Reaction score
Awards
Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i'm for the movement but iv'e read plenty of female celebrities say that while it has helped some it's also hurting it too. she did explain why she thinks so but i can't remember what she said

Hell O'Drama

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Miriam Margolyes gives her two penn'orth on MeToo and the gender pay gap in this video.

Miriam Margolyes said:
The MeToo thing is great, but I think it can overbalance and become a witch hunt, and that's stupid.

I think people talking about a hand on the knee fifteen years ago... is not serious enough... It's obvious what's assault and what isn't.

Now I've never been groped, unfortunately... because I wasn't attractive enough. But, let me tell you, I did have an experience with Warren Beatty...

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
another backlash that is hurting not so much the movement is that it's hurting Comedy there's so much you cannot say anymore as jokes like in stand up for example that if you say this or that you are deemed sexist. even if you aren't it's not right comedy should be a place you can make fun of anyone, sure there's shit you should not make fun of like rape for example it's all about context and how you say it. you can say certain stuff that clearly isn't funny into something funny depending on how you say it. look up the George Carlin Bit on exactly this and he says it a billion times better than i am here.

bmasters9

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Have you ever considered that maybe those who overuse #metoo and #timesup are engaging in a cognitive distortion called mind reading?

What I mean by that is that if someone has a fantasy about them (a private fantasy, with no intention of rape), some #metoo people might automatically think that just the fantasy implies an intention to rape or even an actual rape itself (again, distorted understanding of Matt. 5:28 taught in many evangelical churches, where it's taught that if you fantasize about a woman, you are automatically guilty of having relations with or possibly violating that very same woman, even if she is not even in your bed; this leads many people to think that if they are guilty of actual relations/violation just for fantasizing, might as well go ahead and do it, because they're guilty); I may have said this before, but the way I see that verse is that it means not to try to take someone else's wife away from him, and if your intentions are in that direction, that's where you're wrong.

Unfortunately, some #metoo and #timesup proponents don't think that way, and I think that such a distorted pattern takes attention off those who actually were violated, and makes the false claimants become the headlines.