Prisoner CBH Prisoner Cell Block H

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Episode 23

This episode plods along nicely, I reached 20 minutes before I realised, I hadn’t jotted anything down.

I do not like Barbara, and I do like Doreen, but when they were fighting, I wanted Barbara to win. I just do not like this story with Doreen.

There is a theme in this episodes, mothers, and daughters with Bea and Catherine the mothers and Karen the daughter, however there’s a slight hic with Lyne as it’s her father and not mother, so I’m just rambling away.

The tension between Bea & Vera and how Bea holds her fully responsible for not allowing her at Debbie’s funeral is wonderful to watch, I feel like its building up to something. Watching Catherine and Bea bond as mothers and I keep meaning to type out how much Catherine reminds me of Annabelle Collins in Brookside.

Barbara is finally winning me over; I’m actually starting to care for her.

Then we get another parent, Sarah’s father who can’t cope with looking after his daughter, seriously, what’s wrong with him, it’s not like he actually needs to do anything, she’s old enough and capable of looking after herself.

Now Barbara is fighting back, threatening to burn down her cell, well her bed and bedding, everything else looks like it’s brick.

Erica instructing Vera to ignore Barbara’s threats was a surprise. Will it come back to haunt her?

Episode 24

Catherine remains unchanged in her views on prison life which is a real shame considering what happens later in this episode. She sees that Vera is part of the reason Barbara has locked herself in her cell, while Bea mentions she’s looking forward to watching it develop, again to the shock of Catherine.

Jean comes in handy by filling Erica in on some home truths and how Vera is partly terrorising Barbara.

The scene with Erica and Barbara was wonderful, I love how I didn’t like the character to being with and now I find myself rooting for her. As much as I love all the fighting and chaos this show brings, it was great to see the story with Barbara reach a great conclusion.

Interesting that Erica allowed Vera to transfer Barbara when Erica was in the knowledge that Vera had been victimizing her niece.

One good thing came about Barbara’s transfer and that was Doreen realising that no matter how much she tries, she will never be Franky.

It was interesting to follow Karen’s trial and it’s up in the air what the verdict might be.

We also say goodbye to two inmates, Barbara Davidson transferred to another prison and Catherine Roberts, never to be seen again. It’s kind of sad that they would invest in four characters, give us the full story behind Catherine’s prison sentence and then do nothing, nothing at all….

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Episode 25

The prosecution in Karen’s case is holding nothing back, just a few short words and it feels like she’s going to lose the case.

I’ve looked a few times on the end credits, but it never comes up, but I’m 100% sure that the newsreader on the radio is actually the lawyer, Steve Wilson.

Things are looking up for Lyne with her work release, the biggest clue is that she’s no longer moaning and crying, she looks very happy and yet she still manages to bore me.

A new prisoner, Susan Rice in for shoplifting. The question on everyone’s lips is simple, what can she bring to Wentworth?

Karen’s mum turning up at her trial was a surprise and going by how its developing, it could go in Karen’s favour.

I spoke too soon. Lyne managed to find something to moan at and even managed to run off. All over a mild joke about her keeping the money. This also gives Vera the opportunity to have a go at Erica for allowing the project to happen.

Karen’s sentence is reduced to 2 years, Greg wants to celebrate, Meg invites him and suggests they invite Steve too, all while Vera stands there listening and no invite for her…

Lyne managed to find her way back

God save the queen.

Episode 26

Erica continues to prove that she cares for the inmates, even if it means risking the everything and everyone because they don’t get searched on their entry back into the prison. I better be careful; I’m starting to think like Vera.

Erica gives us more info on the new prisoner seeing that she isn’t willing to say anything.

We are back in Vera’s dismal world as she pops into her local bar for a drink all on her own. All is not lost as she recognises Anne Yates from the prison. Anne is the officer who was suspended for bringing in contraceptive drugs for Marylin. Vera wants to know Anne’s secret of a luxurious life, if only she could remember why Anne left the prison.

Lots of mystery surrounds new inmate Susan and her husband Freddie, Jean is as confused as the rest of us. Now she is back inside again with Meg asking why she’s intent on giving up her freedom.

Exciting times could be on the way for Vera as Anne plays the matching game with one of her friends, George, but just want will he do with Vera?

I wonder what Monica is up to these days.

For someone who believe in security and a strict regime at the prison, Vera finds it very easy to talk about the goings on with a stranger.

Susan showed a psychotic side when she went for Doreen after Doreen was spouting off about a singer staring in his own series.

Doreen was getting excited with the when it was announced that Jason Richards was going to appear, I was side-tracked because the voice over is the same as the radio newsreader and I’m sure it’s Steve Wilson.

