• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

My Thoughts on Seasons 12─14

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
This has been a long time coming for me. If any of you have followed my posts, you will know that I occasionally suffer from extremely long periods of viewership fatigue. In concerning Knots Landing, for instance, I started the show several years ago. I binge-watched the first several seasons (after I got the entire series on bootleg), with my interesting gradually slacking off after Val got her twins back at the end of season six. It has taken me probably three or four years to make it through seasons seven up till where I am now, nearing the end of season eleven.

Anyway, I'm fixing to start season twelve tomorrow. I figured I'd take the time for these last three seasons and dedicate an entire thread to it and my opinions concerning it.

I'll come periodically come back to this thread to give my thoughts and critiques on these final three seasons of Knots Landing.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I started season twelve yesterday. I only had the time to watch the first episode, so I'll just toss in my thoughts about that episode alone.

First, I've got to say that I'm glad the opening credits have the pictures of the cast back. Knots Landing has too many names in the opening not to show their faces. Most people probably skid through the credits, but I'm one of those geeks that generally want to watch the opening with every single episode. But I've talked about that in my Open Credits Discussional thread, so I don't want to analyze that here too much.

When this episode started, there were a few changes I picked up on immediately. First, I felt like there's a shift away from the more suspenseful opening that gave Knots an almost police procedural vibe. There seems to be an edge towards a more soap opera-type look, albeit a daytime one. It's not that this is necessarily a bad thing, or even if the rest of you all even noticed this, but it's just something I've observed.

We know that Jeff is the only stalking Karen, but he hasn't made his move yet. I know that sometimes story-arcs like this one might be drawn out for suspenseful and/or dramatic effect, but I do sort of wish they'd let Jeff make his move already. I was kind of disappointed (in some odd kind of way) that they didn't make Wayne the stalker at the end of season eleven, but even if they had been the story, I probably would've been let-down by their decision to do so. Even though Wayne is totally weird, he doesn't seem like the stalker type. He's obsessive, sure, but he doesn't have any weird desire to put Karen in any danger. He wants to protect her, and I believe him. Jeff, on the other hand, I should have noticed the clues given about him and his character. I'm curious to see how this all plays out. I'm guessing they're going to have Wayne save Karen from Jeff, but I could be wrong with that hunch.

So, apparently, Michael and Linda became a "thing" sometime between the conclusion of season eleven and the start of season twelve. To entirely honest, I don't really know if I like this or hate it, but I'm kind of circling in on how much I just don't really care. I remember reading in a lot of different threads about how much most fans hate Linda Fairgate, and I can totally see where they're all coming from now. She's playing on Michael's good nature for her own personal gain, which isn't uncommon in soaps, but I wanted more for Michael. He's always getting the short end of the stick when it comes to his relationships with women, and I was just hoping that he'd finally end up with a girl that loves him back. I was thinking there for a bit that they'd soften Linda to make her more suitable for Michael, but instead they've made her more ruthlessly vindictive. I don't like it. She really just needs to leave Michael alone.

We've been discussing Gary and Val a lot in these threads, and that's alright. They're the two characters that connected us from Dallas to Knots Landing (which was broken when Pam Ewing decided to have a season-long dream in 1986), so it's quite obvious that we discuss them as routinely as we do. The show's producers, and especially Joan Van Ark and to a lesser extent Ted Shackelford, sell Gary and Val as the cul-de-sac's Romeo and Juliet. And indeed they are. Almost all of the audience has wanted them to get back together ever since Gary walked out on Val for Abby back at the end of year three. Now we're getting that. I was personally ready for them to get back together if only to be a start a stable home life for Betsy and Bobby. Good grief, those two kids have been through a lot; kidnapping, loosing their first "Daddy" in South America, loosing their Granny Lilimae for road trips, having their mother marry that psycho-rapist Danny, and now finding out that their Uncle Gary is their "real" Daddy. Anyway, maybe Gary and Val will get their acts together and mellow out some. I'm not holding my breath for it, though.

Then there's the Paige/Greg/Tom story that's been twirling for a while. Greg blackmailed Tom into leaving Paige alone at the altar, which thwarted Anne's plans of deviously inheriting Paige's rightful inheritance. Anne's always got her mind spinning, but this plan has hit the ground without the skids.

Greg's sister, Claudia, and her daughter, Kate, have popped up in town. I'm so glad to see them, too. I can't wait to see what they have in store for us.

I'll be back periodically to give my thoughts on these seasons. The DVDs I have typically have five episodes, so I'll probably come back after I complete each disc.

