• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

S04E08 Your Sick And Self-Serving Vendetta

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
COLLATERAL DAMAGE - As Fallon (Elizabeth Gillies) continues to work on expanding Fallon Unlimited, she crosses paths with an old college friend, who is more than what he seems. Sam (Rafael de la Fuente) throws himself into his work to occupy his time. Culhane (Robert C. Riley) and Jeff (Sam Adegoke) support each other until they realize they both want the same thing. Dominique (Michael Michele) and Blake (Grant Show) secretly scheme together. Fallon and Liam (Adam Huber) work together with surprising results. Also starring Elaine Hendrix, Daniella Alonso, Sam Underwood, Alan Dale, and Maddison Brown. The episode was written by Libby Wells and directed by Melanie Mayron (#408). Original airdate 6/25/2021.

Read more: Listings - DYNASTY on The CW | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listings/20210608cw12/#ixzz6yp3WTRUL

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Fallon can't get the permits to build on the land in Scotland, but she sees one of the people "rock-blocking" her is an "old friend" from college, Colin. He resents the fact that she got him expelled from Wharton (so she could be valedictorian!) and wants that land for himself, so he is determined to stop her from building on the land. She initiates a campaign of the usual dirty tricks on him to annoy him, and he responds in kind, annoying her right back. Some might call this foreplay if they weren't both already married to others.

Sam's old flame Fletcher is part of the group negotiating to bring some events to the hotel. Awk---ward. Sam insists to Fletcher that he's fine and has moved on. Fletcher tells him he's just finalized his divorce and he wants Sam back. Sam refers to the situation as his "Bermuda Love Triangle" to Kirby.

Blake and Dom's plan is explained: they intend to keep Alexis pouring money into the useless diamond mine. After she uses up all her money, Blake will swoop in to buy the manor back....and share some of the estate with Dominique, apparently. I like him when he appears to be playing nice with Dom, but I know under it all he's just manipulating her to get what he wants. There appears to be a mine dug on the estate already--new set and everything! It appears Alexis is digging more than one hole for herself.

Cristal takes a pregnancy test and finds out she's
NOT pregnant
Now that's a way to address the elephant in the room (oops, poor choice of words).

Jeff's trying to make amends to Mia when Culhane arrives. Awk---ward. But I don't think Jeff immediately recognized why Culhane is visiting Mia at her office. We learn that the reason Culhane has gotten so involved in Mia's charity is because Culhane Sr. was one of the kids helped by the charity decades ago, and he continued to help the charity until he died.

Blake advises Fallon to stop making this thing with Colin into a war, since Colin's father is some kind of media mogul. Well, as we well know, she is NOT the type to give in---even as she appears to be when she offers to sell the Scottish land to Colin. She enlists Liam's help in researching some of Colin's "associates" to see what other shady dealings he might be involved in. Fallon and Liam end up in a drive-in theater, where Colin is meeting his assistant for some nookie. Liam takes photos.

The manor is in serious disarray: Adam points out the artwork being all crooked on the walls, and a door refuses to open. It's almost as if digging large amounts of soil out from under a huge manor house might cause instabilities. Oh, and Dominique running around (in her high-heeled boots) using a sledge hammer on the brickwork probably doesn't help. Before long Alexis is convinced that shoring up the foundation of the manor is too expensive and too inconvenient. She offers to sell the manor back to Blake, believing she's off-loading an unstable property on the verge of collapse. *

Sam wakes up to messages from Ryan on his phone...and Fletcher next to him in bed.

Fallon, surprisingly, does NOT use the blackmail photos. Instead, she informs Colin that she plans to have the property designated a historic landmark, which would allow her to build the HQ on the property as long as she finances the rebuilding of the castle ruins on the property. Her decision not to keep playing dirty is yet another sign that she is maturing and trying to be a better person.

Just as Adam is told he will be the new Chief of Staff at the hospital, an upset Cristal finds him and confides to him that she thought she was pregnant, but in fact she has a brain tumor.

Blake delights in telling Alexis she's been had, but manages not to make a comment about her being dressed like Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction. Dominique asks for the loft as her "payment for services rendered" and Blake agrees. A furious Alexis catches up to Dom in the mine and they duke it out....until the ceiling caves in over the exit. Awk--ward.

* Yes, this talk of an unstable/sinking manor house on the verge of collapse feels a bit "ripped from the headlines" given the chatter about the condo building that just collapsed in Miami, but of course this stuff was filmed many months ago...so how would they have known?

Grant Jennings

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
* Yes, this talk of an unstable/sinking manor house on the verge of collapse feels a bit "ripped from the headlines" given the chatter about the condo building that just collapsed in Miami, but of course this stuff was filmed many months ago...so how would they have known?
This reminded me of when a Melrose Place cliffhanger was edited because of the Oklahoma City bombing. The producers of both shows had no way of anticipating upcoming real world tragedies. There is a strange synchronicity to the world: I've recently been binging a Youtube creator (Fascinating Horror) who posts videos about tragedies such as fires and airplane crashes; last week he posted a video about a building collapse.

This episode was directed by Melanie Mayron, she played Melissa on thirtysomething.

Last edited:

Brian Kinney

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Alexis and Dominique in a mine.
My first thought too. Because RuPaul and Bowen Yang played Alexis and Dominique. And I'm really wondering is this the reason why we had to endure the whole diamond mine story? There is no other direction they could have gone - it's just a location for a catfight! It can't be a coincidence (other than the unstable building).

Somehow Sam's romance dilemma(s) make sense to me. The relationship with Ryan is in trouble because the difference in their financial situations. Fletcher trying to sneak back into his ex's life is also not too uncommon. Both stories are more gay-adult relatable to me than what they did with Sam before (Instahoe). I like these past two episodes.

Do we all wonder if "collateral damage" (Fallon) Tracy shows up?

Last edited:

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Just as I guessed - Daniela was absent last week because she was giving birth.

The mine set reminded me of the cave set in season 9 on Dynasty. It was hilariously fake looking, which is a shame because mostly Dynasty has nice sets but I guess building a realistic fake mine is harder than it looks.

I'll be honest, I don't care much for the Fletcher / Sam / Ryan and Jeff / Mia / Culhane triangles - both scream filler material to me.

Blake getting back the mansion feels a bit... too easy? Then again, it kind of was on the OG show too.

I knew Cristal was going to get a brain tumour. I hope we get some thrown plates.

I liked that they finally didn't go for a music montage for the Dominique / Alexis fight - and of course they're now trapped in the mine, so I guess that's why they bothered to build a set - another call back to Dynasty season 9 I guess.

Grant Jennings

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Somehow Sam's romance dilemma(s) make sense to me. The relationship with Ryan is in trouble because the difference in their financial situations. Fletcher trying to sneak back into his ex's life is also not too uncommon. Both stories are more gay-adult relatable to me than what they did with Sam before (Instahoe). I like these past two episodes.
I agree, this is a plot that actually resembled real life. Ryan isn't going to have a lot of free time now that he's in law school.

I wonder if Cristal is going to be in a coma in a Swiss clinic while Daniella Alonso is on maternity leave. I don't think that Cristal is the person in the coffin - too obvious.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I wonder if Cristal is going to be in a coma in a Swiss clinic while Daniella Alonso is on maternity leave. I don't think that Cristal is the person in the coffin - too obvious.
I believe she said that she didn't need the leave and will be appearing throughout the season - I'm guessing we're going to be thinking it's Cristal in the coffin. Obviously she's given birth at this point (they even made sure to include a shot of her mid-section!). I think they're going to use the brain tumour as an excuse to have her act out of character.

Grant Jennings

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think they're going to use the brain tumour as an excuse to have her act out of character.
Maybe Crazy Cristal kills someone (the person in the coffin) but is found to be mentally incapacitated. She later has the tumor removed - by Dr. Adam. I think Adam is getting a rehabilitation story arc.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Maybe Crazy Cristal kills someone (the person in the coffin) but is found to be mentally incapacitated. She later has the tumor removed - by Dr. Adam. I think Adam is getting a rehabilitation story arc.
In a way I hope not because I get the feeling we'd get a ridiculous trial a la Ann's on nuDALLAS.

One thing that could happen I guess is that she'd blab what happened to Mac and get caught on tape. Remember, the DA can still prosecute Blake as the trial ended up in a tie...

Last edited:

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
This reminded me of when a Melrose Place cliffhanger was edited because of the Oklahoma City bombing.
There was also a plot on All My Children where crazy Janet Green planted a bomb in a Church but the producers quickly rewrote and re-shot the plotline before it aired.
It also occurred to me that while Ryan and Sam were spending so much time together, there was little more than a brief hug between them onscreen in all these episodes. Granted, we did not see how they behaved in their drunken 'wedding night', but I would guess they did not do wedding night stuff or we would have heard about it. Yet Sam's dropping trou for Fletcher within one episode, despite the way Fletcher revealed himself to be the kind of guy who would cheat on his husband. It's common knowledge that the man who will cheat with you, will cheat on you.
The mine set reminded me of the cave set in season 9 on Dynasty. It was hilariously fake looking, which is a shame because mostly Dynasty has nice sets but I guess building a realistic fake mine is harder than it looks.
It really was dreadful, wasn't it? It looked straight out of Days of Our Lives (no offense, Days fans). I thought, when we first saw it briefly, that they'd tossed it together so poorly because it would only be seen for fifteen seconds and never used again....but now we will have to see it next week, as well. If it had not been the middle of the Covid shutdown, they could have gone on location to a local quarry or even a rough basement of a stone house for some authenticity. Maybe there would have been some sort of tourist/film-crew-friendly place in Dahlonega. But I guess they needed the controlled setting of a studio to stage the cave-in of the exit.
Obviously she's given birth at this point (they even made sure to include a shot of her mid-section!). I think they're going to use the brain tumour as an excuse to have her act out of character.
They've been employing a body-double for her in some scenes, and I assumed the shot of her mid-section was the double...but who knows? She could have easily shot scenes ahead of time to be dropped into episodes, then returned to film more scenes out of order to be edited into the already-completed episodes so her maternity leave would not mean not seeing her at all. She was only in three scenes total for this episode, yet she felt just as "present" as the others.

As for her acting out of character, I hope they won't go too slap-sticky, because we all recall how disturbing it was to see C3 trying to sing in Fallon's musical-hallucination episode. The only reason OG Krystle's plate tossing was so memorable was because half of us found it funny, but the other half felt empathy for her as we saw the brain tumor taking its toll on her and "taking her away from Blake".

But I guess we ought to be thankful they aren't using KL's Laura Avery as their template, where Cristal would announce "Oh, I have a terminal brain tumor. Peace-out, bitches," and hop in the car to drive away forever.

Grant Jennings

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It also occurred to me that while Ryan and Sam were spending so much time together, there was little more than a brief hug between them onscreen in all these episodes. Granted, we did not see how they behaved in their drunken 'wedding night', but I would guess they did not do wedding night stuff or we would have heard about it. Yet Sam's dropping trou for Fletcher within one episode, despite the way Fletcher revealed himself to be the kind of guy who would cheat on his husband. It's common knowledge that the man who will cheat with you, will cheat on you.
The real elephant in the room: one of my issues with Sam and Ryan (the other being that I find Ryan to be as bland as Wonder Bread) is that I think they're both bottoms. That's a real life issue but I don't think the show is going to tackle it. Sam has more chemistry with Fletcher and Deputy Commissioner Dawkins because they're tops. I can't be alone in this opinion, am I?
740full-coby-ryan-mclaughlin 2.jpg

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
They've been employing a body-double for her in some scenes, and I assumed the shot of her mid-section was the double...but who knows? She could have easily shot scenes ahead of time to be dropped into episodes, then returned to film more scenes out of order to be edited into the already-completed episodes so her maternity leave would not mean not seeing her at all. She was only in three scenes total for this episode, yet she felt just as "present" as the others.
It wasn't a body-double - they actually showed her in full briefly a few times so she'd given birth at this point:
daniella.png

Just after this there's a shot of her mid-section holding the pregnancy test, it then pans up to her face and then pans down again as her phone pings. It's like they shot these things to specifically focus on the fact Daniela isn't pregnant anymore :lol:

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
Another nice episode. I wonder for how much longer this positive row will go on, until pure slapstick will take over again.
It was obvious as soon as Dom showed up in that "mine" that there had to be a catfight.
Although quite obvious, i didn't expect them to be trapped in that cave, because the ceiling comes down.
Another obvious thing is Cristals brain tumor diagnosis after her breakdown last episode, but again i didn't see that coming either.
So, quite decent writing again, I guess. :lol:
So many nice nods to the OG show.

A shame that Monica came back for just one episode, i wish she was there longer, as i really like the actress.

Last edited:

Grant Jennings

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I feel like this isn't one but two shows:
The Liz Gillies Show: Tune in each week to see what zany antics Liz, as Fallon Carrington, is up to with her long-suffering husband, Liam, and screwball sidekick, Sam. Anders the butler is sure to disapprove as is Fallon's friend, Monica, who provides plenty of side-eye. Did we mention there will be music? Liz and crew (mainly Liz) will be belting out many of your 80s Pop favorites!

Dynasty: Don't miss a single episode of the saga of Atlanta's wealthiest and most powerful family, the Carringtons. Patriarch Blake Carrington fights to maintain control of a family dynasty built from blood, sweat and oil. Blake must fend off his vindictive ex-wife Alexis and bitter half-sister Dominique. Will Blake manage to win the heart of his true love, Cristal, while defending his birthright? Tune in every Friday night to find out on Dynasty!

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I feel like this isn't one but two shows:
The Liz Gillies Show: Tune in each week to see what zany antics Liz, as Fallon Carrington, is up to with her long-suffering husband, Liam, and screwball sidekick, Sam. Anders the butler is sure to disapprove as is Fallon's friend, Monica, who provides plenty of side-eye. Did we mention there will be music? Liz and crew (mainly Liz) will be belting out many of your 80s Pop favorites!

Dynasty: Don't miss a single episode of the saga of Atlanta's wealthiest and most powerful family, the Carringtons. Patriarch Blake Carrington fights to maintain control of a family dynasty built from blood, sweat and oil. Blake must fend off his vindictive ex-wife Alexis and bitter half-sister Dominique. Will Blake manage to win the heart of his true love, Cristal, while defending his birthright? Tune in every Friday night to find out on Dynasty!
I agree and that's why I find the one episodic plots of Fallon / Liam so infuriating - there's no reason why last weeks plot with Liam's best friend couldn't have lasted maybe three episodes and why this episode's plot of a former "frenemy" from school trying to mess with her couldn't be built on more; hell they could've even tied them in with Nash secretly working for Colin to screw things up for Fallon. It's like they have in Liz's contract that her plots can't be longer than one episode and that she has to sing every third.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes, it seems as if the producers are actively trying to mix episodic with serial plotting, which might help them in filming and financing (actors are hired for single episodes) but it makes the viewer not as willing to invest emotions (love or hate) in new characters who are introduced. With different writers for every episode, I guess that encourages them to write self-contained episodes, since the characters they create for "their" episode might have no bearing on future episodes from other writers and need to be gotten rid of. It gives the impression that no one really sticks around except the principals, and most of these characters can't even be categorized as "recurring" since they are often one-and-done (two if they're lucky). They don't have the flexibility we see in most soaps where they will revise or rewrite if they see a new character 'taking off' in popularity to keep them around longer to see what happens.

Oh, and @Grant Jennings...you're not the only one who thought of that, but I was reluctant to bring it up since there hasn't been enough onscreen "activity" for me to make a final determination on Sam. When I am unsure, I default to versatile, because I have made some horrendous assumptions about others in my own life.

they actually showed her in full briefly a few times so she'd given birth at this point:
Ooh, I stand corrected! I must have been looking down at the keyboard when that shot was onscreen. All I recall is the shot of her holding the pregnancy test strip at mid-level, then a cut to her holding it up to examine it, which could have been two people easily.

Brian Kinney

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Most gays are versatile. At least according to polls. Doesn't surprise me because I've rarely experienced "bottom, top or nothing" situations.

Sam and Ryan are okay as a couple. But Ryan misses some background story that made Liam interesting when he was introduced. And that happened to Fletcher before too because we didn't know his husband when Sam and Fletcher dated. Being a stripper or married isn't a character building story.

Last edited:

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Where I feel they "missed the boat" with the Ryan character was how they wrote him after the return from shutdown. A guy who makes his living as a stripper/dancer would be a little more...expressive? I imagine such a career choice to be the source of a million funny stories, and the sort of job that one would only go into if they had more of an ego (or at least a high opinion of themselves). I would expect him to dress more like Sam does, at least, and be more the 'life of the party'.

If they had written this in reverse order---that is, Sam meets Ryan, they date and then Ryan drops this big secret on Sam that he's a stripper---it would have been a shock, since S4 Ryan doesn't act like someone who is AKA Scorpio the Stripper Who Marries a Drunken Stranger on a Whim. Is it as much of a shock that "Scorpio" is actually a quiet, earnest guy with plans for law school? Or just a disappointment?

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Where I feel they "missed the boat" with the Ryan character was how they wrote him after the return from shutdown. A guy who makes his living as a stripper/dancer would be a little more...expressive? I imagine such a career choice to be the source of a million funny stories, and the sort of job that one would only go into if they had more of an ego (or at least a high opinion of themselves). I would expect him to dress more like Sam does, at least, and be more the 'life of the party'.

If they had written this in reverse order---that is, Sam meets Ryan, they date and then Ryan drops this big secret on Sam that he's a stripper---it would have been a shock, since S4 Ryan doesn't act like someone who is AKA Scorpio the Stripper Who Marries a Drunken Stranger on a Whim. Is it as much of a shock that "Scorpio" is actually a quiet, earnest guy with plans for law school? Or just a disappointment?
I thought Ryan was going to turn out to be a gold-digger playing Sam - I guess he still could be revealed as that, but as of right now he's just... a bland gay guy. There's no real heat between him and Sam. Sure he's cute... but that's about it.