Brilliant ending where Anne tells Vera that she works for George now and when she was working in the prison.

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
While the officers work around the clock to save Lyne from her attempted suicide, (they really shouldn't bother)

My sentiments exactly! I had hoped at the start of the episode that Barbara Davidson was going to be Lyne's replacement as the not very bright young blonde, but in the end it looks like the misery will continue as it seems like she'll make a full recovery.

It’s another actress that will appear later in the show as Myra Desmond.

Well spotted! She looks completely different! I never would have recognized her.

We are introduced to a very annoying inmate in Erica’s niece. That said, she’s going to be very frustrating for Erica. It was a great scene where Bea and Monica found out who she was

She's a pain in the ass alright but it's an interesting story line to have Erica's niece in there and I'm looking forward to seeing where that goes. I could be wrong but from the get go I get the sense that Barbara is a character that's going to end up dead. Let's see...

I felt for Mrs McBride when she waved them off at the end.

That was actually an incredibly touching scene when she said goodbye crying on the terrace. It's little touches like that that the show does really well. She's a secondary character that we probably won't see again but I like how they gave her that little moment.

It was great to see Vera back in all her hard faced glory this episode and now with some scores to settle. :popcorn:

Last edited:

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Episode 18

Back when I watched this for the first time, I was intrigued with the start when it showed a schoolgirl picked up and raped. I wondered where it was going, surely the schoolgirl wouldn’t end up inside and it’s a female prison, so the rapist was never going to become a future inmate. Obviously, once the story continued it started to make sense. Thinking about it now, I love the mystery and intrigue that firs 5 mins created.

Vera’s new interest in Barbara is a great story, having her lag on the other inmates is right up Vera’s street.

I don’t know if it was particularly written this way but the scene with Sarah’s mum and dad came across like they were truly clueless to what their daughter had gone through. I don’t mean they should know what happened to her, but from what we’ve seen how they have a routine in life, they showed no concern when Sarah said she fell over. Thankfully, the story moved on quickly when Sarah finally told her mum about the rape. “Why the hell didn’t she tell us last night?”

And, there is it, Barbara Davidson shows her true colours by blackmailing Vera after using her to bring in more drugs.

Finishing the episode is Sarah’s mum, Catherine as she vows to get revenge on the man who raped her daughter, meaning we have our next new inmate just waiting in the wings.

I am missing episode 18 so thankfully I have your synopsis to know what happens. But it's a shame because it sounds like it's introducing an interesting new character and story line. Anyway it sounds promising, and also I like the sound of Barbara blackmailing Vera!

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I love that having watched this twice I still find so many scenes as if I’m watching them for the first time.

I guess that's understandable considering there are almost 700 episodes.

Catherine did say she was going to get revenge on her daughter’s rapist, I would call those closing scenes very revengeful.

That was actually a great scene. They way she drove over him 4 or 5 times! Brutal.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Episode 27

Susan is clearly unwell, but there is something a little scary about how is behaving, especially locked up in a prison.

I love Vera, when she’s vulnerable, usually at home, she talks very softly and then when she’s back at work, she’s sharp and dismissive.

Vera is having a wonderful time, George has won her heart and she no longer cares what he does. Too late, there it is, Vera finds out that George is a drug dealer. Lord help those prisoners the morning after.

George kisses Vera while Doreen and Lyne watch on., could this be it, could George really get Vera to push drugs in the prison?

Loved the ending where George informs Vera about Anne’s arrest and that he needs her to look out for Anne when she is inside.

Episode 28

Great scene with Doreen and Lizzie discussing Doreen’s future after the breakout and even better scene where Anne is brought into the prison. If anything, Anne knows Vera too well and it will only hurt Vera who is in a tough place with it all.

How far off the floor is Anne’s bed?

Anne.jpg

Lyne’s day release proves to provide some complexities when she’s asked about her life and where she lives, so begins living another lie in case the truth cause more issues for her and the job she is in.

The tension building up between Anne & Bea is exciting.

I thought Lizzie was going to get away with fooling Jean over getting a job on the release project and I laughed when Lizzie smacked Doreen and shouted at her for not being able to spell.

Oh, FFS! The woman working with Lynn is turning out to be a real nasty character and it was friggin’ awesome to see the boss take Lynn’s side and kick her off the premises.

Fan-bloody-tastic what Bea did give Anne the newspaper and what was hidden inside.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I am missing episode 18 so thankfully I have your synopsis to know what happens
Drat and double drat, I was curious to what you first watch of the opening scene was going to be. Never mind, I'm sure there will be lots more opportunities as they come along.

