• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Old Hollywood Teen Idols

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Here's any idea that's bopped around in my head for a little bit. I'm talking about those Old Hollywood young women and young men that were touted as heartthrobs and it girls that made the adolescence of yesteryear squeal with enthusiasm.

Of course, Elvis Presley is probably the prototype of the Old Hollywood teen idol. His rock-n-roll shakes and quakes ushered him into the hearts of millions of young girls. There were many other young men that followed suit, among them Fabian, Rick Nelson, Frankie Avalon, Tab Hunter, and Troy Donahue among others. There were young ladies as well that graced many a teenage boy's wall way back when. Some of them included Sandra Dee, Annette Funicello, Natalie Wood, Joi Lansing, and others.

Who are some of your favorites?

FROM LEFT TO RIGHT: Fabian Forte, Rick Nelson, Sandra Dee, and Annette Funicello.
1613671042805.png
1613671226370.png
1613671395908.png
1613671469793.png

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Really cool idea for a thread!!! Now are we talking any era or do you want to keep it to 50s and 60s idols?
Well, I'd like to keep it to the older ones, so let's say no newer than the Brat Pack kids in the 1980s.

And I know some fans might consider them too "new" for the discussion, but that's where I'm drawing the line.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Dorothy Dandridge, such a talented actress and singer. Stunningly beautiful too.

While she was beautiful and talented, I don't know if I'd classify her as a teen idol. I'm sure she appealed to the youth, sure, but I don't think that was her primary fan-base.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I’d have to say Marilyn Monroe. I wasn’t around yet but every man and woman I know that was a teenager back then simply idolized her.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Thinking more along the lines of stars that were at the peak (or at least a peak) of their fame during their youth was Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney. They were big MGM stars in the 1930s and 1940s, during which time they appeared in a number of films together, most notably the Andy Hardy films, BABES IN ARMS (1939), STRIKE UP THE BAND (1940), and GIRL CRAZY (1943).
1614026415526.png

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Sandra Dee was a popular actress in the 1960s. For a while she straddled the ranks of Doris Day, Elizabeth Taylor, Audrey Hepburn, and Debbie Reynolds in terms of box office popularity. Her status as a young ingenue outlasted her own relevance, and was the focus of the song "Look at Me, I'm Sandra Dee" for the musical GREASE in the 1970s and the 1978 film version.

When I think about Sandra Dee I think about IMITATION OF LIFE, the 1959 glossy melodramatic remake of the 1934 film of the same name. She plays Lana Turner's troubled daughter in that movie, and I always thought that Dee and Turner played well as a relatives. Visually, they looked similar, although Dee seemed more "innocent" than Turner ever was. IMITATION OF LIFE was a big success when it released and it just happens to be one of my favorite Old Hollywood melodramas.

Dee appeared in many other pictures. She premiered with supporting roles in such successes as THE RELUCTANT DEBUTANTE (1958) and A STRANGER IN MY ARMS (1959). Her success in these parts fueled her popularity with audiences, where she became a well-known personality among teenagers. Dee's first starring role was in GIDGET (1959), where she played the title character as cutesy surfer. It was also popular. A SUMMER PLACE (1959), which was a big-screen dramatization of the 1958 novel, was another mainstream hit. She and Troy Donahue were marquee bait to draw the younger viewers into theaters. She also appeared in PORTRAIT IN BLACK (1960), which again starred Lana Turner.

She married pop singer Bobby Darin in 1960. They became a popular celebrity couple. The following year, she starred in TAMMY TELL ME TRUE (1961), playing a role that had been originated by Debbie Reynolds in 1957. She played the role again in TAMMY AND THE DOCTOR (1963). Dee and husband Bobby Darin starred together in a few films, such as IF A MAN ANSWERS (1962) and THAT FUNNY FEELING (1965), both of which were quite popular with audiences. Dee's popularity with audiences tapered off in the mid-sixties. She started slipping in box office polls, and her films, like A MAN COULD GET KILLED (1966) and ROSIE (1967), were flops. She all but retired from acting in the early 1970s, although she would occasionally return before officially retiring in 1983.

