• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Nothing can capture a heart like... The ABBA Thread

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards

Payton Cross

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
My ABBA – Ring Ring album review
1598637838249.png
1598637857342.png

Ring Ring is the first album by the Swedish band ABBA. The album was only released in Scandinavia and a number of other countries including Australia, South Africa and Mexico. "ABBA" was not yet there. Then the band name was simply "Björn & Benny, Agnetha & Frieda". The lyrics and music on the album were written by Benny and Björn, with the help of manager Stig Anderson, Neil Sedaka and Phil Cody. In the Scandinavian countries Ring ring (bara du slog en signal) was put on the LP, unlike the other countries in which it appeared. She's my kind of girl was on the non-Scandinavian edition. Also nice to know that Benny and Bjorn asked Neil Sedaka to translate the song "Ring Ring" into English for their US single release. For the first time I heard the complete Ring Ring album from ABBA was not until 2008 when I bought the CD box set "The Albums." No fewer than six singles were released from the Ring Ring album, including a Swedish version of Ring Ring.

Album tracklist

A-side
1. Ring Ring (Andersson, Stig Anderson, Ulvaeus, Neil Sedaka, Phil Cody) – 3:06 *****
This is arguably the most popular song on the album, and certainly one of my favorites on the album. This is also the song with which ABBA would participate in the song contest in 1973 but was not chosen, luckily that success came a year later. I think it's a nice-sounding song, it actually already sounds like ABBA to me, nice and catchy with a nice upbeat sound that gets stuck in your head once you've heard it. - (10/10)

2. Another Town
, Another Train" (Andersson, Ulvaeus) – 3:13 ***/**
This song really grows on me more and more, i never liked it in the beginning but now i like it a lot, not one of my favorite but sure a nice song to listen on a lazy day hen you got noting to do. - (7/10)

3. Disillusion
" (Fältskog, Ulvaeus) – 3:07 ****/*
This was the only song that Agnetha Faltskog wrote for ABBA, she also released it in 1975 on her solo album "Elva kvinnor i ett hus", but to be honest i like this version much better, it's also the only really sad ballad on this album, and Agnetha's voice is really amazing on this song. - (8/10)

4. People Need Love" (Andersson, Ulvaeus) – 2:46 ****/*
This was ABBA first single that got released in 1972, it's a very happy song that's really put a smile on my face, and during this world wide epidemic virus Convid19, we all sure can use some love and carring, so this song is so relevant today so i can't say anyting more then just a great ABBA song. - (9/10)

5. I Saw It in the Mirror"
(Andersson, Ulvaeus) – 2:34 **/***
I try to listen a few time to this song, but it's not really my favorite song, i think it's even one of my least favorite on the album, Bjorn sings this song from the most part but i just can't get into it. - (4/10)

6. Nina, Pretty Ballerina" (Andersson, Ulvaeus) - 2:53 ****/*
This is again another great song that fits ABBA perfectly, the harmony between Agnetha and Frida are so good, I really love this song and it's very catchy and uplifting song. it believe this is also the finale single that got released from the Ring Ring album - (9/10)

B-side

1. Love Isn't Easy (But It Sure Is Hard Enough)" (Andersson, Ulvaeus) – 2:55 ***/**
I really start to like this song, it sounds very country/pop ish, not one of the most famous songs but i was susprised that ABBA released this as a single, but i really liked it it shows ABBA from a totally differend side. -
(6/10)

2. Me and Bobby and Bobby's Brother" (Andersson, Ulvaeus) – 2:52 ***/**
I dont know, but this song could have sang by Gary Ewing on DALLAS, (me a Gary)/ (Bobby as Bobby of cours)/(and his Brother must be J.R.) :) But is't sure a nice song very catchy too but i really like it. -
(7/10)

3. He Is Your Brother" (Andersson, Ulvaeus) – 3:19 *****
This song is one of my favorite songs on the album allong with Ring Ring and Nina Pretty Ballerina, it so catchy it almost sounds like a gospel/pop song, i just can;t get enough of this song, i remember when i hear it on a Dutch compilation album from ABBA thati bought in the 90's, but this song never left my mind and i hope it never will. - (10/10)

4. She's My Kind of Girl" (Andersson, Ulvaeus) – 2:45 **/***
This song is so far from the ABBA sound that we all know later, but this song sound like it could have sang by the Bee Gees, Hollies, or the Beach Boy, but it sounds okay but i'm glad this album got so much other great songs that i don't mind listen to this song. -
(5/10)

5. I Am Just a Girl" (Andersson, Anderson, Ulvaeus) – 3:03 ***/**
This is a nice song not one of their greatest on this album but still okay, it also reminds of another ABBA song but an;t think of the name of the other song. -
(6/10)

6. Rock'n Roll Band" (Andersson, Ulvaeus) – 3:11 ****/*
Lately I have been listening to this song a lot, and I must honestly say that it is growing more and more on me and I think it is quite a great song, this may well become one of my favorites from this album, it sounds very poppy with a great beat and sound, very catchy too. (9/10)

All in all I think Ring Ring is a great album that is still in the early days of the band that has yet to find their sound but will be found very quickly on their next two albums. This album may not be for every ABBA enthusiast or casual fans, I know people who consciously don't listen or buy this album because it doesn't have the hits and sound that most people know, but like any other artist you have to start somewhere, and history can unfortunately not rewrite again and I think that ABBA is certainly among the music history that we should not forget. So i will rate this album with 3'5 stars

Ring Ring
(***/*)

Let me know what you think of this album. :)

Last edited:

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
What a great and thorough review, @Payton Cross. I loved reading through it, and it's reminded me that I haven't listened to Ring Ring a great deal as a complete album.

