• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Dallas Pictures Set Changes You Liked...

southfork88

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I loved offices of JR and Bobby from 1983 to 1987 (even if only 2 secretaries and a receptionnist seems very cheap, even for an "independant oil company" (I don"t know what it means, really, btw)

On Bobby's office, I liked the fake-stone wall, so "south-west", and on JR's, I LOVED the Texas map, with lights for oil fields

Dallas-123-S06xE20--Brothers And Sisters--Febraury 25, 1983 0759.jpg

Lastkidpicked

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Southfork88, thank you for posting that pic.
Did you all notice the lamp to the left of Bobby?
The base of the lamp is an oil derrick.

Lastkidpicked

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Thank you for posting that, Southfork88!

If you are a behind-the-scenes geek like me, then I'll give you the cheat code for how you know this was filmed on the soundstage in California rather than on location in Texas:

Clue number one-- look at the drapes, including on the doors. They are pulled shut. This is because if you could see inside, you wouldn't see furniture. You would see the camera parts and props stored behind there.

Clue number two-- look at the plants behind the bicycle. They are not planted in the ground, they are stuck in pots. You wouldn't do that in Dallas, because they would keep blowing over. But you would do that on a soundstage because there is no wind to worry about.

I love the little "tells" that nobody else probably notices. Just kind of fun.

southfork88

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Thank you for posting that, Southfork88!

If you are a behind-the-scenes geek like me, then I'll give you the cheat code for how you know this was filmed on the soundstage in California rather than on location in Texas:

Clue number one-- look at the drapes, including on the doors. They are pulled shut. This is because if you could see inside, you wouldn't see furniture. You would see the camera parts and props stored behind there.

Clue number two-- look at the plants behind the bicycle. They are not planted in the ground, they are stuck in pots. You wouldn't do that in Dallas, because they would keep blowing over. But you would do that on a soundstage because there is no wind to worry about.

I love the little "tells" that nobody else probably notices. Just kind of fun.

I Lastkidpicked,

for me it is always easy and immediate to identify whether a scene was filmed on soundstage or in California rather than on location in Texas.

I believe that all the most passionate fans have this ability and ... yes, all this is fun ;)

Lastkidpicked

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Thank you for the pic of J.R. in his office. I escpecially like the Dallas buildings you can see through the window.

or me it is always easy and immediate to identify whether a scene was filmed on soundstage or in California rather than on location in Texas.

I believe that all the most passionate fans have this ability and ... yes, all this is fun ;)
In some of the shooting on location out in Dallas, you can see the crew struggling with the wind. Trying to keep that 80's hair under control. In J.R. Returns, Cliff has to use both hands and his body to close the door on his car due to the wind.

To me, that's not a bad thing. It adds to the realism of the show when they are on location and can't control the wind or the lighting.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
then I'll give you the cheat code for how you know this was filmed on the soundstage in California rather than on location in Texas:
This eagle-eyed viewer didn't require the cheat code to notice the clouds in the distance didn't move and I thought for sure I could see a seam in the back-drop.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Wow that is a great still of JR walking the hallway upstairs. After watching TNT Dallas and comparing it to Lorimar Dallas the contrast between the two is striking. Regardless if interior shots of Southfork were largely filmed on a soundstage the writers/producers really understood how to use Southfork as a character in itself, unlike those dingbats over at TNT Dallas. I wonder if they smelt the burn stemming from forums like this criticising that woeful TNT Southfork interior. I hope the stench knocked them off their perch.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Wow that is a great still of JR walking the hallway upstairs. After watching TNT Dallas and comparing it to Lorimar Dallas the contrast between the two is striking. Regardless if interior shots of Southfork were largely filmed on a soundstage the writers/producers really understood how to use Southfork as a character in itself, unlike those dingbats over at TNT Dallas. I wonder if they smelt the burn stemming from forums like this criticising that woeful TNT Southfork interior. I hope the stench knocked them off their perch.
Well, we're apparently "nutjobs" for thinking so.