nuDynasty Episode Chat S01e09 - Rotten Things (fall Finale)

Edie70

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
You might enjoy this show if you completely lower or eliminate your expectations and stop comparing it to the old Dynasty. This is a completely different product and it must be treated that way. Then it actually frees you as a viewer.

Gabriel Maxwell

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
Sometimes I wish I had been more skeptical instead of optimistic.

Then we have that in common. I also wish I had toned down - in my case negative - feelings about a show I hadn't actually seen.

Of course people may change opinion of a show they did watch, too. I recently binge-watched all 40 episodes of TNT's DALLAS and I was thoroughly entertained by it (especially by the lovely Josh Henderson). Though I still found some dull moments (Ann's trial), I had a great time watching it.

And I find a great deal of my past strong criticism of it - where I went into these lengthy absurd analyses of Rebecca's back story or J.R.'s codicil - completely bonkers. But that had to do with my different approach to the series at the time.

a very mediocre tv show with a (sorry to say) not-so-talented cast.

Obviously I disagree here. I am thoroughly entertained by the show and I find the cast lovely. Especially Cristal and Fallon. And Sam, too. I love him here much more than on Empire. I would however appreciate the addition of a hot hunk of Maxwell Caulfield's caliber. :D

I don't buy the old argument about pure hype keeping the original in the top-20 for years. Even when the writing was lacking, I think the old series knew how to keep the viewers entertained (something they began to heavily lose in seasons 7 and 8).

Well, it's just started, many tv shows know what they're doing in the first season.

And many shows don't until someone like Alexis Carrington or Amanda Woodward comes along. I just hope Nicolette Sheridan's addition doesn't ironically have the opposite effect on the show. Because I'm quite happy with it as is.

I wouldn't say that adding more Dynasty characters is a genius master plan - if anything, they even managed to make these first episodes look a bit random. And this is supposed to be the best part.

I'm not sure I'm looking for a 'genius master plan'. I just want to eagerly anticipate each episode and every hour to fly by. And for me, so far - they've done it.

New supporting characters like Kori or Stansfield (who is great) are necessary if you're telling a different story. And what little I've seen of expanded characters like Tom Carrington or overhauled characters like Cesil Colby looks very promising and intriguing to me.

Last edited:

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
Did i already mention that i absolutly LOATHE estupido midseason breaks? NOTHING good on TV these days!! :frustration::hair::frustration:

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
You might enjoy this show if you completely lower or eliminate your expectations and stop comparing it to the old Dynasty. This is a completely different product and it must be treated that way
But I already did that, before the show began.
Then it actually frees you as a viewer
But I don't want to be freed from myself. I don't want to make an effort to like something or trick myself into liking it.
So many great tv series, so little time.
I think we all have something inside us that tells us "this is for me" or "this is not for me".
Nobody's right or wrong because we're all different and there's no definite standard.
And many shows don't until someone like Alexis Carrington or Amanda Woodward comes along
Ha, if that refers to original Dynasty's season 1 then I'd love to see more don't-know-what-they're-doings.

RottenSkipper17

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Yeah well personally I have no expectations on whether or not Nicollette Sheridan's introduction will either help or harm the show as a whole. All I care about is finding out why Alexis basically abandoned the family in the first place, (even if it's a pretty flimsy and weak one), and what exactly is the deal between her and Fallon. I hope the show delves deeply into the issues Fallon appears to have with her mom and maybe we'll also find out what made Alexis flee to England too.

Also there is one thing that bothers me about Steven's drug storyline: I don't know if the writers have this mentality that only rich people do cocaine or something along the lines of it but I thought it would be a lot more better and more relevant narrative and story wise if Steven was addicted to heroin or maybe prescription pills, especially because this country appears to have a serious problem with opiods right now and I saw a commercial for this documentary show "Intervention" where they are going to show a bunch of affluent people living in an area north of Atlanta that are seriously addicted to heroin. There are also a lot of shows on T.V. right now that have recently referenced this ongoing epidemic, including Law and Order: SVU.

Also I had another thought: in the event that Fallon and Jeff do have children of their own, I'm not sure if they are going to name them Little Blake and Lauren like they did in the original series; I think it would probably be more likely that they'll give them more modern names. I think the same would be true for Cristal and since they changed up her name for this reboot, they will probably end up doing the same for her and Blake's daughter, (if they do have a daughter), like Cristina or Christina.

James from London

International Treasure
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The whole thing about watching something with preconceptions and then watching it again without those expectations is interesting. I went to see the new Star Wars film with a friend recently and it's as if there was a four different films going on: the one he was expecting to see, the one he physically saw, the one it became when he thought about it and discussed it with other people afterwards, and the one it'll become when he watches it again.

Last edited:

AndyLaird

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Too many one dimensional characters, although Jeff and Monica have a way to go before they even manage one dimension.

Stories are quite good but they need to make the characters more interesting if we are to care about them.

The tongue-in-cheek dialogue and repetitive music reinforces the one-dimensional feel.

I will keep watching though,

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Too many one dimensional characters, although Jeff and Monica have a way to go before they even manage one dimension.

This is interesting - because what makes a character multidimensional?

I think they're currently peeling the layers. Hmmm.....

AndyLaird

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score

I think they're currently peeling the layers. Hmmm.....

Fair point, I was thinking that so far the characters, mostly, don't come off the page or seem like real people with a range of personality traits. They are more like brief descriptions in a series bible, from which they don't deviate, no matter what the situation.

E.g. Fallon is just snarky, and not much else.

Perhaps I was a bit too harsh though! I am still enjoying it. I think Sammy Jo is the strongest at the moment because the actor is really making the most of what he's been given. Fallon is good too but I would like to see more of a range from her. Culhane is also doing a good job with limited material.

At the other extreme, Jeff just looks and sounds like an actor reading lines, and ditto Monica (in fact, is it me or does she look computer-generated?). Neither of them has created a believable character, but it's still early days. They may do better as villains - it's always harder to play a good guy/girl.

xab

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
If you really need a great show with a big D , let's try The Deuce with James Franco. Great actors, strong characters, beautiful cinematography and WRITERS. This is what I call a tv show.
Humor, drama, humans.
Maggie Gyllenhaal is stunning...
You might as well go back to your cul de sac, Nicolexis... ;)

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
You might enjoy this show if you completely lower or eliminate your expectations and stop comparing it to the old Dynasty.
If I do get around to watching Dynasty 2.0 there will be no comparison (on my part). Unlike TNT Dallas which was a continuation of the Ewing saga this is a reboot so I can easily accept it for what it is. :)

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The whole thing about watching something with preconceptions and then watching it again without those expectations is interesting. I went to see the new Star Wars film with a friend recently and it's as if there was a four different films going on: the one he was expecting to see, the one he physically saw, the one it became when he thought about it and discussed it with other people afterwards, and the one it'll become when he watches it again.
James that is a unique view, which I appreciate. Recently I discovered the movie "Baywatch" in the bargain bin. My nephew just happened to be with me at the time and asked if I was seriously going to purchase it as the movie was crap; and he is a huge fan of "The Rock." Without any preconceptions I laughed out loud when viewing it for the first time. It's probably why I seriously should re-visit TNT Dallas. I watched the series in its first airing and haven't bothered since only because of my absolute disdain for how it was treated.

My only concern in viewing Dynasty 2.0 is not comparing it to the original as I can easily distance myself from that. My concern is the new producers/writers expectations of my viewing, that is; what are they truly showcasing here? If this new series is seriously about the 1% of the 1% filthy rich why is the general vibe stemming from soapchat posters that the dialogue is too reminiscent of Gossip Girl? Most of the criticism appears to be aimed at the writing for Fallon. Why are the writers giving the character bitchy sentences rather than showcase her struggle with Blake in making it in business? I like to be entertained but I also want a series that is a little bit grounded in reality otherwise I may as well watch one of those pseudo reality "The Housewives of whatever" series....which I seriously wouldn't.

Just a thought.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
because what makes a character multidimensional?
Characters with a soul would be a good start. If I feel no connection with character/s then I simply switch off. Perhaps the issue stems from the way Dynasty 2.0 was launched and could also explain why most series struggle, desperately trying to find their feet amongst the thousands of TV Series out there. Too late, the powers that be have decided the numbers are just not there so pull the plug. That's show business.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
there will be no comparison
I can easily accept it for what it is
I also accept it for what it is and I accept that I don't like it.
I suppose the actor, like a writer or painter or any other artist, has to make the character "come to life", as it were.
That moment when you forget you're watching the actors.
None of the New Dynasty characters have something personal or characteristic, it still feels like a bunch of actors "doing Dynasty".
There's no room for any kind of emotional investment whatsoever, and it's something I need in soap because of its format. TNT Dallas offered it in spades.
Footballer's Wives was over-the-top fun trash but still I was always "worried" what would happen to those characters.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
There's no room for any kind of emotional investment whatsoever, and it's something I need in soap because of its format.
Especially so. If the powers that be (I'm assuming they do) wish a new series to be successful - after all that's why their in this business - then every resource should be permitted to guarantee that success. But those behind the scenes are partially to blame. I also like to give a swift kick up the behinds of those 2 minute attention span viewers. Life is flying by as it is. When the opportunity allows to be entertained that's when I like things to slow down. Give myself over to something which dissolves the day to day hassles of life.

When I go back and watch from the beginning Lorimar Dallas and Dynasty those actors playing their parts leapt off the screen, they knew their craft.

Ked

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes! I've been saying this for a few weeks now - Vanessa Williams would be AMAZING as Dominique Deveraux! She'd be the best choice. This seriously needs to happen. New Dominique going head to head with new Alexis, whoa. Imagine the level of juiciness and bitchiness of those scenes.

Nicolette Sheridan, formerly Edie Britt on "Desperate Housewives", going up against Vanessa Williams, formerly Renee Perry on "Desperate Housewives" who was created to replace Edie after she died. I'm sold. :lol:

Maryann

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
This week decided to catch up with missed episodes out of curiosity (even though don't like this version) but to my shock my cable network has stopped showing the NuDynasty, they have replaced it with Season 9 of the original Dynasty. It seems that maybe viewers are not interested and the network decided to take it off.

Last edited: