• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Discovery Season Two is coming

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
The theme tune was perfect, probably because I was worried about singing appeared, but nevertheless, it worked just how I had hope and the end part sent tingles down my spine. I also loved the visuals, it was different from previous series’ where we would see the ship in different places of space.

I felt the story took a little while to get going, but once we passed Burnham in a spacesuit – I’ve never been a fan of those scenes.

I was a little dubious with how the Klingons look, we’ve seen so many different looks of these over the years, but by the end of the first episode, I bought into the idea.

The visuals throughout were extremely pleasing and pretty much what I was hoping for, obviously, it’s going to be much smarter and clearer than all the previous years, and this is where I struggle with prequels, especially the technology side of things. I had similar doubts with STAR TREK 2009, but again I soon bought into it all.

Sonequa Martin-Green & Michelle Yeoh were great in their roles, I'm also happy with James Frain as Sarek, despite seeing only a little of him.

There's not much backstory yet, but I'm going to assume that will come over the season.

The ending was fantastic, very dark and full of promise, we even got to see Burnham go against the captain, that doesn’t happen much and certainly not in the first encounter.

I’m really excited for the second episode and more so for the rest of the season.

It’s an amazing feeling to have something new again from STAR TREK

Christine

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I really enjoyed the first two episodes of Discovery.
I knew that many Trekkies would not like it but I think they were never willing to give this show a chance. They decided months ago to hate it.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
3 episodes in and this is fast becoming a fantastic series, I hope I haven't jinxed it by feeling this way.

I only wish the episodes were a little bit longer. There's a great story coming together, but I miss those little interactions between characters that Trek does so well. Burnham reminds me a little of Kirk where she doesn't always follow protocol but would risk anything and everything for the safety of the crew.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
This series isn't afraid to kill off its characters, is it?

I love all the new technology the ship has and it's not bothering me how this is much more advanced than Kirk's ship will be in ten years time. The lack technology was part of my disappointment in ENTERPRISE

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
This doesn't feel like STAR TREK in many ways, but you know, much as I have seen series after series of STAR TREK, I am fine with it. There is clearly a good story going on.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
This doesn't feel like STAR TREK in many ways
Interesting. What is it you're not feeling?

I've found this to be much darker than anything we've seen before and that includes the darker DS9. That itself has had me wondering about how I feel about the show. I've also found it's been more about the plot than the characters, though at the same time I know it's only been a few episodes. I like what we have seen of the characters, but I'm struggling to know their names, something I don't recall happening with any of the other series'

Thinking about this, I would say that it's the Klingons I'm struggling with the most, all the subtitles are distracting me from what's happening. I keep thinking that they will have the 'Universal Translator' in operation as the story continues.

All that aside I'm having the best time with the show right now, it's so good to be back in space with Starfleet.

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
So now they even have a holodeck already?! :re:
Those Discovery-creators don't give a shit about Star Trek-history or canon.
Even the story is stolen from an unknown PC-game without giving credits to the developer: http://anas-tronaut.blogspot.de/2017/10/star-trek-discovery-tardigrades.html
I'll watch "The Orville" instead, as this has much more "Star Trek" in it than the actual new Star Trek-show. :lol:

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
So now they even have a holodeck already?

I like to think they've always had it, but they've been too busy exploring strange new worlds and seek out new life and new civilizations.

Just because we havening seen it, doesn't mean it wasn't there....:D

Anyway, I'm thoroughly enjoying this series.

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I like to think they've always had it, but they've been too busy exploring strange new worlds

Yeah well, in TNGs pilot right at the beginning the holodeck's introduced as a stunning new technical feature and everyone is quite astonished by it. So that would clearly make it a 24th century innovation. ;)
They didn't talk to holograms as well in TNG, it was all talking to screens, yet they now do it already in DSC, just to make it look cooler.

DSC's a nice scifi show, but completly out of canon in so many ways with the other Star Trek shows.
I wish they've set it into the future instead, right after Voyager, and Klingons would look like Klingons again or at least as a believable transition from what they looked/behaved like between TOS and TNG.
So even it's named Star Trek, it doesn't give me a Star Trek feeling at all while watching, because i know the other ST shows so well and too many things just don't fit.
There are many other ways to make it look modern if you're the right person for the job, you don't need to use things that just weren't invented yet to make it look cool.
And Spock now having a Stepsister we've never heard of before? Come on, is this a dream season or what? :lolo:
I love nitpicking, but with DSC it's just too much work. :D I mean, just take out Sarek and you cut every string to Star Trek, because nothing would be left that could make it Trek.
I really dislike how those "inventors of new Trek past" (new Abrams films included) always abuse poor Sarek and Spock for their "mission".

Last edited:

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Yeah well, in TNGs pilot right at the beginning the holodeck's introduced as a stunning new technical feature
Oh, well, wow, I completely forgot about this - Okay, I take my comments back.... :D

DSC's a nice scifi show, but completly out of canon in so many ways with the other Star Trek shows.
I get what you're saying and there were moments (well many) throughout these episodes where I was shaking my head, but that aside I just went along for the ride.

I totally agree and wish they went more after Voyager, I don't understand why they are reluctant to do this, it's not like Enterprise was a big hit with the fans.

But here we are and I'm just happy that we have Trek back on TV, even if it's technology is totally out of this world from the other shows.

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The main problem for me is, they just don't care. They have good ideas for a scifi-show, no doubt about that, but then they need to call it Star Trek, just because Star Trek has a huge fandom and a huge following - and huge financial possibilities.
But in order to justify the use of that, you at least have to keep some track of the overall history of this brand.
But they don't even give a damn about that. They just want to squeeze as much money out of it as possible, and it shows. They don't want to make Star Trek, they only want to use the brand.
Even if set in the past, there would have been MANY ways to stay in canon and make it work anyway, if they just cared. But they don't. I only see the $ signs in the eyes of the developers, when i watch DSC, that's what i'm getting from that show.
And that's why i feel much more comfortable with "The Orville", because despite the many stupid obstacles they are thrown in the way by CBS/Paramount (not allowed to make profitable ST-like-shows, that's why many, many great Fan projects got axed, here full details: http://www.startrek.com/fan-films), for example they can't use terms like beaming or the Federation or Prime Directive, the guys from "The Orville" still manage to give me a "Trek" feeling while watching their great episodes.
There you can clearly see the difference between people just interested in making money and people that want to tell a story and/or love the Star Trek SPIRIT and try their best to make money out of THAT. It's a HUGE difference!
That's what makes me look at DSC with some kind of a healthy distance and keeps me from getting too involved with it and on the other side loving shows like "The Orville" more and more. Even if it's sooo different and with the maybe sometimes misplaced humor and all ... The Orville keeps the original Star Trek spirit and values it.
I am also glad that we have Star Trek back on TV - but for me that is due to "The Orville" and NOT because of "Discovery". ;)
The Orville was renewed for a 2nd season some days ago, so more REAL Star Trek to come! :dance:

Last edited:

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I do hear what you're saying Matthew and I would echo those thoughts, probably more if I was watching The Orville. That's not getting shown over here yet, which might be a good thing.

I have no idea how the show is perceived by the real Trekkies out there, but there must be an element where these guys are trying to attract new viewers and that could be down to poor writing and ignorance of the whole franchise.

Anyway, I'm not going to overthink it too much because it might be gone after the second season.

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
If you liked TNG, DS9 and VOY, please try to get hands on The Orville... it might become your favorite "Trek" show of all times! ;)
It has all the heart and soul that made those shows so great, properly mixed with some great humor and nicely transferred to make it look up to date!
Heck, on The Orville they even still work with REAL models of the ships! ;)

But the MOST thing to love about The Orville is, that it really stays faithful to some of the most beloved characters, you have - if you will - a Data, a Worf, a Geordi , a Doctor Crusher and a Number One aka Lt. Cmdr. Riker.
Bortus is the closest to come to Lt. Cmdr. Worf, so here - to trigger your thurst - is a small but very delicious clip of him:

Just imagine Worf was to sing "My heart will go on" on TNG :D

Last edited:

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Here's the great opening credits of The Orville, it will make you cheer and watch it again and again and again!!!! :D

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
On another plus side, The Orville has Brannon Braga writing for them, who was very involved with writing for TNG, DS9 and VOY.
Plus our very own Commander Riker aka Jonathan Frakes is even directing the 5th installment of "The Orville"!
Here is a video review comparison, but the title already reveals that The Orville is better, so you beware of spoilers and please only watch that, if you have already watched certain amounts of BOTH shows. ;)

..."DSC ... only available through CBSs' glitchy app". Poor Americans.:( And the rest of the world is like: :crazy: :laughs: :giggle::rolling:

Last edited:

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Orville opening credits in better quality (HD):

As i constantly keep refusing ENTERPRISE to accept as legit continuation after VOY, i highly enjoy The Orville, as it FINALLY provides me with what i want to see after all these years... a proper continuation of exploring space in nice ships in advanced times. NO need to worry about money or reign or other of these stupid things. Just living the moment and no strings attatched. THAT's Star Trek! To boldly go!!

Last edited:

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I finally caught up with the rest of season one and episodes 12-14 were bloody amazing. The final episode was somewhat of a letdown, but the last few minutes elevated me out of my own headspace.

I was not expecting that!

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
It's the shirt!!

And maybe Spock..?

Zable

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And maybe Spock..?
Yes! To be played by Ethan Peck, grandson of Gregory P.

With the blessings of the Nimoy family. (See tweets by Adam Nimoy; wife Terry Farrell -- Jadzia Dax of ST: DS9 fame; and Ethan Peck.)