Happy viewing!

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
When this episode started, there were a few changes I picked up on immediately
I thought it was the dialogue, or the way it was delivered. Something in the tone of it all that seemed different to me.
And then there's more to come...I wonder what you're going to make of it!

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I thought it was the dialogue, or the way it was delivered. Something in the tone of it all that seemed different to me.
And then there's more to come...I wonder what you're going to make of it!
I can definitely see that, too. It's like they seem a little more subdued now. I honestly cannot pinpoint the exact difference, but yes it is certainly noticeable.

You all will get to read all about what I think about what's to come. I'll be back to write my two cents.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Alright I just finished a disc and I came back just like I promised. Hooray for my honesty.

The first thing I must address is what they've done with Karen and her stalker story. Everything that was possible was done to heighten the suspense surrounding who was stalking Karen because of her work on Open Mike nearing the end of season eleven, but it was kind of skidded over here at the start of the twelfth season for a couple of episodes. We all know it wasn't Wayne (even though I had my eye on him as the guilty party), and that it was instead Karen's coworker Jeff who had fed an unhealthy obsession with her. Jeff's house explodes, and we're led to believe that it was Jeff's body the police find burnt beyond recognition when combing his house. I honestly thought that was just going to be the show's way of ditching this story altogether and leave Karen utterly clueless as to who had been causing her sleepless nights. I wasn't going to be okay with that. Not in the slightest. A few episodes stroll on by before we see Karen walking in the TV station alone late one night only to find Jeff in the production booth. She's startled that he's alive, but yet a little shook as well. It isn't long before Jeff's true colors come out and he attacks her. Diane pops up, however, and apparently tries to feed Jeff's desire to harm Karen before the police usher in the side door and take Jeff into custody. Diane tells the police she recorded the whole incident (after calling the police, of course) and says what she told Jeff was only a ploy to distract him before the authorities could arrive. It's all a little silly to be honest, and it seems like it was just thrown together. "Oh, guys, we forget about Karen's story. We need to wrap that up before we go any further." Well, they wrapped it up alright. They had it all signed, sealed, and delivered before the credits of that episode were barely finished popping up at the bottom of the screen. It was all a waste honestly. A quite disappointing waste.

Oh, Danny. What's there to say about Danny? He's always got a trick or two up his sleeve. He releases Gary's horses from his stables at the ranch and when Gary arrives to see what's going on, Danny turns the tables on him and locks him inside his barn and threatens to harm him physically with a baseball bat. Sound familiar? Well, it certainly should. It's the same thing Gary did to Danny. That detail honestly doesn't bother because it actually makes sense. In Danny's twisted mind he wanted to do the exact same thing Gary had done to him, so I haven't any issue with that. Then Danny tapes Gary up in the backseat of Gary's car and takes him out into the middle of a desert-esque nowhere to make it appear like Gary relapsed into his alcoholism and drove himself off a cliff. It's an age-old soap opera tactic, but the irony arises when at the end that very same episode it's Danny that lies dead in a pool.

Before anyone starts reaching for their Kleenex, Gary's alive and well. Alright, maybe not well. It seems Danny wasn't necessarily all talk when it came to Gary because he actually ended up using the baseball bat he had brought as a weapon. He tore up Gary's shoulder, rendering him to stagger through the desert with a broken arm for close to six hours before reaching a hospital where he finally gets the chance to call Val and tell her where the heck he's been. Naturally, Val runs to his rescue and there story strolls along as they still intend on remarrying. While still recovering, Gary decides to go and visit Karen, who is having a rough telling dealing with Jeff almost killing her, and their conversation about the ever-changing social norms of America lead into Karen's famous "Pollyanna speech". I have seen clips of this moment so many times, and I was delighted to finally see it for real on my TV screen. The only thing is I was expecting the speech itself to be a little longer. Maybe my hopes were too high?

So apparently Paige thinks it's alright that Tom left her at the altar because she's now living with him at his apartment. She was a little miffed at him, however, but I guess seeing him sweaty and punching a weight bag was enough for her to realize she still loved him. She decided that Anne could stay in her apartment, where she's got to pay her own rent, after she had just kicked her mother out because she thought she had slept with Greg. The instance where Paige comes into Greg's house to find her mother putting on her pantyhose has to be one of my favorite moments in this show. Knots Landing routinely uses music montages to tie together different stories or bring together stories and characters in a realm that the show itself has not allowed them to do story-wise. While Anne is disappointed that Greg has not accompanied her to his bed, a clean, raspy-voiced rendition of "God Will" begins playing over the scene. It's then that Paige comes in to see her mother dressing, and naturally Anne doesn't correct her when she thinks Anne and Greg had slept together. After it all, however, Greg still doesn't seem to be showing the interest in Anne she's been aiming for. I have a hunch that's all going to change directly.

