• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Rewatching thoughts

JROG

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I have made my way through Season 2 for the first time in 11+ years and am into Season 3. So many new and exciting things pop up now that I've almost forgotten everything!

I know Marky/ @UnPrincipaled started such a thread before the Crash of 2016 so I'll gladly continue my thoughts in a new thread if he chooses to re-start it!

Season 2 ended up being so much better than I even remembered. I never thought I'd say this about DALLAS, but the way they handled their only gay character (so far, I guess), Kit, was actually very sensitive and a highlight of the season. Just like Triangle was so important in terms of Ray's character, Royal Marriage managed to build a whole new dimension to Lucy when she decided NOT to be vengeful after Kit came out to her and, instead, proved her love for him by protecting him. Even though it probably set up the Lucy-as-romantic-victim never-ending fiasco, such a decision on this show was revolutionary, and undoubtedly the episode with Tilton's best performance ever. No wonder she cited it as her favorite Lucy storyline.

What fun to see Donna debut again! And the totally unexpected backstory of both her parents dying in a car crash. This is a forgotten detail that could have come in handy when Katzman apparently no longer had any ideas for Donna. What happened when Donna 'went away' for a few years? Could there have been a baby at that time? Could her parents' deaths be connected to that?? So many possibilities. Donna didn't even need to be pregnant -- Ray would have to deal with a child that's not his!

Speaking of Ray, there's a very cool little detail at the end of the season, when Garnett's hit song come on the radio -- she made it! Ray turns the radio off.

Both Sue Ellen and Lucy abusing substances at the same time was exactly as hilarious and amazing as I remembered it being.

If anyone wants to share thoughts as they do the whole series again or watch random episodes, please feel welcome!

JROG

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Season 3 begins and it improves even more on the improved Season 2. I'm most excited in rewatching Alan Beam and Miss Ellie's cancer story, not really remembering much at all about any of it.

The neurofibromatosis angle is brilliant but, like the Kit Mainwaring story, sets up Pamela for her worst, baby-crazy, badly acted, period. Suddenly, Bobby is MUCH more condescending and annoying when it comes to dealing with his wife than he has ever been before. The fairytale Romeo & Juliet marriage is no more, because the writers now clearly side with Bobby, no matter what.

There's SO much exterior shooting in the first 3 episodes. The light is almost blinding and it's very windy -- you can just feel how hot it is.

Larry Hagman comes back from the break noticeably heavier -- is it bloating from substance abuse, a medical issue, or a star who let himself go? The show itself notices, and has Jock make fun of J.R. for being fat! You can't see that happening later on.

I love how they foreshadow the Amanda story by sending the Ewings to watch a play about an ex-wife that comes back for revenge. Of course, I was disappointed than didn't actually come to be, but let's see how I feel about it this time around.

Sue Ellen's post-partum depression is the absolute highlight so far. And, poor John Ross: Drama from the very beginning!

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
I still wish you'd make episode reviews for these really early seasons, if you can. They would be so funny, especially with episodes like Runaway and Kidnapped!

I agree (oink oink).

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
I still wish you'd make episode reviews for these really early seasons, if you can. They would be so funny, especially with episodes like Runaway and Kidnapped!

i second or third that idea!! and hope there is more to come on the current series you are reviewing
BF xx

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I have made my way through Season 2 for the first time in 11+ years and am into Season 3. So many new and exciting things pop up now that I've almost forgotten everything!
Like you I am re-visiting Dallas (and on a side note, The West Wing). It's been a number of years since I've watched the series and I'm loving it with renewed vigor. Those first several episodes are still a bit of a challenge since they're considered stand-a-lone but once we get into the more serialized Dallas it's a blast. I'd forgotten how much I miss Tina Louise's character Julie Grey. Tina had good chemistry with Larry and later Jim Davis when she returned to Dallas and developed a friendship with Jock.

Alan Beam reminded me a little of "Bum" from TNT Dallas. J.R. always needed someone on the side to do his dirty work but Alan needed J.R. more. I swear Alan would have fallen to his knees and pleasured J.R., ;) if so requested. Yet another character I would have loved to see either hang around or return to Dallas at some point.

Kit's story inclusion I thought was ground-breaking and finally I began to warm to the character of Lucy...but just a little...because it didn't last long.

And finally...Donna's introduction. From the get-go I liked her. Unlike those Ewing's navel-gazing, my first impressions of Donna was that she had been well schooled and had traveled. What she was to see in that cow dung scooping cowboy Ray beggars belief, but it worked.

Last edited:

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
There's SO much exterior shooting in the first 3 episodes. The light is almost blinding and it's very windy -- you can just feel how hot it is.

This clearly worked with Dallas, especially with the scenes on the patio, breakfast by the pool or swimming, which I bet was frequently used between shots. Their are notable scenes where clearly the men are having trouble with the heat with sweaty armpits and drenched shirts. This however worked in its favour, after-all this is a working ranch. I also liked the sound of a distant thunderstorm. All this worked unlike the awful Southfork replicated on a Hollywood Studio Lot. I could see the seams in the distant clouds.

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
This kind of makes me wish I had saved the review of "The Outsiders" you wrote especially for the Ray & Donna thread many moons ago. I definitely second (or third) how hot the opening of that season is. In "Whatever Happened the Baby John", you can literally feel the Texas heat radiating from the screen.

JROG

LV

Reaction score
Awards
My sentimental ass cried buckets at the end of "The Lost Child." I was sure I'd find it cheesy and was totally surprised by the depth of emotion I felt.

So far, I've cried twice with the show: When Cliff sees John Ross for the first time, and when Bobby and the kid say goodbye.

I wonder which other moments will prove to be far more emotional and touching this time around?

Don Howard

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
I miss Tina Louise's character Julie Grey. Tina had good chemistry with Larry and later Jim Davis

Ginger never did it for me on Gilligan's Island. However, Julie really gets the libido flaring.

Presea

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
My sentimental ass cried buckets at the end of "The Lost Child." I was sure I'd find it cheesy and was totally surprised by the depth of emotion I felt.

So far, I've cried twice with the show: When Cliff sees John Ross for the first time, and when Bobby and the kid say goodbye.

I wonder which other moments will prove to be far more emotional and touching this time around?
Am I the only one who could not stand that Luke kid? Liked the rest of that episode, though.

Ms Southworth

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Am I the only one who could not stand that Luke kid? Liked the rest of that episode, though.

Maybe, you are! :cool1

I loved the entire episode - both way back then and today. I got (and still get) emotional watching the scene from the hospital (where Pam tells Bobby about the genetic disease), the scene in which Bobby tells Luke about the lost child, and finally the scene where Bobby says goodbye to Luke! All so sad for different reasons! :(

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I have teared up a few times while watching the show--"Barbeque Four", "Check and Mate", and "Swan Song"--though after a number of viewings I think I become hardened to some of the more emotional moments.

JROG

LV

Reaction score
Awards

I agree (oink oink).

i second or third that idea!! and hope there is more to come on the current series you are reviewing
BF xx

Thank you guys, much appreciated, although it's a little too late for a "watching for the first time" LOL and James from L does rewatching reviews so much more brilliantly!

But, yes, more on Season 11 coming soon!

JROG

LV

Reaction score
Awards
This kind of makes me wish I had saved the review of "The Outsiders" you wrote especially for the Ray & Donna thread many moons ago. I definitely second (or third) how hot the opening of that season is. In "Whatever Happened the Baby John", you can literally feel the Texas heat radiating from the screen.

Wait, I did? Oh, God, does my memory suck! I guess this was the third time I watched the episode, then, although you couldn't tell from what I remembered from it lol

JROG

LV

Reaction score
Awards

For me, he was just the catalyst for all the other, much more important things, going on in the episode. I have to say, though -- it terms of child acting, I don't think anyone ever surpassed that kid, including John Ross and especially Chriscries.

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound

the Lost child, Rodeo and Mastectomy were the epiosdes where i became less of a Dallas fan and more of a Dallas addict, they were perfect
I loved the Lost Child and i still have a tear in my eye when Luke shakes hands with Bobby, leaves in the van and then jumps out to run back and give Bobby a hug (and his hat falls off) So moving then Miss Ellie looks at pam and Pam looks on like a lost soul and Bobby has a tear in his eye
pass me my kleenex

was always a surprise to see Luke pop up as a vampire in salems lot and he scared me half to death :eck:

JROG

LV

Reaction score
Awards
"Rodeo" is such a masterpiece. From a production standpoint (so evolved, so rich, so complicated) to the deeply psychosexual dynamics of the characters...

This is a perfect example of Ray's vulnerable masculinity. So incredibly masculine as he breezes through the rodeo but also sensitive and confused. His proclivity for feeling sorry for himself begins to show here.

What's hotter? The Texas summer or the chemistry between Dusty and Sue Ellen? Those cowboys' flannel shirts weren't the only thing wet after all those intimate, white-hot scenes....

Funny how Dusty's mother's maiden name is Farlow but when Clayton arrives, his name is Farlow as well...