People, Production, Writing That Took Away From "that Could Really Happen"

pete lashmar

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Just watching If at first you don't succeed and love how they announce on the radio that a woman has come forward to clear Cliff of shooting Bobby...just so we see a reaction from Katherine...gotta love Dallas radio for moving the plot forward.

pete lashmar

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Lucy getting a job in a diner under the name of Cooper so no one knows who she is....after being Miss Young Dallas for a year with photo spreads in papers/magazines all over Dallas...DOH!

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
Lucy getting a job in a diner under the name of Cooper so no one knows who she is....after being Miss Young Dallas for a year with photo spreads in papers/magazines all over Dallas...DOH!

But she didn´t pose for a Playboy cover (or for Valentine Lingerie...). Then those cowboys at the diner would really have remembered her (they are probably thinking about the Winger tramp...)!

upload_2019-7-8_15-31-41.jpeg

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
I thought Mickey checking out the silverware was a bit much. Also, JR not getting on Sly when she helped Cliff steal a couple of deals from JR. I understood the reason to keep the story lines moving, just didn't buy it happening so quickly.

Last edited:

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Sly becomes a spy storyline was one of the dumbest in Dallas´ history, but only because she was close friends with McSween, who had a lot of power and could do illegal things. But hey, Cliff uses his influences and voilà, here is the plot device to propel a whole storyline for the rest of the season...Back then, I just thought that Sly was the stupidest secretary JR ever had, even more than Louella!!

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
I understand the storyline and need of a cheesy finance guy, but there was no credibility to JR and Vaughn working together at a cub scout meeting let alone an oil deal let alone a mutli-million dollar setup.

Cliff JR Vaughn.png

Last edited:

southfork88

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Watching dvd s7e12. Katherine is with an investigator she hired to find out info on Jenna's history.
View attachment 17005

The worldly and snobbish Katherine asks about "Marchetta", pronouncing the soft CH as in "cheese". The worldly Katherine would certainly know the "CH" in Italian is spoken as the English language "K", as in "mar-KAY-ta". I'm just wondering if this was discussed to pander to the American audience's thinking this would be "CH" as in cheese, because that's the way it looks. Possibly, or it just got by everyone at the time.
View attachment 17006

Given that in Italian language Renaldo does not exist and "Marchetta" is a dirty word, in the Italian version of Dallas the name and surname have been changed to ... Rinaldo Marchetti.

southfork88

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Well, the Wes Parmalee storyline for a start. Although I enjoyed the drama of it all, expecting us to believe that, no matter how much plastic surgery they had had, that a family would not know, or be sure, if they were talking to their father/husband or not. You'd just know if it was them or not. And the voice and the personality would still be the same and would be impossible to mistake. So that one really pushed it beyond the bounds of plausibility for me.

We cannot forget that Wes's radiographs corresponded with Jock's. Furthermore, Jock had a heart bypass. Did Wes also have a bypass? No plausibility for me.

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Given that in Italian language Renaldo does not exist and "Marchetta" is a dirty word, in the Italian version of Dallas the name and surname have been changed to ... Rinaldo Marchetti.

Now that's interesting...great info!

Last edited:

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards

That´s so fun, @southfork88! By the way, did you know that Jenna Wade became, thanks to the brilliant minds of the Spanish translators, "Gina" (as in "Lollo") Wade? My ears cringed every time I heard it...I guess it was one of those dumb assumptions that, since she married an Italian, she had to be Italian too...:re:

southfork88

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
That´s so fun, @southfork88! By the way, did you know that Jenna Wade became, thanks to the brilliant minds of the Spanish translators, "Gina" (as in "Lollo") Wade? My ears cringed every time I heard it...I guess it was one of those dumb assumptions that, since she married an Italian, she had to be Italian too...:re:

Nooooooooo :censer:

Taylor Bennett Jr.

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards

it's interesting, though - I think the inspiration for the name was early-seasons writer and story editor Camille Marchetta. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camille_Marchetta Maybe her family name got slightly 'Americanized' at some point, or it's a 'screen name' or 'nom de plume' that she chose?

and as for the pronunciation thing - these guys got a very similar Italian word wrong right around the Who Shot JR period:

(they're Canadian, like the actor who player 'Renaldo' - rumor has it that Lucy's favorite band, the Coffins, would play an ironic punk version of this tune at some of their Austin gigs)

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
it's interesting, though - I think the inspiration for the name was early-seasons writer and story editor Camille Marchetta. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camille_Marchetta Maybe her family name got slightly 'Americanized' at some point, or it's a 'screen name' or 'nom de plume' that she chose?

and as for the pronunciation thing - these guys got a very similar Italian word wrong right around the Who Shot JR period:

(they're Canadian, like the actor who player 'Renaldo' - rumor has it that Lucy's favorite band, the Coffins, would play an ironic punk version of this tune at some of their Austin gigs)

What's interesting is...seems like foods keep their pronunciation, especially French, regardless of the spelling. But people names? Ehh...who cares...

"Hey Mr. Garson, I'll have some ES-KAR-GETZ and the PAIT with FOOEY GRASS and a bottle of your finest BORDEYUCKS" :laugh1:

Last edited:

Taylor Bennett Jr.

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
What's interesting is...seems like foods keep their pronunciation, especially French, regardless of the spelling. But people names? Ehh...who cares...

"I'll have some ES-KAR-GETZ and the PAIT with FOOEY GRASS and a bottle of your finest BORDUCKS" :laugh1:

though he was a French snail, Stan Es-Car-Getz really expressed the feeling of Brazilian music beautifully (maybe it was all that fooey-grass he smoked)

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
it's interesting that a prolific, sensitive composer like Joe could have such a weasely, conniving American nephew like Alan

(we've gone pretty far afield at this point!)

Sorry Guzz...that's a DOUBLE ouch! :brick:

southfork88

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Yes, the surname Marchetta was chosen in honor of Camille Marchetta, but it does not exist in Italy because this word is very offensive, unlike Marchetti or Barchetta (a small boat).

Bill Dilks

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
One of the issues I had when it first aired was about the Ewings having assets near the billion dollar mark , yet Jock's pulling $10mil caused so much trouble. No sale.

Jock & Bobby.png

Same thing I think happened to Cliff some time after Gold Canyon 340 came in. I think some one in production or writing fell asleep on the wheel.

Taylor Bennett Jr.

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
One of the issues I had when it first aired was about the Ewings having assets near the billion dollar mark , yet Jock's pulling $10mil caused so much trouble. No sale.

View attachment 17123

Same thing I think happened to Cliff some time after Gold Canyon 340 came in. I think some one in production or writing fell asleep on the wheel.

yeah, I haven't been involved in anywhere near that kind of business, but I don't see how a powerhouse company like Ewing Oil wouldn't be able work out some kind of loan to cover that kind of cash need. I mean, if it came down to it and they really had trouble making payments, they could sell part of the Asian leases (or other ones) like JR did shortly before getting shot, right?

For that matter, did JR actually buy into those 'East Coast gas fields' he used as his alibi for dumping the Asian leases on the cartel boys? He must have, or else they'd have a ton of cash lying around, right, even after Bobby bought the refinery?

It's silly at best to try to get things to make sense with some of the 'business deal' writing!

Last edited: