• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Re-watching Season 4

Presea

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
I think the cliff suicide cliffhanger didn't really lead to a lot of long term fall oit. Even if Cliff hadn't died, I think sue Ellen not remarrying JR would have been more interesting.

I do.think having Rebecca start to fight in the battle was a good move...but by the 2nd half of season 5, she's killed off..so that potential is wasted. I recall reading somewhere that the show said in order to have Katherine go full out evil..they had to kill Rebecca to make that happen...but I think having Rebecca alive would have been more interesting
I agree with you totally. I like Katherine, but keeping Rebecca around sounded like it could have led to ultimately more interesting character interactions and storylines for Dallas than just the repeated sister-tries-to-steal-her-sister's-husband-and-fails-and shoots-him storyline.

Presea

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
I agree. Extending the Barnes/Wentworth family made more sense and I loved the idea that Rebecca had Cliff and Pam's back, especially against the likes of JR. Rebecca was not afraid of him or telling Miss Ellie what she really thought of her son.

Instead of having Cliff living in that ridiculous apartment we could have had a secondary mansion with Rebecca, Cliff, Afton, Katherine and Pam visiting with Christopher and Bobby. Friction of course would always be on the cards.
I would have loved that! And even though I thought Rebecca was mean for wanting to cut Cliff completely out of her life after the whole Wentworth Tool And Dye disaster, I always enjoyed their scenes together and believed they had an interesting mother and son dynamic with how they were both rebuilding their relationship and Cliff and Pam still trying to cope with Rebecca's abandonment of them in their relationship. I would have loved to see the Barnes/Wentworth family all living together and as rivals for the Ewings. With Pam having trouble with her alliances because of Bobby, and Katherine as sort of a double agent who helps JR when it is convenient for her, but ultimately remaining more neutral. And of course, Rebecca and Cliff would go all out against the Ewings!

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
For me, I hate characters like April and James just because they were an annoyance to me.
For me that was Jennilee, Cally and James. Their addition to the cast was an insult to actors. Their presence was beyond annoying for me. They reminded me of that buzzing mosquito on a hot summers night. You know it's there but for the life of me I just wanted it dead, dead, then some more dead.

JROG

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
"The Maelstrom" ("The Maelstrom", "The Prodigal", "Vengeance", "Blackmail" ... I'm liking me these dramatic one-word titles!)

It's funny how one-word titles can sound so fun and dramatic when the material is good, but come off as utterly lazy, boring and predictable when the writing is not up to par (see, most of DYNASTY)!

Some of it. There's a chunk missing in the middle.

Which episodes are you missing? I saved the thread.

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's funny how one-word titles can sound so fun and dramatic when the material is good, but come off as utterly lazy, boring and predictable when the writing is not up to par (see, most of DYNASTY)!

I think it's more to do with the words themselves. I mean, DALLAS had an episode called "The Wedding" and DYNASTY had one called "The Honeymoon", both of which are pretty good, but they're still quite dull-sounding titles!

Which episodes are you missing? I saved the thread.

Oh did you? Great! I'm missing the second ep, "Where There's a Will", and then there's a big gap between "The Ewing Touch" and "Brothers and Sisters", and then I'm also missing everything after "Caribbean Connection". If you've got any of those, I'd be dead grateful.

JROG

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think it's more to do with the words themselves. I mean, DALLAS had an episode called "The Wedding" and DYNASTY had one called "The Honeymoon", both of which are pretty good, but they're still quite dull-sounding titles!

That's certainly true, although one tends to give them a pass if the episode isn't dull itself!

Yes, I've got them! I'll send you episode 2, and then it's "Fringe Benefits" to "Legacy" (or should that include "Ewing Touch" and "Brothers and Sisters"?). The only ones I don't have are episodes 27 and 28, but those I have the shorter reviews that you did initially. PM alright?

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes, I've got them! I'll send you episode 2, and then it's "Fringe Benefits" to "Legacy" (or should that include "Ewing Touch" and "Brothers and Sisters"?). The only ones I don't have are episodes 27 and 28, but those I have the shorter reviews that you did initially. PM alright?

Brilliant, that's great, thanks! No, I don't need "Ewing Touch" and "Brothers and Sisters", and I didn't write about the last two episodes cos I was starting to bore myself by then!

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I blame myself, in part, for the thread being somewhat eaten. I started posting (too large) screen captures at one point. :oops:

Lastkidpicked

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
am is so depressed she has a nightmare. Thankfully, Bobby wakes her before she can dream of emerald mines, medical centres, sign language and Linda Gray with hair like Andy Warhol.

BWAHAHAHAHA!

You can't just skim over a James from London post. You have to carefully read it so gems like this will make you laugh out loud!