• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Spoiler!!! Huge Season 2 Spoiler!!! Read At Own Risk!!!

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I read somewhere (in passing, since I don't generally watch the CW) that several of the producers/show-runners for CW shows were asked to limit their spoilers. At the time I assumed they only meant the superhero shows (Arrow, The Flash, etc.) but perhaps it was a network-wide request. I can understand why they might do this, because when shows "over-spoil" (share too much) they might give enough away to allow some viewers to keep up without watching. Daytime soaps go through phases where they over-spoil, then pull back on info, then panic and start over-spoiling again, worried that the lack of "buzz" means people are losing interest.

ChrisSumner

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
But isn't that a good thing? Does it not make the anticipation (for you) much greater in looking forward to the return of your favourite series? I know this is how I felt in the good old days prior to the birth of the internet and social media. I recall my local station advertising the return season of Dallas and it felt like counting down to Christmas.

No I mean in terms of casting lol. I don’t want story spoilers because u really have to see it played out to truly judge, I just want some buzz for the show in general. The finale teased Kirby so we know she’s coming but have no clue who is playing her. Dominique is also coming and potentially Liam’s family. Stuff like that of pictures of the existing cast can still build anticipation without spoiling it.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Also, if the casting announcement involves an actor with a following, it can sometimes (not always, but sometimes) make his or her fans take notice and decide to sample the show to see that favorite actor in their new role. Most networks and show-runners over-estimate the power of such casting decisions based on the actor's past roles (especially soap producers for some reason) but they keep trying.

Edie70

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Have you seen this, guys?
https://deadline.com/2018/08/dynast...al-cristal-the-cw-nathalie-kelley-1202440782/

Mexican actress Ana Brenda Contreras joins the show as 'the real Cristal Flores':eyes: I'm seriously confused!!

And Mark Peowitz weighs in:
“We were a little surprised she spoiled the surprise,” the CW president Mark Pedowitz said of Kelley’s comments, noting that “we have plans for other characters too. (Showrunner) Sallie (Patrick) has fun twist and turns in store.”

ChrisSumner

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Finally some casting news! Definitely interested in where this goes. The weakest part of season one wasn’t how Cristal was written but the actress so this is a welcome change for me.

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
So the other Cristal was just an imposter? :eck:

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Last edited:

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Especially as we've already met Cristal's sister and nephew.
We met Celia Machado's sister and nephew. Celia came to the US and started calling herself Cristal Flores, a name everyone assumed she'd just chosen out of thin air. Looks like Celia's 'makeover' into Cristal Flores was a case of identity theft.

Gabriel Maxwell

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
"It's a soap," Pedowitz says of the idea behind the recasting. "It's a wild soap. It's like a telenovela. You do things that make sense for the moment based on where the storyline's going. That's really all it's about."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/ana-brenda-contreras-joins-dynasty-season-2-1132406

I'm not sure I like that approach. It reminds me of ABC President in 2008 saying DIRTY SEXY MONEY should be a "fun popcorn show" and then went on to ruin whatever they did right in season 1. It's the characters, stupid.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Looks like Celia's 'makeover' into Cristal Flores was a case of identity theft.
And yet Anders failed to discover this part.
So, could the real Cristal claim to be legally married to Blake Carrington? In other words, is it possible - from the victim's point of view - to actually benefit from identity theft?
Seems like a highly unlikely scenario.
But what other reason would she have to stick around? Because...because…?

And suddenly, the Krystle vs. Rita storyline looks like a masterpiece of Shakespearean heights. Thanks, CW Dynasty!:hats:

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
This has nothing to do with her role on Dynasty but here's a brief interview with her. I have to say I quite like her. I found Nathalie Kelley to be a bit sickly sweet, Ana Brenda seems a little more feisty and formidable. Not sure where they're gonna go with her character but I warm to her more than Nathalie.

RottenSkipper17

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Well, wasn't Cristal technically an imposter anyway? She was initially known as Celia Machado. So on that aspect, this isn't too much of a stretch. On the other hand, this kind of feels like the CW Dynasty is wiping their hands clean of Nathalie Kelley's Cristal and starting all over. And if they do end up jumping immediately into the time skip in the season 2 premiere, it will be like she never existed. Let's just hope this doesn't blow up completely in their faces.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I mean WTF? How could they do a reboot of DYNASTY and decide that a recast would be great in season 2 for a lead role. How do think this was a good idea. Why must everyone involved in the production of DYNASTY be eternal assholes?

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Reading between the lines, Pedowitz was actually saying "Yeah, I'm not sure what their methodology is on this, but there's always that catch-all excuse: It's a soap. When in doubt, just blame it on the format. And of course, I can blame it on the show-runners if it turns into a huge dumpster fire, so win-win."

Hey, maybe she started the fire! That "fiery Latina" :fp:

Zable

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm going to miss Nathalie Kelley and her sweet smile and cute outfits.:rip: I've grown to like her and there seemed to be an interesting friendship between her and Fallon.

UPDATE: Dynasty Boss confirms Nathalie Kelley's exit
https://tvline.com/2018/08/06/nathalie-kelley-leaving-dynasty-season-2-cristal-recast/

I would love to hear the exact words CW president Mark Pedowitz used when he made his announcement on Monday at the Television Critics Assoc. summer press tour.

From the reports at the 3 links given, the word “recast” appears to have been put in his mouth as he was never actually quoted using that word ….So, I was holding out hope that the Celia Machado character – who is really the woman Blake is married to – was still in the picture, leaving the door open for Nathalie Kelley to re-enter later.

However, the 3rd link, TVline .reports that Mr Pedowitz allegedly said (in TVlines’ words)
“…as the character (Cristal, ie Celia) will succumb to the injuries she sustained in the Season 1 finale”.
Again, true, or words in his mouth? …..If he did say that, what are the chances he spoke a ‘truth’ of a kind; let the fans believe one thing now, and it will be claimed on-screen, then surprise! No? Is it truly bye-bye, NK?

Last edited: