• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Saved by the Bell

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Saved by the Bell was the one show I remember watching practically every morning before I got ready for school. It has some fond memories and a whole lot of sentiment attached to it for me.

It started as a family friendly series called Good Morning, Miss Bliss on the Disney Channel, a vehicle for former child star Hayley Mills, but it was axed after thirteen episodes. It was later retooled and revived as a Saturday morning NBC sitcom called Saved by the Bell. Only a handful of the characters from the original incarnation were brought over to the new version.

I know this topic might seem a little kitschy or cheesy to some of you, but I felt it was time that I give my friends here on Soap Chat the chance to take a stab at this lovable little comedy.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
I loved it as did my best friend at school. It was addictive. All the characters were great.

I loved Lisa and remember her being a fashion student later on. Think Jessie was my least favourite.

To this day, nearly 30 years on, I still have no idea what a ‘preppy’ is, or why AC called Zach that.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I loved it as did my best friend at school. It was addictive. All the characters were great.

I loved Lisa and remember her being a fashion student later on. Think Jessie was my least favourite.

To this day, nearly 30 years on, I still have no idea what a ‘preppy’ is, or why AC called Zach that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preppy

But basically it's a slang for a kid whose got a upper/upper middle class background and the mannerisms, clothing, vocabulary etc to go with it, originally derived from private "prep" schooling for university/college that those classes usually gets for their children. Zach is very much "preppy" in that sense.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Thanks @tommie - it's a term we wouldn't use here.

Does anyone remember the rumour that the actor who played Zach had died??

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I was a bit older than the intended demographic but I remember it being on here on Saturday mornings for a while. It was a bit of harmless fun and some of the cast went on to bigger things.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The online reboot of Saved by the Bell scheduled to premiere here in the near future. I don't think I'm going to like it. I mean, the guy's cussing in the trailer (if I linked the right one) and that's already a turn off.

Like why? This was a Saturday morning kid's show!

TJames03

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Never seen the show, but knowing that Lark Voorhies is a total psycho in real-life would surely add to rewatchability factor for me, if I ever decide to do so.

Last edited:

Frank Underwood

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Saved by Bell seemed cool growing up, but I see it as more of a guilty pleasure today. IMO, the funniest moments were always the ones that were unintentionally funny.

I can't say I get the point of the new series. It seems mostly geared towards today's teens, yet still has references that only grown fans of the original series will get. I'm in my late 30s, and I don't think I could sit through insipid drivel about the Kardashians or Justin Bieber just to hear the original characters talk about the good old days.

The look of the new series is also quite different. The original was a standard, cheap looking three camera sitcom. This is obviously a one camera sitcom, and it appears that they put considerably more money and effort into the the production design. It's funny that they put that much effort into a Saved by the Bell revival.

Last edited:
K

Karin Schill

Wow! I am surprised to see that they are rebooting this show!

I used to love watching it when I was about 14. I had a crush on Zack Morris. I used to have posters of him on my wall! :giggle:
I saw some episodes on the TCC channel, which was good english practise for me.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Anyone watch the Zack Morris is Trash videos on YouTube? They're funny.