• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Wonder Woman Now the world is ready for... the Wonder Woman TV series thread

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
My WW soundtrack CD arrived yesterday - signed by both Charles Fox and Johnny Harris

Five years on and this soundtrack has proved worth far more than its weight in gold. I continue to enjoy it and have just hit one of those moments where I've become obsessed with it all over again. It's well-sequenced, well-mastered and truly captures the magic of the series.

The different versions of the theme song continue to fascinate me.

For no reason other than to satisfy my obsessive curiosity, I've been doing A/B comparisons between the two vocal versions of the opening theme and have decided both need to exist. The original version is punctuated by occasional low rasping horns which I absolutely love (they sound quite masculine, which adds a nice balance). The updated version sounds weightier and somehow a bit stronger and I like the updated lyrics, but I dislike the flute.

I've only just learnt that John Bähler - lead vocalist on the original theme and the first version of the Second Season theme - returned to sing the "Wonder Woman"s in the disco-era Third Season arrangement. My ears were so used to the female backing harmonies that I've always heard that in the Third Season, even though there are apparently no female harmonies in that final version.

Incidentally, I was rather surprised to discover that Bähler is white. I've long had a mental image of the singer as a tall, handsome black or mixed race guy with a winning smile and an afro.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I don't think I've ever heard of this show before but an email from VEI about it appeared in my inbox today.

I have dim memories of this one. I seem to remember it airing on Sky One in the mid-Nineties. Possibly in a Saturday teatime slot (but I might be misremembering this, considering my association of the WW series which used to air at 5:05pm on a Saturday).

It would have got my attention when it first aired on the basis of Lynda's presence. I dare say I watched an episode or two, but the period setting wasn't my cup of tea which was rather off-putting (Dr. Quinn never clicked with me either).

I may feel differently about it now, but probably not enough to break my long-standing VEI boycott. Great to know another Lynda series is getting an official release, though.

AndyB2008

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Titanic
Wonder Woman did rate decently for ABC, but the 1940's setting made it expensive to produce, which is why they were reluctant to renew it for a second season.

CBS only agreed to take the series from Warner Bros if it jumped into the 1970's to cut costs. Hence the time jump.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The first pilot film for WONDER WOMAN aired in 1974 and starred Cathy Lee Crosby in the title role. The ratings weren't what ABC wanted, so they passed on pushing the telefilm to series.

ABC didn't entirely give up on the idea, however, and aired another made-for-TV movie, THE NEW ORIGINAL WONDER WOMAN, in November 1985, starring Lynda Carter. This second attempt was more successful and ABC decided to go ahead with a series order, which debuted in April 1976. The network ordered an additional eleven episodes which aired through February 1977. The ratings weren't spectacular (finishing at #45 for the 1976-77 season) and ABC cancelled the show after thirteen episodes. Part of the reason for the cancellation was the fact that WONDER WOMAN, period piece set in the 1940s, was too expensive given its only moderate ratings.

WONDER WOMAN was picked up by CBS for the 1977-78 season. It was re-titled THE NEW ADVENTURES OF WONDER WOMAN and aired until September 1979. It enjoyed a solid fan base for its two seasons on CBS, but it was cancelled.

My grandfather was a big fan of Lynda Carter back in the 1970s. To him, she was better looking than Farrah Fawcett, Catherine Bach, Bo Derek, you name it.

Anyone out there a fan of this version of WONDER WOMAN?

1705976529033.png

Chris2

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Loved the first season set in the 40s. And I thought it was funny that they actually came up with an explanation for Wonder Woman’s 1940s boyfriend Steve Trevor being present in the 70s (it was his son). And appropriately, I don’t think Wonder Woman was attracted to Steve Jr - their relationship was platonic.

Crimson

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I have hugely mixed feelings about WONDER WOMAN (75-79). It was one of my favorite shows as a kid, watching it in reruns in the 80s

Yet I have never made much of an effort to re-watch the show as an adult, as doing so would take those nostalgic memories and flush them down the drain.

The plots seemed typical of the time, working around limited budgets and static writing.

Quoting myself here a bit, but with the addition that my earlier comments about WONDER WOMAN may have been a bit too harsh. I watched a Xmas themed episode before the holidays and it was ... not terrible. Mostly the show suffers from the limitations of the era: shabby production values, flat direction and hackneyed plots cobbled together from other hackneyed plots. Yet the end result was passably entertaining and, at worse, inoffensive. I doubt I could sit through more than two episodes in any kind of succession without the show's limitations grating on my nerves, but I could watch random episodes at intervals and probably be entertained.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I must confess that I don't believe I've ever seen a single episode of the '70s version of WONDER WOMAN. There may have been a time I caught a few minutes of an episode on one of those no-name TV channels, but I know I've never seen an entire episode. I've added the complete series to my Amazon wishlist, though -- 'cause why not?

1706017030935.png

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I watched a Xmas themed episode before the holidays and it was ... not terrible.

That would be the one with Frank Gorshin, I'm guessing (mainly because it's the only Christmas-themed episode I seem to remember the series doing).

Mostly the show suffers from the limitations of the era: shabby production values, flat direction and hackneyed plots cobbled together from other hackneyed plots. Yet the end result was passably entertaining and, at worse, inoffensive.

I know how you feel about the pacing of older series, so that's quite a compliment.

I doubt I could sit through more than two episodes in any kind of succession without the show's limitations grating on my nerves, but I could watch random episodes at intervals and probably be entertained.

Looking back over my comments near the start of this thread it seems I watched the entire series in around 5 weeks last time round. In the time since then, I've resolved that whenever I next watch the series I'd hope to do it at a much more leisurely pace, because at times it began to feel like work rather than pleasure.

You've hit the nail on the head for me with random episodes as well. I've watched all in order enough times to have the context, and I like the idea of mixing it up a bit. Perhaps I could even consider watching the episodes in alphabetical order, @James from London style.

I'm also giving serious thought to replacing my DVDs with the Blu-ray set. Reviews suggest it's not perfect (a bit oversaturated here, a bit soft-looking there) but overall an improvement and probably as good as the series is going to look.

Incidentally, after reading some comments in this thread today, I ended up playing the soundtrack in the car this afternoon. Every once in a while, it becomes my driving soundtrack for a little period of time, and it seems I'm there again.

Crimson

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
That would be the one with Frank Gorshin, I'm guessing (mainly because it's the only Christmas-themed episode I seem to remember the series doing).

I believe there's a S3 episode as well that at least has holiday elements, but I didn't watch it. After moderately enjoying one episode, I decided not to press my luck.

I know how you feel about the pacing of older series, so that's quite a compliment.

Heck, I even enjoyed a Xmas themed episode of THE DUKES OF HAZZARD. Maybe the older shows I tend to be so harsh towards just weren't meant for binging. Or perhaps I'm just a fool for Xmas themed episodes.

Incidentally, after reading some comments in this thread today, I ended up playing the soundtrack in the car this afternoon.

Unless it's the theme song on repetitive loop, I can't even imagine what the soundtrack consists of!

For years, I held onto a secret hope one day Lynda would play the role again. Back in the 80s, I used to daydream about a Christopher Reeve-Lynda Carter Superman/Wonder Woman team up movie. When the Arrowverse TV shows were planning their "Crisis" storyline, there has been an announcement about Lynda playing Wonder Woman again. I nearly plotzed. But, alas, it was just a rumor. Now in her 70s, I think it's safe to say it's never going to happen.

I'm surprised she's never been tempted -- or offered -- to at least voice the character again. When Adam West, Burt Young and Julie Newmar revived their characters in a couple animated movies, I thought a Wonder Woman '77 animation would be right behind. But, again, alas.

It seems all I'll get is her brief, awkward and unsatisfying cameo as Asteria in WONDER WOMAN 1984, and even that's a deadend since it's seems unlikely for there to be a third Wonder Woman movie starring Gal Gadot.

Last edited:

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I believe there's a S3 episode as well that at least has holiday elements, but I didn't watch it. After moderately enjoying one episode, I decided not to press my luck.

Looking back over my rewatch it seems it was Pot Of Gold (AKA The One Where Diana Goes To London). I'd completely forgotten that.

I even enjoyed a Xmas themed episode of THE DUKES OF HAZZARD. Maybe the older shows I tend to be so harsh towards just weren't meant for binging.

Good point. The way we watch series has changed in ways that couldn't have fully been anticipated back then, and these were designed to be watched once a week (or at a push, one episode per weekday for syndication). Less is more does seem to be a rule that can mitigate some of the fatigue (or boredom :D).

Or perhaps I'm just a fool for Xmas themed episodes.

Well, it is that time of year when it's almost obligatory to enjoy some gaudy, tacky nostalgia.

Unless it's the theme song on repetitive loop, I can't even imagine what the soundtrack consists of!

Now you mention it, it does feature every version of the Main and End Titles across all three seasons. But it's so much more.

Here's the album and its tracklist.

It's a 3-disc set featuring selected scores from the series, with the complete scores for some episodes (including The New, Original Wonder Woman and The Return Of Wonder Woman). How much you enjoy it will depend on whether or not you're a fan of film and TV scores in general and this series in particular. I like both, so this was a no-brainer for me. It has a nice variety of styles - from the military sound of early episodes to the disco of the later ones.

The mastering is great (this is a favourite film score label of mine) and it also has a decent booklet with information on each featured episode and its score.

This video gives an idea of the mastering quality (the remastered version kicks in at around 18 seconds).

If it is your thing, now would be a good time to invest. I recently had a notification to say they're down to the final batch and the price has been reduced. Once it's out of print, I suspect it'll be gone for good.

Back in the 80s, I used to daydream about a Christopher Reeve-Lynda Carter Superman/Wonder Woman team up movie.

They'd have been such a perfect match. Looking back at this era, there were so many missed opportunities. They couldn't even make Christopher Reeve's appearance in the Supergirl film happen and we had to make do with a poster on the wall.

Simpler times, I suppose.

When Adam West, Burt Young and Julie Newmar revived their characters in a couple animated movies, I thought a Wonder Woman '77 animation would be right behind. But, again, alas.

Oh yes. And WW's appearance in Batman: The Brave And The Bold gives an idea of how well WW77 would have worked in that medium:

It seems all I'll get is her brief, awkward and unsatisfying cameo as Asteria in WONDER WOMAN 1984, and even that's a deadend since it's seems unlikely for there to be a third Wonder Woman movie starring Gal Gadot.

At least she had the last word.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I'm also giving serious thought to replacing my DVDs with the Blu-ray set. Reviews suggest it's not perfect (a bit oversaturated here, a bit soft-looking there) but overall an improvement and probably as good as the series is going to look.

...And the darned thing made its way through Amazon checkout yesterday, so I can stop agonising over that one.

I'm curious how it will compare with the DVD to my eyes. I've been working my way through this in-depth thread on the release and almost talked myself out of it because the blue tinting and oversaturation was heavily criticised once screen caps started appearing. Overall though (and I'm only halfway through the 60 pages) it seems that the good outweighs the bad and the image quality is superior to any previous version available.

It appears that on the initial pressing of the BDs, Stella Stevens's credit was missing from The New, Original Wonder Woman. I would hope a few years down the line I'll receive an amended one, but it's the first thing I'll be checking.

Another thing of interest from that thread... the image quality was said to have been better on the earlier double-sided DVDs than the later single-sided ones. The single-sided jobs might have remedied the notoriously glitchy behaviour of the flip-discs, but because they kept the same number of discs it meant twice as many were compressed onto each single-sided disc.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I like the idea of mixing it up a bit. Perhaps I could even consider watching the episodes in alphabetical order, @James from London style.

Out of curiosity (and in case I end up doing this) I couldn't resist putting together an alphabetical list of episodes, and coding them by season.

Red = Season One
Amber = Season Two
Blue = Season Three

^ Apologies that colour coding isn't the most accessible way to do this.

Amazon Hot Wax

Anschluss ’77

Beauty On Parade

The Bermuda Triangle Crisis

The Boy Who Knew Her Secret (1&2)

The Bushwackers

A Date With Doomsday

The Deadly Dolphin

The Deadly Sting

The Deadly Toys

Death In Disguise

Diana’s Disappearing Act

Disco Devil

Fausta, The Nazi Wonder Woman

The Feminum Mystique (1&2)

The Fine Art Of Crime

Flight To Oblivion

Formicida

Formula 407

Gault’s Brain

The Girl From Ilandia

The Girl With The Gift For Disaster

Going, Going, Gone

Hot Wheels

I Do, I Do

IRAC Is Missing

Judgement From Outer Space (1&2)

Knockout

Last Of The $2 Bills

Light-Fingered Lady

The Man Who Could Move The World

The Man Who Could Not Die

The Man Who Made Volcanoes

The Man Who Wouldn’t Tell

Mind Stealers From Outer Space (1&2)

The Murderous Missile

My Teenage Idol Is Missing

The New, Original Wonder Woman

Phantom Of The Roller Coaster (1&2)

The Pied Piper

The Pluto File

Pot Of Gold

The Queen And The Thief

The Return Of Wonder Woman

The Richest Man In The World

Screaming Javelin

Seance Of Terror

Skateboard Wiz

Spaced Out

The Starships Are Coming

Stolen Faces

Time Bomb

Wonder Woman In Hollywood

Wonder Woman Meets Baroness Von Gunther

Wonder Woman vs. Gargantua

It's not too badly balanced between seasons, apart from blocks that appear around titles beginning with certain letters (mainly D, M, S and W), where one particular season features several alphabetically sequential titles. I'm glad that CBS dropped ABC's fondness for the "Wonder Woman Does X Activity" titles which would have made it entirely bottom-heavy.

On this subject, the season numbering of the Wonder Woman series is a little interesting:

• The New, Original Wonder Woman pilot and the two specials are generally grouped in with the eleven remaining "regular" episodes of Season One, even though the latter actually aired in a different television season (the Pilot and specials were part of the '75-'76 season with the rest airing in the '76-'77 season).

• Despite having a different onscreen title - The New Adventures Of Wonder Woman - the CBS seasons continue the ABC numbering (i.e., the first season of The New Adventures Of Wonder Woman is known as Season Two of Wonder Woman).

• Like the first season, The Third Season technically aired across two TV seasons, with the final few episodes airing after a gap of some three months.

Back in the day, of course, I had no idea about any of this. I believe episodes were shown in Britain many months after the States, probably without any information about seasons and out of sequence (based on my memory of certain episodes and the British airdates on IMDb, I'd say very young me discovered the series around February 1980 from when most Season Three episodes were first shown. It looks as though half a dozen S3 episodes had been shown here in spring 1979, right after most of S2)

It would be interesting to see old TV Guide listings to get an idea how the seasons and series titles were promoted back then. I wonder if it's a contentious issue among fans like the Dallas season numbering is here. There's also a difference between production order and transmission order, so perhaps this is reflected more accurately in the way the seasons are numbered.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I've stumbled upon this great paper written on the series which is worth a look.

A few choice quotes.

On the (d)evolution of Wonder Woman and Diana Prince in the series:
Anger is the easy, superhero status quo, and Wonder Woman has proven time and again that she can express her own philosophy just as strongly. Throughout the series, Wonder Woman approached adversity with unwavering strength. However, over time, her compassionate appeals, the trait for which she was created to elevate her from the majority of the superhero pantheon, decreased. Season 3 continued this trend. Diana Prince became more sardonic, not as concerned with healing the causes of criminals’ actions as with catching them... It could be argued that the character grew world-weary in her dealings with human society, but the point of the character is that she is already more advanced.

On criticism of the series:
Yet critics seemed to be as shocked by Wonder Woman as the crowd in the pilot which follows her as she first walks down an American city street in full costume. While Variety complimented Carter’s earnestness in the second season’s premiere and wrote that the show was likely to give CBS its best Friday lead-in of several seasons (“Wonder Woman”), Wonder Woman was considered worse than other superheroes. Numerous contemporary writers focused on Wonder Woman’s physical appearance and sexuality. Variety used “bovine” and “lumpen” to describe Carter in the show’s premiere, and described the premise of the character as “silly” without seeming to realize the comic book history or purpose, calling Batman “classic theatre by comparison,” and only complimenting Lyle Waggoner’s physical appearance as “a Saturday matinee serial star” (Bill 45). One writer called the show “sex-oriented” (Deeb “Sex on TV” 13A) and “pure cheesecake…exploiting sex” (Deeb “TV Makes Sex” 7B). Another writer, ignorant of Wonder Woman’s origins, fixated on it as “weekly titillation” (Nobile). Even a more neutral article chronicling comic book history mentioned that Carter’s depiction was “less modestly attired” than Wonder Woman’s original comic book debut, while praising Batman’s “remarkable television career” (“Comic-Book Heroes” B1). One critic for the New York Times, who was particularly against superheroes, routinely used sexist language to disparage Wonder Woman, with such statements as, “As an actress, Miss Carter creates the impression of a sweet litte girl disconcertingly trapped in the body of a potential Fellini sexuality symbol” (O’Connor 19 Sept. 1977). Numerous other writers focused on Carter’s physical appearance while being positive (Alridge; “Gangly Girl;” Kleiner; O’Connor 2 Oct. 1977; Scott “Ego”).

Criticisms about sexuality were despite the fact that Wonder Woman was rarely depicted in a romantic interaction on the show. There are occasional beats of a romantic tone, mainly involving Diana and the first Steve Trevor expressing hints of their feelings, but Diana never pursues a romantic interaction or relationship. Wonder Woman is focused on her work as a superhero. The most overt situation is in the second season when she resists the advances of an evil robot Steve Jr., with the implication being that the real Steve would never do that. Critics made the series sound like the famous beach-running sequences on Baywatch, but when the Amazons compete in the pilot, the frame focuses on their athletic feats. One writer interviewed in an article offered seemingly fair criticisms that the series had “no characterization” and “no personality” (Associated Press “Read It” A6), but for a series under so much cultural pressure, this could hardly be a surprise.

And a little bit that made me smile:
As for Superman, Lynda Carter, responding to the Wonder Woman United Nations backlash, pointed out, “Superman had a skintight outfit that showed every little ripple, didn’t he? Doesn’t he have a great big bulge in his crotch? Hello!”

Of particular interest to me was some information on how the series originally aired in the States, its surrounding shows and competition:
Wonder Woman began as a popular show. Its pilot premiered “well” (“Weekly Rating Scorecard” 38), on Friday at 8:00 pm Eastern Standard Time alongside the likes of Sanford and Son, The Rockford Files, and M*A*S*H, with some newspapers objectively listing its premise as “The heroine of the popular 1940’s comic books, saves the life of a U.S. Air Force officer,” and others including the language of “beautiful”.... Its first season did not have a set time, but at least one of its early episodes earned a positive Nielsen response (Sharbutt New York News; “Wonder Woman Kayos Bob Hope!”), and its first season was part of ABC’s “most successful calendar year” in the network’s history at that point (Kenion “ABC Adds” B9). Despite its moves across days, and eventually networks after being acquired by CBS for its second and third seasons, it consistently aired at 8:00 or 8:30 against the likes of Little House on the Prairie, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Rhoda, Good Times, and before Baretta, Starsky and Hutch, or Charlie’s Angels. During its final season, it settled into Fridays at 8:00, after The Muppet Show and before The Incredible Hulk or The Dukes of Hazzard, and against shows like Happy Days and Diff’rent Strokes.

I was surprised that it mentioned the second and third seasons having "very poor ratings" since I got the sense the series was pretty much a phenomenon all the way through. It was certainly very popular with me and among my contemporaries at primary school.

The 8 or 8:30pm time slot also surprised me. That seems very late considering the series was at times rather juvenile in tone. Here in the UK I remember the BBC aired on a Saturday teatime slot, around 5pm*: ostensibly aimed at younger children (as I was), but also at a time when older audiences who appreciated it for... different reasons would also be watching. Conveniently, it immediately followed sports/results scheduling that was then prevalent on a Saturday afternoon, and I remember my uncles were more than happy to stay on and watch Wonder Woman.

* Sky One aired the series in an almost identical slot during the Nineties, if I remember correctly. And in between the two, I remember repeats of early Season Two episodes on the Beeb airing on weekdays at 10 or 11am during school holidays.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I was surprised that it mentioned the second and third seasons having "very poor ratings" since I got the sense the series was pretty much a phenomenon all the way through. It was certainly very popular with me and among my contemporaries at primary school.
It actually came in 71st that second season and 60th for the third. This always surprised me as well because like you I found it highly popular amongst my peers. I thought everyone watched Wonder Woman but I guess we were wrong. From the looks of those time slots here in the states though, the show did face some stiff competition at the time.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
It actually came in 71st that second season and 60th for the third.

Interesting. Out of interest, where are you sourcing the figures? I love stuff like ratings, but find it difficult to find any for this series.

Wikipedia says that WW's ratings were:
  • Season One - #45
  • Season Two - #66
  • Season Three - #59
That's the only one I've been able to find, but I know it's not always reliable.

like you I found it highly popular amongst my peers. I thought everyone watched Wonder Woman but I guess we were wrong.

Yes, that's been a complete surprise to me.

Although they're different in tone, I find WW comparable in many ways to The Bionic Woman: both were solo female sci-fi/fantasy shows which ran about the same length of time and which ended up on different networks after ABC dropped them despite their popularity. Even though, objectively, I feel The Bionic Woman is generally a much better-written series which holds up much better all these years later- I always think of Wonder Woman as the more popular choice of the two. Looks like I was wrong about that, too.

BW apparently did really much better in viewing figures and finished #1 for the week at times in both the US and the UK. I wonder what slot BW had for its original American transmissions.

From the looks of those time slots here in the states though, the show did face some stiff competition at the time.

I still can't get over how late it was shown in its home country. If it ran until 9 or 9:30pm then I'd have thought it would miss out on a huge section of the younger demographic who would enjoy it.

Being shown in an early evening weekend slot here in the UK opened up the options a little, I'd have thought. Although not prime-time, it was at a time when the whole family can watch and enjoy. Out of interest, I just had a look at a site which shows all the BBC's listings from their official TV magazine of the era, the Radio Times. I'd been convinced WW was shown at around 5:05 or 5:15pm. In actual fact episodes I remember watching as a child (Season Three episodes which first aired here in 1980) were generally transmitted at 5:45 or 5:50pm on a Saturday evening.

Sadly, so far at least, I can find no information about the series' ratings in the UK. Along the way, though, I have confirmed that the first season wasn't shown here as part of the original transmission. Britain got its first look at Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman on Saturday 1st July at 6pm when the debut episodes was Season Two's The Man Who Could Move The World.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Interesting. Out of interest, where are you sourcing the figures? I love stuff like ratings, but find it difficult to find any for this series.
I actually took a look on Wikipedia one time. It was in the production notes but it was very late and I might’ve read it wrong lol. Perhaps the numbers you found are more accurate but either way I was very surprised at the results. As you say though I’m not sure how reliable any of these numbers truly are.

BW apparently did really much better in viewing figures and finished #1 for the week at times in both the US and the UK. I wonder what slot BW had for its original American transmissions.
BW was definitely the better show despite their similarities. I probably felt much differently about this at one time but looking back on it now it’s hard not to agree. As far as the original time slot for BW I’m going blank on that one.

I still can't get over how late it was shown in its home country. If it ran until 9 or 9:30pm then I'd have thought it would miss out on a huge section of the younger demographic who would enjoy it.
I remember this being a chief complaint with most of the younger audience.

I remember watching as a child (Season Three episodes which first aired here in 1980) were generally transmitted at 5:45 or 5:50pm on a Saturday evening
Wow, that is early! I didn’t realize how early it aired over there. That’s quite a difference. It would be interesting to see what the ratings were like in the UK compared to here. I wonder if the show did fair any better with that early of a slot.