• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Locations

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
There are tons of locations of popular places in Munich and Vienna in # 12.23 (DVD count) / 11.23 (original count). I may revisit these episodes for a more detailed list when I have more time, but here are at least some:

Kunsthistorisches Museum (both exteriors and interiors), Maria-Theresien-Platz, A-1010 Wien / Österreich (Vienna / Austria):
Dallas-DE11.23-33.37.JPG

Dallas-DE11.23-34.JPG

J.R. seeing Vanessa again for the first time was filmed at the Vienna City Hall -- Rathaus Wien, Friedrich-Schmidt-Platz 1, A-1010 Wien / Österreich (Vienna / Austria):
Dallas-DE11.23-43.33.JPG

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Locations from # 12.21 (DVD count) / 11.21 (original count):

The interiors of the casting agency for Sue Ellen's movie in Hollywood are inside the MGM Plaza Building, now One Culver (see my previous post # 979). In the following scene, you can even see the red / white "Lorimar Studios" sign across the street (visible above Sue Ellen's head), which was installed on the top of sound stage 5. The view through this office window is in southwestern direction:
View attachment 21602

The restaurant where Afton performs in this a restaurant Lorimar loved to film at. I don’t remember the name, but it was located at 1000 Wilshire Boulevard, Santa Monica, CA 90401. I think it was called Santa Monica Seafood at a later time, but the whole building and its interiors were totally remodeled in the 1990’s:
View attachment 21603

That restaurant is Perino's! Go back to about page 25 of this thread for more posts about it.

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
That restaurant is Perino's! Go back to about page 25 of this thread for more posts about it.

Thanks, johnmmil10, for the correction. I compared the columns with the restaurant I had in mind, and you are definitely correct! It's Perino's.

Last edited:

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Locations from # 12.24 (DVD count) / 11.24 (original count):

The beginning of the scene with Cally and April in the horse carriage was filmed in front of the Neue Burg (the newer wing) of the Hofburg in Vienna / Austria. The general address of the Hofburg is Michaelerkuppel, A-1010 Wien / Österreich (Vienna / Austria). The Neue Burg is located on Heldenplatz:
Dallas-DE11.24-08.13.JPG

The library is actually the Prunksaal der Österreichischen Nationalbibliothek (the State Hall of the Austrian National Library) located at Josefsplatz 1, A-1010 Wien / Österreich (Vienna / Austria):
Dallas-DE11.24-11.51.JPG

Vanessa's hotel is, as the establishing shot indicates, the Hotel Imperial Wien (Imperial Hotel Vienna) at Kärntner Ring 16, A-1015 Wien / Österreich (Vienna / Austria). I am not entirely sure, but think that her suite was actually filmed inside this hotel, too:
Dallas-DE11.24-31.48.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Locations from # 13.02 (DVD count) / 12.02 (original count):

The Charleston Police Station is the same building that was used for (if I remember correctly) Ray and Donna's wedding. It's the City Hall in Culver City at 9770 Culver Boulevard:
Dallas-DE13.02-04.42.JPG

The Bank of New England (Ellie and Clayton's search) is an office building at 9543 Culver Boulevard, Culver City, CA 90232:
Dallas-DE13.02-24.17.JPG

The lobby where Tommy meets Boomer and where Tommy is later joined by Carter is the lobby of the MGM Plaza Building (nowadays One Culver) at 10000 Washington Blvd, Culver City, CA 90232. Compare my post # 979 for details about this building:
Dallas-DE13.02-41.37.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Locations from # 13.03 (DVD count) / 12.03 (original count):

The opening scene at the harbor and all later pier scenes involving J.R. in this and the following episode are from the Port of Los Angeles / Terminal Island. You can see the Vincent Thomas Bridge in the background:
Dallas-DE13.03-02.27.JPG

The building near which Tommy meets Rolf Brundin is the MGM Plaza Building (nowadays One Culver) at 10000 Washington Blvd, Culver City, CA 90232. Compare my post # 979 for details about this building. The awkward filming angle was obviously chosen to obscure the heavy use of the same location for all sorts of scenes:
Dallas-DE13.03-33.43.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Locations from # 13.05 (DVD count) / 12.05 (original count):

Marilee Stone's house is established by the usual stock shot of Arden Villa from "Flamingo Road" (compare my post # 967), which had already been used as Mark Graison's first house and Dr. Styles's house:
Dallas-DE13.05-23.10.JPG

The pool area and Marilyn's house itself are the Southfork set on the sound stage at Lorimar Studios. Saving production cost, the set was just redressed, but it's an embarrassingly minor and obvious redress:
Dallas-DE13.05-23.14.JPG

Cliff and April in downtown Dallas -- this is actually the pedestrian bridge over Avenue of the Stars in Century City, CA, connecting both sides of the street at the street number 1800 highrise and its (now demolished) twin building across the street:
Dallas-DE13.05-28.29.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Locations from # 13.06 (DVD count) / 12.06 (original count):

The Western town where Ellie and Clayton arrive is Laramie Street at Warner Bros. Studios, 4000 Warner Boulevard, Burbank, CA 91522. This was the last standing western set at The Burbank Studios / Warner Bros. at the time; it was demolished in 2003. It was located where nowadays Warner Village sits (a suburban-style anywhere-USA-type residential street that has real homes that serve as production offices, but are photogenic for exterior filming).
Just as a side note, back in the day when "Dallas" was shot, Warner had just fought off Lorimar's attempt of a takeover and, after merging with Time Inc., Warner Communications bought out Lorimar in turn (January 21, 1989). That's why many Lorimar shows filmed a lot more scenes at TBS / WB again in the 1989-90 season and beyond -- simply a matter of trimming down costs. In the complex transactions following WB's takeover of Lorimar, WB and Columbia dissolved their partnership in The Burbank Studios, which put WB back in control of TBS (now renamed WB Studios and Warner Bros. Ranch, the latter being the ex-Columbia Ranch) while Columbia became the owner of Lorimar Studios (previously MGM) in Culver City. Columbia, by the way, had just been sold by its parent company, Coca-Cola, to Sony at the time. A widely spread myth claims that settling a legal battle between WB and Sony over certain producers was the reason for transferring ownership of Lorimar Studios to Columbia, which was not the key factor though. It was basically a regulatory matter because a conglomerate consisting of WB and Lorimar plus Columbia (via their TBS joint venture) was out of the question from the standpoint of anti-trust laws.

Anyway, this was WB's Laramie Street:
Dallas-DE13.06-07.18.JPG

The establishing shot of the Paradise Motel where Clayton and Ellie are staying is stock footage of the motel by the same name (not a prop sign) located at 1116 West Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90012:
Dallas-DE13.06-25.57.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Locations from # 13.07 (DVD count) / 12.07 (original count):

Vanessa's hotel suite and the restaurant where she and J.R. meet were shot inside the Warner Center Marriott Hotel, 21850 Oxnard Street, Woodland Hills, CA 91376. The restaurant was remodeled beyond recognition since; in particular, the distinct shape of the doors and wall niches, which used to be the hallmark of this place, was totally redesigned.

Dallas-DE13.07-15.42.JPG

Dallas-DE13.07-21.41.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Locations from # 13.08 (DVD count) / 12.08 (original count):

Vanessa's hotel is portrayed by the former Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles in this episode. For more information about the demolished hotel, see my post # 958 in this thread.

Dallas-DE13.08-27.47.JPG

Dallas-DE13.08-38.46.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Locations from # 13.09 (DVD count) / 12.09 (original count):

The pedestrian bridge over the Avenue of the Stars in Century City, CA (compare my post # 989) is used again, this time with J.R. and Bobby when they run into Harv:
Dallas-DE13.09-20.16.JPG

The William Travis Building (sign is a prop, of course) is what is nowadays known as the Jimmy Stewart Building on the Sony Pictures Studios lot. When "Dallas" was filmed, it was known as the Producers' Building at MGM Studios / Lorimar Studios. Although there were a few other tenants in this building (MGM / UA and Poylgram), it was almost exclusively used by Lorimar from 1981 on (i.e. way before they purchased MGM Studios). Lorimar had previously been stationed mainly on The Burbank Studios (WB) lot, but needed more office space and rented almost the entire building from MGM. The building became Lorimar's administrative headquarters in 1981 with its own physical address at 3970 Overland Avenue, Culver City, CA 90230 (as opposed to the address of MGM Studios at 10202 West Washington Boulevard) and was accessible through the Overland Gate.
Prior to this episode, the building was utilized on "Dallas" for a number of other purposes, such as Pam picking up Miss Ellie in # 6.15 (DVD) / 5.15. (original), the Houston Memorial Hospital in # 7.23 and 7.28 (DVD) / 6.23 and 6.28 (original) and as the Graison Research facility in season 9 (DVD) / 8 (original count).
I am aware that I may have posted locations that have already been identified, but I usually don't revisit all previous pages in this thread to double check whenever I see something I want to share. Sorry if there might be any "superfluous" identification.
Dallas-DE13.09-31.40.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards

The scene with Bobby in Galveston, TX where he rings the bell at a small house at street number 10815 was filmed at the intersection of Studio Drive and Pickford Way in Culver City. The camera faces north at the corner first. The house at 10815 Pickford Way has been rebuilt since filming, and the new structure looks totally different, but some of the homes in the neighborhood still look the same today. You can check Google Street View and will realize the distinct fence behind the boy on the bike is still there, for example:
Dallas-DE13.10-12.29.JPG

Dallas-DE13.10-12.39.JPG

The restaurant scene is on the patio of Boccaccio's in Westlake Village, CA again:
Dallas-DE13.10-28.04.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
With regards to my post # 990, just to avoid any confusion:

Columbia (later Sony) became the owner of the lot of Lorimar Studios in Culver City only. Lorimar itself and all of its assets are owned by WB.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)

The pedestrian bridge over the Avenue of the Stars in Century City, CA (compare my post # 989) is used again, this time with J.R. and Bobby when they run into Harv:
View attachment 21670

The William Travis Building (sign is a prop, of course) is what is nowadays known as the Jimmy Stewart Building on the Sony Pictures Studios lot. When "Dallas" was filmed, it was known as the Producers' Building at MGM Studios / Lorimar Studios. Although there were a few other tenants in this building (MGM / UA and Poylgram), it was almost exclusively used by Lorimar from 1981 on (i.e. way before they purchased MGM Studios). Lorimar had previously been stationed mainly on The Burbank Studios (WB) lot, but needed more office space and rented almost the entire building from MGM. The building became Lorimar's administrative headquarters in 1981 with its own physical address at 3970 Overland Avenue, Culver City, CA 90230 (as opposed to the address of MGM Studios at 10202 West Washington Boulevard) and was accessible through the Overland Gate.
Prior to this episode, the building was utilized on "Dallas" for a number of other purposes, such as Pam picking up Miss Ellie in # 6.15 (DVD) / 5.15. (original), the Houston Memorial Hospital in # 7.23 and 7.28 (DVD) / 6.23 and 6.28 (original) and as the Graison Research facility in season 9 (DVD) / 8 (original count).
I am aware that I may have posted locations that have already been identified, but I usually don't revisit all previous pages in this thread to double check whenever I see something I want to share. Sorry if there might be any "superfluous" identification.
View attachment 21671

Every post amazes me more and more!! Kudos to you TJP!

:10:

That bridge in Century City reminds me of the one next to Mack Mackenzie´s office in "Knots Landing". It was used to exhaustion there...

southfork88

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I remember crossing the bridge several times on my trip to the USA (New York - Washington - Los Angeles - San Francisco - Dallas), being my hotel almost opposite the twin towers in Los Angeles.

So @TJP ...what was the name of my hotel ? ;)

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
southfork88 -- Are you talking of the Century Plaza further down Avenue of the Stars? It was used in so many movies and TV shows... I'm sure that hotel also posed as hotels in New York, Washington, L.A., San Francisco, Dallas, and many other places. ;)

Toni -- Yes, this IS the pedestrian bridge that was heavily used on "Knots", indeed.
Haven't had time to look through the KL forum on SoapChat yet, but is there a similar location thread there? I don't know when I have time to revisit "Knots Landing", but when I do so, I'll be happy to post my findings about KL filming locations.

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
In # 13.11 (DVD count) / 12.11 (original count), the establishing shot of the restaurant in Austin, TX in the episode opener is from the former restaurant named Le Dome, 8720 Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90069:
Dallas-DE13.11-02.35.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Locations from # 13.12 (DVD count) / 12.12 (original count):

The Texas State Capitol in Austin, TX is portrayed by itself. The stock shot is from a film library:
Dallas-DE13.12-20.52.JPG

April's new office is established by one of the Warner Center Towers at 21800 West Oxnard Street, Woodland Hills, CA 91367:
Dallas-DE13.12-25.21.JPG

TJP

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Locations from # 13.13 (DVD count) / 12.13 (original count):

The scene with James and Michelle at the marina was filmed at Burton W. Chace Park in Marina Del Rey, CA, as were the later scene with Cliff coming too late for his lunch with Diana and the ladies and the later scene with Bobby and Michelle in this episode:
Dallas-DE13.13-09.30.JPG

Diana Farrington's hotel is the former Ambassador Hotel on Wilshire Boulevard in Los Angeles.
The scene with James at the pool was filmed at the hotel's Lido Club Pool:
Dallas-DE13.13-21.47.JPG

They also filmed inside the hotel (lobby, stairway, hallways):
Dallas-DE13.13-27.53.JPG

Last edited: