• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Recommend me a series

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
The Forsyte Saga (original or remake)

To be honest I don't remember if I liked it or not, but there was something captivating about it. The original series was a big hit, apparently.
The original 1960s black and white BBC series? I have been thinking of getting it but not sure I will actually like it.

I cant recommend UPSTAIRS DOWNSTAIRS enough though. It's a wonderful show and I fell in love with all the characters. It was just such a nice big cosy hug of a show. Like settling down to watch a play every episode.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
TENKO is also pretty bloody brilliant. I absolutely loved it. Great writing/acting and fascinating stories.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I cant recommend UPSTAIRS DOWNSTAIRS enough though
I have put this in "My Basket" so many times now...but for some mysterious reason I always remove it. I like British TV shows and I like historical dramas, but maybe not the British costume dramas with the bonnets and the high hats.
There are exceptions of course, like A Woman Of Substance, but that's a rags-to-riches mini series and it isn't only about the duke and his maid.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I have put this in "My Basket" so many times now...but for some mysterious reason I always remove it. I like British TV shows and I like historical dramas, but maybe not the British costume dramas with the bonnets and the high hats.
There are exceptions of course, like A Woman Of Substance, but that's a rags-to-riches mini series and it isn't only about the duke and his maid.
You will like it I think. It's not at all a stuffy typical costume drama. There is a lot of heart in it and it's more a character thing. I'm now curious about the spin off Thomas and Sarah?

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I saw bits of Upstairs Downstairs when I was younger, but I got depressed watching it. Also, Lesley-Anne Down annoys me.

I have series 1 of Downton Abbey, and I hope I will like it better.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
You will like it I think. It's not at all a stuffy typical costume drama. There is a lot of heart in it and it's more a character thing. I'm now curious about the spin off Thomas and Sarah?

Try to find and watch it (preferably borrowed from someone!). You will be missing the last of those both characters if not (not that I hint they die at the end...). Be ready for a big shock and see a much more somber, darker, depressing version of the same era with those two title characters. Sarah is a bit less feisty but Collins is so adorable, and Thomas is played by her real-life husband. It´s shot in exteriors mostly and it´s a bit plus too.

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's a good thing I have HBO Nordic, Netflix and Prime Video. Many of the recommended series can be found on the streaming sites. :)

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I ordered today (I will make another order around September). And the series that got chosen this time around are:

Yes, Minister (complete collection)
Yes, Prime Minister (complete collection)
Gavin & Stacey (complete collection)
Prime Suspect (complete collection)
Benidorm (s. 1-6)
The Thick of it (complete collection)
To the Manor Born (complete collection)
Porridge (complete collection)

I got recommendations from friends on Facebook as well. ;)

I didn't want to spend too much money at this point, so there are some I will save for later. Only Fools and Horses and Maelstrom for example.

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Willz, we cannot all be into boyish looking guys who look like they live at the gym or in the bathroom with 5 gallons on wax and another 5 gallons of fake-tan lotion. I will leave those boys to you. I can even send them your way. :cool1

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
She's overrated, IMO. Can't act. And her British accent almost sounds fake.
She's been a successful working actress since 1969. Had an international career, been main cast in a mega hit show, guested on various hit primetime shows, done long runs on a few different daytime soaps, countless TV movies and worked with some amazingly talented actors. Her British accent doesn't sound fake at all. What you are hearing as fake is a transatlantic accent. She's actually widely underrated.