3. Disillusion" (Fältskog, Ulvaeus) – 3:07 ****/*
This was the only song that Agnetha Faltskog wrote for ABBA

This is such a lovely song. It makes me wish Agnetha had written more tracks for the group.

K

Karin Schill

Great review of the "Ring, Ring" album. :)

I actually haven't listened to it in a while but my favorite songs are "Disillusion", "Nina, Pretty Ballerina" and "Me and Bobby and Bobby's brother" which does also make me think of Bobby and JR Ewing. ;)

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Also nice to know that Benny and Bjorn asked Neil Sedaka to translate the song "Ring Ring" into English for their US single release.
Oh Carols! This is new to me.
I Saw It in the Mirror - Bjorn sings this song from the most part but i just can't get into it.
I agree. The vocals are very stretched out and that itself is not so unusual but the rhythm section only emphasizes it, and it's created a very dragging sound.
Nina, Pretty Ballerina
This is a very good, well-produced song but I find the title (and therefore the chorus) too cutesy.
She's My Kind of Girl
I like this very much, I wish David Cassidy had covered it.
I Am Just a Girl" (Andersson, Anderson, Ulvaeus) – 3:03 ***/**
This is a nice song not one of their greatest on this album but still okay, it also reminds of another ABBA song but an;t think of the name of the other song
It reminds me of those sleazy-ethereal Emmanuelle soundtrack songs. Or even Baccara.
Rock'n Roll Band
This sounds like the draft version of Does Your Mother Know.

Payton Cross

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
What a great and thorough review, @Payton Cross. I loved reading through it, and it's reminded me that I haven't listened to Ring Ring a great deal as a complete album.

I also had to think carefully about whether I could find the right words for every opinion about a song, but I think it worked out pretty well. I hadn't listened to this album for a long time either, so I was quite surprised that two songs that I listened less often now suddenly liked very much.

is such a lovely song. It makes me wish Agnetha had written more tracks for the group.

I agree it's indeed a lovely song, i wish Agnetha also had written more songs for ABBA, not all ABBA songs where great maybe if they would Agnetha written some songs maybe the albums could have sound complete diverend, like her song "I'm Still Alive" on their live album "Live At Wembley".

Payton Cross

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Great review of the "Ring, Ring" album. :)

I actually haven't listened to it in a while but my favorite songs are "Disillusion", "Nina, Pretty Ballerina" and "Me and Bobby and Bobby's brother" which does also make me think of Bobby and JR Ewing. ;)

Thanks @Karin Schill, and some great songs that you liked from this album almost the same taste as me, and funny you think the same about the song "Me and Bobby and Bobby's brother. :)

Payton Cross

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Oh Carols! This is new to me.

I didn't know this too until i watch a ABBA documentary.

I agree. The vocals are very stretched out and that itself is not so unusual but the rhythm section only emphasizes it, and it's created a very dragging sound..

Yes i agree, it sound like the song wasn't really well written and complete done for the final recordings.

is a very good, well-produced song but I find the title (and therefore the chorus) too cutesy..

Yes the song was indeed well-produced and it sounded so great when i hear it for the first time, but it was indeed a little to cutesy but after all i like it.

I like this very much, I wish David Cassidy had covered it..

Okay, well maybe it would sound better if David Cassidy made this song his own. :)

reminds me of those sleazy-ethereal Emmanuelle soundtrack songs. Or even Baccara..

Haha lol, i never saw it that way but maybe you are right on this one, :p

sounds like the draft version of Does Your Mother Know..

Bjorn did sang a few songs, but I just don't know exactly what it is with this song, but it seems like it is a song that has been used as inspiration by many other artists that came later in the 80's and 90's, maybe this song was also a inspiration for "Does Your Mother Know".

Last edited:

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
It reminds me of those sleazy-ethereal Emmanuelle soundtrack songs. Or even Baccara.

Oh my. I've just listened to it with your comment in mind and I suddenly like it a lot more than I did.

her song "I'm Still Alive" on their live album "Live At Wembley".

I can't see the song title without thinking of Benny's introduction:
Björn's old friend, Agnetha. The little blonde girl, you know?

I try to listen a few time to this song, but it's not really my favorite song, i think it's even one of my least favorite on the album
I agree. The vocals are very stretched out and that itself is not so unusual but the rhythm section only emphasizes it, and it's created a very dragging sound.

I far prefer Billy G-Son's original. It's not very ABBA, but has a lot of soul.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
So good they filmed it twice:

It's strange, but even though they're almost shot-for-shot the same and were clearly filmed very close together (and I'm fairly sure there are a number of shots that appear in both versions) the energy and tone feels subtly different to me. Probably largely to do with them being lyrically different. Not to mention the language.

It would be interesting to see a side-by-side comparison of these two videos, but I suppose I'll have to make do with watching them back-to-back instead.​

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Seriously though, do we share the same YouTube account?

:D I think watching some of the same vids posted on here is contributing to this phenomena. There was one posted by Snarky by this lady about the fashion in Whatever Happened To Baby Jane that got me started on her. But I've watched loads of her videos now. I love her perspective and enthusiasm.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
:D I think watching some of the same vids posted on here is contributing to this phenomena. There was one posted by Snarky by this lady about the fashion in Whatever Happened To Baby Jane that got me started on her. But I've watched loads of her videos now. I love her perspective and enthusiasm.
I have watched so many of her videos. I love her perspective too, and her comparisons with things even like how historically accurate Disney princess outfits are.

K

Karin Schill

Oh wait...

Now they're both posted here on top of one another I can do the "watch both/mute one" thing in this very thread and watch both at the same time.
I did that and well as you already know, the videos are not identical. But there are plenty of similarities. :)
I'm not sure if you've thought of it but these videos were directed by Lasse Hallström before he became a famous director. :)