• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Dallas Character Sue Ellen’s father’s name

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
What do you think would be a good name for Sue Ellen’s father?

Her mother Patricia had a standard name, meaning noble, and was very common in the USA at one time.

I’ve always been curious if her father would have a name like David or Tony, perhaps Michael, or would he have a good old Southern name? It’s never made clear if he was Texan, he could have been from another state.

Give me some ideas to put this piece of my darling’s puzzle together....!

Last edited:

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Good question!

I always imagined Sue Ellen and Kristin's father as somewhat passive and probably not taking proper responsibility over his daughters upbringing. I would think he died young, perhaps when Sue Ellen was around 13, leaving her mother trying to financially care for the children - hence why Sue Ellen got into pageants (as winning them often meant a cash price) and her mothers obsession with her marrying rich.

As for a name... maybe something plain. Maybe Robert.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Thanks @tommie - great answer! My understanding is he ran out on them and he was an alcoholic.

I like Robert. Yes.

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's pretty amazing that we never learn the name or the fate of the father of a character so central to the show.

Top Jimmy

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
How about Sam Shepard, like the American actor?

Miss Texas 1967

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
We didn't get a name but there's a scene at the Southern Cross with Clayton where Sue Ellen describes her father leaving and then her mother getting a letter a year later saying he'd died. She remembered mostly just the smell of alcohol on her father's breath. Likely why she clung onto Clayton as the father she never had.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
Everybody knows that Kristin´s father´s name was Bing... :D:danc:

stevew

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
What do you think would be a good name for Sue Ellen’s father?

Her mother Patricia had a standard name, meaning noble, and was very common in the USA at one time.

I’ve always been curious if her father would have a name like David or Tony, perhaps Michael, or would he have a good old Southern name? It’s never made clear if he was Texan, he could have been from another state.

Give me some ideas to put this piece of my darling’s puzzle together....!

I would guess he was Texan as the Shepard’s seemed very prominent, if not wealthy anymore, to me a kind of a Southern stereotype. Something like Audrey Shepard, old Anglo-Saxon like his surname, genteel and southern, maybe even a bit weak sounding, but meaning noble strength. Audrey Henderson Shepard, III and Patricia Ellen Mae nee Perry, parents of Sue Ellen and Kristen Mae. A drunk, a gambler, sort of a Black Jack Bouvier type. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

Kenny Coyote

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I would guess he was Texan as the Shepard’s seemed very prominent, if not wealthy anymore, to me a kind of a Southern stereotype. Something like Audrey Shepard, old Anglo-Saxon like his surname, genteel and southern, maybe even a bit weak sounding, but meaning noble strength. Audrey Henderson Shepard, III and Patricia Ellen Mae nee Perry, parents of Sue Ellen and Kristen Mae. A drunk, a gambler, sort of a Black Jack Bouvier type. Just my thoughts.

Audrey? As in Hepburn? I've never heard of a man being named Audrey. Are you sure you don't mean Audie, as in the famous Texan Audie Murphy? Not that Sue Ellen's father sounded like much of a hero.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Audrey? As in Hepburn? I've never heard of a man being named Audrey. Are you sure you don't mean Audie, as in the famous Texan Audie Murphy? Not that Sue Ellen's father sounded like much of a hero.

Yes, Audrey isn't a male name and has to my knowledge never been used as that (but apparently it's where the word "tawdry" derived from as a reference to Saint Audrey). I'm guessing he might've meant the name Leslie/Lesley which is a unisex name.

stevew

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Kristin’s middle name is Ann but I also like Mae.

Very nice @stevew - great ideas.

I didn’t recall hearing it and thought Mae sounded southern but Patricia Ellen Ann would work. It just seems to me there names would come from their momma’s maybe as if Ellen and Ann were Patricia’s two grandmother’s.

Thank you.

stevew

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards

No but Audie could be a nick name and certain have a Texan sound to it. Today we don’t hear many guys named Ashley either but Scarlet certainly was in love with one. I even knew a Carol - guy and. Lynn - guy. So yes I’m certain Audrey, not to mention I made him a third so the name would have gone back to the 1800’s.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
No but Audie could be a nick name and certain have a Texan sound to it. Today we don’t hear many guys named Ashley either but Scarlet certainly was in love with one. I even knew a Carol - guy and. Lynn - guy. So yes I’m certain Audrey, not to mention I made him a third so the name would have gone back to the 1800’s.

Ashley, Lynn and Carol are actually unisex names - Audrey actually isn't and never has been. It's a feminine name only.

stevew

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes, Audrey isn't a male name and has to my knowledge never been used as that (but apparently it's where the word "tawdry" derived from as a reference to Saint Audrey). I'm guessing he might've meant the name Leslie/Lesley which is a unisex name.

It’s an ancient Anglo Saxon. “Since 1880, a total of 1,458 boys have been given the name Audrey while 249,456 girls were named Audrey.”

http://www.babynameshub.com/gendercompare.cfm?Name=Audrey

While not common for a boy, I don’t see Sue Ellen’s father being a common man by any stretch. I’m being Jackie Kennedy’s dad but more Anglo-Saxon and less French and more broke later in life, maybe even more drunk. Certainly not common.