• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Netflix reboots Heartbreak High

Canon

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I listened to this being discussed on an Australian TV podcast recently, where one of the hosts had an almost violent reaction to this news. As in, he was basically shouting about it. He thinks it's poor reflection on the Australian TV industry's ability to create content for Netflix. When other countries are pumping out appointment TV like The Crown and Money Heist, Australia's big contribution is a rehash of a 90's teen drama. The other hosts were a bit more diplomatic in their assessment and saw it for what it was, a new teen drama using an established name to draw in older viewers as well as new. I was a fan of the original but that was at a very specific time in my life (I was a kid) so I can't see me sitting down to watch the new series although at some point, I'll probably watch a few episodes of the original for nostalgia sake.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Obviously, the original series must be doing well for them if they're rebooting it. A huge part of why these thing happens is because of the success of the original and since Netflix has the original on their service they must've taken notice how well it did.

Plus, they might also hope it'll have some cross-over appeal to other markets - personally, I've never heard of it, but I'm sure there's a lot of teens today that would be interested in a show about kids in high school.

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Obviously, the original series must be doing well for them if they're rebooting it. A huge part of why these thing happens is because of the success of the original and since Netflix has the original on their service they must've taken notice how well it did.
I think they added the original to the streaming service while plans for the reboot were already in motion because there was something like a week between the original arriving on Netflix and the reboot being announced.

Alison Carr

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
have just seen that Maggie Dence, now into her early 80s, will be appearing in this, great news! loved her back in the day as Bev The Beast Baker in Prisoner and as Dorothy Burke in Neighbours.