Peyton Place Peyton Place - some sort of general thoughts thread

tommie

Telly Talk Mega Star
Reaction score
Medals
Yeah, it's like amnesiac Fallon with a different face.

Peyton Place and The Colbys = almost the same soap.
I mean, so far they've noticably cut down on scenes with Constance and is using Lola sparingly. I'm assuming Dorothy returns soon?

tommie

Telly Talk Mega Star
Reaction score
Medals
Ok, I constantly feel like pausing the episode just to give my opinion, but Lola and Dorothy are very different actresses aren't they?

Dorothy Malone sort of does the whole melodrama thing perfectly and Lola is sort of a more serious type of actress. I wonder what made them go with Lola because it doesn't really "fit" with Dorothy's acting style at all.

Willie Oleson

SoapLand Battles Moderator
Reaction score
Medals
Lola did the loveliest introduction ever, it almost sounds like an apology.
Since she only had to be there for the sake of continuity (SPOILER YES DOROTHY RETURNS!) I guess she played Constance as neutral as possible.

tommie

Telly Talk Mega Star
Reaction score
Medals
Lola did the loveliest introduction ever, it almost sounds like an apology.
Since she only had to be there for the sake of continuity (SPOILER YES DOROTHY RETURNS!) I guess she played Constance as neutral as possible.
I don't think it's a spoiler since Lola says in her intro that she's there "until Dorothy Malone returns" - it's fairly obvious she's a temporary recast. I have no idea what happened to poor Dorothy - maybe Mia really did attack her.

Alexis

Telly Talk Hero
Reaction score
Medals
Allison had to be in a coma to stop everyone else from being put in a coma by her dullness.

Willie Oleson

SoapLand Battles Moderator
Reaction score
Medals
I honestly never found her dull, and her scenes with Rodney is what gave Peyton Place a touch of poetry (imho).
Their dreams and angsts seemed genuine despite being acted in a very soapy fashion. It's a lush narrative that they sometimes try to recapture in modern tv shows, but it never works so well as it did in the 1960s.

Her scenes with Betty felt unusual but for all the good reasons.

Canon

Telly Talk Fan
Reaction score
Medals
I have no idea what happened to poor Dorothy
https://cdnc.ucr.edu/?a=d&d=DS19650924.2.30&e=-------en--20--1--txt-txIN--------1

I honestly never found her dull, and her scenes with Rodney is what gave Peyton Place a touch of poetry (imho).
Their dreams and angsts seemed genuine despite being acted in a very soapy fashion. It's a lush narrative that they sometimes try to recapture in modern tv shows, but it never works so well as it did in the 1960s.

Absolutely. She is Peyton Place I think, much like Pam in Dallas, it's never quite the same without her. Though Allison has a great, great exit.

Last edited:

Alexis

Telly Talk Hero
Reaction score
Medals

Much like Frankie, I just hated her. Only in Allison's case it's more to do with the actual actress, and not the characters actions. I dislike Mia Farrow except when she's being tormented by conceiving and birthing Satan's child.

tommie

Telly Talk Mega Star
Reaction score
Medals
Well, I've finally entered 1966 and it's time for Rodney's trial! It was interesting watching the jury hearings as it sort of pointed out a flaw in the justice system when it comes to small towns where everybody knows everybody. Of course hearing mr Fowler going over his case against Rodney just makes me 100% believe he's guilty of the murder of Joe Chernak and I won't hear otherwise! Also, I kind of want an execution to take place in Peyton Place - do we think they'd go with the electric chair or the gas chamber?

tommie

Telly Talk Mega Star
Reaction score
Medals
I did like how Dorothy Malone returns (in episode 167) by Julie entering the bookshop and Connie coming down the stairs announcing that she's "just been in the storage room" :lol:

Last edited:

tommie

Telly Talk Mega Star
Reaction score
Medals
Poor Rita :( Cord really did a number on her and now I absolutely hope that Rodney gets sentenced to hang in the public square (though I'm sure spoil-sport Allison MacKenzie would somehow stop that)!

However, she and Norman decided to run away to get married - because marriage has worked out for the Harringtons so far...

tommie

Telly Talk Mega Star
Reaction score
Medals
I like how Norman and Rita are now the new star-crossed lovers in Peyton Place and Allison and Rodney can go and die in a ditch!