Season 9 Titles

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've often been quite critical of season 9 of Falcon Crest but one thing about it that I've always loved is the title sequence. From the beginning when the gold falcon fleetingly swoops across the screen to reveal the show's name you can tell it's something new and special. The pace of the cutting of the different scenes, the guns, the angst look on the faces of several characters and the hints of romance and sex, you can tell it is going to be a very different show to what proceeded it.

They also did a great job on revamping the theme, it's totally different but with enough of the original theme to still be familiar. If only the season lived up to the promise of the show's titles.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
I loved the season 9 theme and I’m probably in the minority of liking season 9 also.
Although I'm very critical of the final season of Falcon Crest it was because it wasn't really Falcon Crest but a completely different show. If I look at it as being a separate and new show, and although it had some major flaws, overall it was actually quite good.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
That new logo didn’t last long. Within just a few episodes, they brought back the logo from seasons 6-8.
Yes, I always wondered why they did that. They even changed the typeface they used for the opening and ending titles back to what they had used in previous seasons (which I think was the benguiat typeface).

Chloe-Fusco

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes, I always wondered why they did that. They even changed the typeface they used for the opening and ending titles back to what they had used in previous seasons (which I think was the benguiat typeface).

@Angela Channing the fans contacted the show in droves and the coat of arms together with the earlier seasons typeface came back into the opening titles. The season 9 theme had a wee bit of FC in it. I suppose it wasn't bad, also the new accompanying titles arrangement but my God the feeling from the very start was that nothing or no one was safe and so throughout those final episodes the feeling became reality. A sad end to a once great sometimes thrashy show.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
@Angela Channing the fans contacted the show in droves and the coat of arms together with the earlier seasons typeface came back into the opening titles. The season 9 theme had a wee bit of FC in it. I suppose it wasn't bad, also the new accompanying titles arrangement but my God the feeling from the very start was that nothing or no one was safe and so throughout those final episodes the feeling became reality. A sad end to a once great sometimes thrashy show.
For me the different theme tune and titles reinforces the idea that the final season wasn't really Falcon Crest but an entirely new show and when I think of it like that I can begin to enjoy it.

Jock Og

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Patrick O'Hearn who did the work on the theme, is a renowned multi-instrumentalist, composer and recording artist. Credit to him! I realise '9' was like a new beginning for the wine saga and the theme / titles had to reflect that, in a very explicit way. That being said it was okay as a standalone theme; not really my cup of tea though, as regards the tag FALCON CREST. 'TPTB' should have renamed the last season FALCON 9 or FALCON GRIM; something along those lines, imho.

Kristian Alfonso (who acts Pilar Ortega Cumson) is being interviewed. There is some FC conversation about her co-stars, ('behind the scenes' from season 9, 1989 - '90):

"Lorenzo Lamas (Lance) is very sensitive, a real gentleman. That goes for David Selby (Richard) as well. They're both such wonderful men, so caring and giving."

Arlene Halloran

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
When I watched Price Of Freedom which was season 9 ep 1 for the 1st time I was shocked, at the new opening arrangement. While the theme was like marmite, in time I got to like the sound. The cast mixed with scenes or parts of them set the scene well but as the episodes notched up the situation became dire, to say the least. Pity in some respects.