She’s gone!!! Arlene Foster resigns!!!

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Hallelujah!

One right wing bigot is going now lets get rid of the one in Downing Street next.

Brian Kinney

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
But why celebrate something that can get worse?

Did homophobia lead to Arlene Foster’s downfall?

I would hardly call Arlene Foster an ally to the LGBTQ+ community. However, a sense among the DUP’s old guard that she softened the party’s stance on gay rights is rumoured to be a factor behind her failure to retain support from the party, leading to her standing down. The DUP has always been seen as the most powerful, most vehemently anti-gay political party in Northern Ireland. (...)
Arlene Foster’s recent abstention on the vote to ban “conversion therapy” in Northern Ireland, despite her party putting forward an amendment to weaken the original motion brought by the Ulster Unionist party, has been seen by some as the straw that broke the camel’s back for the party’s more hardline, evangelical wing.

Canon

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards

I'm no fan, but I wouldn't be celebrating. Foster was considered fairly moderate for a DUP leader, she did ever so slightly nudge the party in a better direction. The grey, miserable men waiting to take her place will only set politics in the North further back in time. That said, this may drive the more moderate DUP voter to seek alternatives, such as the Alliance party, destroying the DUP/Unionist majority.

Last edited:

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I will never forgive her for enabling Theresa May to remain in power after the 2017 election so I'm glad she's going. It's possible, or even probable, that her successor could be even more hard line but the difference is a bit like weighing up whether it's better to be shot in the head or stabbed in the heart.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Nah sorry - this is my country and the damage she has done here has kept us firmly stuck in 1690. With respect come and live here and see what it’s like.

I do agree Edwin Poots is a bad bad replacement- however if Arlene had in any way half disciplined her party, he wouldn’t be in the running at all.