SoapLand - The Battle Of The Business Storylines - The Result

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards

And I mean specific storylines, not an overarching battle for The Companies because that theme was always running in the background.

What financial intrigues should be in our top 5?

Kenny Coyote

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
1. Dallas season 6 - The Contest For Ewing Oil - Bobby and JR compete against each other to see who makes a bigger profit in one year for control of Ewing Oil as per Jock's will.

2. Dallas season 7 - Gold Canyon 340 - JR tries to bankrupt Cliff by enticing him to bid on an offshore oil lease

3. Dallas season 4 - Real Power - Named it for the best monologue in Dallas history, which is the result of Bobby using JR still recovering from being shot to try to steal his job. Bobby first insists he will only run Ewing Oil until JR recuperates, but then refuses to give JR his job back once he has recovered. This leads to Bobby trying to show he can successfully run Ewing Oil his own way, while JR does everything he can to try to set Bobby up to fail. My favorite part of the whole storyline takes place when Bobby confronts Jock, berating him in front of his friends, complaining that Jock spent his money on a real estate deal without first getting Bobby's permission. Bobby says Jock gave him power. Jock replies: "So I gave you power, did I? Well let me tell you something boy, if I did give you power, then you've got nothing! Nobody gives you power. Real power is something you take"!

4. Dallas season 8 - Who Owns Ewing Oil? - Cliff and Jamie believe they have a rightful claim to two thirds of Ewing Oil, which results in JR, Bobby and Ray working together to find proof that Jock was the rightful owner of all of Ewing Oil, culminating in a court case.

5. Dallas season 5 - Goodbye, Cliff Barnes - JR sets up a deal that looks so good, Cliff embezzles money from his mother's company resulting Cliff losing his job, all his money and then Sue Ellen when he asks her to loan him several million dollars.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
1 - Asian fields, revolution & counter-revolution (Ewing Oil, Dallas)
2- Gold Canyon, J.R. financing Cliff´s Barnes-Wentworth (E.O. & BW, Dallas)
3- Wolfbridge affaire, involving Abby, Gary et al (Apolun, Knots Landing)
4- Murakame intrigue, Abby, Gary et al (Lotus Point, K.L.)
5- South China leases, Alexis & Ben vs. Blake (Colbyco & Denver-Carrington)

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
1. "Capricorn Crude"
Knots Landing

Beginning as a project in night school, Val's assignment - A Family In Texas - became the searing book Capricorn Crude. Everyone from JR Ewing to Lilimae got involved and played their part in assuring Val's success with that much sought-after stolen manuscript. Thanks to Abby's careful planning it also assured the end of Val's marriage and caused no end of disruption to the lives of many characters - including the Texas Ewings. Publicity events around the book launch were eventful: whether it be the discovery of her husband in flagrante delicto with her friend; her neighbour's waters breaking or one of the Texas Ewings turning up to get his copy of the book signed by the authoress herself. And let's not forget that memorable publicity appearance on The Mike Douglas Show with none other than Zsa Zsa Gabor, who had nothing but praise for the "ferry vicket book".

2. "The Orchid Cab Co."
Knots Landing

The stakes are high when Gary gets in over his head with a stolen car parts deal. Even JR gets involved, to the tune of fifty thousand dollars. A sting operation follows, and the neighbouring families end up living in isolation under FBI protection. But it’s honest Sid Fairgate who pays the ultimate price in this game changing business-gone-bad storyline.

3. "Alexis and Sable’s Tanker Wars"
Dynasty

Pure fun every step of the way as Dynasty’s kissing cousins sweep into each other’s suites with their latest piece of one-upmanship. Accompanied by a series of acid put-downs and cleavage galore. Just wonderful.

4. "A Rock Star Is Born"
Knots Landing

Gary Ewing goes into business with Knots Landing’s very own record producer, Kenny Ward in a season long arc about the product Gary’s discovered: one Ciji Dunne. Every step of the way is fraught with drama as she becomes the main attraction at Richard Avery’s restaurant; is handed a song written by Ginger Ward and becomes sexually involved with both Gary and publicist Chip. The album's recording sessions were memorably interrupted by Gary, boozed-up and despairing that the business deal was ruining liiiiiiiiiives. By the night of her album launch, the business deal has gone sour. Ciji is dead - and everyone on the cul de sac is a suspect.

5. "Murakame"
Knots Landing

Secret identities. Japanese actors. Hairdryers in bathtubs. A leading character committing major fraud.

What’s not to like?

Jock Og

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
1) The Asian oil fields, the overthrow & selling off: Probably the most tangled business deal J.R. got involved in. He secured the Asian oil fields but had to mortgage Southfork to get them. A bad storm hit the fields, forcing Ellie to allow drilling on her beloved Southfork. The country the Asian oil fields were in was about to be overthrown. J.R. got wind of this. He sold EO's interest to the cartel and Vaughn Leland. DALLAS

2) Gold Canyon 340: J.R. secretly finances Cliff's Gold Canyon 340 deal, via Vaughn Leland. The lucrative deal and Barnes Wentworth Oil would be put up for collateral. To make sure oil wasn't hit J.R. paid off the drillers. Then at the eleventh hour Cliff struck big, after he hired a new drilling team. DALLAS

3) The Helios Food deal: Angela wants to expand her wine business, by gaining a contract with Helios Foods. Unbeknown to her Cassandra Wilder is also a participant in the deal, leaving Chase and Richard out of FC. Cassie and Anna are in, leaving the grandmother Angela livid. FALCON CREST

4) Murakame: Abby forms Murakarme to buy Lotus Point. When it looks as if she could be arrested for fraud the blonde bombshell donates Lotus Point to the government, as a wildlife preserve. KNOTS LANDING

5) Who owns the oil leases for the South China Sea: Ben and Alexis have the ownership. Blake is in difficulties financially and Alexis takes great pleasure in evicting him from the mansion, along with Krystle. DYNASTY

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
1. Gold Canyon 340 - JR sets up Cliff to pay over the odds for the oil leases but ultimately makes Cliff rich after he buys the richest tract in the Gulf. DALLAS

2. Lotus Point - Abby embezzles Gary's money to set up her own company Apolune to develop Lotus Point behind the back of Karen who jointly own the land with her. KNOTS LANDING

3. Philip buys the Agretti Harvest - Chase and Angela both desperately want to buy Agretti harvest but Melissa is reluctant to sell. Philip tricks her regarding a contract and she is forced to sell it to him, stealing the deal from under the nose of the two Giobertis. FALCON CREST

4. The Barrio Property - Claude sends Endora off to a sanatorium to get treatment for her pill addition and while she's away he forges her signature to sell a property she owns in the barrio quarter of Truro to Michael Tyrone. FLAMINGO ROAD

5. Asian Oil Fields - JR risks everything on an Asian Oil Field and makes the family billionaires until there is a coup in the country which nationalises the oil fields. JR is ok though because he gets a tip off and sells the oil fields to the cartel before he loses everything. DALLAS

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
1. The Wolfbridge Group and Apolune, Knots Landing. Abby gets in over her head with mobsters while trying to build a high-rise resort with Gary's money. When it all falls apart, it does so spectacularly and changes the relationships of most of the main cast forever.

2. The struggle over Empire Valley, KL. Greg was livid that Paul left the seemingly priceless tract of land to Gary (and not to Greg), and spent entirely too much time and effort trying to get it back, even after he finds out the land has more baggage than an airport: a subterranean "technological Disneyland" eavesdropping on communication satellites, and a toxic waste dump poisoning the water supply. The fact that Greg continued to scheme to get it all back from Gary showed that Greg cared more about his father's legacy than he ever let on, letting the struggle nearly destroy his relationship with Laura.

3. The stolen car parts saga, KL. Definitely a smaller-scale affair, but Abby and Gary's greed managed to get Sid killed!

4. Richard decides to build a restaurant, KL. Not only did it present opportunities for all the characters to get dressed up and go out, but Abby's 'silent partner' status allowed her to remain an unwelcome presence in the Avery marriage.

5. Murakame, or Apolune 2: The Revenge, KL. Though it had a lot of the hallmarks of the original Wolfbridge plotline (shell company owned by Abby trying to defraud Karen and Gary; Ted Melcher as a cut-rate Mark St. Claire killing people who got in the way) it ended much better, since Abby left in a limo rather than a pine box.

Victoriafan3

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
1. Jake Sanders takeover of Harper Mining and Stephanie winning it back from him on a horse racing bet RTE

2. Pam announcing to JR that she would be his new business partner in the dream season. A brilliant scene and great premise (came to zip but still the thought was there)

3. Alexis and Sable’s oil tankers, such a camp delight to watch. Great lines. Well played. A fun, easy, enjoyable watch. Dynasty

4. Katherine trying to get the drill bit for Bobby, the battle for control between the two brothers, coming at so much cost. Dallas

5. JR mortgaging Southfork for the Asian Oil deal. Dallas

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
1 JR's gas stations. I remember when JR was holding onto all this oil, andthe other oilmen were not amused. Bobby was perplexed regarding his brother's motives, and it was the first time I was really interested in the business aspect of a plot. It was awesome when JR revealed his gas stations and presented himself as a man of the people. So much so that they wanted hum to run for president. A businessman becoming president of the U.S.A? Nah, that's too far fetched even for a soap. However, the whole plot made great t.v. Dallas

2. Alexis and Sable Tanker Wars. It was interesting and more coherent, at least to me, than the usual South China Sea or some such tired deal. We also got great verbal sparring between the cousins which rejuvenated the show, and Adam, whom I actually enjoyed the for the first time since he arrived from Billings, Montana. Dynasty

3. Murakame. Abby was having such a good time defrauding her partners and staying one step ahead of Paige, Karen, et. al., that it was infectious. There were fun parts such as the Japanese horror movie, and serious parts, such as when the Japanese actor was murdered. Abby gets caught and then pulls the rug out from everyone. She and little Brian sail out of KL whistling a happy tune, unpunished for her many crimes. Abby, you're the most likable morally bankrupt character ever, and blue eyes to die for! Knots Landing

4. Apolune. Abby is playing Gary as a pianist plays a concert grand, and spins an economic web that ensnares the entire cast. So many great scenes came out of this scheme, but one of my all time favorites is when Mack sets a trap and catches... Laura! KL at it's best just seemed to be getting better. One question after all these years is where did Abby get the name Apolune from? We know she got Murukame from the phone book. I'd like to think it's a combination of Apollo for the sun and lune for the moon. In other words, Abby wants it all, the sun and the moon. Am I overanalyzing? Oh well. Knots Landing
5. The Tundra Torque. Bobby needs this to win the battle for Ewing Oil and whether or not he gets it falls in the hands of Pam, Cliff and Katherine. This brings out the complexities and subtleties of their relationships, and it was when Katherine was, imho, at her most intriguing. The Ewing men sure do attract these blue-eyed schemers. Dallas.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
One question after all these years is where did Abby get the name Apolune from? We know she got Murukame from the phone book.
"Maybelline" was already trademarked? :re:

The technical definition of Apolune has to do with the orbital pattern of a satellite around a moon. The apolune is the physical point where the satellite is furthermost away from the moon (assuming it is an elliptical orbit and not perfectly round). In KL context, I think it referred to how Abby founded the company using Gary Ewing Enterprises money, money which had obviously originally come from Ewing Oil. Ewing Oil could be seen as the "home planet," with Gary Ewing Enterprises as a moon orbiting (or created from) the home planet of Ewing Oil. Now we had Apolune as a satellite orbiting GE Enterprises, but since it was a secret company, it was at the furthermost point away from that moon, probably hiding in the shadow cast by that moon (metaphorically speaking).

How the script writer knew of this astronomical/planetary physics term, I have no idea, but I think this is a clever way to apply it to the storyline.

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
"Maybelline" was already trademarked? :re:

The technical definition of Apolune has to do with the orbital pattern of a satellite around a moon. The apolune is the physical point where the satellite is furthermost away from the moon (assuming it is an elliptical orbit and not perfectly round). In KL context, I think it referred to how Abby founded the company using Gary Ewing Enterprises money, money which had obviously originally come from Ewing Oil. Ewing Oil could be seen as the "home planet," with Gary Ewing Enterprises as a moon orbiting (or created from) the home planet of Ewing Oil. Now we had Apolune as a satellite orbiting GE Enterprises, but since it was a secret company, it was at the furthermost point away from that moon, probably hiding in the shadow cast by that moon (metaphorically speaking).

How the script writer knew of this astronomical/planetary physics term, I have no idea, but I think this is a clever way to apply it to the storyline.

Thank you, Daniel! That's very interesting. I love learning things:ty:

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
1. Blaisdel-Lankershim and Krystle's betrayal - DYNASTY
2. Jason Colby's IMOS project - THE COLBYS (adulterous politicians, angry Russians and eventually a nosy alien from outer space)
3. Joshua Rush's career at Abby's TV station - KNOTS LANDING
4. Bobby and Guzzler's business, built on friendship and disillusionment - DALLAS
5. Chase challenges Angela's monopoly on the water supply - Falcon CREST

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don't expect any more votes so…

1. Gold Canyon 340 (Dallas) - 21 points
2. The Asian Oil Fields (Dallas) / Apolune (Knots Landing) - 15 points
3. Murakame (Knots Landing) / Dynasty Tanker War - 10 points
4. Stolen Car Parts (Knots Landing) - 7 points
5. Contest For Ewing Oil (Dallas) - 6 points