nuDynasty Episode Chat S3E09: The Caviar, I Trust, Is Not Burned

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Episode description: "Blake's trial continues as Alexis shocks the jury with her testimony; Fallon returns to the courthouse to find her mother has returned."

At last....! :pray:

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Elaine Hendrix interview and a clip of next episode

I love that woman.
I also love that she says that her character moments are very OG in her storyline.

Last edited:

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)

I wonder what Nickie will think of her...​

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I checked out if Nickie had twitted some kind of "good luck b¡tch" message about Elaine´s appearance but she´s mum about it.

Lol. Of course she won't say a word. She unfollowed every Dynasty cast members (but Ana Brenda Contreras) so I'm quite sure Nicollette will stay on her "ignore Dynasty" mode :D

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's funny how the original series had such artless, oft-repeated episodic titles, and yet created enough witty lines for the new show to use for their episodic titles.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
So many revelations in the first five minutes!

Liam didn't fall out of the barn window, but Adam did; he has a few broken ribs. Liam tells Fallon the whole story of Adam hitting him with the flower pot, and Fallon jabs Adam in the broken ribs before heading back to the courthouse. At court, she hears about her mother, her new stepfather, and the new direction of the court case against Blake.

Alexis lays it on thick to the judge/jury, saying she was having a skin treatment and a long bath when she happened to look out the window. She saw Blake strangle Mack in front of her loft--a story made up from whole-cloth. Dominique (and later Fallon) asks Jeff if he's being blackmailed or something. When Dom claims Alexis is just using him, Jeff says the only user around there is his mother. C3 calls Alexis a gold-digger, and Alexis cracks about the pot calling the kettle black.

Third billing for Elaine in the opening titles, behind only LG and DA and right before RdlF.

Alexis suggests she and Adam call a truce, but he says that she's now a Colby and thus in the enemy camp. She is NOT scared of him in the slightest this go-round. In fact, she has a very different attitude toward practically everyone and herself.

Fallon goes to the 'enemy camp' in an effort to see if she can find some kind of info to help Blake against Alexis, and after J&A start making out, Fallon leaves the room "to go throw up"--but instead rifles through some of Alexis's stuff and takes some pictures of papers. Alexis reminds Fallon that they were "in a good place" when Alexis left town and she hopes they can pick up where they left off. EH plays it like Alexis might actually be sincere!

Elsewhere, Anders and Blake discuss a plan to target one of the jurors; Culhane is already moping and complaining to Sam about Vanessa being in New York. Adam tries to divert attention from his pyromania at the vineyard by telling him about the Nadia sting....which doesn't even register with angry Blake. He tells Adam to leave his office.

Battle lines are drawn between Dom and Alexis, who has on an extraordinary black and white outfit. I can't really explain how they paid homage to the 'burned champagne' scene, but it has to be seen to be...enjoyed.

C3 does a bit of a shell game with the "targeted juror" referred to earlier, involving bathroom-stall threats and red shoes. She gets the juror tossed out and an alternate juror bumped up to regular jury status. The gray flats were nicer looking anyway.

Fallon tracks down (via those papers she photographed) the woman who supposedly was administering Alexis's "beauty treatment" the night Alexis supposedly saw Blake kill Mack. Bottom line: anyone taking the skin treatment is not supposed to bathe for hours afterward, so Fallon has proof Alexis was lying. In court, Alexis has another black and white outfit with a big hat, and Blake's attorney (with Fallon's unique brand of help) shreds her story on the stand. After a time, we find there's a hung jury, and the judge declares a mistrial. The attorney is pretty sure the DA won't try to re-try the case since there are no "real" witnesses.

Outside court, Fallon tells Alexis she believes Blake when he says he did not kill Mack. Alexis tells her she's being naive. Then she "accidentally" pushes Dominique down the courthouse steps. I'm still kind of puzzled by the very fake-looking matte painting of the Atlanta skyline in the background--was that a wall mural or a really bad attempt at making the place look like downtown ATL?

Adam thinks that buying the vineyard next to (still-smoldering) BlueBell will smooth things over with daddy, but it only makes things worse--Blake tells him to move out. Is that Fallon I saw doing cartwheels down Peachtree Street? Oh, look at that: Adam simply moved into Alexis's now-vacant loft. Ease off, Fallon.

Fallon tricks C3 into admitting that Blake really did kill Mack, saying she (Fallon) always suspected Blake was guilty...and now, both of them have to live with the fact that they helped him get away with murder.

Darn good episode indeed. EH (and thus Alexis) hit the ground running.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
To put it in phrase you'd understand - it's like I was shoving Blake's face into a fire to teach him a lesson :lol

Another great episode. Interesting they're still mentioning Vanessa. I guess she'll be back?

Pet peeve of mine - why doesn't anyone try to close the door or something when doing snooping/secret calls? I was expecting Alexis to walk in on Fallon snooping, though I'm glad they're not using such a cheap soap opera trick.

Oof, it's nice to see that they've not forgotten about Jeff's paranoia which is a part of his illness iirc. I mean, I don't blame the guy for being paranoid, but...

The Cristal / Juror scene was very Serial Mom. I expected "ms Winters" to do a full Dottie Hinkle.

Ooof2, that Super Mario mustache that Adam was sporting. Could they have found a faker looking one?

I don't really care about the Sammy Jo / Fletcher guy storyline, but I hope this means Steven will be back.

Well, Blake is lucky he's not near a fireplace right now...

Nice Adam / Anders bonding scene.

Oops, Cristal was fooled into confessing about Mac's murder to Fallon.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm still kind of puzzled by the very fake-looking matte painting of the Atlanta skyline in the background--was that a wall mural or a really bad attempt at making the place look like downtown ATL?

I might be wrong, but it looked like they needed to reshoot some shots with Alexis / Fallon at the courtroom steps and tried to solve it by using green screen, hence why it looked very fake. It stood out (in a bad way) because mostly they've shot this show nicely, especially for a show on a budget.

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
An other great episode. The return of Alexis was necessary and Elaine Hendrix delivered a great one. She seems way more confident (well she's rich now so...) and she plays the role more straightforward. The fact is she has better lines than season 2 NS Alexis too. So that helps I guess. As for Cristal's face change in season's premiere, they obviously didn't bring the fact that she didn't have the same voice. That was the only way to go. But that makes "Fallexis" even more irrelevant : After she was burnt, they could simply have Alexis under bandages, and send her in europe to see the best plastic surgeons. It was implied that she could have vocal cords damage due to the smoke from the fireplace. This would explain the voice change. Or simply keep her under bandages for more episodes, having her plastic surgery in Atlanta, and make her disappear from the hospital before we see her new face. She could have left a letter explaining she was not happy with the reconstruction, and that Jeff, who was always concerned and always wanted to help her, sent her in europe for revision surgery. This way she could come back with her new voice and face in season 3. This would explain also that Jeff always knew where Alexis was, and could even ravel to visit her in Europe, to prepare their revenge plan. Was the Fallexis plot necessary?? What did it bring to the story? Ok, Liz did an amazing job. But it hurt the show more than it help imo. And having Liz impersonating Nicolette's voice didn't help Elaine Hendrix's take over. Again, it would have been better and easier to buy this new Alexis with the "vocal cord damages" they implied just after she was burnt.

Anyway, at least we can still joke about it, even in the show itself
"It was two faces ago"
Alexis, watching and old photo of her with Fallon
(Too bad they didn't actually show a photo of Liz and Nicollette together.)

There is a real chemistry between Elaine & Liz (for obvious reasons : they're friendly IRL, and played together for 2 seasons of an other show) and the fact that they look alike a bit really helps too. Indeed, very good casting choice. When Dom felt down, Alexis' face was so Fallon's lol. She almost rolled her eyes...

The lines, the dialogues, the plot were great. I just don't buy the fact that Alexis wants to get along with Adam so fast. In OG Dynasty, Alexis found out that Adam was a distress teen, drugged addicted, so she was willing to forgive him. But here, there is no reason why Alexis would excuse Adam so easily. Especially after what he has done. I mean, he put his mother's face in a fucking fireplace. How can you forgive that so easily? How can you feel confident with someone capable of doing such an horrible thing?

Anyway, that's my only complaint about this episode.

Next episode "promo"

I agree Alexis. Cristal 3.0 has no fashion sense at all :D

Last edited:

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Something I've just remembered. They said they didn't have enough proof to put Blake in jail.
Have they forgotten his threat/confession to Michael in prison, a few episodes ago? There was even an agent passing as a prisoner, recording the threat./confession.
Blake said those hands (his) had killed Mack if i remember well. This plus Alexis saying she saw him muredering Mack with his bare hands plus Blake's dna is not enough?