Let's rewind a little and bring Danny back to the center. Like I said earlier, he was found dead in the pool of an empty house on the cul-de-sac, and now the fueling story is how is the culprit responsible for his alleged murder. As with all cases in shows such as ours in discussion here, there are at least half-a-dozen suspects who, according to the investigators, "all wanted Danny dead". Sure, we can name off almost all the major (and semi-major) characters and easily give their reasoning for wanting Danny did, but only one of them is guilty. It seems like they're circling in on Frank being the one who did Danny in, but I'm not buying just yet. I understand that it was Danny's drunk driving that caused Pat her life, but I just don't see Frank has being a killer, regardless of the circumstances. In many ways, Frank is comparable to Mack; they're both occasionally hot-headed, but they always mean well and wouldn't harm a fly. Personally, I don't think anyone is going to be revealed as Danny's murderer. I think it's all going to be explained as something accidental. Who cares anyway though? Danny was a jerk, and he didn't to pay (at least in TV land) for what he did to our guys and gals we've been rooting for the past eleven seasons. Only time well tell, though.

Anne's still struggling to find an get-rich-quick way of maintaining her very comfortable lifestyle she's been accustomed to the majority of her life. Like I said, she's living in Paige's old apartment, but she can't really afford it. All the inheritance she got from when her father died back in season ten has been swindled on something, but precisely what has not be delivered yet. Now she's caught up in some scandal involving pictures of her and some millionaire embracing on a beach. The ransom is demanding one-million-dollars to keep the scandal hushed, and naturally Anne's panicking over what she's going to do. I'm sure there's more juice to come with this story.

Claudia's settling into town, apparently because she wants to stay close to her daughter Kate, whose playing tennis for a school in California. We all know that Claudia's got an ulterior motive she's gearing to. It's written all over her face. I'm almost certain (judging by her and Anne's first telepathic encounter) that she's deciding to stay in Knots Landing solely to see what she can get of Greg's because she thinks he's dying. On the surface, she doesn't want Kate being too close to her Uncle Greg, but subtly she seems intrigued by their growing bond. This viewer thinks that Claudia is going to try an edge Kate in as a stand-in for Mary Frances in Greg's life (both characters are played by Stacy Galina, as you all know), but I'm not exactly sure where all this is headed.

I'm going to get back to my watching. I'm finally getting to go back to work tomorrow, so my posts might be delayed a little because of my decreased time to binge the show.

Happy viewing. I'll be back.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
A few episodes stroll on by before we see Karen walking in the TV station alone late one night only to find Jeff in the production booth. She's startled that he's alive, but yet a little shook as well. It isn't long before Jeff's true colors come out and he attacks her. Diane pops up, however, and apparently tries to feed Jeff's desire to harm Karen before the police usher in the side door and take Jeff into custody. Diane tells the police she recorded the whole incident (after calling the police, of course) and says what she told Jeff was only a ploy to distract him before the authorities could arrive.
I liked how they staged this part of the story. Dianne never had any use for Karen--and made no bones about it. Dianne managed to pop up to save Karen not because she suddenly decided she liked the woman, but because Jeff had done her dirty and Dianne wanted revenge on him.
Jeff had drugged Dianne to make it look like she'd had some kind of psychotic episode and had her locked up--which made her look like a suspect in Karen's stalking and further deflected attention from him.

Note how Dianne didn't seem too keen on getting Karen away from Jeff, or encouraging him to end this whole "gotta kill Karen" single-mindedness of Jeff's. I don't think she did anything to put Karen at ease, to let her know that the cavalry was on the way. Her saving Karen was purely a by-product of the encounter, and you got a sense that she would not have cared one way or the other if he HAD killed Karen during the showdown scene. She wanted to get Jeff's confession of being the stalker on tape to clear her (Dianne) of the crime, but if she also got footage of him murdering Karen...well, she would not be too broken up about it. It was not the typical way these kinds of scenes play out on soaps, but perfectly in character for Dianne. Robin Strasser did a great job with this character and story.

