Soap addict support thread

JROG

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Medals
Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later.

I started in August 2007. 13 years later, I am finally about to watch the very last episode of MELROSE PLACE. Don't ask me why a 7-season show took 13 years. Don't even ask me why the last season took four years to watch even though I found the reboot quite successful.

It is happening. I am trying not to get too emotional. Support me, y'all!

rlr718

Telly Talk Fan
Reaction score
Medals
I loved melrose when it initially aired. It was appointment television for me. I started watching in the second season towards the end and watched through the 6th.
I never watched the reboot.
I do understand how you feel as when Buffy and Angel both ended it was hard.
juhs tom you jrog.

Alexis

Telly Talk Hero
Reaction score
Medals
I think I have been meaning to start season 5 of Melrose Place for about 2 years now. I'm sorry but it just feels like trash, and not even addictive trash. It's just so of it's time and I kinda hated that time in the 1990s. At a certain point I realised that I hated almost the entire cast except Amanda and Kimberly and Sidney. They were just a really unlikeable bunch of people. It was so repetitive already when I last watched in season 4 and then half the cast left and we got Lisa Rinna and Alyssa Milano. I have season 5 and 6 sitting on the shelf and have had no desire to watch.... Not even when I was in lockdown. Maybe I am saving them for when I run out of literally everything to watch.

Mel O'Drama

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Medals
For what it's worth, I began watching Melrose in 1992 and I still haven't finished it. The Fifth Season finale is as far as I've got.

Although...

I never watched the reboot.

I did watch this all the way through. And it made perfect sense without those final two seasons. It probably works even better, actually, since its first major storyline heavily references the S5 finale.

Alexis

Telly Talk Hero
Reaction score
Medals
For what it's worth, I began watching Melrose in 1992 and I still haven't finished it. The Fifth Season finale is as far as I've got.

Although...
I had to go back and check and I actually did finish season 5! I just haven't started season 6 yet.

Marika

Telly Talk Member
Reaction score
From today's perspective, Melrose Place's seasons are just too long and that makes it hard to binge-watch the show – especially the later seasons where the pace had become much slower. In today's streaming world, we are used to shows with 10 to 12 episodes a season, and even those shows usually have a few filler episodes.

Theoretically, if Melrose Place had been a "regular" network show with 22 episodes a season, it could have run for over 10 seasons with its total amount of episodes.

Alexis

Telly Talk Hero
Reaction score
Medals
If I have finished season 5, then that's probably more episodes of Melrose Place I have seen than I have seen of Dynasty considering how Long Melrose Place seasons are. Only I would have watched DYNASTY countless multiple times. I doubt Melrose Place will get a re-watch any time soon.

JROG

Reaction score
Medals
I had to go back and check and I actually did finish season 5! I just haven't started season 6 yet.

Sadly, if you did start Season 6, it wouldn't exactly encourage you to keep watching. In fact, it'd make things worse! Season 6 was when I started losing the will to live while watching (although 4 was a letdown and 5 was hard to get through), except for the Christmas episode. That's why those last two seasons took me 8 years. Season 6 totally turned me off.

I almost feel it'd be worth it for you to just skip ahead to Season 7. You'd have to deal with 7 rough-ish episodes and get to see MELROSE reborn. It wasn't perfect, as the balance between earthier late-90s drama and batshit crazy soap took some time to figure out, but it became a MUCH better show (Peter Dunne was involved).

From today's perspective, Melrose Place's seasons are just too long and that makes it hard to binge-watch the show – especially the later seasons where the pace had become much slower. In today's streaming world, we are used to shows with 10 to 12 episodes a season, and even those shows usually have a few filler episodes.

Theoretically, if Melrose Place had been a "regular" network show with 22 episodes a season, it could have run for over 10 seasons with its total amount of episodes.

Oh, I never tried to or had any intention to binge-watch MELROSE. I did/am doing all the major primetime soaps on a weekly basis. But I agree with you. Binging even the good stuff like Season 3 might be too much; the pace so fast, the developments so crazy, you'd get whiplash!

If I have finished season 5, then that's probably more episodes of Melrose Place I have seen than I have seen of Dynasty considering how Long Melrose Place seasons are. Only I would have watched DYNASTY countless multiple times. I doubt Melrose Place will get a re-watch any time soon.

This got me curious and I checked. Turns out, DYNASTY and MELROSE had almost the exact amount of episodes! With DYNASTY's long seasons (it did almost as many episodes as MP) and MP's shorter run, it balanced out. But, yes, DYNASTY is more re-watchable. I have been wanting to go back to the beginning with MELROSE but shudder at the sheer effort that would take....

tommie

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
I'm a huge Melrose fan, but season 6 was hard to get through in the 90s and I don't think I've ever bothered to re-watch it since it originally aired, so that says a lot about how dire things got. It's not just the missing cast members either (though that didn't help matters), it was just all over the place. I think the Amber storyline nicely represents everything I hate about that season.

tommie

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
This got me curious and I checked. Turns out, DYNASTY and MELROSE had almost the exact amount of episodes! With DYNASTY's long seasons (it did almost as many episodes as MP) and MP's shorter run, it balanced out. But, yes, DYNASTY is more re-watchable. I have been wanting to go back to the beginning with MELROSE but shudder at the sheer effort that would take....

In all honesty, whenever I rewatch any periods of Melrose Place it tends to be from 1.21-4.15 and ironically season 7. Most of the pre-Amanda episodes are just too dire though there are some good things there (like when Keith / Cole Gioberti enters in 1.11 and the show seems to be having its first soap opera storyline) and after 4.15 I assume Darren Star's original outline of the season ended and the show just starts treading water until it completely loses it, kills off Brooke and gives Kimberly multiple personalities. Those episodes were fun on original airing, but not so much on re-watch, maybe because it dead-ends a character that they somewhat managed to reform in the initial season four episodes. Season 7 just feels like they refreshed the show and went back to what made the show originally work (ie 8 people in an apartment complex interacting), thus ending the complete island-ing of characters that had pretty much gone on since season 4; the show just sort of ends up feeling whole again and like an ensemble (despite obvious re-writing of Amanda's history again).

JROG

Reaction score
Medals
It's not just the missing cast members either (though that didn't help matters), it was just all over the place. I think the Amber storyline nicely represents everything I hate about that season.

Yeah, it's not about the departed cast members although I did occasionally miss them and it might've made it easier to deal with Season 6 to have them around (perhaps the reason why Season 5 didn't feel as dire as S06). It was just so so SO boring. Before the DVDs started coming out and I had only seen the odd Season 3 rerun episodes, I had read recaps from a couple S06 episodes and I it sounded so damn soapy and thrilling. And then you watch it and... it's lifeless. Perversely, I want to rewatch S06; I don't remember Amber or nearly anything about it.

In all honesty, whenever I rewatch any periods of Melrose Place it tends to be from 1.21-4.15 and ironically season 7. Most of the pre-Amanda episodes are just too dire though there are some good things there (like when Keith / Cole Gioberti enters in 1.11 and the show seems to be having its first soap opera storyline) and after 4.15 I assume Darren Star's original outline of the season ended and the show just starts treading water until it completely loses it, kills off Brooke and gives Kimberly multiple personalities. Those episodes were fun on original airing, but not so much on re-watch, maybe because it dead-ends a character that they somewhat managed to reform in the initial season four episodes. Season 7 just feels like they refreshed the show and went back to what made the show originally work (ie 8 people in an apartment complex interacting), thus ending the complete island-ing of characters that had pretty much gone on since season 4; the show just sort of ends up feeling whole again and like an ensemble (despite obvious re-writing of Amanda's history again).

I think that's pretty common re: rewatching. I've only ever gone back to Season 2, 3, and a little of season 4 (and never the whole season). I think it's one of the drawbacks of edge-of-your-seat storytelling. S03 was like that, or a show like 24. Once you know what happens and there's no element of surprise, they become less compelling.

Kudos to Darren Star though. Keeping a fast-paced, plot driven show going over seasons of massive length and even with his outlines he was able to help.

S07 was a breath of fresh air. The show felt like itself again (although different) and, most importantly, it wasn't boring anymore! Too bad they didn't give them their 8th season. They deserved one final season to really bring the changes full circle and write a proper (not rushed) series finale.

Last edited:

Alexis

Telly Talk Hero
Reaction score
Medals
I almost feel it'd be worth it for you to just skip ahead to Season 7. You'd have to deal with 7 rough-ish episodes and get to see MELROSE reborn. It wasn't perfect, as the balance between earthier late-90s drama and batshit crazy soap took some time to figure out, but it became a MUCH better show (Peter Dunne was involved).
I mean I'd skip it but I paid silly money for an all complete season 6 instead of that two volumes shit. I think I have bought my last few seasons of Melrose from Australia! And... Sadly I am a completist. No matter how long that may take. :rolleyes:

tommie

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
Kudos to Darren Star though. Keeping a fast-paced, plot driven show going over seasons of massive length and even with his outlines he was able to help.

S07 was a breath of fresh air. The show felt like itself again (although different) and, most importantly, it wasn't boring anymore! Too bad they didn't give them their 8th season. They deserved one final season to really bring the changes full circle and write a proper (not rushed) series finale.

Yes and ultimately, what killed the show was the fact that Darren Star left and they left it into the hands of Frank South, who ultimately didn't understand what made the show successful. For all Darren's plot-driven insanity, he also knew that at it's heart it was a community-driven soap opera and once he left, so did the sense of community on the show. Hence islanding Alison and Jake in their storyline of misery in season five.

There's a reason why Darren Star himself keeps bringing up Knots Landing when talking about Melrose Place and why season seven ended up feeling refreshed when a Knots Landing scribe joined. It's a shame they didn't figure out to bring in someone like Peter Dunne in season five when they decided to go more "grounded", but I guess they literally had to run the show into the ground (ie season 6) before they did something more drastic.

tommie

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals

Can someone make a FLOPS Landing insert? No they can't. So flop. Melrose Place wins always!

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Reaction score
Medals
The doctor has played another but unrelated role in MP.

Why is Donna Mills not in this "ultimate" fan video? It's not complete without the guest stars (was she the only one?)

Marika

Telly Talk Member
Reaction score
Why is Donna Mills not in this "ultimate" fan video? It's not complete without the guest stars (was she the only one?)
That "ultimate" video features everyone who had ever been on the show's opening credits.

Donna Mills only appeared in a couple of episodes in season 5 and was listed as a "special guest star" among the regular guest star credits.

tommie

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
That "ultimate" video features everyone who had ever been on the show's opening credits.

Donna Mills only appeared in a couple of episodes in season 5 and was listed as a "special guest star" among the regular guest star credits.

Well and Patrick Muldoon. And David Charvet. So why didn't Donna Mills receive a proper opening credit on Melrose? She deserves it dammit.

Marika

Telly Talk Member
Reaction score
Well and Patrick Muldoon. And David Charvet. So why didn't Donna Mills receive a proper opening credit on Melrose? She deserves it dammit.
Huh? Patrick Muldoon is not in the video since he wasn't on the opening credits.
David Charvet was included in the opening credits from the end of season 5 to his departure in his season 6.

rlr718

Telly Talk Fan
Reaction score
Medals

Although...

I did watch this all the way through. And it made perfect sense without those final two seasons. It probably works even better, actually, since its first major storyline heavily references the S5 finale.

I don’t even remember the season 5 finale......