Sandra Dee died of kidney disease in 2005 at age sixty-two.
1614913640250.png

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Sandra Dee is one of those stars I really didn’t know much about growing up. I would hear the name but admittedly she wasn’t one of those stars that really resonated with me. I guess the reason I got to know her was because of Imitation of Life. That movie was a huge deal in my house growing up. As a kid I used to think that she and Lana Turner could’ve really passed for mother and daughter. They seemed to have terrific chemistry together.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
@Caproni you mentioned Judy Garland earlier and I have to say I think that is a perfect example of what this thread is about. To me, one of the most iconic stars we’ve ever seen and so multi talented as well. There’s nothing she couldn’t do. Such a tragic life but she never failed to entertain.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
@Caproni you mentioned Judy Garland earlier and I have to say I think that is a perfect example of what this thread is about. To me, one of the most iconic stars we’ve ever seen and so multi talented as well. There’s nothing she couldn’t do. Such a tragic life but she never failed to entertain.
Judy Garland was the quintessential teen star of her day. She starred in so many big successes, although they've all been eclipsed by THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939) in the history books. She made a smooth transition to adult roles in the 1940s with staggering ease. ZIEGFELD GIRL (1941) and FOR ME AND MY GAL (1942) presented her in more mature roles, and proved popular. If anything, her popularity rose as she aged into a young woman. The audiences loved her and she was one of the few women to appear on the list of top ten movie stars at the box office throughout the 1940s. Garland was one of MGM's biggest stars and her movies were practically guaranteed hits. She was given the "glamour treatment" in PRESENTING LILY MARS (1943), but that picture was quickly overshadowed by MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS (1944), one of her biggest hits.

Her drug and alcohol dependency had a profoundly negative influence on her professional and personal lives. Garland earned a reputation for tardiness and causing expensive delays during the production of her films. THE CLOCK (1945) was one of her few straight dramas of the period, but it too was a big success. By the late 1940s, her films, such as THE PIRATE (1948), experienced such delays during filming that it ended up loosing money. On a more positive note, movies like EASTER PARADE (1948) and SUMMER STOCK (1950) were some of her biggest hits. She stayed away from the screen for a few years while she toured in concerts. Producers felt her declining box office power was not worth the headache of dealing with her behind-the-scenes antics that tested the limitations of those involved. Garland made a highly heralded comeback with a musical remake of A STAR IS BORN (1954), one of the most popular films of the 1950s. Her performance received an Oscar nod, although she controversially lost the award to newcomer Grace Kelly. Garland would only occasionally appear in films thereafter, although she would receive good notices for her work in JUDGMENT AT NUREMBURG (1961) and A CHILD IS WAITING (1963). Her last film was I COULD GO ON SINGING (1963), which remains one of her signature works. She later headlined a short-lived television series called THE JUDY GARLAND SHOW in the mid-sixties.

Her life went on a downward spiral until her untimely death in 1969.

Judy Garland is simply fascinating. Not only was she a great talent, she also led a colorful life that is sometimes more intriguing than the movies she made. It is baffling to me how brutal MGM was to her throughout her career. While they enjoyed the money she brought the studio because of the popularity of her films, they consistently criticized her looks. From the start of her career, when she was barely a teenager, Garland was pressured by MGM executives, especially studio head Louis B. Mayer, to fit a "type". They pretty much told her she was ugly and fat. She was put on a special diet, leading the studio commissary to only feed her a studio-assigned lunch, and given caps to straighten her teeth. Her contemporaries at the studio, such as Lana Turner, Hedy Lamarr, Elizabeth Taylor, and Ava Gardner, were considered "real beauties", while Judy was always forced to "glam it up" just to get by. They fueled her drug addiction and took absolutely no ownership for it.

She's one of Hollywood's tragedy talents, that's for sure.
1614970135448.png

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes. I've never understood why anyone would want to be famous. Rich? Sure, I'd take it. But fame seems like a curse.
I see ur point but I’d take the fame nonetheless. I think it comes down to knowing how to handle it really. Unfortunately, as we’ve seen, many can’t.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've been on an OZZIE & HARRIET kick here lately, and you can't talk about ma and pa without talking about their son Rick Nelson. He was sold as "Ricky" for a long time, a name he apparently detested. He hated being coupled with the likes of Fabian, and during the mid-to-late-'50s, Rick and Elvis were the only two Rock-N-Roll artists that performed solo in concert. For a while, Rick even had more Top 20 hits on the billboards than Elvis had (apparently during Elvis' army service).

Rick had a lot of popular songs during his heyday. Two of my favorites are "Travelin' Man" and "Sweeter Than You". Good, old-fashioned, teen idol-type of songs. He made a splash on the big screen in RIO BRAVO (1959), one of the most popular Westerns of the decade. It starred John Wayne and Dean Martin.

1624377224363.png