Random things you find overrated

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Like the random things you hate thread, but this is for random things that you think are overrated.

I'll go first:

Ben & Jerry's ice cream!

I've had better - and cheaper.

Last edited:

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Netflix
- it's not the best streaming site, IMO. At least it's not "undoubtably the best" as some claim.

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
Friends
Sex and the city
Jennifer Anniston

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Netflix
- it's not the best streaming site, IMO. At least it's not "undoubtably the best" as some claim.
Can you suggest a better one, for that price? (€7,99 per month)

I have to say, it's not the best site for movies but I subscribed to Netflix for the tv series.
My to-watch list is almost empty now and there's nothing new that tempts me to watch it. But that also means I'll finally have the time to watch my DVD boxsets.

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Can you suggest a better one, for that price? (€7,99 per month)

I have to say, it's not the best site for movies but I subscribed to Netflix for the tv series.
My to-watch list is almost empty now and there's nothing new that tempts me to watch it. But that also means I'll finally have the time to watch my DVD boxsets.

You don't live in Sweden, but I would say that HBO Nordic (they offer much more than only HBO productions), Viaplay, D Play and C More as every bit as good as Netflix. If I could only choose one streaming site, I'd definitely choose HBO Nordic (which is for all 5 Nordic countries). They have next to all my favorite shows. They offer all HBO shows plus series like Twin Peaks, The Good Fight, The Handmaid's Tale, Mad Men, Penny Dreadful, American Crime, Our Cartoon President, Fargo, Feud: Bette and Joan, Killing Eve, Outlander etc. Plus many movies.

https://se.hbonordic.com/lists/all-series/f5dde064-495d-41dc-8cd7-cbb76baaf8d0

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Key West. It's overpriced, over-built, and full of alcoholics/junkies/sketchy characters. Unless you are already independently wealthy, you can't really move there and expect to prosper because the only available jobs are tourist-related, low-wage jobs. Those who do move there tend to be flighty and not "realistic", having been conned by romanticized images of Ernest Hemingway-types into thinking they can move there and start a new life "in paradise" without having any kind of work ethic. It's a magnet for criminals and criminal-wannabes who steal everything that isn't nailed down. Even if you view it simply as a total tourist trap, it gives too little satisfaction for too much effort to get there. There are dozens of places on the southern tip of Florida or the Bahamas I'd rather visit and not have to deal with the trashiness of KW.

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Netflix

There's not much for the money on Netflix, unless you're into mostly the stuff that's on now-- not much in the way of classics, unless it's the Star Trek franchise, Andy Griffith, or The Twilight Zone (the first of those being the only one I've ever really liked [O-R NBC 60s Trek especially]).

Grant Jennings

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Caviar
Cashmere
The Beatles

So glad to see someone agrees with me about "The Beatles". I would argue that they were really a boy band. "The Beatles" were performing American Blues in Germany and dressing like bikers, their career was going nowhere. They hired Brian Epstein who replaced Pete Best with Ringo Starr, I think this was because Epstein thought the "role" of the drummer needed to be "recast" with a lovable goofball (all boy bands have several archetypes). Epstein got the band fashionable haircuts, dressed them in matching suits and told them to play radio-friendly pop tunes. Nothing that came after for them as a band or as individual performers would have been possible if not for Epstein's efforts as star-maker.

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
"Scrubs", I've always thought it was as funny as watching paint dry - and I will laugh at almost anything.

You feel that way about that-- I feel the same way about quite a few classic TV comedies of the 60s (like Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C., Green Acres and The Munsters, just to name a few).

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
So glad to see someone agrees with me about "The Beatles". I would argue that they were really a boy band. "The Beatles" were performing American Blues in Germany and dressing like bikers, their career was going nowhere. They hired Brian Epstein who replaced Pete Best with Ringo Starr, I think this was because Epstein thought the "role" of the drummer needed to be "recast" with a lovable goofball (all boy bands have several archetypes). Epstein got the band fashionable haircuts, dressed them in matching suits and told them to play radio-friendly pop tunes. Nothing that came after for them as a band or as individual performers would have been possible if not for Epstein's efforts as star-maker.
You are of course perfectly entitled to your opinion about whether The Beatles are overrated but let's get the history right.
I think it's fair to say that Brian Epstein brought them to the world but it was no Stock-Aitken-Waterman operation.
He cleaned up their presentation by putting them in suits and telling them to stop eating and swearing on stage, and he used his record-store contacts to get them auditions, but the implication that he somehow controlled them musically is just wrong. It's true that they started out covering songs by their American r'n'b idols (as evidenced on three of their first four albums) but they were already also writing and performing their own material long before they met Epstein. The "Beatle haircuts" also came earlier. Nor was it his decision to fire Pete Best, that came later, for complex reasons, after they had auditioned for George Martin at Parlophone, although, in one of the more shameful chapters of their story, John, Paul and George did make Brian deliver the bad news rather than face Pete themselves.