nuDynasty Episode Chat S01E06: I Exist Only For Me

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Fallon moves out, Claudia moves in.
Sammy Jo discovers something about Claudia's medication, and Steven discovers something about Stansfield.
Fallon is seriously pissed that Michael is still dating Corey Rucks:lmao:but now she's staying in his hi-tech house and it looks like something is developping.
Shock! Claudia is pregnant, and she wants to raise Matthew's baby together with Cristal!

Blake gets naked and starts to kiss Claudia, thinking she is Cristal.
Maybe Claudia is the new Alexis character?

Miss Texas 1967

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Sammy Jo and Claudia were more entertaining here than they have been all season.

Fallon is getting on my nerves, not even just her constant bitchy remarks but the general lack of direction she has. It's been a while since she split off from Blake and merged with Jeff, can she actually start getting things done (and no I don't mean getting drunk at parties lol).

Blake is so bland. Steven is getting up there on the bland scale too. I don't hate either of them, I just don't care about them.

Cristal is kind of all over the place for me, she's kind, but she's bitchy, and she's smart and powerful, but she's yet to actually do much of anything at work yet.

Going back a week (I think it was last week's episode? Was it this week?), I find it ludicrous that there was any shock on Cristal's part regarding the sex tape and the public relations reaction to it. For goodness sake, in this day and age, it seems so unrealistic for a woman of Cristal's age to not consider the ramifications of taking your clothes off in front of a camera (even for private consumption). They constantly mention the Kardashians, not everyone is "lucky" enough to spin a sex tape into a positive story lol

MarkSinacori

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm still finding Fallon's stories to be a bore. They just repeat week after week. We are in episode 6 and she won that award and barely is even working. She just visits Jeff at what's supposed to be the offfice. The other stories are much more exciting. Anything with Claudia is good. There was a lot of that in episode 6, but also a lot of Fallon who bored me to death. Jeff said they didn't have sex. After 6 episodes? They're making it seem like a tamer version of 90210! Wish she'd just get a new story, but the job thing with her really is dragging on. If they get into the story with her and her mother it would be better. I'm waiting to see if Jeff sleeps with Sammy Jo. He doesn't seem 100% straight to me. 6 episodes and he hasn't slept with her yet, acts gay, doesn't seem like he's all that interested in her...hasn't really made attempts except the one kiss we saw...just lame. The more I think about it I would like to see him written off. Even if they break with the original show and take the characters on different directions. He's not that amazing of a character. The others are all suitable, but he's been the worst since day 1.

Last edited:

MarkSinacori

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Fallon moves out, Claudia moves in.
Sammy Jo discovers something about Claudia's medication, and Steven discovers something about Stansfield.
Fallon is seriously pissed that Michael is still dating Corey Rucks:lmao:but now she's staying in his hi-tech house and it looks like something is developping.
Shock! Claudia is pregnant, and she wants to raise Matthew's baby together with Cristal!

Blake gets naked and starts to kiss Claudia, thinking she is Cristal.
Maybe Claudia is the new Alexis character?

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The past two episodes have been so dry that they may as well rename the show DRYNASTY

only Sam and Claudia are the most interesting characters along with Anders, Jeff is a blank canvas, Fallon is annoying me because she constantly loses to Krystle, speaking of which I feel the writers can't make their mind up on her on whether she's a saint or sinner maybe its part of who she is, I dunno, Blake boring, Steven boring, Monique boring, Michael is still good and is also shaping up to being a good character and he's also a good actor.

I hate that they immediately put Sam and Ted together because all gay guys just jump into bed with one another from the get go, the original series was much better in handling this, Steven mk1 had standards and wanted a relationship not cheap thrills,
I have a feeling Sam's mother is going to be Virginia dunno why.

Claudia is awesome I hope she sticks around to annoy the Carrington's for s few more years, we need a separate faction that is neither pro Carrington nor pro Alexis nor pro Jeff, Brianna Brown seems to be the few on the show who is actually acting just like her predecessor Pamela Bellwood.

I'm noting a trend, alot if the reference in terms of quotes from the original series and episode titles are from seasons 6 thru 8 ie the chaotic years of Dynasty mk1, I was hoping the lady (forgot her name) who Krystle promoted would be Tracy Kendall.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
A lot of the action in this episode seemed designed to make the viewer start putting pieces together. Or perhaps my mind was just wandering in the boring parts. o_O

I can forgive the seemingly "boring" characters mentioned above, mostly because the show has so much to do in setting up stories, etc. that they have not gotten around to fleshing out certain characters. Keep in mind that some of these future plot developments are what will give us viewers better insight into what they're all about. So if Jeff is just holding Fallon's purse for a while, it might be because the writers are biding their time, waiting to reveal some juicy tidbit about what he's up to. Claudia seemed kind of boring until this episode, when they gave us more than a few seconds of her that was more than histrionics. Other characters might get similar sub-plots.

I do agree with the general feeling that Fallon's "wandering", though. She's coming close to getting on my nerves. And though he has his charms, Sam's unapologetic enthusiasm about wasting Blake's money in new and ever-expanding ways is even more annoying. I've always hated houseguests who make themselves too much at home.

I mentioned earlier about "putting pieces together" and I ended up developing several theories about where things might be going. I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking Stansfield is behind Matthew's death, and in this episode I also wondered if he was responsible for switching Claudia's medicine. Even further, I wonder if her entire borderline behavior is due to the false meds, that once Cristal and Sam get her the correct medicine, she will start behaving more lucidly. Perhaps Stansfield slipped her the false meds because she saw something she should not have, and rather than kill her he doped her up to keep her from recalling what she saw. Once she starts acting normally, though, she will end up a target. Steven will solve the Matthew murder case around that time, leaving him on Stansfield's list, as well.

Of course, a part of me wonders if Claudia's not as nutty as she wants people to believe. My first exposure to this actress, Brianna Brown, was when she played Fatal-Attraction-type psycho Lisa Niles on General Hospital, where she started out all sweet before melting down, pulling all sorts of stunts to break up the marriage of her obsession, Patrick Drake. At one point she even waved around a syringe full of HIV-tainted blood and threatened people. Patrick's brother had to clock her over the head with a giant wrench. At any rate, I will always look at this actress suspiciously! The odd closing scene of Claudia and Blake only fed my suspicions, since I find it hard to believe that huge mansion only has one soaker tub to use.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
they may as well rename the show DRYNASTY

Brianna Brown seems to be the few on the show who is actually acting
In all fairness, she got the most emotional storyline.
Then she did all the fun stuff with Sammy Jo, and still got the opportunity to smash a vase.
He doesn't seem 100% straight to me. 6 episodes and he hasn't slept with her yet, acts gay, doesn't seem like he's all that interested in her...hasn't really made attempts except the one kiss we saw...just lame
I think Jeff wants her to fall in love with him, not just a drunken one-night stand.
Also, it looks like they've already started to mellow Fallon ("why is everybody leaving me?"), which means there's room for a new super-bitch. But who??:thinks:

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking Stansfield is behind Matthew's death, and in this episode I also wondered if he was responsible for switching Claudia's medicine.
That would be nice, if they hadn't already made him the obvious culprit for Willy's death. I still hope they're going to surprise us, although I can't think of any other candidate.
Unless it was Claudia's genius masterplan, trying to manoeuvre herself into the Carrington world, and then frame Stansfield for everything that happened.

I was hoping the lady (forgot her name) who Krystle promoted would be Tracy Kendall.
:yep:Excellent idea!! The nice girl falls in love with Blake at a later time.

MarkSinacori

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Obviously it's Stansfield. Or is it not?!

I was 100% accurate even before Melrose started on the CW that Vanessa killed Sydney. Even when they said the murderer was "in" the pilot, we only heard her voice on the phone!

Stansfield is the most obvious. Well, you know it could have been that guy who killed himself, but he's dead now, too! Stansfield I am 100% sure he did it.

RebelHeart

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
My issue is with story - or lack of it. There seem to be a lot of events but it’s unclear what these things mean. And it’s here that I can’t help but compare to the original where every character had a back-story or secret that gave tension and shape to plot in episodes. For example: Fallon was hiding from Jeff that she hated him - and from Blake that she had sold herself in marriage to save his company through Cecil. It underpinned every scene. The Krystle/Matthew/Claudia triangle had more stakes to it when Matthew was alive. Sammy Jo knew she wanted money so targeted sexually confused Steven when Krystle kept treating her like a child. Yes, these may be old fashioned stories - but they made sense and had impact on characters we cared about. I get that they’re now telling stories in more non-linear ways... but when the impact of them is nil (Steven at the boxing gym - what was that about?) or episodically contained with no follow through (Woman of the Year) then they prove less than compelling. I want to care about these characters and the stories that affect them. But episodic events are turning them into slight caricatures (Fallon - so much promise in Ep 1. Wasted now, lurching from one comedy snipe to another). Every so often there seems to be a glimmer of hope when characters show attitude to each other, but it gets thrown away in plotting (Blake hated Ted Dinard - why? Will Steven ever learn about Sam being set up to sleep with Ted? Will he do anything about it?). Give me good stories, where I understand the stakes and how the characters feel - particularly about each other - and I can watch through budget-sized parties (oh, but please stop having a party every day episode) and dubious costume choices. I want to love this show - it’s got great elements. But very little heat.

