• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

That Blast from the Past

Laurie Marr

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Altnough it ended up being the last few seconds of a year-long dream, I’ve always been curious about how the show managed to get away with blowing a hole on the side of the First National Bank building. It didn’t look very fiery and there was minimal pyrotechnics but it could not have been easy to set up.

Julia's Gun

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Well they have that crane you can see as the camera pans down - maybe they got permission as long as they collected all the debris from the blast... and the street looks empty, so must have been very early in the morning. Also as you say there is no fire, so maybe they didn't have a proper explosion. They just took the windows out, turned on a smoke machine and threw out some old curtains and bits of cardboard stolen from the Lorimar green room.

But still it worked quite well, didn't it?

Last edited:

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
On first viewing it looks good, only because it's quite shocking. However, careful viewing shows there is a slight editing fault. It's difficult to see unless you pause and use your frame by frame function on your remote.
Window.jpg
After Sue Ellen enters the office we cut to the exterior of the building showing the windows intact. The next image is when we assume the windows were blown out. Clearly this didn't happen as the windows are perfectly removed from their frames upon exploding. There is also a slight camera position issue between this split second. It's as if the camera had been slightly moved before the actual explosion occurred.

And here is another little observation I hadn't noticed before. Just as Sue Ellen walks into the office she reacts to the explosion as evident in her shadow.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Yes a friend told me about Sue Ellen's shadow, although to this day I've never been able to clearly see that. Does anyone have a screenshot? Or I'll just pause the dvd..whatever..:danc:

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I always thought the shadow appeared to show that Sue Ellen tripped and fell over shortly after she entered the office.

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
OMG why am I not aware of this?! What is going on??!

The brain washing Cynthia Cidre did via the TNT Dallas has probably affected you.

It's easy to cure, a glass of wine in the morning & a bloody Cynthia, I mean a bloody Mary at night will fix it! :)

Miss Texas 1967

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Yes a friend told me about Sue Ellen's shadow, although to this day I've never been able to clearly see that. Does anyone have a screenshot? Or I'll just pause the dvd..whatever..:danc:

If you look closely it's like her shadow drops.

I also never noticed the special effects are clearly some kind of balloon expanding to blow out the windows. You can see it in the left hand part of the windows and then in the reflection of the building as it falls to the ground.

Last edited:

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)

If you look closely it's like her shadow drops.

I also never noticed the special effects are clearly some kind of balloon expanding to blow out the windows. You can see it in the left hand part of the windows and then in the reflection of the building as it falls to the ground.

I never noticed that last shadow (of Gray?) in that scene...only that early seasons´ Sue Ellen would have never liked to be seen with that blue suit on (how is it exactly called in English?) in public...About what was thrown off that window, I supposed it was the whole package of Travilla gowns once he left / was fired from the show...