But I agree that the wrap-up of this story was lackluster. It played a lot better when the viewer had to wait months for the new season to start. I recall when watching the episodes back-to-back in reruns that the Edit Monster had munched on one too many scenes and some key pieces of material had been lost. After all these years I would have no way of knowing what those lost scenes/lines were, since very few original CBS broadcasts exist out there.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I liked how they staged this part of the story. Dianne never had any use for Karen--and made no bones about it. Dianne managed to pop up to save Karen not because she suddenly decided she liked the woman, but because Jeff had done her dirty and Dianne wanted revenge on him.
Jeff had drugged Dianne to make it look like she'd had some kind of psychotic episode and had her locked up--which made her look like a suspect in Karen's stalking and further deflected attention from him.

Note how Dianne didn't seem too keen on getting Karen away from Jeff, or encouraging him to end this whole "gotta kill Karen" single-mindedness of Jeff's. I don't think she did anything to put Karen at ease, to let her know that the cavalry was on the way. Her saving Karen was purely a by-product of the encounter, and you got a sense that she would not have cared one way or the other if he HAD killed Karen during the showdown scene. She wanted to get Jeff's confession of being the stalker on tape to clear her (Dianne) of the crime, but if she also got footage of him murdering Karen...well, she would not be too broken up about it. It was not the typical way these kinds of scenes play out on soaps, but perfectly in character for Dianne. Robin Strasser did a great job with this character and story.

But I agree that the wrap-up of this story was lackluster. It played a lot better when the viewer had to wait months for the new season to start. I recall when watching the episodes back-to-back in reruns that the Edit Monster had munched on one too many scenes and some key pieces of material had been lost. After all these years I would have no way of knowing what those lost scenes/lines were, since very few original CBS broadcasts exist out there.
Yes, I can agree that I enjoyed how Diane popped up, seemingly out of nowhere, to save Karen. She couldn't have cared less, one would think, if Karen had of been seriously injured or, even worse, been killed in the process. Her main objective in saving Karen was thwarting the plans Jeff had outlined. She saw it as an opportunity to get the jerk back, and also as a way of clearing her name. All that's true.

The conclusion is where I have my issues as well. It was hopelessly disappointing. The scene where Karen finds Jeff at the TV station kind of seems random, and out of place. It doesn't feel like it really "fit" what had been going on for the best few episodes, but more of something that the writers were just tossing on us, even though it was an arc they were reaching back to from the end of the previous season. I can testify that some of the juice that fueled this particular story had been lost, and I'm pretty sure Jeff, or possibly even Karen, got some of the details wrong when recalculating the time between point A and point B.

It's all a part of TV land, though.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
I think that storyline was "much ado about nothing": too much buildup for such a lame conclusion. The only difference with the "other" psycho plots was the setting (TV studio) and the character´s resemblance to Jack Lemmon (no wonder the actor was his son!!). Also, the fact that he didn´t actually seem to be unbalanced as did others like Joshua or Danny when they appeared (or almost).

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The main reason the plot became so forgettable is because Karen was the only character really involved in it. Sure, Mack was there to provide a shoulder to cry on, but it wasn't a plot involving a bunch of established characters. Jeff, Dianne, Wayne, Sue the Stage Manager...all brought on just to service the plot, and all written out when the plot ended.

Imagine the difference if such a plotline had been introduced in the Pacific World Cable era. Abby owned the cable channel. Ben--and later Joshua and Cathy--also worked there. All four may have been a part of the plot. Abby could very easily have served in the Dianne role, while investigator Ben would be much more attuned to who might be the stalker (since he worked with/observed all these people every day) than Mack, since he had no insider view of the place. Even if the plotline ended in much the same way, it would have seemed more consequential since all these friends of hers had been 'along for the ride' and doing their part to help her.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think season 12 is pretty much the season when it just felt like it was going on fumes - there's not a massively rapid decline, but you can also tell that they were starting to recycle storylines but to less successful results. Karen-in-danger had been done before, but the fact that it seemed to have so little ties to the rest of the show it ended up feeling like filler. These weren't characters you ended up caring about. The dead body of one of Gary / Val's interlopers turning up under mysterious circumstances was basically a rehash of the Thrillin' Jill plot... except not as thrilling.

Knots might not get to the absolute pits like Dynasty, Falcon Crest or Dallas did but it also shows that prime time soaps don't tend to be designed to last forever.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Latham and Lechowick had mentally "checked out" by mid-season 12, since they were looking forward to leaving KL to begin a new series, Homefront. They'd been in charge of Knots for a long time, so I can understand their running out of ideas, or at least not being as enthusiastic about those ideas. You are totally right about the rehashing of ideas. When L&L left, and took a large number of behind-the-scenes staff with them, it set up the fiasco of John Romano and Company coming in ready to 'reinvent the wheel'. If more of the creative team had remained in place when he was hired, perhaps the transition would not have been so jarring.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yeah, even having Stacey Galina return as Mary Frances lookalike Kate was another plot that seemed pulled from the Ciji / Cathy mold (which was before L&L's time on the show, but still) - except again, with not as good results. While it's more likely that cousins would bear a strong resemblance to each other than a random stranger, Cathy looking like Ciji was an important plot point since it was necessary for *all* characters to see it. If anything, I feel like the Greg taking on/treating Kate as a surrogate daughter would've been more successful if they had two different actresses playing the characters as it would've underlined the more worrying and even disturbing aspects of the situation; you could have had either Greg or Claudia trying to get Kate to dress or act like Mary Frances and it would've come across as creepy. Hell if they wanted to throw the actress playing Mary Frances (if not Galina) a bone they could've even had Greg being potentially slightly delusional at points "seeing" Mary Frances only to do a double take and it's Kate.

Last edited:

Chris2

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I never understood the decision to kill off Mary Frances to begin with. A rebellious daughter for Greg could have been interesting.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Sorry guys and gals, my schedule has been a little pre-booked and I haven't a lot of time to watch.

I will say that I like how Anne's edging her way into the show, and I'm glad her friend is out of the picture. I didn't like him. He was a little too slimy for my tastes. When it looked like he and Anne were going to be a couple, I was like "No! Please don't do this!" When he finally left Knots Landing, it didn't bother me in the slightest.

I'm waiting for Claudia to kick in high gear. I know she's got to have a little more up her sleeve than what we're seeing right now. Kathleen Noone was brought in to be a villain, and I know she's got to be bringing more to the table than what she's doing right now.

Kate is basically a Mary Frances filler. Like why did they kill Stacy Galina off just to bring her back? Are they reincarnating Lisa Hartman? What's up?

The whole show is shifting into being the Sumner and Paige show, which we've being saying quite about these episodes. It's all edging towards the more corporate aspects of these lives. All business and intrigue, with the human aspects being back-burnered. I want to clarify that the show isn't really bad, it's just changing its focus. And yes I do understand shows most "evolve" to stay fresher for longer runs.

I still cannot get over how they're tossing Tom Ryan aside. I know the actor couldn't get stuff scheduled right with his aspiring singing career, but I hate he's being ousted.

Brian Kinney

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Sumner and Paige show is actually good I agree, the part where the writers obviously had creative fun (and extended it to Anne, Claudia, Tom and Nick, even Mort and Bob). Everything else seemed indeed recycled. Mary Frances² couldn't work because Kate was too much of what the Cul de Sac neighbors had become: boring and not a match to what rebellious daughter Mary Frances could have bring to Sumner's character.

Last edited:

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Sumner and Paige show is actually good I agree, the part where the writers obviously had creative fun (and extended it to Anne, Claudia, Tom and Nick, even Mort and Bob). Everything else seemed indeed recycled. Mary Frances² couldn't work because Kate was too much of what the Cul de Sac neighbors had become: boring and not a match to what rebellious daughter Mary Frances could have bring to Sumner's character.
It's nearly impossible for shows with long runs not to recycle their plots. It's still a good show, and it's certainly retained a quality base longer than the others, but it is getting a little long in the tooth. I still get addicted and keep binge watching the episodes when I have the time, but there's no argument in my corner that the show's glory days are long gone.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
One can blame much of the recycling of plots not on the longevity of the show, but on the longevity of Latham and Lechowick & Co. The recycling was not as pronounced once they had left the show.

It is a difficult balance to strike: keep the same producers and writers too long, and you get recycled plots, over-emphasis on certain, favored actors/characters, and a general feeling of being in a creative rut. Too much turnover and you get Falcon Crest's second half. If L&L had spent their final season or two working to groom a successor, the new showrunner(s) would have made enough changes (once fully in charge) to make things feel refreshed, but not a wholesale turning-over-of-the-apple-cart that we got when the all-new production team were hired in season 13.

TJames03

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The last five or so seasons were so unKL that I don’t even consider it canon. There was absolutely no “Community Spirit” during those years. None.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Well, I'm back to watching KNOTS after a long time away. I'm over halfway through Season 12, and I figured I'd revive this old thread and toss in some thoughts I've been having.