I mean DNA + Confession + direct witness = not enough because of spray tan ? :D

Last edited:

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Something I've just remembered. They said they didn't have enough proof to put Blake in jail.
Have they forgotten his threat/confession to Michael in prison, a few episodes ago? There was even an agent passing as a prisoner, recording the threat./confession.
Blake said those hands (his) had killed Mack if i remember well. This plus Alexis saying she saw him muredering Mack with his bare hands plus Blake's dna is not enough?

I mean DNA + Confession + direct witness = not enough because of spray tan ? :D

They didn't find DNA on Mack to be fair but on the tarp he was wrapped in. Plus, Alexis was destroyed as a witness on stand.

But it's not as outlandish as you make it seem. OJ Simpson anyone? It's the same leaning towards "reasonable doubt". If this was real life people would be furious though.

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
They didn't find DNA on Mack to be fair but on the tarp he was wrapped in. Plus, Alexis was destroyed as a witness on stand.

But it's not as outlandish as you make it seem. OJ Simpson anyone? It's the same leaning towards "reasonable doubt". If this was real life people would be furious though.

Ouragious. I'm talking about OJ Simpson's case. Even if OJ's DNA was all over the victims, he got away with it. But to be honest, at the time, people didn't really understand the very nature of the DNA tests.

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
  • The show has improved, though really, where else did it have to go?
  • There is an increased linearity in development. Let's see how long it lasts.
  • Alexis and Dominique are sparring much better than their original counterparts.
  • Liam is running the danger of becoming a prop for Fallon.
  • Adam is as fascinating as ever. I liked Anders being on his side.
  • Funny how this reboot underscores the children's obsession with getting dad's approval, not abandon-us-for-a-decade- mom's, which was true in the original too, but here it becomes a focal point.
  • Is Sam going to have any new stories or just kiss stick-up-his-ass former business hires?
  • I am almost beginning to find Jeff Colby interesting. Figures this would happen as he's about to die.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
  • I am almost beginning to find Jeff Colby interesting. Figures this would happen as he's about to die.

I do find it interesting that their relationship seems genuine. I assumed that they were going for the marriage being a complete sham. Surprisingly Sam Adegoke and Elaine Hendrix have believable (!) chemistry too. Funny, I didn't care for Jeff much before, but now I'm kind of sad he's inevitably going to be killed off. But better a character with an interesting run rather than someone who's overstaying their welcome, right?

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I do find it interesting that their relationship seems genuine. I assumed that they were going for the marriage being a complete sham.
I'm pretty sure their kissy-kissy act was just for Fallon's consumption, since the scene with just the two of them alone was all about their Plan To Destroy Blake (soon to be trademarked) and didn't indicate any intimacy.

I mean DNA + Confession + direct witness = not enough because of spray tan ?
We also had Anders lying that HE killed Mack, something they never pusued since Anders had an immunity deal. They proved Alexis was not a direct witness. The DA likely would feel that there was reasonable doubt, and she'd run the risk of wasting a ton of tax money mounting another trial (and risking her political future) on a case that she might not win (again). But of course we all know the real reason is because The Show wants to move on to other things.

I cared so little about Sam's kissing that guy that I forgot to even add it to the synopsis. My apologies. Also, Anders mentioned that he was having trouble contacting Kirby, which was the set-up for the next episode.

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm pretty sure their kissy-kissy act was just for Fallon's consumption, since the scene with just the two of them alone was all about their Plan To Destroy Blake (soon to be trademarked) and didn't indicate any intimacy.

We also had Anders lying that HE killed Mack, something they never pusued since Anders had an immunity deal. They proved Alexis was not a direct witness. The DA likely would feel that there was reasonable doubt, and she'd run the risk of wasting a ton of tax money mounting another trial (and risking her political future) on a case that she might not win (again). But of course we all know the real reason is because The Show wants to move on to other things.

I cared so little about Sam's kissing that guy that I forgot to even add it to the synopsis. My apologies. Also, Anders mentioned that he was having trouble contacting Kirby, which was the set-up for the next episode.

You're right;

And you don't have to be sorry, I think a few of us don't care at all about Sam kissing that guy.