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
Hey RebelHeart, i agree with most what you say.
But i'm afraid we will have to deal with what they're offering us. That's all we will get. Unfortunatly. :(
We only have 2 choices: deal with it or quit. I'll stay with nuDynasty at least for a while longer.
For as long as i think that this Dynasty is still better than no Dynasty at all. ;) After that, i'll quit.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Obviously it's Stansfield. Or is it not?!
But that's the point: where is the mystery?
Mystery can be told from different angles: whodunit or who-discovers-whodunit.
Steven already suspected Stansfield after Willy had died, now he discovered something in the boxing school.
This can't be about Stansfield, it has to be about something or someone else.
Perhaps Steven starts to suspect his father, and how much he's involved with Stansfield shady activities, but Steven has already hinted at that too.

So I'm very curious to know how they're going to surprise us. Although, at this point, does anyone still care who killed Matthew?
And that's the result of tacky writing: I only care for the moment I'm watching it, not the characters or the story, let alone retroactively.

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
Although, at this point, does anyone still care who killed Matthew?
And that's the result of tacky writing: I only care for the moment I'm watching it, not the characters or the story, let alone retroactively.

Nope, i don't. And i'm kind of sad about it. I SO WANT this show to make me care, but it just fails to do so. Why, CW? :( I really so much WANTED to LOVE or even care about this show, but you just refuse to give me ANY reason! :( Why???
Oh of course, i'll still watch it. But you've wasted SO many chances! And this i will NEVER forget! :(

Last edited:

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's all consistent with most shows today: stuff just happens -- frenetically, sometimes cleverly, usually too quickly for there to be much in the way of convincing character development, etc.

Soaplover

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Matthew dying in the pilot short circuited an interesting story just as it got started. The show runner Sallie Patrick said in an interview that she was conflicted killing matthew off so early but that Esther S advised to focus more on the business then the personal so she went through with killing him off. I still think killing matthew wasn't a bad idea, just maybe made it a mid season cliffhanger after milking the potential conflicts of claudia/Matthew, claudia/Cristal, blake/Cristal, matthew/cristal..and even blake/Cristal.

As a show runner, if you are having doubts about a plot point, explore why and hold off until you are absolutely sure it's right.

E-JULIAN

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Hey RebelHeart, i agree with most what you say.
But i'm afraid we will have to deal with what they're offering us. That's all we will get. Unfortunatly. :(
We only have 2 choices: deal with it or quit. I'll stay with nuDynasty at least for a while longer.
For as long as i think that this Dynasty is still better than no Dynasty at all. ;) After that, i'll quit.

I agree with you Matthew. Maybe it's because I've been a long time reader of Marvel-DC Comics but everybody knows the Superman of 2017 (to name an example) is not the same of the 80´s or older from the 60´s or 70´s. The same can be said with all the other books.
I 'm a big fan of the original Dynasty, but I'm open to the new one because "is still better than no Dynasty at all" , new versions it's something comics do it decade after decade and we like or not the new versions of Superman that come and goes, but we keep reading it because for better or worse is OUR Superman (or X-Men, or Avengers...)

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Some Dynasty is better than no Dynasty except I don't see how the CW concoction is DYNASTY at all. It is not enough to have the same names (and sometimes not even that, Cristal). What makes this DYNASTY? The characters are not the same. The plots are not the same. The setting is not the same. The style and clothes and music are not the same. The music leitmotifs and bridges are not there. They have some homage, true, but this wore thin soon. As I am reading the Stansfield plot develop and major developments be affected by outside players, I am getting a dejavu feeling of TNT Dallas, and let's face it this at least actually had some of the same characters and actors. Maybe the show has some course correction in the future and it all comes back to the Carringtons/Colbys and Alexis, but so far from what I saw and what I read this Stansfield plot is shifting further and further away from the original recipe. In retrospect killing off Matthew was a lousy plot gimmick.

Last edited:

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The show runner Sallie Patrick said in an interview that she was conflicted killing matthew off so early but that Esther S advised to focus more on the business than the personal so she went through with killing him off.
Oh, that's interesting. Even though Esther's focus in oldDYNASTY was the personal and not the business.

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Oh, that's interesting. Even though Esther's focus in oldDYNASTY was the personal and not the business.

Yep. We have tons of threads discussing how little business was actually discussed on DYNASTY. Even in season 1, which was less personal melodrama than the others, it was hard to pinpoint what/where DC and COLBYCO were involved in--unlike Ewing Oil.