Most iconic costumes

nolanmillercollector

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
I think the makeup artist is trying to match the makeup to a color in the dress? Only logical explanation I can think of...

Yes. The shoulders look off on Sophia, but look good on Linda. (The dress was custom made for Linda.) Linda was known to be wide shouldered with a small waist-- inverted triangle shape. Joan was more hour glass shaped. Notice Linda never has big plumes or puffs etc on her shoulders like Joan's gowns and a few of Diahann's.

Mike

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Do you know who made this gown?I just found out.
4463128_orig.jpg
Towering-Inferno-Fred-Astaire-Jennifer-Jones-Astaire-1974.JPG
d3a9bd452e384216a968ca1e956ecadd.jpg e45343a18773bec480f626a64aeed696.jpg

Mike

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes it is The Towering Inferno.I was on another site and they said Jennifer Jones gown was done by Nolan.Nolan know alot of the older stars.He made a gown for Susan Hayward,so she could wear it to the Oscars.She loved it so much that she was buried in it.I have never seen a picture of that gown.

nolanmillercollector

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Nolan dressed some of the biggest stars in the world. I love Bob Mackie's work, but its crazy to me that Bob Mackie is so much more famous and rewarded for his talents than Nolan. Bob Mackie has 9 Emmy's for costume design, Nolan only has.... ONE!?? Can you believe it?! I don't understand. Nolan designed for every Old Hollywood A-List star, Elizabeth Taylor in her 80s prime, Dynasty, etc.... Bob Mackie designed for Cher... Am I missing something here?

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Nolan dressed some of the biggest stars in the world. I love Bob Mackie's work, but its crazy to me that Bob Mackie is so much more famous and rewarded for his talents than Nolan. Bob Mackie has 9 Emmy's for costume design, Nolan only has.... ONE!?? Can you believe it?! I don't understand. Nolan designed for every Old Hollywood A-List star, Elizabeth Taylor in her 80s prime, Dynasty, etc.... Bob Mackie designed for Cher... Am I missing something here?
I prefer Nolan Miller's work but to be fair to Mackie he didn't just design for Cher. That would be like saying that Nolan Miller only designed for DYNASTY. Both had long careers and designed for a multitude of stars. Mackie was the costume designer for the Carol Burnett show throughout it's 11 year run. That's where he met Cher, if I recall correctly. Just look at his wiki page. It's certainly impressive. I think Mackie is also the more well known because his work was seen a lot on music stars like Cher or Diana Ross.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Mackie

nolanmillercollector

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Alexis, I agree. Not trying to take anything away from Bob Mackie. He is a wonderful designer. But I just feel that Nolan should not be so far behind him in awards and recognition. And in actuality I think Nolan was better! I mean, c'mon... Nolan only has ONE Emmy for ALL his years of designing beautiful costumes for 9 seasons of Dynasty, Gilligan's Island, Love Boat, Hotel, Green Acres, etc...

I just don't see how The Carol Burnet Show and Mama's Family can compare to Dynasty, Gilligan's Island (Ginger), Love Boat, Green Acres (Eva Gabor), and more.... Mama's Family the costumes were hideous and stupid. That deserves the same prestige as the gowns and costumes of Dynasty??? NUTS!

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Alexis, I agree. Not trying to take anything away from Bob Mackie. He is a wonderful designer. But I just feel that Nolan should not be so far behind him in awards and recognition. And in actuality I think Nolan was better! I mean, c'mon... Nolan only has ONE Emmy for ALL his years of designing beautiful costumes for 9 seasons of Dynasty, Gilligan's Island, Love Boat, Hotel, Green Acres, etc...

I just don't see how The Carol Burnet Show and Mama's Family can compare to Dynasty, Gilligan's Island (Ginger), Love Boat, Green Acres (Eva Gabor), and more.... Mama's Family the costumes were hideous and stupid. That deserves the same prestige as the gowns and costumes of Dynasty??? NUTS!
It could be that for years DYNASTY wasn't seen in a good light and probably still isn't. I mean it's obviously popular here and to a certain audience. Though to many the clothing is seen as outdated (bad) 80s fashion. Very over the top and unrealistic, unwearable. I especially think a lot of people adopted that mind set in the 1990s. Also his association with Spelling probably hurt his reputation. Spelling is known as a prolific producer and very successful but he is known for producing not great TV shows.

You can put someone like Cher in rhinestones and sequins and feathers and everyone will think it's great because it's Cher and it's likely for a song or performance. Those outfits are costumes though, not clothes. A lot of the stuff Nolan did was similar but people don't really dress that way now and his iconic gowns would come off to some more as costumes too.

Personally I think Nolan's work is art and a perfect mix of an homage to old Hollywood and cutting edge 1980s fashion. I have been hoping someone would write a book on Nolan Miller. One really needs to be put out to showcase his career and his designs.

Zara

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Alexis wore a hideous yellow outfit in season 6, when she stormed into Blake's office to complain about "Krystle" (for like the 100th time:D).

JC was/is rather petite, and because of that she looked her best when she was not buried in 80's bulkyness. LE could pull more off because she had a different body type. But overall Alexis had a better wardrobe than Krystle.

@Ked - My big secret: I like the cow-printed blouse/outfit on Krystle.

Mike

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
You have to remember that Nolan got inspiration from the 30's,40's and the 50's designers.I think the older stars new he would never make them look bad.

nolanmillercollector

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Alexis, Dynasty was the number 1 show in America in 1985... It was a popular show. But I agree, it is a shame there is not a coffee table book or something on Nolan's designs like there are for Bob Mackie, Travilla, etc. That is a great description of Nolan's designs-- Old Hollywood meets the 80's! Some of his more beautiful designs had a greater emphasis on the Old Hollywood part.

Zara, on Dynasty Joan was a size 6 and is 5'6" tall. Now she is probably a size 12 or so.

Mike you are right! Nolan idolized the Old Hollywood glamour of those days, and later went on to design for the leading ladies of that era-- Joan Crawford, Bette Davis, Barbara Stanwyck, Lana Turner, etc.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Alexis, Dynasty was the number 1 show in America in 1985
Oh yes, of course at the time it was huge and the fashion was loved and a reason for watching. Though I remember people saying how awful it all was when I was watching reruns in the late 1990s. Give me 1980s fashion over the '90s any time. The '90s were dull and ugly.

nolanmillercollector

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Alexis, I see what you meant now. That makes sense. The show and its costumes became very dated the following decade. Ive always liked them for some reason... but I'm partial to the glam 80s.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards