lake nearby and how they rather unconvincingly use filters to pretend it's night-time (or dusk or dawn or whatever it's supposed to be)

(this site must be in Texas, as several other Texas locations were used in the same episode)

Last edited:

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Lastkidpicked

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
@johnmmil10
About 2 summers ago, one of the people on these boards made a trip to Texas checking out many of the filming locations in person.

Was that you?

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
@Lastkidpicked I did a walking tour of downtown a while back just to see many of the places that appeared onscreen. I live about an hour away, so it’s not too far. Finding the time to get over there and explore is another thing! When I am in the Dallas area, my family hates it when I drag them to a place that was on Dallas. :) I was able to go to the Aldredge House right before COVID hit. That was a fun experience.

Lastkidpicked

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I did a walking tour of downtown a while back just to see many of the places that appeared onscreen. I live about an hour away, so it’s not too far. Finding the time to get over there and explore is another thing!

This is exactly what brings me back to the forums on a regular basis. I'm always out driving in my job, and many times I will think, "This is where Ewing 23 would be. I'm going to post about it and see what people think."

When you're downtown, do you ever think, "Right there is where Phyllis and Sly would have parked. Right there is where Cliff Barnes would have parked."

It's fun to notice things like that in your daily routine, isn't it?

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Hi there -- this thread is amazing. You've done a wonderful job identifying all these "Dallas" locations.

I am the president of falconcrest.org and have been cross-referencing various shows from that era to identify filming locations from "Falcon Crest". I am currently revisiting "Dallas" and wanted to share some information with you.

Please be advised my time stamps refer to the region 2 DVD release (PAL format) so in case you have NTSC discs, the time might vary slightly due to the 4 % PAL speedup.

In "Dallas" # 3.03 (as per original count) / # 4.03 (as per DVD count), the nightly establishing shot of the theatre (scene with Lucy and Mitch at 34:08) is a stock shot of the Wilshire Ebell Theatre at 4401 West 8th Street, Los Angeles, CA 90005:
Dallas--R2-4.03--PAL-34.08 (Lucy, Mitch).JPG

In # 3.06 (original count) / # 4.06 (DVD count), the nightly establishing shot of the restaurant at 23:25 where J.R. and Sally Bullock meet is from Cheerio's, the former restaurant that used to be at the corner of Ocean Avenue and Pico Boulevard in Santa Monica, CA. It was closed in 1987, and the building was destroyed by arson in 1988. It portrayed the Tuscany Valley Inn on "Falcon Crest", which basically used the entrance only. The establishing shot on "Dallas" features the circular part of the building, which was usually visible on the left of the frame in the shots on "Falcon". You can read more about the use of this location on "Falcon Crest" in our "Behind the Scenes" section: http://www.falconcrest.org/english/master.php?path=show/episodes/ai/bts/2/036:
Dallas--R2-4.06--PAL-23.25 (Larry, Joanna Cassidy).JPG

I'll be happy to keep my eyes open if I discover more locations while rewatching the classic "Dallas" and will let you know.

Lastkidpicked

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Thank you TJP!

Your post was great, but anytime I see "Falcon Crest", the theme song stays in my head the rest of the day!

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Can't remember the episode number, but I think Jock had lunch with Julie (Tina Louise) at a restaurant called The Saloon. I'm sure you guys will remember. The exterior shot was stock footage of the restaurant by the same name in real life.

saloon55.jpg

It used to be located on Little Santa Monica, but was destroyed by fire in the late 1980's. A store sits now in its place. The exact address was 9390 South Santa Monica Boulevard, Beverly Hills, CA 90210.

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Can't remember the episode number, but I think Jock had lunch with Julie (Tina Louise) at a restaurant called The Saloon. I'm sure you guys will remember. The exterior shot was stock footage of the restaurant by the same name in real life.

View attachment 21268

It used to be located on Little Santa Monica, but was destroyed by fire in the late 1980's. A store sits now in its place. The exact address was 9390 South Santa Monica Boulevard, Beverly Hills, CA 90210.

I believe your website is how I originally tracked down this exterior! Thanks for joining in on the fun! This exterior of this restaurant was used very frequently through the the run of Dallas but did not include the portion of the signage that said “The Saloon.”

Interestingly, in season 10 is was used again as the exterior of a Washington, D.C. restaurant (episodes 26 and 28)!

Taylor Bennett Jr.

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards

View attachment 21268

it's hard to argue with a place called the Saloon that serves both dinner *and* supper, not to mention the excellent cars parked in front!

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Here’s an exterior that pops up a few times on Dallas. In S12E24, Ellie goes to the San Angelo sheriff’s office. In S13E18 Ellie and Clayton Go to this police station and bail Rabbit out of jail. Two episodes later Atticus goes here to take a like detector test. In S14E10 this is the police station Carter McKay is brought to in connection to Johnny Dancer’s death.

5C3DE94C-61A4-4A30-9655-2B64B3E2DE66.jpeg

This building is actually the Thalsburg Building on the now Sony Studios lot. I suppose it made a convenient location for the cast and crew!

I have also seen this same building used as a police station twice in the first season of Knots Landing and as Pennsylvania’s William Penn Academy on Schooled.

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I was tracking down information about Cherrio’s (thanks for the info, @TJP!) and while conducting an image search, the results caught my eye.

I am pretty sure this building is one that came up on Dallas several times in the early seasons. Now, I can’t find any screenshots of it. I guess I should have kept a file of unidentified locations and their episodes.

Does this picture jog anyone else’s memory? Look familiar?
https://calisphere.org/item/2fb832fabfdda29f541c15e879540bab/

Attachments

• 83806D5C-0DB7-49A9-9E85-B6EEE0E8BE39.jpeg
    83806D5C-0DB7-49A9-9E85-B6EEE0E8BE39.jpeg
    39.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 652E02EE-46D4-4EAC-B79F-55C0BCC0C42A.jpeg
    652E02EE-46D4-4EAC-B79F-55C0BCC0C42A.jpeg
    56.6 KB · Views: 56

Retired Account 1

Telly Talk Active Member
Retired Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards

View attachment 21268

it also appears in an episode of Charlie's angels

Retired Account 1

Telly Talk Active Member
Retired Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
second season
Episode Election
scene filmed at the Ambassador hotel Los Angeles
it's clearly the same room
105478011_10220292138751450_8574339629838827088_n.jpeg