Tea/coffee: With sugar or without?

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Addict
Reaction score
So if this is this the worst problem I have, I'm blessed. I went to get coffee yesterday, and when I arrived at work I discovered they had put sugar in it. I always emphasize, "No sugar." I have a sweet tooth, but for some reason putting it in my coffee or tea makes it undrinkable. I can only have a little bit of milk in my coffee, and as far as tea goes it can't have anything in it.
Anyone else who can't drink coffee with sugar?

Alexis

Telly Talk Hero
Reaction score
Medals
I can only drink coffee with sweetness. I don't take sugar though so I usually have black coffee with 2 sweetener in it. It's rarely I will have milk in my coffee. I like my tea with only 1 sweetener though as I usually have milk in my tea and find that milk naturally sweetens it somewhat.

Snarky's Ghost

Telly Talk Oracle
Reaction score
Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
Medals
I prefer everything with sugar, including prime rib and caviar. Which isn't good, as Type 2 seems to be tapping on my shoulder. If only any sensation was left.

I can't drink coffee black, with no sugar or some kind of cream. They say sociopaths love it that way. (Just google it.)

Tea is one of the healthiest foods out there, cleaning the gut of bad bacteria (gut health determines brain health and overall body health) but the sugar and caffeine -- or artificial sweeteners --- are a no-no. But it's hard for me drink such stripped down tea for very long.

Daniel Avery

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
Sweet Tea is an institution in the South (USA), an everyday beverage that ranks right up there with Coca-Cola/Pepsi when it comes to menu choices for "something sweet to drink" in our restaurants. It's not made/served by the cup like "real" tea (the British institution)--it's made by the gallon! The joke among sweet tea fans like myself is "Unsweet tea?! What's the point?" Though many restaurants offer it, it's mainly for the guests who want to mix it with the sweet tea to create less-sweet, sweet tea. Ask any Southern waitress for 'half and half' and you won't get a dairy product--you get half-sweet/half-unsweet tea.

I've never drank coffee of any kind in my life, but then why would I want to when I'm still working off a sweet-tea sugar buzz?

Mel O'Drama

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Medals
It's over a decade and a half since I've drunk coffee or black tea. Before that I usually drank unsweetened (apart from several years when I was young after my paternal grandmother - to my mother's consternation - liberally sugared my tea ).

Nowadays it's green tea and herbal infusions for me. All unsweetened.

Barbara Fan

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
tea, milk 2 sugar and only a little milk to be added last

Had one cup of coffee in my life, didnt like the taste and have never gone there again
Also have friends who are coffee addicts and they have coffee breath! (2 in particular)

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
Reaction score
I like sugar in baking, but I try to avoid it in drinks because it changes the taste of the liquid for me.

I have hot cocoa with no sugar because I love the flavour and smell. Sometimes I may drop in a little milk but not so much it becomes hot chocolate--another drink I like, but hot cocoa is my favourite winter drink.
I have tea with no sugar and no milk. For some bizarre reason, though I drink vats of milk, I have never tried it in tea. Maybe one day I will go crazy.
When I have cappuccino, I usually do not need sugar because the milk dilutes the bitterness of the coffee enough. And I do not ever have filter coffee.
The only type of coffee I have in the summer is Freddo Espresso (a Greek concoction, despite the Italian name) and I do not find that needs sugar either, because the ice cubes again do a good job diluting the bitterness.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
Reaction score
Medals
I can't drink tea or coffee with sugar, it just makes it totally unpalatable. However, I will happily eat cake or biscuits with my hot drink even though they contain more sugar than most people would add to tea or coffee.

Barbara Fan

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
I can't drink tea or coffee with sugar, it just makes it totally unpalatable. However, I will happily eat cake or biscuits with my hot drink even though they contain more sugar than most people would add to tea or coffee.

LOL I watched a prog on Cadburys and there is more sugar in a cream egg than your entire quota of sugar / day!! :eck::eck:

I only like a cup of tea before leaving for work. after that its cold drinks and smoothies for me

Barbara Fan

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
Off topic, but totally agree with you @Michael Torrance - it no longer tastes the same and i loved Cadburys and also what they have done to Roses and Quality street, changing taste, size, shape and wrapper!!!

Emelee

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
Without sugar, but I need a bit of milk in my coffee.

My co-workers have a great question if they go get coffee for someone else and that person wants milk in it, and you don't know how much milk he/she prefers. "How beige?"

Usually, I get my own coffee (at work, at home), and when I'm out at a restaurant, they don't add milk or sugar for their customers, but rather brings milk and sugar on the side. Coffee shops usually have very specific coffee menus, but can ask "with or without cream" for instance. I've never gotten what I didn't order. But if I did, I probably would be too chicken to complain.

Mo Mouse

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
Reaction score
My Uncle Donald drinks his tea and coffee without any sugar but my next door neighbour Nobby has two sugars in his tea and likes it quite milky as well.

It's a funny world we live in, isn't it.

Alexis

Telly Talk Hero
Reaction score
Medals
Off topic, but totally agree with you @Michael Torrance - it no longer tastes the same and i loved Cadburys and also what they have done to Roses and Quality street, changing taste, size, shape and wrapper!!!
Milk Tray is the absolute worst. Trash, tastes like utter cheap rubbish. That new one they put in is absolutely vile. Apple crunch I think it's called. It's disgusting but then the whole box is. They used to be so good.

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Addict
Reaction score
It's over a decade and a half since I've drunk coffee or black tea. Before that I usually drank unsweetened (apart from several years when I was young after my maternal grandmother - to my mother's consternation - liberally sugared my tea ).

Nowadays it's green tea and herbal infusions for me. All unsweetened.

I still have a cup of decaf coffee every now and then, but several years ago I got into green tea. There's a very specific kind of whole leaf tea that I love.
I've also found some herbal teas that are very good. One in particular is roasted dandelion tea. Another is reishi mushroom.

bmasters9

Telly Talk Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely without; I used to take milk in my coffee, before I tried it black once, decided it tasted better that way (black), and have never looked back. I'm the same way with tea-- I take it straight up, without the adornments.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
Coffee - definitely without. I used to but couldn’t stomach it with sugar now.

Tea - usually with 1. I’m not a huge tea fan. I couldn’t survive without coffee.

Do not speak to me if I haven’t had a cup first thing.

Mo Mouse

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I used to go into a cafe and just order coffee and pay 50 pence. Now, there is a menu with about 20 or 30 different coffees on and it costs about four quid.