Votes: 14 58.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
somehow I think it's part of the problem that they don't have one, regular director and a small staff of script writers.
I agree. I have this scenario in my head The CW has a long hallway and in each room is a group of writers.

Hallway.jpg

A Director is chosen each week and is asked to walk down the long corridor and randomly knock on a door and accept the script. Brilliant! We'll film that this week.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Original Dynasty wasn't exactly Shakespearean
It was never meant to be (that's not a criticism directed at you) but the difference between original Dynasty and Peach Dynasty is the former was played straight - no matter how ridiculous the script was and delivered by professionals in their craft. Peach Dynasty is delivering with a knowingly nudge mudge, wink wink attitude which insults both the viewer and the poor sods (actors) that have to deliver it. I really feel sorry for Alan Dale. I'm surprised he hasn't requested an exit.

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Original Dynasty wasn't exactly Shakespearean,

I know this is a common saying, "not exactly Shakespearean," but since we are talking about it, Shakespearean plots are often ridiculous or plagiarized from other sources. What makes his plays stand out is the psychology of the characters (and the dialogue). Now original Dynasty was not some great repertoire of human psychology (but season 1 was top notch) yet here is a scene from season 3 where even though Alexis is obviously exhibiting a narcissistic attitude similar to that they have Fallon portray in the CW mess, the interaction with Krystle and Collins' reactions give the scene nuances that Gillieathon cannot even dream of.

Last edited:

Ferdnand Colby

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
It was never meant to be (that's not a criticism directed at you) but the difference between original Dynasty and Peach Dynasty is the former was played straight - no matter how ridiculous the script was and delivered by professionals in their craft. Peach Dynasty is delivering with a knowingly nudge mudge, wink wink attitude which insults both the viewer and the poor sods (actors) that have to deliver it. I really feel sorry for Alan Dale. I'm surprised he hasn't requested an exit.

Totally agree!

That's exactly my point, as you just said, the 80s Dynasty was played straight by professionals, and when comparing both of them, it becomes really notorious. I think that was the reason why the former became a guilty pleasure.

I think Alan Dale is now going through same situation Joan Collins was when she was part of Pacific Palisades, in early 90s. Working just because, trying to give their best.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
the interaction with Krystle and Collins' reactions give the scene nuances that Gillieathon cannot even dream of.
And something else I've just noted. This kitchen scene between Alexis and Krystle is allowed to play out without that GOD awful doof doof music constantly playing in the background; as in Peach Dynasty. Original Dynasty allowed the conversation to be the showcase.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Great episode, loved all the backstabbing and outfoxing stuff.
I can understand why they went for the Fallon look-alike, it's a classic soap trope and they wanted the reveal to be spectacular and OTT. Sometimes it's the good stuff and sometimes the bad, but this is what NuDynasty does.

upload_2019-4-21_3-59-9.png

Amy Sutherland would have been a very acceptable NS replacement (although I haven't seen her act in anything) but it wouldn't be spectacular, just nice.
In a perfect world it would have been Pamela Sue Martin, but (and I hate to say it) she wouldn't fit in with the younger female cast. Alexis shouldn't look like she could be Cristal's mother.
I have no idea where this is going and that's a good thing. Also, there won't be "two Fallons" since LG is going to play her as "Alexis". And like another forum member said, there's something pleasantly creepy about her transformation.
Liz Gillies' guest star credit is a super funny detail, it reminds me of Let The Blood Run Free.

Roll on next Saturday!

Btw, shades of Falcon Crest: Anders & Sammy Jo playing Chao-Li & Lance.

"Not a waft of wind will get by that gate without me knowing about it"

Last edited:

Ferdnand Colby

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
I know this is a common saying, "not exactly Shakespearean," but since we are talking about it, Shakespearean plots are often ridiculous or plagiarized from other sources. What makes his plays stand out is the psychology of the characters (and the dialogue). Now original Dynasty was not some great repertoire of human psychology (but season 1 was top notch) yet here is a scene from season 3 where even though Alexis is obviously exhibiting a narcissistic attitude similar to that they have Fallon portray in the CW mess, the interaction with Krystle and Collins' reactions give the scene nuances that Gillieathon cannot even dream of.

True.

Now that I think about it, the music, the way Joan Collins & Linda Evans deliver their lines, body language, interactions and acting presence is actually closer to a play, which is actually Shakespeare territories. What I meant was that, in my opinion, OD was probably not a reference acting schools use (though actually I'm not sure), but was way better than Peach D.

Btw, that scene is great. JC has this sexy thing, like playing with the camera. And LE is like a Lion (not talking about hair, lol), in defense of her territory. They go beyond lines.

