TellyTalk's Top 5: Mariah Carey

Jason73

Admin
Solutions
Reaction score
Medals
they've ended up exactly as they're listed above

I chose the lead single off of each of her first five albums. They're listed chronologically, so if you liked the top four you may enjoy early Mariah. I certainly do. I listen to her first three albums frequently. Her next two albums I listen to quite a bit as well. After that the albums are hit and miss for me with a few good tracks here and there.

My list:

1. Dreamlover
2. Vision of Love
3. Emotions
4. Fantasy
5. Honey

When I was trying to decide what artist to suggest to Emelee, Mariah wasn't actually my first choice but I was worried no one would want to play along if I went with someone more obscure like Steve Grand, Troye Sivan, Years and Years, CNCO or Thomston, who are artists I love and listen to a lot. Maybe next time . . .

Last edited:

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
I loved Mariah when I was in my late teens/early twenties but went off her so much when she started letting everything hang out (literally) and adopted that diva like personality which she didn't have early on. She was so fresh and unspoiled. As for giving her kids those RIDICULOUS names....argh!

But I will still vote as she does have an amazing voice:

1. Vision of Love
2. Emotions
3. Fantasy
4. Dreamlover
5. Honey

:love:

Mel O'Drama

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Medals
I chose the lead single off of each of her first five albums.
That's a nice, fair way of doing it.

They're listed chronologically, so if you liked the top four you may enjoy early Mariah.
Thanks. It sounds like I would. I do have a couple of her albums - an EP and a compilation - which are mostly Nineties.

Speaking of her earlier work, have you got her Rarities album? I really like her cover of Out Here On My Own. I can imagine what a gift it must be for fans to suddenly have these deep cuts made available. Many's the time I've hoped Madonna would do something like this.

Mariah en Español looks like something I'd enjoy as well, as I love hearing familiar tracks in a different language.

Jason73

Admin
Solutions
Reaction score
Medals
Speaking of her earlier work, have you got her Rarities album? I really like her cover of Out Here On My Own. I can imagine what a gift it must be for fans to suddenly have these deep cuts made available.
Yes! Way back in the day there was a b-side to one of her singles. I can't remember which one. I think the single was off one of her first two albums. Anyways, I had it on cassette and I loved the song. But who knows what happened to the cassette and then I no longer had access to the song, until the Rarities album.

Many's the time I've hoped Madonna would do something like this.
Madonna seems to slowly releasing some of her 12 inch singles, usually when the song hits some sort of age related milestone. She's done it with Like a Prayer, Human Nature and Hanky Panky. Hopefully she'll do more.

Mariah en Español looks like something I'd enjoy as well, as I love hearing familiar tracks in a different language.
I don't know this existed.

Mel O'Drama

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Medals
Way back in the day there was a b-side to one of her singles. I can't remember which one. I think the single was off one of her first two albums. Anyways, I had it on cassette and I loved the song. But who knows what happened to the cassette and then I no longer had access to the song, until the Rarities album.

It's really special to be reunited with a song that way. That's a nice, mellow track as well.

Madonna seems to slowly releasing some of her 12 inch singles, usually when the song hits some sort of age related milestone. She's done it with Like a Prayer, Human Nature and Hanky Panky. Hopefully she'll do more.

They must have passed me by with not having vinyl, but it's great that her older tracks are being put out there this way.

I don't know this existed.

I only discovered it after looking round a bit after this round came up. Seems it's a digital only EP, made up of a few Spanish-language tracks that appeared on singles or albums in Spanish-speaking markets.

They sound really nice.

Alexis

Telly Talk Hero
Reaction score
Medals
I don't think I can rank those... Always been a fan, but more casual in recent years. I just read her book last week and it was one of the best pop music memoirs I have ever read. It's made me appreciate and love her a lot more. I couldn't do any ranking of Mariah without My All...

Jason73

Admin
Solutions
Reaction score
Medals
They must have passed me by with not having vinyl, but it's great that her older tracks are being put out there this way.
Oh, sorry -- I didn't mean she was releasing them on vinyl. Those few that I mentioned are on Spotify.

They sound really nice.

Those are really good! I've listened to the rest of the album which is just various Spanish versions of My All -- mostly instrumental versions. It's an odd little album but I love the three actual singing tracks.

Mel O'Drama

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Medals
Oh, sorry -- I didn't mean she was releasing them on vinyl. Those few that I mentioned are on Spotify.

Ah - I see what you mean. Another format I haven't got round to doing.

I just had a peek and noticed Hanky Panky and Human Nature are on iTunes as singles. Like A Prayer doesn't seem to be, but I did end up listening to a sample of the Susan Boyle version and liking it far more than I should admit.

Those are really good! I've listened to the rest of the album which is just various Spanish versions of My All -- mostly instrumental versions. It's an odd little album but I love the three actual singing tracks.

Funnily enough, I wasn't familiar with the English version of My All. Turns out there's another Mariah song I really like.

Ome

Admin
Solutions
Reaction score

Jason73

Admin
Solutions
Reaction score
Medals
I think what drew me into this particular variation of all our ranking threads was the fact that someone else was choosing the songs and that they might not include my favorites or even be songs I particularly care for. Emelee’s Whitney choices weren’t songs I listen to very often and I enjoyed revisiting them and thinking about how to order them. I hope others have sent artists/songs to Emelee because I’m looking forward to seeing what others suggest.