• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Should Krystle's big sister, Iris, have reappeared?

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Long assumed dead, should Iris Grant have emerged during, say, Season 6 once Daniel Reece had died and Sammy Jo had come into a lot of money?

Or perhaps in Season 10, after Krystle's gone and safely out of the way?

What would Iris' story be? Why did she dump a kid who wasn't even sired by Frank Dean onto him to raise?

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
While I wish we did see more of Krystle and Sammy Jo's relatives during the shows original run, I also kinda liked that fact that they really were in the background, in stark contrast to the numerous
Carrington, Colby and Morrell relatives we saw.

To be honest until season 9 I never considered the possibility that the Grant family had other relatives, after all none came to any of Krystle's weddings (all three of them), nor to see the the then newborn of Krystina or Danny, so I assumed that Krystle and Sammy Jo were all that were left, until season 9 that is when we see Virginia, and she implies that her own mother is still alive somewhere and that there are indeed other Grant/Methany relations.

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
To be honest until season 9 I never considered the possibility that the Grant family had other relatives, after all none came to any of Krystle's weddings (all three of them), nor to see the the then newborn of Krystina or Danny, so I assumed that Krystle and Sammy Jo were all that were left, until season 9 that is when we see Virginia, and she implies that her own mother is still alive somewhere and that there are indeed other Grant/Methany relations.

I was of the same mind, given how only Sammy Jo was mentioned. It was one of these nice surprises of season 9 to bring back all the threads (Krystle's family, Dominique's family, the Colbys, the Dexters, and of course Roger Grimes) and ground the show on its past again, right by the time it had completely forgotten about almost all of it the previous years.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Does it seem a logical development that Sammy Jo was molested by Frank Dean? It would explain a lot.

And was there any reason to give Locklear's family such Rat Pack names (Sammy, Frank, Dean)?

AndyLaird

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Long assumed dead, should Iris Grant have emerged during, say, Season 6 once Daniel Reece had died and Sammy Jo had come into a lot of money?

Or perhaps in Season 10, after Krystle's gone and safely out of the way?

What would Iris' story be? Why did she dump a kid who wasn't even sired by Frank Dean onto him to raise?

I'm not a fan of "back from the dead" stories (such a cliche) so I will say no. They could perhaps have said Iris was missing not dead, so they could bring her in when they needed her to create a plot, and this may have been good for season 10. They did sometimes "seed" characters by having characters make passing references to them a long time before we actually see them (Ben, Amanda).

The trouble is even that would not be very different from what had been done before.

On the whole I think they cancelled Dynasty at about the right time, although I would have liked another Paulsen-led season featuring Sable. But the risk is that they would just end up doing variations on plots that they'd done before (indeed some would say, with justification, that this had been happening quite a bit already).

So all in all, I'm glad they left Iris in the backstory. I think they would have struggled to do anything very original with her. If they had tried I would have liked it to be in a tenth season under Paulsen.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Why did she dump a kid who wasn't even sired by Frank Dean onto him to raise?
Because she wanted to be sure that her real father would never find her? Too bad they had already introduced her father in season 5, because it could have been bigger.
And apart from the ranch, Daniel Reece didn't bring much into the story.

Did Iris protect her daughter from her father, the way Alexis pretended to protect Amanda? And did she leave (faked her death) to make sure this mysterious Important Man would never find them? But why, who was this man? America's most influential gangster? Could that be part of the season 10 storyline? "Which one of you bastards is my real father?" (the president, the gangster or America's most famous TV evangelist).

Not sure about Shirley Jones. She looks nice but I don't know her and she doesn't scream "Dynasty". How about Lee Grant?