• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Mack - a good character?

Billy Nolan

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
While watching the series after almost 20 years, I noticed how little I like the role of Mack. He's portrayed as the "good guy" on the show - and he's certainly got some wonderful parts, but in my opinion he's a very conservative, narcissistic and self-righteous man. When Karen talks about her problems, it seems that he is only half listening or smiling away at her issues. His issues are inflated and he often takes a very conservative stance. Especially when it comes to raising Karen's children and his daughter Paige. He married into the Fairgate family, moved into Karen's house and shortly thereafter behaved as the "landlord". The German voice actor for Kevin Dobson made a similar statement about the role at the time. Interestingly, he also voiced Robert Foxworth on the Falcon Crest series (the voice actor is best known in our country as the voice of Eddie Murphy) - and he even said he thought Robert Foxworth was a better actor than Kevin Dobson. I would almost say Mack is the character I like least of all of the lead roles. Opinions about "Mack"?

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Not much opinion about him. Never mind him. And I kinda like the actor. But I was a teen in heat when I watched the show the first time, so many Knots males could easily give me the hots.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I thought he was too rude and overbearing when he first appeared - and just generally "not Sid". But I grew to like him more as time went on and the layers were peeled back.

TJames03

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Dreadful. Annoying. Bland. And those are the good things I can say....

Mack’s toupee had more personality. That’s why I love Diana - she always loathed him.....

JROG

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Mack was certainly not as complex or fascinating a character as Gary, Richard, or Greg (or the ladies for that matter), but I thought he was specific, well-rounded, dimensional, and played by an appealing actor. He didn't talk/behave like anyone else and I always appreciated how he was the "every man" but the show still presented more 'negative' aspects to him, like his yelling.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Not much opinion about him. Never mind him. And I kinda like the actor. But I was a teen in heat when I watched the show the first time, so many Knots males could easily give me the hots.

I pretty much feel the same way. I thought he was a "good" husband to Karen though as I really can't imagine her as a spinster widow or being out in the dating pool too long. I think he filled a part of the show that was needed, but I can't say that I feel very strongly about him one way or another. He filled the part of Karen's second husband basically.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
When he was added, there was likely a feeling among the writers that they needed a brash, loud character-type to bring out the parts of Karen that Sid did not. We saw flashes of "crusading Karen" during the early seasons, but Sid seemed to be a calming presence (not only for Karen, but for everyone around him). It was easy to forget that Karen was also raised in a big city--and might have very easily have been as outspoken and loud as Mack. Years of life in quiet suburbia with Saint Sid may have 'tamed' those behaviors, and the writers wanted her interactions with Mack to bring out her now-dormant "shouty side". His unapologetic heroism would be a good contrast to Abby's unapologetic villainy in that period, as well.

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I love that Mack was a "husband" replacement, and not a Sid replacement. I loved that the show took time before Karen was able to consider dating again.
Watch Nu Dynasty : it took what? 2 or 3 episodes after Cristal1's death for Blake to fall in love with Cristal2...

Knots is for sure an old school night time soap. But it was very clever, very "real". Not all the time, but the characters had organics relationships. They had day life concerns... Making the characters "real" really helped me to care about them. So whatever could happen to them felt strong. I mean, Laura and Greg... If you knew how much I cried, literally cried with a lot of tears , when I first watched Greg's reaction to Laura's video after her death.

Last edited:

Billy Nolan

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Dreadful. Annoying. Bland. And those are the good things I can say....

Mack’s toupee had more personality. That’s why I love Diana - she always loathed him.....
Wonderful comment!!! Nothing more to say. I feel the same...

I would go almost as far as to say that I don't like the actor either. In interviews he comes across as being much in love with himself and arrogant. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I really like this new forum. Now I can see when people quote someone I put in my ignored list.
Yet I still don't see him or the quote. Very nice feat.

Brian Kinney

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
but in my opinion he's a very conservative, narcissistic and self-righteous man.

Conservative? Yes. But Mack seems to be the only one among all the lead roles (I don't recall that in Sid; Joshua is an extreme example in a supporting role). Ironic that Mack the avenger for Joe Average is more conservative than the capitalist Greg he often fights. Greg and Abby the power grabber are only conservative when it serves their business, they don't think so in private. (Greg is almost a hedonist and Abby a liberal feminist.)

But is Mack narcissistic and self-righteous? To a certain point every KL character had self-righteous attitudes - that's needed to explain characters more active sides, giving them shades to avoid one-dimensionality - so even Val or Laura had it but less than Lilimae, Abby or Karen of course. Karen was on par with Mack so why should she notice? I don't see any narcissism in Mack - ZERO.

