nuDynasty Episode Chat S01e05: Company Slut

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
Strange how every new episode gets to be my favorite, this show is really getting better and better.
Lots of cool moments between Cristal and Fallon. Loved "the photo"! Fallon's look on it was hilarious! :lol:
Nice little conversations between our best buddies, "Jo&Jo", Sammy and Anders do get along really well. :D
Enter Ted Dinard! That was a surprise, i didn't expect that.
They're doing some things right that TNT Dallas did soooo wrong, for example the regulary breakfast/dinner table scenes.
Best line: Cristal to Blake "Now get your ass out of my chair!" :D
The confrontation between Blake and Fallon was so intense and well played, i think it was Grant Shows best performance as Blake so far.
The cliffhanger was great and a homage to the original show.
Spoiler for next week (from the short CW-preview):
So the preview shows that next week Claudia is invited to recover at the mansion, Cristal brings her flowers and Claudia throws the vase at the wall in anger. Another great homage! :dance:

Last edited:

Soaplover

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Claudia is the only one so far I'm k8nd of rooting for. What Blake sees as unbalanced is actually Claudia calling a spade a spade.

The problem with Fallon vs Cristal is that both are them are unlikable bitches. While Fallon is supposed to be that, isn't Cristal supposed to be the sympathetic one? Im not sure if it's the writing or acting choices of the performer.

Sammy jo/Steven isn't going anywhere.. strnagely making Sammy Jo a gay male and Steven sure of his sexuality 100 percent has kind of zap the pairing of a lot of potential storyline conflict. Maybe Steven should have been bi...so that Claudia/Steven could happen like it did in the original show..with Claudia accepting he is bi and fooling around with Sammy Jo... a trople in an odd sort of way..if u will.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
There now follows some random word vomit... I'm too tired to make sense.

I liked this episode more too. It opened up the characters a bit more. A lot of talk about Blake's father Tom, I cant remember is he alive in this version of Dynasty? Anders see's a lot of himself in Sam Jo. So Anders was a thieving hustler who made good. That's a different take on Joseph isn't it?
Claudia balling out Cristal at Carrington Atlantic was good, and Blake running her over in the final scene reminded me of original Dynasty's The Fragment.
I was not expecting to see Ted Dinard pop up. That was a well kept secret, and he's a looker too. Here Ted's the top for sure? Yea? :p
Steven was less annoying and less OTT. I don't fully get his forgiveness of Sam Jo though. And we see Blake and Anders played parts behind the scenes in getting rid of Ted originally and this time. It's all so twisty turny!

All round it felt very soapy in a good way. And was an improvement over the last two episodes. I loved "Everybody Wants To Rule The World" intro/fashion montage too.
Blake calls Fallon heartless, just like her mother! Michael sees through Fallon's lies and manipulations. I am liking Michael more each episode.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It would have been more meaningful (and not made Steven look stupid and/or desperate) if Steven had said that he forgives Sam...but that he no longer trusts him, and without trust there would be no relationship regardless. The growing pile of lies, tricks, manipulations, etc. that Sam has pulled in the brief time Steven has known him would make any sane person write off Sam, regardless of how good he may be in the sack.

That Sam/Joseph conversation didn't seem as clear-cut as it was presented. Joseph might have been sincere in his revelations about his past, but it was awfully convenient that Sam acted on Joseph's "advice" in a way that trashed his relationship with Steven and further endangered his "meal ticket" (rent-free luxury at the Carringtons). Getting Sam out of the house benefits Joseph even more because Cristal would not have a single ally in the mansion, making her feel further isolated and intimidated. But y'know what? I would not mind one bit if Joseph managed to get Sam booted out of the mansion, because his blatant, shameless sponging off the Carringtons is so obnoxious.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's a bloody Blaisdel massacre, and Ted Dinard is a slut too.
If she's dead, then this could become THE trial.
This was much better, very soapy. Just wish Jeff was more of player, a little more "Cecil". Where's his drugs cartel and the whore house?
Is Atlanta so squeaky-clean?

Joe & Joe are so hot together! I mean it.

Just loved how Fallon blackmailed Annie Lennox, I could see her as JR's daughter.
But everything between Fallon and Cristal is still a terrible cheese-fest. It's just not smart or funny.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
but it was awfully convenient that Sam acted on Joseph's "advice" in a way that trashed his relationship with Steven and further endangered his "meal ticket"
But Sammy Jo could have considered the consequences himself. How many times can you say "sorry"?
To me it looked as if "Ted" was the problem (to Steven and therefore the Carringtons), and Anders took care of it.
Sammy Jo is a loser, he can deal with him later. Why not use him first?

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
But everything between Fallon and Cristal is still a terrible cheese-fest. It's just not smart or funny.
I agree it feels forced and is the worst thing about the show now. They have to have a catfight/slap/drink thrown in face/push in grave scene every episode. It's too much and these scenes make me cringe. Really!
So much about their dynamic doesn't work for me. They are two close in age. They are two Mean Girls in their delivery and it doesn't feel high stakes. It's like bratty teen doesn't like new twenty-something step mom. WHO CARES? Bring on the ex-wife from hell who can wipe the floor with these amateurs. God can you imagine Joan Collins landing in on this cast back in 1981. It would have been a blood bath.

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Also... Pet peeve. Fallon's hair. Girl needs to get some conditioning treatment on those frazzelled dry ends. I want to kill the show's hairstylist.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I agree that Fallon and Cristal are getting tired with their silly spats - in fact, I think the Cristal/Claudia conflict is more interesting at this point, mostly because Claudia isn't aiming for faux bitchiness. She actually has every right to be pissed at Cristal. With that said, I hope that Fallon being out of the mansion will help further her character beyond throwing bitchy lines at Cristal. The Blake/Fallon scene was actually good.

Oh, Trampy Ho! Being used, but even on the original Trampy had a learning curve. But really Steven, there's no need to be forgiving. Sheez, you're looking kind of dumb.

To me it looked as if "Ted" was the problem (to Steven and therefore the Carringtons), and Anders took care of it.
Sammy Jo is a loser, he can deal with him later. Why not use him first?

Definitively. Sammy Jo was just a pawn in this instance and I'm sure Anders knew that Sammy Jo's negotiating skills to get what he wants is always going to be in the sack.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Claudia is the only one so far I'm k8nd of rooting for. What Blake sees as unbalanced is actually Claudia calling a spade a spade.

Isn't this a soap staple? Either the so-called crazy one turns into a bonfide psycho with mad bombing skillz or they end up actually seeing things for what they are.

Or both.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And this is the problem with the show having no concept of "quiet class" as they (briefly) did with the original Krystle as cast with Linda Evans. It provided the context for everything.

But now, in nuDYNASTY, Crystal versus Fallon is just a fight between Two Fallons.

The only way you can tell the difference between the two women now is that Crystal is a brunette with fewer highlights and she sometimes pretends to say something sympathetic about somebody.

Andrew Baker

Telly Talk Newbie
LV

Reaction score
I must admit, I am really not routing for this Cristal at all. In fact, I really hope this time, Alexis gets her man!

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Both with the episodes I watched and the subsequent synopses I can't accept this as DYNASTY. It is a generic CW clone, with other CW products (like Gossip Girl's early seasons) actually superior to this. They claimed to have based this version on Fallon and Cristal, and these are the two characters they ruined the most.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Crystal versus Fallon is just a fight between Two Fallons
I don't mind a bitchier Cristal, I just don't want it to look so lame.
A better script, just a little bit more sophisticated, makes the difference between tension and no tension at all.
Open hostility can be fun (I prefer the opposite because I like it when they're seething), but it doesn't have to look stupid.

I liked the opening scene, Cristal and her shoes, but Fallon's wardrobe is horrible. She often looks like a plump maiden.

Grant Jennings

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I loved it, each episode is better than the last. No, it isn't perfect but there's more to like about the show than to dislike. I didn't like the references to the trumps and kardashians - enough, already. I also could have done without Cristal spraying Fallon with champagne, I would have preferred this be a verbal sparring match.

What I liked was Cristal and Fallon trying to out-maneuver each other at the photo-shoot (though it was awfully convenient that all ten women were there at one time). I'm really happy to see that there are some consequences to bad behavior: Fallon is getting exactly what she deserves; I think Steven handled both Ted and Sam very well. I don't think Steven forgiving Sam was a weak thing to do - strong people forgive, weak people carry grudges. Sure, Steven could have made a speech about not trusting Sam but I think that's a given. Ted sure is different; did he do crystal meth and want to have bareback sex with Steven? That's what I'm reading into this.

Cristal's handling of Kylie and Deirdre showed some shrewd thinking. I think the show is sometimes guilty of breaking the "show me, don't tell me" rule by telling us how smart Fallon is instead of showing it. Here, they showed me that Cristal has both smarts and integrity (well, as much integrity as the company slut can have). LOVED the reference to Mike Pence, this and the 1% line from the pilot almost make up for the trump and kardashian references.

Do we even need Alexis? Fallon is coming off as a composite of Fallon and Alexis, she's such a bitch I don't see how they can have someone even bitchier on the show.

Claudia's in need of medical attention. Paging Dr. Toscanni!

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Cristal's handling of Kylie and Deirdre showed some shrewd thinking
The "women on the workfloor" issue was surprisingly in-depth for NuDynasty.
Fallon is coming off as a composite of Fallon and Alexis, she's such a bitch I don't see how they can have someone even bitchier on the show
Depends on who she's fighting.
Paging Dr. Toscanni!
Haha, more old names and more new faces. Bring it on!
I wonder when Cristal will get pregnant.
And who should kill the foetus? I think Jeff should do it, for Fallon. I want to see Jeff taking things from Blake.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
What is she already IS pregnant....

What I liked was Cristal and Fallon trying to out-maneuver each other at the photo-shoot (though it was awfully convenient that all ten women were there at one time).

And here I thought I was the only one who noticed that! If these women are all in such demand and important to their respective companies, it should have been virtually impossible to coordinate their schedules to all be in one place at the same time. Where I work, trying to get seven department heads out of fifteen together for a conference call requires a month of pre-planning. We don't even TRY to get more than five of them together for in-person meetings. It's like herding cats.