Rewatching Central Park West

tommie

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
The reboot was a mess but as @tommie says, it was likely born out of the agreement to do a full season order. Having tried to pull in the much coveted younger audience and failing, CBS decided to target it's traditional audience of older viewers and this is how we ended up with the focus shifting to Linda & Diana in a Dynasty-lite scenario. CBS obviously knew that it was DOA though because the reboot aired two episodes a week during the summer, presumably to burn them off before the Fall schedule premiered.
Cast contracts tend to run out in July for most shows, so they likely just ran it in June to make it seem like it had a chance of renewal (it didn't). Per the press, they were originally supposed to return the show in March, but they kept pushing it. I guess CBS hated the rebooted version.

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Medals
Cast contracts tend to run out in July for most shows, so they likely just ran it in June to make it seem like it had a chance of renewal (it didn't). Per the press, they were originally supposed to return the show in March, but they kept pushing it. I guess CBS hated the rebooted version.
Gerald McRaney had already shot the pilot of Promised Land and I'm presuming that show had gone into production by the time C.P.W aired in the summer, so if by some C.P.W had been renewed, it would've likely been minus it's leading man.

tommie

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
Gerald McRaney had already shot the pilot of Promised Land and I'm presuming that show had gone into production by the time C.P.W aired in the summer, so if by some C.P.W had been renewed, it would've likely been minus it's leading man.
Eh, actors sometimes shoot pilots despite officially being attached to another show. I'm assuming that by any miracle CPW had been renewed that Gerald McRaney's contract with CPW would've gone before his Promised Land contract. With that said - Promised Land aired on CBS, so they clearly had already decided not to renew it, so I think them airing it twice a week during June was purely contractual. They might've had to pay a fine if they hadn't.

Marika

Telly Talk Member
Reaction score
I've just watched the series finale.

The reboot wasn't so bad after all – however, it was very striking that most of the original characters were either written out one by one or relegated to the backburner. Nikki for example was nowhere to be seen except for two episodes where she had one or two lines each, yet she was still credited as a regular.

Like I stated earlier, I really liked Adam Brock, and Jordan was a good addition as well. Dianna, however, annoyed me, especially the way she spoke with that faux-seductive voice all the time. It was funny how they tried to replace Peter with Tyler Brock that fast.

The writing in the B plots (Peter/Alex & Carrie/Mark) felt very controversial to me and also quite rushed. In season 1, Peter and Alex are a happy couple, then Peter sleeps with Nikki and acts nonchalant about it when Alex confronts him. Of course, she is hurt and breaks up with him, only to blackmail him into marriage with a faked pregnancy – but in the reboot, the show wants to make us believe that Peter has always been the good guy in this scenario and Alex is the crazy bitch. No, Peter was initially responsible for Alex' downward spiral because he broke her heart.

It was the same with Carrie and Mark. In the beginning, Carrie was obsessed with Mark and she forcefully wanted to destroy his marriage with Stephanie. When she got bored of him, she ditched him in the cruelest way. When he returned in the reboot, he was suddenly portrayed as the bad guy and Carrie acts as if she had a clean slate, even warning other people of him. No honey, you were responsible for him going crazy and you got a taste of your own medicine. The whole storyline was a bad attempt of turning the meanest bitch into a victim.

Rachel had become a bore. Her sleeping with Tyler was really unnecessary and the outcome was so anti-climatic – especially since only a few episodes earlier, she had realized that she deeply loved Gil.

I really wonder what the cast would have looked like if the show had received a second season.

Anyway, all in all it was a fun ride and I'm glad that I finally had the chance to watch this show.

tommie

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
I really wonder what the cast would have looked like if the show had received a second season.
I think the cast would've consisted of Brock, Linda, Carrie, Dianna, Jordan, Rachel and Tyler. I got the feeling that Gil would've also been written off once he was broken up with Rachel. I'd assume they'd add some new characters to fill some gaps.