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
I must say i really liked this episode. All the storylines were followed decently, there was no cringy stuff going on at all. Many nicely done scenes. I was really excited when i realized they would let Adam do the poison paint thing! :spinning:
Of course the end reveal was completly over the top, but it made me crack up, so I give them that. We don't know ANYTHING about how LG is going to play Alexis yet, so why judging in advance? I'd say: give her a chance! It could be great fun! If it's going to be bad, we can still rant.
I'm all in for the idea now and i think i can enjoy it, if she does it well. :)

Last edited:

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
All the storylines were followed decently, there was no cringy stuff going on at all. Many nicely done scenes.
This was my overall feeling of watching this ep. Despite characters appearing in their respective scenes the whole episode flowed. One thing I particularly enjoyed was Fallon not coming down on Kirby when she became aware of the relationship...this showed both promise and growth for Fallon rather than the usual witty put downs.

I was a little surprised at the ending. Did anyone else get the sense this was edited in at the last moment? I have a feeling this would have been best left until next week's masquerade ball.

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
I'm not sure about that. But if WE know it in advance, we can completly concentrate on the reactions of the other characters, i think that was their intention of letting us in before. ;)
Can't wait to see Fallons face when she finds out! :D

Last edited:

Grant Jennings

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Well... the Alexis reveal was so over-the-top that we all forgot, or at least not talk, about another stupid plot... even in the 80s... lead paint poisoning? Seriously?

I don't know what Adam #2 used but Adam #1 used mercuric oxide, not lead. It has been used as a paint additive for portions of marine craft which will be submerged under water. Paint fumes as the cause of temporary insanity was successfully used in a criminal case which inspired the writers of the original. Roger Grimes body being well-preserved doing to being in an icy lake was also inspired by real life events.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
But if WE know it in advance, we can completly concentrate on the reactions of the other characters, i think that was their intention of letting us in before.
I have a different view. How cool would it have been if they allowed Alexis to mingle amongst the guests wearing her mask and yet the viewers were left to guess. I picture (it could still happen) Adam meanders up to Fallon and asks, "Have you spoken with mother?" Fallon responds, "That reminds me I should visit her."

And Adam replies. "Why? She is here." Adam slithers away.

Grant Jennings

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I really enjoyed this episode, so much to like... and then that happened.

Fallon was showing signs of maturity; learning to treat Gloria the way Gloria wanted to be treated - not the way Fallon wants to be treated - is a valuable life lesson I learned years ago. Kirby and Michael's relationship is progressing normally and realistically. The complication of Michael being Fallon's ex is something that happens quite often in real life and I really like the way they handled it - again, more maturity from Fallon.

Blake was a ruthless bastard - as he should be. Underhanded dealings in professional sports? I'm shocked, shocked! Another plot-point grounded in reality. Hallucinogenic paint? Why not, when there are enough other realistic things happening, it's easier to accept the fantastic plots (plus, as I previously posted, the original poison paint story was based on real life).

Alexis certainly made a rapid recovery, I don't remember any "six months later" captions. I hope the "guest star" credit is an indication that this is only a temporary situation and we will get one of the following: a) a proper recast (after some the plastic surgeon makes some "refinements") or b) Alexis "expires" along with her new husband and her embittered sister, Caress arrives in Atlanta to raise Hell.

Last edited:

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I guess we'll see what happens with Alexis-as-Fallon - I did think it was odd that she was blowing an air kiss towards Adam; wasn't she afraid of him two episodes ago?

Though, I assume there's a lot of fireplaces in the mansion where Alexis could get her face shoved into again.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I did ponder about this. It appeared to be a strange reaction from Alexis. But then this reincarnation of Alexis is completely bananas so have surrendered myself to the writers.

I mean, they have to know that realistically they can't keep Elizabeth Gillies playing double parts for eternity, so I assume there might be a bit more to this than what's on screen. Is Adam delusional, especially with handling toxic chemicals? Is Alexis playing Adam and she actually has on a mask, which might explain the weird appearance of her new face beyond producers wanting to make it look like surgery? Has there been a switcheroo and Alexis isn't Alexis at all, but an imposter and the real Alexis is stashed away (and we'll be treated to a "shocking" scene of Adam and "Alexis" smooching a la Alexis and Hank smooching in season 1)?

I'm in it for the ride to see where they take this at least.

Ked

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I guess we'll see what happens with Alexis-as-Fallon - I did think it was odd that she was blowing an air kiss towards Adam; wasn't she afraid of him two episodes ago?

Though, I assume there's a lot of fireplaces in the mansion where Alexis could get her face shoved into again.

Maybe she plans on lulling him into a false sense of security before shoving HIS face into a fireplace!

Milescolby

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
I mean, they have to know that realistically they can't keep Elizabeth Gillies playing double parts for eternity, so I assume there might be a bit more to this than what's on screen. Is Adam delusional, especially with handling toxic chemicals? Is Alexis playing Adam and she actually has on a mask, which might explain the weird appearance of her new face beyond producers wanting to make it look like surgery? Has there been a switcheroo and Alexis isn't Alexis at all, but an imposter and the real Alexis is stashed away (and we'll be treated to a "shocking" scene of Adam and "Alexis" smooching a la Alexis and Hank smooching in season 1)?

I'm in it for the ride to see where they take this at least.

Could you please join their writing team? :clap: