Love Songs/Romantic movies: Did they cause more harm than good?

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm doing work listening to my beloved 80's music videos. They're wonderful, but I have to wonder if this image of romantic love set up expectations that could never be achieved by the average person, or are they just a good escape from the ordinariness of everyday life?

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm doing work listening to my beloved 80's music videos. They're wonderful, but I have to wonder if this image of romantic love set up expectations that could never be achieved by the average person, or are they just a good escape from the ordinariness of everyday life?

All entertainment is an escape from ordinary life I guess, but sure, romantic songs and movies can fill people's (especially young peoples's) heads with lofty expectations of what love and romance could or should be like. And sometimes it can be that, for a while, but there are also many songs and movies about what happens when the honeymoon is over too.

Kenny Coyote

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Good question @Jimmy Todd! In my opinion, no, songs that depict a wonderful image of romantic love that's hard to attain don't do more harm than good. In fact, I think they're important for people. They help people.

Why? The best answer to that I can give you is this excerpt from a Stevie Nicks interview:

Interviewer: Does it also make you angry that you are very vulnerable?

Stevie Nicks: No, because if I'm not vulnerable I won't ever write any more songs about vulnerabiity and then what am I doing? I need to help people. I need to make people believe that it's alright to be vulnerable and to be a little naive and to be still be sweet and kind and good."

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Good question @Jimmy Todd! In my opinion, no, songs that depict a wonderful image of romantic love that's hard to attain don't do more harm than good. In fact, I think they're important for people. They help people.

Why? The best answer to that I can give you is this excerpt from a Stevie Nicks interview:

Interviewer: Does it also make you angry that you are very vulnerable?

Stevie Nicks: No, because if I'm not vulnerable I won't ever write any more songs about vulnerabiity and then what am I doing? I need to help people. I need to make people believe that it's alright to be vulnerable and to be a little naive and to be still be sweet and kind and good."

This is a wonderful quote! So true that
music is a way to keep ideals alive.