Rewatching thoughts

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
Reaction score
Medals
What's hotter? The Texas summer or the chemistry between Dusty and Sue Ellen? Those cowboys' flannel shirts weren't the only thing wet after all those intimate, white-hot scenes....

Yes. Sue Ellen never had better chemistry with anyone else.

Funny how Dusty's mother's maiden name is Farlow but when Clayton arrives, his name is Farlow as well...

I think that Clayton wouldn't have been brought onto the scene has they not need a substitute/replacement for Jock. While they ultimately filled different roles, it can't be overlooked that Howard Keel was added to the show as Jim Davis' decline became more visible onscreen. Some of the continuity errors are hilarious in hindsight; by the end of the series, Bobby had been born in no less than three different years!

JROG

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Medals
I've been used to the crappy-looking Seasons 10, 11, and 12 for so long, that the (probably mediocre) quality of the Season 3 picture has me exclaiming in awe of how great it is!

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
Reaction score
Medals
No, as Marky has explained numerous times, even the grainy film looks much better compared to the later edited-on-video seasons--the technique for which really was only refined for the final two years of the show. 10, 11, and 12 all had at least one crappy-looking, washed-out, green-hued episode when they aired on SOAPnet.

Payton Cross

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
Reaction score
Medals
I just finished Dallas TNT series, but it's been a long time since I've seen the original seasons of Dallas (1978) on DVD, but now that the 40th anniversary of Dallas is coming up in April, it seems to me a nice moment again to rewatch Dallas again from the very beginning. :)

Rove

Telly Talk Mega Star
Reaction score
but now that the 40th anniversary of Dallas is coming up in April, it seems to me a nice moment again to rewatch Dallas again from the very beginning.
It's exactly what I plan to do with friends and family. As we sit around on bales of hay and gaze in wonderment at a pit fire albeit briefly Dallas will be shown on the big screen. Bring on the 2 April :)

Last edited:

Payton Cross

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
Reaction score
Medals
It's exactly what I plan to do with friends and family. As we sit around on bales of hay and gaze in wonderment at a pit fire albeit briefly Dallas will be shown on the big screen. Bring on the 2 April :)

Friends is also a tv-show that has been a very long time ago that I've seen that on TV and DVD's, so who knows, I'm going to re-watch Friends after Dallas. :)

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
Reaction score
Medals
Em..........JR?!?! :eck:

Sorry, his treatment of her was far too heinous for me to ever view their relationship as "hot". Sue Ellen and Dusty, on the other hand...:love6:

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
Sorry, his treatment of her was far too heinous for me to ever view their relationship as "hot". Sue Ellen and Dusty, on the other hand...:love6:

I love you too, but totally disagree. When JR and Sue Ellen were together, or even when they were apart - the flames and chemistry were out of this world!!!

Lastkidpicked

Telly Talk Addict
Reaction score
Medals
Sorry, his treatment of her was far too heinous for me to ever view their relationship as "hot". Sue Ellen and Dusty, on the other hand..
I love you too, but totally disagree. When JR and Sue Ellen were together, or even when they were apart - the flames and chemistry were out of this world!!!

I guess you wouldn't call it "hot", but one of my favorite J.R. and Sue Ellen moments is when J.R. is watching old movies of Sue Ellen in the beauty contest.

Larry Hagman did a great job of expressing, "Wow! How good things were back then. . . And how they can never recapture those times."

JROG

Reaction score
Medals
Currently on the 4th season: Saw the first 3 episodes for the first time since 2006. Really interesting to read back the reviews I wrote then and realizing how similarly I reacted today to a lot in these installments (like that police chopper tracking down Bobby. Ridiculous then, ridiculous now! And don't get me started on the cleaning lady).

There's no denying something is off and that the pace is too slow. The premiere episode is basically 15 minutes of plot stretched to 48 minutes. That being said, the writing does a good job of setting up suspects and eliminating them one by one and things pick up by episode 2.

I love that the show, while dealing with the melodrama of shootings, paralysis, and secret killers, is also interested in commenting on power, and is examining what's happening to J.R.'s power now that he's in a hospital bed unable to walk. While he's putting the screws on Cliff and making Bobby's work life difficult, he's also confronted by Jordan Lee (telling him it's a shame whoever tried to kill him didn't succeed) and most notably, Kristin, who's fantastically bitchy commentary on how J.R.'s no longer man enough and cruel teasing by kicking his wheelchair earns both the title of best scene of the season so far and J.R.'s hilarious yet loss-for-words reaction: "Bitch!"

Mitch's debut surprised me (I had no recollection of it): He was funny, charming, and (just as I thought in 2006) very good looking. The only memories I have is how annoying, boring, and repetitive Lucy and Mitch's one argument became. He quickly shows hints of that future behavior with his pride.

Principal's acting is much better here than I thought it would be, but I guess we haven't reached her breakdown yet.

It was nice to see Alan Beam again. I thought he was already done.

Also lovely to see Gary and Val. Gary discussing falling off the wagon in KNOTS LANDING's season 1 finale managed to take me all the way back to that feeling of being in the early days of watching these two soaps and what an amazing experience that was. Also, Gary and Sue Ellen had some great chemistry. It made me picture Gary coming back to DALLAS, having an affair/relationship with Sue Ellen, and igniting another war with J.R. while he and Sue Ellen continue to be alcoholics together, going on binges, and trying to outdo each other in pathetic, self-loathing behavior.

