• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Season 12 finale

seaviewcircle

Telly Talk Newbie
LV

Reaction score
Favourite Movie
what‘s eating Gilbert Grape
when rewatching Season 12 final episode, I canno help thinking that the producers had something else in mind concerning the direction in the show. First of all., I had the impression the Brian Johnston mystery was going to be one of the big storyline for season 13, Tom Ryan‘s returm in the final episode of S12, Paige being suspected, Linda more conniving than ever. However, at the beginning of S13, the screenwriters seemed to bewilling to conclude this story as quickly as possible. Brian Johnston becomes suddenly a psychokiller, Paige is no longer involved, Tom does not appear again and Linda is killed. The whole story makes no sense to me and the conclusion of the storyline is very disppointing. Besides, I am also not sure that the screenwritters really wanted to kill off Steve Brewer. I always thoight the characters of Tom, Steve and Limda still had potential and could have made S13 better if they had stayed in the cast. Doy ou also think so ?

Julia's Gun

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think this was to do with the writing team leaving at that time to work on another show? The producers Lechowick/Latham who had been with Knots for 5-6 years left to work on another project (Homefront, I think).

David Jacobs bought a new producer in for S13, that's why it changed a lot and went downhill. When new writers come in they tend to want to introduce new characters of their own. They clearly had little understanding of the show for the reasons you outline, and killed off some interesting characters.

seaviewcircle

Telly Talk Newbie
LV

Reaction score
Favourite Movie
what‘s eating Gilbert Grape
I think this was to do with the writing team leaving at that time to work on another show? The producers Lechowick/Latham who had been with Knots for 5-6 years left to work on another project (Homefront, I think).

David Jacobs bought a new producer in for S13, that's why it changed a lot and went downhill. When new writers come in they tend to want to introduce new characters of their own. They clearly had little understanding of the show for the reasons you outline, and killed off some interesting character

David Jacobs bought a new producer in for S13, that's why it changed a lot and went downhill. When new writers come in they tend to want to introduce new characters of their own. They clearly had little understanding of the show for the reasons you outline, and killed off some interesting characters.
I wish they had brought back Tom. in my opinion he and Paige was a hot couple. There was no chemistry between Nicollette Sheridan and Bruce Greenwood.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The new production team wanted Joey Gian (Tom) to remain on the show. In fact, they offered him a contract...but Gian preferred not to be tied down to one project. He was trying to launch a singing career, and the short-term, come-and-go nature of his appearances on Knots up to that point were preferable to him. Rather than be obligated to remain at the show as a regular, he turned down the contract and they chose to write him out.

Though the new producers definitely lost points for taking the show in such a different direction, the previous producers also deserve some flak for setting up such difficult plot points on their way out. It was as if they were setting up their replacements for failure.

valkaren

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Season 12 finale is a very odd one indeed. Knots thrived on slow builds where story arcs climax during season finales. The writers, in crafting Season 12, created stories where most of them essentially concluded (and 'concluded' is generous for these particular stories) 4 episodes before the end of the season, just in time for their 300th episode celebration (which in my opinion, was a very limp offering). Then, to conclude the season, the writers spend the one episode before the season finale, mainly introducing the Brian Johnston arc, before heightening the drama for the double-length season finale, including out-of-nowhere plots like Jason being involved in gangs.

My theory is as to why the writers did not continue with the rushed stories introduced in the finale, is that I can't imagine in any world Jacobs and Filerman even knew what these stories really were going, as I highly doubt there was a endgame when they were hurriedly introduced. Likely, Jacobs allowed the incoming writers to craft the stories they felt comfortable with, in the new 'darker and shorter story' style, while obviously not completely ignoring the lingering finale elements. In my opinion what they achieved with the strands from Season 12 was just about successful. Claudia's son was killed (I wouldn't have known what to do with him either), which finally blew up Claudia and Kate's relationship as it had been threatening to do since they were introduced. Brian Johnston's story was crafted into a nice simple arc including the murder of Linda (she had reached her potential) and the reasonably successful hostage episode 'House of Cards', eight episodes in. Even Anne and Benny's story, addressing Anne suddenly being made homeless in the finale (never truly convincing by itself) was flipped to provide shades of light in these darker times, although it does eventually outstay its welcome. These stories complimented the stories they actually wanted to tell, mainly, Tidal Energy and the introduction of Pierce.

valkaren

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
My post does sound like I'm calling Season 13 the best season ever and totally amazing. Trust me, I'm not. All I'm saying is that the writers did good with the mess they were left with. I am always one to say I prefer Season 13 over most of Season 12, because at least it feels like, for better or for worse, that Knots is trying.

Billy Nolan

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Lar Park Lincoln said in an interview at the time that there had been disagreements. She would have loved to stay longer on the show, but the new scriptwriters have dropped the role of "Linda".

PalmTree94

Telly Talk Newbie
LV

Reaction score
I just watched the season 12 finale, which even included a promo beforehand highlighting Tom’s return, and was definitely confused by his absence in the first episode of season 13. I actually thought I skipped an episode! It definitely seemed like a last minute decision to drop that part of the story line

I just now finished the episode where Brian kills Linda and it already feels like a bad call. She had finally hit the ground running and I feel that there was more life left in her. I don’t understand why the writers thought it’d be a good idea to kill her off, especially in her own story line. If they were going for shock value, it definitely did the trick.

Also, can somebody tell me why Karen thought it was a good idea to badger the parents of the kid who died and even show up at their house to see his bedroom? Maybe I’ve been reading her character wrong all these years, but it doesn’t seem in line with who she is to do that.

Other than Linda’s death and Karen’s stupidity, I don’t actually mind season 13 so far. I’ve heard it’s everyone’s least favorite season but as of now, I’m enjoying it more than season 12. That was a tough one for me. Season 11 also had moments that were hard to get through, like Val claiming she loved Danny more than anyone, “even more than Gary.” It took a huge suspension of disbelief on my end to get on board with that. I just kept telling myself, “well... maybe after everything she’s been through, she’s so desperate to be happy that she has no choice but to believe her own lies.”

I’m exited to finish the show, though. I started it 12 years ago and have always said it’s my favorite but didn’t have access to the last 5 seasons until recently! It should be fun.

Last edited:

Julia's Gun

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I’m exited to finish the show, though. I started it 12 years ago and have always said it’s my favorite but didn’t have access to the last 5 seasons until recently! It should be fun.

The last part of season 13 is really good, and will be interesting to hear what you make of the final season. It has some good moments, but budget cuts meant some of the main cast didn't appear in all the episodes.