I guess that's understandable considering there are almost 700 episodes.
It's really surprising me just how much I have forgotten. Obviously, I remember the big stories and some twists and turns along the way, but any small details and they're gone which is great because it gives me the chance to relive some of the magic this show has to offer.

That was actually a great scene. They way she drove over him 4 or 5 times! Brutal.
This is one scene I do remember because it was so brutal at the time, I remember feeling every bump the car had when it ran over him. I also thought that she had chopped off his leg when the reality was it was just tucked underneath him. I think I caught it on the next episode.

Canon

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The story with Franky and Doreen living with Mrs McBride

That was actually an incredibly touching scene when she said goodbye crying on the terrace. It's little touches like that that the show does really well. She's a secondary character that we probably won't see again but I like how they gave her that little moment.

Wasn't there a really great moment where Miss McBride reveals that she's known all along that Doreen and Franky are escaped convicts? She was just lonely.

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Wasn't there a really great moment where Miss McBride reveals that she's known all along that Doreen and Franky are escaped convicts? She was just lonely.

Yes, that was a nice moment. She had them sussed from the get-go. Although to be fair Franky wasn't the most convincing nun!

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I liked how daunting and frightening they made Catherine feel as she woke up for the first time inside.

That's something I'm really appreciating about the show. They include these little character moments that don't necessarily advance the story but paint a picture of just how traumatic ending up in prison is.
I remember this episode so vividly with Franky & Doreen. I was devastated when Franky was shot and thought, hoped she might have pulled through, but no, it was not going to happen, it really was the end of an amazing character.

I had listened to an audio commentary for episode 1 which spoke a lot about the characters and so i did know it was coming. I assumed she would end up getting shot by the police. It was just as her and Doreen's friendship was really starting to blossom and it showed a real caring protective side to Franky underneath all the bravado. I even thought at one point there could be a romance on the cards.

The ending where Doreen went for Karen really surprised me when I first watched it, I guess I never thought Doreen could be tough cookie like the way she is turning out to be.

That was quite shocking. As was her scene in the park when she starts lashing out at random strangers. She's gone troppo!!! She was genuinely traumatized by Frankie's demise so I put her reaction down to that, because it certainly wasn't Karen's fault the way things turned out.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
It really was and something I'm picking up on more this time around is the older actors and how much they put into the emotional scenes. I would have loved to have see Mrs McBride again, but it's nice to know that she had a good time while it was happening.

They include these little character moments that don't necessarily advance the story but paint a picture of just how traumatic ending up in prison is.
Yes, totally.

it showed a real caring protective side to Franky underneath all the bravado.
I loved that side of Franky and I do think she was another misunderstood character. Given the right help and guidance and I could see Franky doing so much better. I wonder what her relationship with the Freak would be like, if they were in the show at the same time.

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I love how the inmates pop on the radio and get the exact news they need to further the story, the same thing happens when they turn on the TV and then they turn it off before it finishes because they have a script to follow and it’s their turn to speak.

:giggle:

Doreen has certainly changed into a hard nut telling Bea to go and “bite her butt”

I'm actually quite enjoying the Doreenator. :D It's more funny than anything else, giving people attitude, roughing them up, stamping on plants. I know she doesn't stay that way but she is evolving as a character and it's good to see she can be tough when shes wants to be.

Vera sitting in the governor’s chair was amusing.

Yeah that was great and I liked Meg trying to keep a straight face as Vera was giving her orders. And then her and the social worker laughing about what a nazi she is.

Lovely little cliff-hanger when Barbara implied, she was going to drop Vera in it over her part in the drugs.

Barbara is a good character cause she is quite reckless and vindictive so you never quite know what she's gonna do next.

Last edited:

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Episode 29

I’m watching this episode with a big grin on my face as Anne realises the prisoners are on to her.

Oh, Monica is back, and Martha has some dialogue.

Back in the 80s when I watched this, I remember getting frustrated with Jean because I thought she was boring and all this chasing after Susan just didn’t interest me. Now I look back and realise just how damaging it was back then when professional doctors thought nothing was wrong with Susan and it was a care officer who kept this little train chugging along. Obviously, it shows how little regard we had for mental health 40 years ago.

Something else we weren’t very clever at either was security in every walk of life. I can’t see anyone coming from the audience on a TV show having easy access to throw acid into someone’s face. Not that I’m complaining here, it makes for great drama.

George is really working a number on Vera.

I’ve also just noticed Officer Barry.

Doreen attacking Susan worked very well for Monica, giving her the chance to grab Anne who was walking away feeling all smug. Little prepared me for what was about to happen when Anne pulled a knife on Bea “come any closer and you’re gone get bit” Stabbing Bea, throwing Monica and Anne is running for her life, now where can she hide?

Poor Bea “I think I’ve sprung a leak Monnie”

But where is Anne?

Episode 30

The search for Anne continues, while Meg and Jean gossip about Vera’s friendship with Anne outside the prison.

Looks like George is covering his back as he continues to string Vera along. I love that it’s Vera who is in the middle of this mess.

Another new character Clara Goddard introduced by Steve, she is wanting to open a halfway house, she’s even got 80’000 dollars to invest, but it comes with some restrictions, mainly religious one.

I do believe Jean is jealous.

Monnie is shoving her weight around now Bea is out of the picture and I like how they sneakily introduced another character Noeline Burke getting framed for hitting Monnie.

Now Mum is back, we are having a right old refreshing time.

Finally, Lizzie found Anne, dead! Dead in the dryer! What a great story of hide and seek this was.

The stupid detective was quick to think Monnie had killed Anne, all based on someone who is in solitary for beating on Monica. Still, I guess Monnie has learned not to mess with Noeline.

Lyne has a new love interest, and I liked the story where he lets Lyne know that he’s fallen for her. As annoying Lyne was in the beginning, it would be perfect if she got that happy ending.

A close call for Vera and Clara believing she is going to be arrested is how we ended this episode.

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Lizzie’s visit with her brother was sensational, poor old bugger!

That was a brilliant scene! Both so venomous and it was brilliantly acted by both.

One good thing came about Barbara’s transfer and that was Doreen realising that no matter how much she tries, she will never be Franky.

Yeah, it was time for that story line to come to an end. It was funny how after that realization next episode her hair is back to the way it was and she's back to being a big little girl again.

We also say goodbye to two inmates, Barbara Davidson transferred to another prison and Catherine Roberts, never to be seen again. It’s kind of sad that they would invest in four characters, give us the full story behind Catherine’s prison sentence and then do nothing, nothing at all….

Oh, that's the end of Catherine's story line?? That is a bit weird. Thought it was going somewhere more long term. I guess part of her function was to give us a better understanding of Bea and her back story with her daughter. So much for my theory that Barbara would end up dead. A bit anti climactic that she just gets transferred after her baracading herself in her room and threatens to kill herself.
I’ve looked a few times on the end credits, but it never comes up, but I’m 100% sure that the newsreader on the radio is actually the lawyer, Steve Wilson.

Yes!! I noticed that too. They should have used some other member of the cast because he has such a distinctive voice,

I spoke too soon. Lyne managed to find something to moan at and even managed to run off. All over a mild joke about her keeping the money. This also gives Vera the opportunity to have a go at Erica for allowing the project to happen.

Oh Lyne is such a dumbass. She can't even get through one day on the job without screwing things up.

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The episodes after 20 are when the show really starts to pick up steam. I love the storyline with Anne Yates when she returns.

Although I have been thoroughly enjoying the show so far, I remember just how addictive it can be when it gets going, and it doesn't quite have that momentum yet. So that's good to hear.

Alexis Colby Carrington

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Although I have been thoroughly enjoying the show so far, I remember just how addictive it can be when it gets going, and it doesn't quite have that momentum yet. So that's good to hear.
No it doesn’t. It takes a while to get going but after the first twenty episodes it picks up. 1979 is a really good start but 1980 is where the show really takes off.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
he episodes after 20 are when the show really starts to pick up steam.
But then you miss the wonderful Franky...

That is a bit weird. Thought it was going somewhere more long term.
Yes, I did too, especially looking at how detailed the whole beginning of this story was. I also thought she was an interesting character to throw into the mix and it could have been great to see her adapt to a prison life after what she was used to.

Saying that, she's no loss, the show has so many characters that will keep us going for nearly 700 episodes.

I guess part of her function was to give us a better understanding of Bea and her back story with her daughter.
Yes, that's a good point.

They should have used some other member of the cast because he has such a distinctive voice,
Steve isn't in the show forever, so I'm curious if they still use him after his character's story comes to an end.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Episode 31

Bea reading Mum’s letter on her hospital bed implied something more than what it was by the way Bea smirked.

Lizzie is just as great as an actor as the woman playing her, I always enjoy the scenes where Lizzie is used as a decoy for the others getting up to naughty tricks. Another newish inmate in Kathleen Leech and now I wonder if I confused her earlier, believing she was Mouse. Either way, she will play a larger role later and it’s not something I remember from my second watch, that is how they were introduced into the show.

Bea’s escape was brilliant and made so easy, I started to feel sorry for the officer watching over her. Still, any excuse to see Bea get up to more mischief is always welcome.

Bea turning up at Mum’s house was a shocker, surely that is the first place they will look, and this could lead to Mum going back inside. Nice one Bea.

Poor Doreen, someone chopped the head of her teddy. I say someone, it’s obvious Noeline was behind this and it gave Karen the perfect opportunity to have a go at both Monica and Noeline.

Geoff’s father who is keeping Lyne on a work release program is now wanting rid of her, it’s a total shame he is doing this, but I can see how he’s worried about the stigma of his son getting together with an ex-con.

Sad stories all around, Lyne could lose her job, Clara could end up in prison, Mum could end up back inside, Vera is losing her man and Doreen’s teddy lost its head.

I spoke too soon, Clara is in and they love her, plus teddy found its head.

Haha! Nice ending with Meg turning up at Mum’s place.

Episode 32

Another close call for Mum and as much as I love Bea, she’s kinda cruel for what she is putting Mum through.

Ha! Vera calls Lyne kissing Geoff was disgusting behaviour, obviously forgetting that she herself was seen kissing George outside the prison.

Noeline has found Clara and already taken something from her, it’s going to be interesting to see where Clara goes inside. It was fun to watch her reaction after Karen tried sticking up to Noeline and ended up injured having been thrown into the cabinet.

I really like how they write Vera, she can be hard as hell and at times frustrating to watch because of her nasty side, yet when she’s at home she’s the complete opposite, usually very vulnerable and often tugging at the viewer’s heart strings, the writing for the character is top notch, but credit also goes to Fiona Spence for creating such a diverse character.

Oh, FFS! I was looking forward to seeing what Bea looked like in a wig and then it turns out the friend she was after has moved to Sidney.

Noeline is getting familiar with Martha, she’s a great background character that they are starting to bring forward.

Well, well, well, Judy didn’t just lie about Bea’s friend she went and used her own money to get Bea out of their home. Bea looking great in the wig too.

I love Meg’s dilemma, does she act on her instinct with Mum, knowing that Mum doesn’t smoke, but in doing so, she will jeopardise herself for mixing with an ex-con. Thankfully, Bea has moved out.

I’m sat here with a massive grin on my face and it turns out Monica has managed to win Martha round and now she is calling the shots again, putting poor Noeline in her place.

I’m going to assume the story with Vera and George has come to an end, its quite a sad story when it all ends, George tying Vera up so she looks like the victim in his sordid crimes, therefore releasing her of any wrongdoings and all while she nurses a broken heart.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Episode 33

I wasn’t expecting Bea to get back in touch with Mum, especially seeing that Meg & Jean had been visiting her. It makes sense that she was mad at Judy for not mentioning her friend moving to Sidney, but I wish she would leave them alone. I honestly cannot remember where this story goes.

Monnie is doing a crap job at being top dog. How does anyone respect a top dog who just takes from everyone? Not that I think Noeline would be a better replacement.

Clara’s refusal of bail was a surprise and yet it felt very real when she spoke about making genuine friends inside against plenty of probably fake friends in the circle Clara mixes in.

Noeline’s brother and daughter pay her a visit and it’s clear there is a high level of naivety in all of them. Like so many actors in PCBH, the one playing Noeline is proving to be a little beauty (as Lizzie would say) she can take Noeline into the vicious nasty zone and in another breath turn her into a vulnerable naïve woman.

Bea’s friend Val looked very familiar to me, but I had to wait until the credits to find out why, turns out she will be a future prisoner called May from Barnhurst. I say her friend, but I’m not sure having seen her contact the police to say she will be in the park.

Val.May.jpg

Episode 34

Monnie will become Lizzie’s hero and probably most of the inmates if she manages to make some booze for everyone.

The girl next door to Val called Yvonne was funny when she said “the fat one” referring to Bea.

Another of many reasons I’m now finding out about Jean is how she has managed to sort it out for Karen to attend college, I can’t figure why I didn’t like Jean last time.

Neighbour Yvonne is quite a character, wanting to know everything about Bea, rebelling against her parents and offering to help Bea skip the country by hijacking a plane. :lol:

Ha! Lyne thought the yeast was so the inmates could make some bread. :llooll:

Monica turning on Lizzie with the booze was a shock and then I laughed at the scene the following morning where Lizzie got her hand on some and then smiled when Noeline asked why Lizzie was no longer upset “easy come easy go”

I remember (only now) how powerful the end was when Col Burke started shooting at the police, nothing really drastic just a echo box in use for the first gunshot and then having the titles appear. Back then, special effects really were remarkably simple and yet very effective.