JROG

Reaction score
Medals
God, I just adore the location shooting and keep forgetting just how great it is to see the Southfork exterior being used so much. The authenticity of the local Texas area is so great.

The Ray reveal unfolds so fast -- it's almost breathtaking in its speed -- but it feels right considering Jock's involvement and his propensity for straightforwardness. The show understands the juice is not in the secret but in the reactions once the truth is known.

It also allows Kanaly to really dig deep into something. I found Ray's desire not to upset Jock's family incredibly touching and Kanaly's delivery was superb and raw.

This is the second seminal moment in Ray's development (after Garnett and J.R.) that changes everything from now on.

JROG

Reaction score
Medals
Trouble at Ewing 23 is one of those episodes I found sort of annoying and pointless in first viewing but this time around I thought it was an excellent (nearly self-contained) story and a great twist to the conflict between J.R. and Bobby over the use of the fields. It's also the episode where we find out Cliff and Donna have been dating for 7 weeks but I'm still not seeing much chemistry between the two.

Generally, I have been enjoying the season more than I thought I would. Binging something can seriously alter the experience.

Most unusually, the show loses some continuity points by having Pam's detective tell her for the second time the news that Rebecca was seen three months after her supposed death, news she heard 2 episodes ago and even shared with Cliff. I can't tell if they goofed or (most likely) were looking for material to fill the time and excuse Pam's visit to Cliff so she could find out about Cliff and Donna. It only serves to illustrate that there is, indeed, a problem with this season. Why not come up with another small revelation? Anything.

The Prodigal Mother is kinda great. There's this wonderful shot of Rebecca standing by the pool when Pam visits her that evokes old Hollywood glamour. It feels like such a big moment when Pam lies to Cliff that her search didn't pan out.

JROG

Reaction score
Medals
Miss Ellie being accepting of Ray as a Ewing (in fact, almost expecting it) but then becoming bitter when it turns out to be a good reason for Gary not to be worried about Southfork anymore is nothing short of brilliant. The foundation for the Miss Ellie/Jock clash, which Takapa folds into, has been wonderfully laid out.

The casting of Joel Fabiani and Monte Markham (who is good) confounded me to no end as a teenager. Visually incompatible with their leading ladies, too old, and too staid, yet we had to spend week by week with them. The Sue Ellen/Clint thing is especially bizarre, since the show seems to suggest they haven't seen each other for ten years, since Sue Ellen's college years.... that would make Clint and Sue Ellen about the same age and would mean Clint is about 34. Surely not?!

This time around, the casting strikes me as purposeful. The existence of Clint and Alex in Sue Ellen and Pam's lives is excused in terms of plot but they have also been cast with actors who will not pose a significant threat to the husbands in their lovers' lives. No fear of pesky chemistry getting in the way and the audience falling in love with them!

Anyway, I didn't remember that the foundation for Dusty's return was laid out as early as Sue Ellen's bail and I'm about ready for Sue Ellen's "lover," to come back.

Funny how your mind sort of compresses events. It takes half of the season for Leslie Stewart to show up. I could've sworn she was there much sooner. Still, I have found the season much more decent, complex, and exciting than memory suggested. That "Japanese restaurant" scene with Leslie and J.R. however is beyond bizarre. I mean, Octopus as foreplay?

Last edited:

JROG

Reaction score
Medals
Mark of Cain is definitely closer to what I remembered Season 4 being like: Quite a drag.

I think Pam's perm disturbed the time and space continuum and it all turned out wobbly.

Last edited:

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
Reaction score
Medals
Did you notice how much screen time was used up in the season premiere on the camera showing the plane land, before panning to Sue Ellen passed out in the car? Everything on now is edited with so many fast cuts that it definitely puts the show in a different time and place.

Trouble at Ewing 23 would be a hard pass for re-watching if not for the scenes involving Ray, and the revelations of everyone finding out about Donna and Cliff.

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
Reaction score
Medals
I did like Donna and Cliff's relationship if for no other reason than it gave Susan Howard a reason to be on the show :)

Toni

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
Did you notice how much screen time was used up in the season premiere on the camera showing the plane land, before panning to Sue Ellen passed out in the car? Everything on now is edited with so many fast cuts that it definitely puts the show in a different time and place.

Trouble at Ewing 23 would be a hard pass for re-watching if not for the scenes involving Ray, and the revelations of everyone finding out about Donna and Cliff.

100% Agree. It´s the same thing that happens with others from that season like "Executive Wife" or "The Prodigal Mother" (both Pam-centric). They seem to be clearly divided into scenes for men and scenes for women (romance and bidness, how very 80s). When the episode gets boring, they feature such a scene like the Power Speech from Jock, in every sense much better than the rest of the season´s filler subplots including, you know, Sue Ellen´s Clint and Ms. Librarian Leslie Stewart.

JROG

Reaction score
Medals

Indeed I did. It was honestly a little absurd. I swear it took a minute for the camera to pan all the way to the car LOL While I agree the pacing and editing is certainly of a different era, that particular episode felt quite stretched.

JROG

Reaction score
Medals
I did like Donna and Cliff's relationship if for no other reason than it gave Susan Howard a reason to be on the show :)

Without a doubt, anything that keeps Donna busy and on screen is a plus... but a real shame two of the best actors on the show didn't share a better chemistry/connection. Then again, I don't see Donna ever being able to put up with Cliff's scheming/ambition long-term.