• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Peyton Place Peyton Place - some sort of general thoughts thread

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Oh, Rachel has that wounded bird thing going on.

Also, did they write her completely and batshit violent as a tribute to the departed Mia Farrow?

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Nice detail in episode 288 of Martin Peyton arriving at court and smashing a reporters camera.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm a bit scared to enter it in technicolour though
I remember thinking the same, maybe I thought it would take the mystique out of it.
the Peyton mansion living room also surprised me a bit - it's much more vibrant in colors than I expected it to be.
Move over, Ryan Murphy.
But yeah, it was surprising to learn that - unbeknownst to me - these former B&W characters in their former B&W world had bothered to choose this-or-that particular colour for this or that outfit or piece of furniture.
Even in YouTube quality it looks absolutely gorgeous. Too bad we'll never see it on DVD.
Peyton Place writers sure loves their hysterical women, don't they?
Rachel can be a bit much sometimes ("stop asking me all these questionnnns!"). She gets better towards the end of her story arc, and I totally loved her final scene (ironically, I felt the same about the Rachel replacement).
I don't think I ever really warmed up to Ann, but everything that's happening because of her is EPIC.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Move over, Ryan Murphy.
But yeah, it was surprising to learn that - unbeknownst to me - these former B&W characters in their former B&W world had bothered to choose this-or-that particular colour for this or that outfit or piece of furniture.
Even in YouTube quality it looks absolutely gorgeous. Too bad we'll never see it on DVD.

It's interesting for sure, especially when you realise this is all very experimental days still - in episode 290 in the Peyton mansion, the camera seems to pick up some colours, but not all, which creates an unintentional eerie effect. Take that Ryan Murphy!

peytonplace.png

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Wow, I didn't notice this at all!

It becomes obvious sometimes when Catherine's portrait (it's always HER, isn't it?) is in the background - when they show it in close up it's an explosion of colours.... yet sometimes when it appears in the background it's grey. It's not intentional but it sort of creates that effect.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Again, it happens - in episode 292 (part 2) Hannah is standing in front of Catherine's picture and as the camera focuses more on Catherine, Hannah sort of fades into grey. It's hard to capture properly on a single picture, but it's funny to see. I don't think it's intentional, I think it has to do with where the camera focuses, still; get it Catherine! Avenge from the grave via technicolor!

peytonplace2.png

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Ok, I'm pretty convinced that Ann and Steven are the illegitimate children of Catherine (it always comes back to her, doesn't it? She's really that bitch, isn't she?) and Hannah was just forced to take care of Steven as her own child to spare Catherine the embarrassment of being a teen mother.

I FUCKING KNEW IT.

Also, episode 294 - what a power house episode it is. I just want to put it here for me to remember.

Last edited:

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The thing that strikes me is how many people get unhappy endings in Peyton Place - Stella Chernak leaves town, supposedly guilty of perjury, Ann Howard, well... Allison just wanders off into the night and at episode 313 we still don't know what's happened, Hannah Cord is found out as Steven's fraud-mom, tries to burn up the Peyton Mansion and leaves and Chris Webber takes the bus out of Peyton Place after trying to kill his brother. Sheez. Give me at least a little schmaltz with the exits show!

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Living for Sandy moving in with my fav character Ada.

Also, did they burn up the Peyton Mansion living room due to the colouring issues that I've mentioned before?

Last edited:

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
You can see them experimenting with the camera around episode 317, which is interesting. The Peyton living room seems to have expanded too.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
You homesick honey?

It all is coming back to me now. Rachel's uncle is looking like Alison's rapist pedophile father on Melrose Place - it's all melting together in a very unhealthy soapy way and I'm loving it.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Just an observation - but Sandy's boss is a total and complete Queen in the flaming variety, episode 336 reveals this.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Also, around these episodes (330-ish) I notice that in outside shoots they seem to be using more mobile cameras which leads to more upclose shots. It's not handheld, but you can tell that they can move it around better and they're just experimenting.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Episode 342 (part 1) - the filming between Rodney/Betty's talk is sort of amazing and artistic.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I LOVE ADRIENNE! She's one of my new favourite characters.

Also, poor Ada for her husband returning from being away. Or poor Rita - she might have a heart attack!

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
RANDOM MARTIN PEYTON RECAST OMG!!!

Is this permanent? Because I'm not sure I like this dude.