• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Man changes his name to iPhone 7

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
A man just changed his name to iPhone 7 to get a free phone.

Just when you think this year couldn't get any weirder, 2016 hits us with another ridiculous event that makes you question the state of the modern world.

Today it is the story of Olexander Turin, the 20 year-old from Ukraine who is now officially known as iPhone Sim (Seven).

But it wasn't all for nothing. iPhone Sim changed his name to iPhone 7 in order to win an iPhone 7.

The name change comes after an electronics store offered a free Apple iPhone 7 to the first five people to make the name change.

Which means it would kind of suck if you were the sixth person to turn up with the deed poll.

Of course, it is the cheaper option, as the phone costs starts $850 in the Ukraine, while a name change costs $2. You don't need to do the maths.

While Sim admitted his family were at first resistant to the change (which you can understand), he said they are now supportive.

His sister, Tetyana Panina told the New York Post: "It was difficult to accept that and hard to believe it's true."

However, she later added: "Each person in this world is looking for a way to express himself. Why not do that in this way?"

But will he ever change the name back? Well, the man admitted he may revert back to his original name when he has children.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
However, she later added: "Each person in this world is looking for a way to express himself. Why not do that in this way?"
Then she's even more stupid than he is. I'm sure no-one's going to call him iphone.
How long does he have to use the name (on paper) and how many times can you change your name?

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
What a prat!!
needs his head examined

i might change my name to Barbara eleanor, victoria, pamela, linda, sue ellen, susan, donna, cherlene, lucy bel geddes, principal, gray, howard, tilton, ewing, farlow, barnes, southworth

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
How long does he have to use the name (on paper) and how many times can you change your name?
I have no idea, he's from Ukraine, not that I know the laws about this in the UK anyway lol

What a prat!!

I remember people going crazy when parents started naming their babies after places they conceived them and now that feels like the norm.

Maybe in 20 years we'll have a few iPhones, Tablets, iPods and Snap-Chats running around the school playground.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
A few days ago I heard on the radio that children of married people could also have the mother's surname, and also that it's possible to have the surname of both parents!
I didn't know that. Two surnames...that looks a bit like royalty...
I believe it's about equality between the sexes, although I'm not sure if this is really necessary. I mean it's just a tradition that the child gets the name of the father...is that so awful?
Besides, switching surnames is going to make the family trees very complicated...

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
A few days ago I heard on the radio that children of married people could also have the mother's surname, and also that it's possible to have the surname of both parents!
I didn't know that. Two surnames...that looks a bit like royalty...
That's been happening here since I was in school, they just call it double barrelled names, much like females keeping their original surname when they marry.

Wifey kept her name and we married in '94

J. R.'s Piece

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
That's been happening here since I was in school, they just call it double barrelled names, much like females keeping their original surname when they marry.
My mother tried to do that. I put a stop to it soon enough. Whereas one of my half-siblings named it's children after it's male partner and later claimed to have been married. Except I was the first to figure that the marriage was a lie and banished them.

Then she's even more stupid than he is. I'm sure no-one's going to call him iphone.
I wouldn't do the same as iPhone has. Except for a package deal, obviously. I wouldn't rule out the possibility.

Besides, switching surnames is going to make the family trees very complicated...
No. The person stays in the same position.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
No. The person stays in the same position
Technically, yes. But imagine if they did this on soaps i.e. inconsistently using the surname of father or mother. It would be impossible to follow the storylines, and certainly the many, many paternity storylines.

Now I know where the name of one our forum members come from:)

J. R.'s Piece

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Technically, yes. But imagine if they did this on soaps i.e. inconsistently using the surname of father or mother. It would be impossible to follow the storylines, and certainly the many, many paternity storylines.
But on Hollyoaks, Sienna Blake gave her daughter Nico (who seems to have been deliberately burned to death in the maze by Cameron Campbell in last night's episode) the name of Sophie. And Nico's stepfather Ben Bradley gave Nico the surname Bradley. And Nico learned her biological father (Mark "Dodger" Savage AKA Mark Blake, who is the son of Patrick and Anna Blake, discovered both his biological parents and his sister...Dodger's half-brother Will Savage drowned their mother in the bath and Dodger's daughter murdered Dodger's father) is her mother's twin brother, although her parents didn't know they were related to each other at the time of conception. So Nico's mother is/was her aunt and her father is/was her uncle. And being incestuously conceived means that her matrilineal and patrilineal grandparents were the same two people. All incredibly simple.

Last edited:

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
I know someone from the early days of the forum who changed his name legally to JR Ewing.

But that's acceptable.:spinning:

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Didn't a couple name their child #Hashtag a few years ago? That's pretty hateful if you aske me. A name should be something you really love. Something personal or meaningful or something that just sounds beautiful and right for this little tiny perfect person you have made.
People today are just assholes. lol

I get naming your child after a place. A place can be beautiful, romantic, exotic, even feel magical. A name taken from a song or poem or a film or book is also fine, but Hashtag and iPhone are not beautiful. They are common unnecessary things. If you think about it a phone is a really annoying thing and Hashtag represents the essence of vapidity. Reading this has made me hate Apple even more now and I have a secret inner shame that I own an iPhone again! To it represents being part of the problem, of this need for constant inane stimulation. I bought it on impulse because I needed a new phone and the deal was good. To think that someone would change their name to iPhone in order to obtain one makes me die a little inside. It's not even funny. It's terrifying.

J. R.'s Piece

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Oh, Alexis! While I hold legal ownership of an iPhone, technically I don't actually own it, although I run it, care for it and take it to bed every night. At my main secondary outer level where I am seen to the world as bubbly, playful and freespirited (outside the tent), I agree with you that such naming is indeed terrifying. And yet, at my unemotional and unwavering ruthlessly efficient complicated precision mechanism core (unseen, directing matters from inside the tent), I appreciate it as a sound business decision for all parties.

I worked with someone who named her child Nairobi. It later emerged that she didn't know that Nairobi was a place name when she named him. In fact, she didn't know it was a place name until that conversation.