First things first: I'm not liking where they're taking Val and her going crazy. No wonder Joan Van Ark felt the writers were turning Val into the "village idiot" in these later seasons. Sure, the scene where she stir fries Bobby and Betsy's hermit crabs is interesting, but it was definitely camp at its finest. It almost seems as if the writers are wanting to rehash the "Val goes crazy" story that carried Season 6, but it's not nearly as well-done this time around.

While Claudia might seem a little forced into the show, I'm actually really enjoying Kathleen Noone's performance. I knew that Steve wasn't having genuine intentions with Kate, but I honestly didn't see the twist coming that he was Claudia's first-born child she gave up at birth. That brings a nice little side note to Claudia and Kate's story, and it just might give Kate something to do besides play tennis and give Greg flashbacks of Mary-Frances.

That brings us to Anne. I really liked Anne during her Season 8 stint, but she's very hit-or-miss for me now. Her whole storyline being tangled up with Dimitri/Nick, whatever his name is, has its ups and downs and can get a little "too much" and long-winded. I'm not sure where it's all headed, nor do a really care too much, but I'll say that I don't care if they decide to write Nick off at some point.

KNOTS has really shifted its focus. It's the Paige/Greg show now, and everything seems to circle around Paige somehow. I mean, heck, she even gets involved in Macks story with Jason and Gary's troubles with Val. They force her in there everywhere they can.

And then there's Linda, who is dragging poor Michael through the mud. I wish Michael would just wise up and let Linda go, but something tells that some major crisis will have to take place for that to happen. And besides his relationship with Linda, Michael (who is finally in the opening credits) doesn't have anything to do.

We'll move along to Karen and Mack. Isn't it just like Mack to get caught up in some good neighbor policy? His will to see Jason, a young man who is abused by his father, safe from harm is admiral, but I'm waiting for the episode where everything's going to be tied up in a nice little bow and Jason will be shipped out of town, never to be heard from again. And then Karen occupied the majority of her time trying to keep Mack afloat with his many endeavors and trying to do her best with helping Gary with Val.

I might be in the minority here, but I thought the angle of the writers edging Anne and Gary together was a good twist and something somewhat new. The way Gary was behaving, however, I knew it wasn't going to be something that would actually go through. There's too much going on with Gary and Val right now for Gary to be distracted with Anne.

Lastly, we've got Frank and Julie. I actually really like Frank and his developing relationship with Charlotte, Julie's teacher. I'm sure the potential their relationship has will have a quick, abrupt end coming around the corner.

I'm enjoying my dive back into KNOTS, but it's quite obvious that the show is running out of steam. Things are getting a little far-fetched, but it still hasn't hit to lows of DALLAS and DYNASTY.​

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've got a few more episodes in the can today.

Linda's fallen into an affair with Greg, and Michael has finally realized that Linda's no good for him. He's decided to hang up his job at the Sumner Group, and take some time off to get his head together. (Something tells me this is setting up Michael's exit.)

Linda's mother dropped by for a brief visit, and she was basically this verbally demeaning woman who, I guess, is supposed to make us feel sorry for Linda, or possibly give her an "out" for her bad behavior. Whatever the reason for her mother appearing was, I still don't like Linda.

As much as I know it's not going to last, I really wish Frank and Charlotte would get their acts together and be a full-fledged couple. But I know Charlotte's going to leave sooner or later. I can feel it in my bones.

Anne's still got herself wrapped up with Dimitri/Nick, but she's got another trick up her sleeve to get some cash in her pockets. Anne knows the identity of Steve's father and blackmails Claudia into putting her on the board of the foundation division of the Sumner Group. Greg had appointed Claudia over the division when she decided she was going to leave Knots Landing for Pittsburgh.

Val's sanity has been recaptured, and she and Gary are planning to remarry. I'm glad that they're happy with one another again, even if Val's antics with loosing her sanity does grow a little weary on a binge-watcher sometimes.

Apparently Paige and Steve are going to have a little side fling, but we know that won't last long, because I know Steve isn't going to be a long-running character. He's been brought in just to stir up some drama between Claudia and Kate, and Claudia hasn't even gotten any proof that Steve is her biological son. She just simply took his word the good, old-fashioned TV-kind-of-way.

I'm quickly approaching the conclusion of Season 12, and after that I've got just over 40 episodes plus the miniseries to get in the can. Won't be long now before I'm finally finished with my complete series watch of KNOTS.​