• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Original dallas was not destroyed by TNT

Elizabeth Ewins

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
I loved and hated TNT Dallas. I was missing JR,Sue Ellen and Bobby and John Ross so I wanted to own it. I checked Ebay and what comes up but the original Dallas! Lots of new original Dallas with climbing prices! I had trouble finding TNT dallas. I take this as proof that TNT did not destroy the original Dallas!
Eventually I did find TNT Dallas and it is very few on Ebay. The entire series does not command the price of the original.
I guess enough time has passed for us to regain our love for the original and for me to gain a grudging love for the TNT travesty.
Sure it was a travesty but it brought back beloved Dallas charactors for a final hurrah!

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I find it ridiculous for anyone to say TNT ruined original Dallas and it makes me think their hatred for the TNT show is stronger than their love for the original.

JR Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don't even remember. It's had to have been over a decade though.
TNT Dallas? Never heard of it. lol

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
I wanted to love the TNT continuation & I did in it's first two seasons.

I've never seen the third & final season largely down to the comments on here about the content of the season & Christopher's death in the season finale.

I didn't like the direction the show was taken in in it's third season so I never watched it.

I've only got the boxsets of the first two seasons. I won't buy the third season. No way.

For myself Dallas will always be the Lorimar produced original.

The TNT Cyntax version has been wiped from my mind by the Time Lords. ;) :)

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
If it was very good it wouldn't have been cancelled.

Last edited:

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Of course it was bitch, but it was too late and noone cared anymore. :D

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Oh come on now! The Dynasty audience had left a long time ago (and with good reason) and noone knew or cared that S9 was going to be good again.
But with TNT Dallas the audience left and left and left because it wasn't any good from the getgo. Noone wanted TNT Dallas and noone wanted it to continue.

Last edited:

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
You can do whatever you like. ;)

pete lashmar

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The question remains as to who TNT Dallas was aimed at - fans of the original, new viewers or both and because the producers didn't know they just about alienated everyone.

Original fans didn't like the retcon of storylines or characters they'd seen - the drilling on Southfork, the complete ignorance of ignoring Clayton ever existed (when he had more than 3 times the amount of screetime as Jock), Cliff's character being completely re-written to the point of being unrecognisable. Southfork interior looking totally different and characters like Ray & Lucy being sidelined as walk on bit parts that the characters didn't deserve.

New Fans - hard to see what the producers were trying to do to gain new viewers, the series was sold on the original trio and a "sexy" new cast - but it just didn't draw them in and ratings slumped after episode one as old and new fans turned off alike.

Both old & New Fans - see above, they alienated most of their episode one audience who had walked away before episode two aired.

It didn't destroy Dallas because we will always have that to watch and enjoy, but what it did do was make sure no one would want to try and make another continuation because every network it was offered to turned it down once TNT cancelled it - it didn't destroy Dallas as a TV series, it killed it stone dead.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
the drilling on Southfork
But the story acknowledged that it was "sacrilege", it was the dilemma, it was the feud, it was the drama.
the complete ignorance of ignoring Clayton ever existed
I understand that OldFans would like to be reunited with all their favourite characters (one way or another) but I also understand that a writer of NuSoap would like to be selective when it comes to OldStories and OldCharacters.
A lot of stuff happened on OldDallas, and it's very difficult (if not impossible) to neatly intertwine all that with a new story.
I guess they could have mentioned him (and Jack Ewing, and James Beaumont and all the others) just for the heck of it, just to please the OldFans.
And that's exactly what they did with Lucy and Ray and Afton - except that these characters actually showed up, and by doing so enhanced the look of the show.
But it was very clear from the start that this story focussed on the next generation, maybe it wasn't possible to include all The Old without creating a big mess.
These "enhancement" appearances got just enough screen time to remind me of OldDallas, but not enough to hinder or complicate 15 x 45 minutes of NuDallas.
New Fans - hard to see what the producers were trying to do to gain new viewers
Vomit sex, maybe they should have done that in episode 1.
Seriously, that's what the young'uns want to see these days. Game Of Thrones would be nothing without it. Nothing.
The lavish saga soap as we knew it is very old-fashioned, and I'm surprised (and grateful) that they even bothered to try.
but what it did do was make sure no one would want to try and make another continuation
You do remember how many years it took to not produce the Dallas movie?
Everything wanes, even the popularity of Dallas which, for a decade or so, used to be a TV phenomenon.
My niece, she's 14 years old now, she doesn't care, and she never will.
But lo and behold, Cyntax productions cared, and they brought Dallas back.

Last edited:

pete lashmar

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
But the story acknowledged that it was "sacrilege", it was the dilemma, it was the feud, it was the drama.

I understand that OldFans would like to be reunited with all their favourite characters (one way or another) but I also understand that a writer of NuSoap would like to be selective when it comes to OldStories and OldCharacters.
A lot of stuff happened on OldDallas, and it's very difficult (if not impossible) to neatly intertwine all that with a new story.
I guess they could have mentioned him (and Jack Ewing, and James Beaumont and all the others) just for the heck of it, just to please the OldFans.
And that's exactly what they did with Lucy and Ray and Afton - except that these characters actually showed up, and by doing so enhanced the look of the show.
But it was very clear from the start that this story focussed on the next generation, maybe it wasn't possible to include all The Old without creating a big mess.
These "enhancement" appearances got just enough screen time to remind me of OldDallas, but not enough to hinder or complicate 15 x 45 minutes of NuDallas.

Vomit sex, maybe they should have done that in episode 1.
Seriously, that's what the young'uns want to see these days. Game Of Thrones would be nothing without it. Nothing.
The lavish saga soap as we knew it is very old-fashioned, and I'm surprised (and grateful) that they even bothered to try.

You do remember how many years it took to not produce the Dallas movie?
Everything wanes, even the popularity of Dallas which, for a decade or so, used to be a TV phenomenon.
My niece, she's 14 years old now, she doesn't care, and she never will.
But lo and behold, Cyntax productions cared, and they brought Dallas back.

CC didn't care at all - she was offered a job and took it, did the absolute minimum of research and wasted the opportunity.

We obviously disagree on all the points we make, but that's life!

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
We obviously disagree on all the points we make, but that's life!
:hugs:
CC didn't care at all - she was offered a job and took it
To be honest I don't know much about her or what her perspective of Dallas is. I can only rate the show itself.
I also don't know if OldDynasty's first season was supposed to be so good, maybe it just turned out that way.

And I would never disagree with the fact that you don't like New Dallas, but the reasoning behind it warrants a discussion, at least.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I understand that OldFans would like to be reunited with all their favourite characters
Not all. I could easily have lived without Jenna or Charlie but Ray's appearance on TNT Dallas required at least a mention of those characters. A simple scene of the Ray and Bobby walking the grounds of Southfork or out riding after JR's Memorial could have solved this. It may also have shed some light on Lucas. Not all of TNT Dallas needed to be wham, bam, plot driven dribble. Some character building would have worked wonders.

The question remains as to who TNT Dallas was aimed at - fans of the original, new viewers or both and because the producers didn't know they just about alienated everyone.

Pete raises a valid point. But TNT Dallas didn't need to be aimed at any one particular viewer. Lorimar Dallas achieved this albeit a bit clumsy with Lucy. She went from Southfork whore to attending school in pigtails. Why couldn't TNT Dallas? Since most viewers didn't return for episode 2 THE question remains, Why?