Yes, Mack often had a smirk in his face when others told serious stuff but some people react like this, e.g. couples. Especially if a wife talks so much more than her husband does. I'm talking Karen. Imagine for a moment to live in Karen's everyday world, always running through the house like a Duracell bunny, discussing her kids problems in the morning to the first coffee, all of her neighbors dramas at lunch and listening to neglectable stories of people she works with in the evening. How long would you give a considerate serious face to all that non-stop drama? Even a Colin Firth wouldn't muster that without anaesthesia. And then imagine you have your wife's favorite half-crazy neighbor every second day in your kitchen talking even more outlandish nonsense. This is why Mack is the only character we see drinking beer at daylight. Mack reflects the viewers disbelief in strange stories. However he didn't hesitate to research and help his family and friends despite their over-dramatic attitudes. He's just not taking any allegation for granted.

To me Kevin Dobson's Mack was a different type of guy who brought a new dynamic nuance to a show where the female roles dominated the story telling and didn't observe too much his acting. (I liked him in Kojak.) Of course Dobson wasn't in William Devane's acting class and he missed the boyish charm Ted Shackelford had or the depth of John Pleshette but he had chemistry with Michele Lee (and Donna Mills in their handful of scenes) and was solid enough to fill the gap left by veteran actor Don Murray and that is an achievement.

@Billy Nolan: is Dobson's German voice actor the same he had for Crocker in Kojak (Einsatz in Manhattan)?

Last edited:

Billy Nolan

LV

Reaction score
Awards
@Billy Nolan: is Dobson's German voice actor the same he had for Crocker in Kojak (Einsatz in Manhattan)?

No. Randolf Kronberg was Dobson´s voice actor in "Unter der Sonne Kaliforniens". He also was Eddie Murphy´s voice. Kronberg passed away in 2007.
In "Kojak" - "Einsatz in Manhattan" Dobson´s voice actor was Hans-Werner Bussinger. see below - column of performers and voice actors
crocker.jpg

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've always preferred Sid to Mack. The qualities generally attributed to Mack, like kind, good, steadfast, and so forth, are sometimes why I don't like him. He can certainly be cheesy and too cute, and his good seems to absorb him. It's not that I object to people being good, it's just I don't it when it doesn't seem like the niceness is genuine. Mack seemed to present a facade of false niceness, even if you really know he is "good" deep down.

I could easily say all of this for Karen, too.

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I liked Mack a lot. He and Karen made a very believable (and funny) couple. Yeah, he was flawed, but that's a good thing in a drama. And I thought Kevin Dobson was great. I especially liked his scenes with Michael, Val and Paige. The Jason Locher story could have been horribly worthy, but Dobson pitched it just right.

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I liked Mack as a character because he was good, strong, heroic, as well as (at times) annoying and obnoxious. He was a real person who fit in well with all the other "real" characters on KL while also being different. Plus, he had great chemistry with Karen, and I loved them as a couple.

Billy Nolan

LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've always preferred Sid to Mack. The qualities generally attributed to Mack, like kind, good, steadfast, and so forth, are sometimes why I don't like him. He can certainly be cheesy and too cute, and his good seems to absorb him. It's not that I object to people being good, it's just I don't it when it doesn't seem like the niceness is genuine. Mack seemed to present a facade of false niceness, even if you really know he is "good" deep down.

I could easily say all of this for Karen, too.

I absolutely agree. Mack never looked like a "real" or "authentic" character to me. I've always wondered what exactly is behind this facade? The series always lived from the controversy of the characters, but Mack seems to be more one-dimensional in my eyes than the other roles. I would even go so far as to claim that he severely weakened Karen's original political intentions (e.g. participation in demonstrations for local and world political issues).

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I absolutely agree. Mack never looked like a "real" or "authentic" character to me. I've always wondered what exactly is behind this facade? The series always lived from the controversy of the characters, but Mack seems to be more one-dimensional in my eyes than the other roles. I would even go so far as to claim that he severely weakened Karen's original political intentions (e.g. participation in demonstrations for local and world political issues).
From the way I understand it, the writers really want some "strong" male characters to draw in bigger Nielsen numbers among men. Mack could vaguely be described as strong, good, and stable. I think his main claim was stability. He and Karen were the "rock solid" couple. Whomever Karen was to be with following Sid's death (Sid and Karen were the "rock" couple at the start) needed to provide similar stability.

I could see where some might think he weakened Karen's ambitions. But I'd also agree that Karen needed to be reeled in a little because she could get a little too liberal minded and carried away. And that theology is really a little shaky. Karen let had a successful business career at Lotus Point and she hosted a television talk show. He might have stopped her running head first into politics or something similar, but she was still a freethinker and capable of making her own decisions. And she did so quite often.