The Corona Virus

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
ya know this pandemic is going to i think going to go into the fall and i say that because people have lost their shit, that Gentlemen who was murdered by that cop who should rot in jail.

and i get why people are angry and i agree that kind of crap should have ended years ago that's not a question but a fact it's 2020 yet it feels like it's (1965) again even though i wasn't around back than. people are losing their shit and forgetting that there's a pandemic going on and they should stop the violence and go home to be with their family's. ya know i'm 41 and i don't even remember in my life time it getting this bad, i think someone online compared it to Kent State in (1970) which is 50 years ago this year apparently. anyways i wasn't around back than but we need to find a safer way to handle to voice our concerns.

we've now had over 100,000 deaths in the states due to the virus and it's not gonna slow down at all but get a billion times worse with all these riots in various cities. i live in the country so i'm thankful that so far they haven't done that here at least not that i'm aware of. i'm one of the lucky ones i suppose
That's why the police need to stop killing black people.

If you're a young black person in the USA you are probably at a greater risk of being unfairly treated by the criminal justice system and facing racial discrimination in your life and than you are of dying of Covid-19. That's why people are protesting even though there is a risk of spreading Covid-19.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
The R (reproduction) number for the virus is still close to 1 in the UK. Across the Irish Sea, it’s between 0.4 and 0.5 - half our rate - and yet Ireland is unlocking a lot more slowly than we are. Is Johnson so desperate to change the story from Cummings that he doesn’t care about a second spike in the UK.

This all just goes to prove that we do NOT live in a United Kingdom. I'm getting so frustrated by how the government is running things. In Wales, any number of people from 2 different households can meet. ANY number. In NI it's only 6.

There is going to be a second wave of this if we aren't given more clear direction. Sadly as Dominic Cummings got away with what he did, people are now trying to do the same.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
I just discovered that Boris Johnson has been lying to us again, this time regarding the number of people who are being tested for Covid-19 in the UK.

A Covid-19 test normally consists of 2 swabs being taken from a person, one from the nose and the other from the throat. His government has been counting each swab as a separate test to artificially inflate the number of tests they are carrying out. This shameful manipulation of the data is as bad an anything you would expect from the Chinese or Russian governments.

Johnson is again is prioritising protecting his reputation and that of his wretched government over protecting the British and Northern Irish people from Covid-19.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
oh i i agree that cops should stop killing blacks that's not a question, but here's the thing there's a lot of ways to do that but to go from state to state and Destroy all the property, i think that's taking things to far, you know it didn't get this back when the last one that was all over the news here in ohio was killed by the cops whatever year it was. Cops have been doing that since before any of us were born, it's not right it's never been right and it never will be right at all. but it feels like one of those end of the world films doesn't it?

ya know having a riot take place where it happened i get but from state to state that's just messed up. apparently we had that happen in Cleveland and it wasn't from anyone who even lived there apparently people came out of state to do it. how messed up is that?

but at the same time the people in charge do need to do something about it and not lie to the public about it and than do nothing they need to make changes and show proof than things may calm down. trump is gonna be on tv tonight my guess to make things worse

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
off topic i just saw on yahoo news that it's now not legal to screw anyone outside your house hold from now on well at least until the pandemic is over. those dating sites and bootie call sites are gonna really go broke now

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
I’m actually very confused and frustrated. We are still being fed the stay at home message, essential journeys only yet yesterday HUNDREDS of people stood in line for IKEA.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
off topic i just saw on yahoo news that it's now not legal to screw anyone outside your house hold from now on well at least until the pandemic is over. those dating sites and bootie call sites are gonna really go broke now
We had something like that here briefly. (Unofficially called the "bonk ban".) But then they said that it did not apply to people who were considered "partners" even if they didn't live together.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yesterday in the UK (population 66 million) had more deaths from Covid-19 than the entire European Union (population 450 million). At Prime Minister's Questions yesterday Boris Johnson said he was "proud" of how his government have handled the Covid-19 strategy. Truly shocking.

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yesterday the media here in the US reported an increase in 21,000 Covid-19 cases over the last few days. Between the mass demonstrations and so many states lifting restrictions and stay at home order, I fear things here are going to go from horrible to horrific very quickly.

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yesterday in the UK (population 66 million) had more deaths from Covid-19 than the entire European Union (population 450 million). At Prime Minister's Questions yesterday Boris Johnson said he was "proud" of how his government have handled the Covid-19 strategy. Truly shocking.

Sounds eerily familiar to what is happening here in the US.

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards

But he may truly have been proud. Given his amazing stupidity and ineptitude, the numbers may be a miracle compared to what they could have been. Let's not forget he also started with n̶e̶r̶d̶ herd immunity like Sweden.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
we will have a 2nd outbreak you know it once this protests calm down there's not a question about it but a fact so still stay safe ladies and gents

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
we will have a 2nd outbreak you know it once this protests calm down there's not a question about it but a fact so still stay safe ladies and gents
Let's not forget that for months right-wingers have been protesting against the lockdown, gathering in large numbers and making a point of not exercising social distancing and wearing face coverings.

US lockdown protests may have spread virus widely, cellphone data suggests

From what I've seen, many, although not enough, of the Black Lives Matter protesters have been wearing face coverings.

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Let's not forget he also started with n̶e̶r̶d̶ herd immunity like Sweden.

For the 100th time, that's not Sweden's strategy. It's only a theory that we still don't know if it works. Our strategy is based on the virus being a long-term pandemic and what restrictions actually can be active during a long period of time in this country.

Unlike most other countries, we do most of what politicians and authorities advice us to do. Our high death numbers is not because people don't practice social distancing. It's because we lack protective gear for residential homes. The staff has had to visit all elderly without enough protection and therefore have spread the virus from patient to patient. That's why almost all deaths have been people over 70 with more than one underlying illness. We have not been able to protect our elderly because of lack of masks, visors, gloves etc at the residential homes.

Unfortunately, young people have now started to relax. Many have had graduation parties. And there's been 3 big manifestations for Black Lives Matter last week with way too many protesters. Second wave - here we come!!!

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
For the 100th time, that's not Sweden's strategy. It's only a theory that we still don't know if it works. Our strategy is based on the virus being a long-term pandemic and what restrictions actually can be active during a long period of time in this country.

Despite what the Swedish ambassador said...
"About 30% of people in Stockholm have reached a level of immunity," Karin Ulrika Olofsdotter told NPR. "We could reach herd immunity in the capital as early as next month."
https://www.npr.org/2020/04/26/8452...-herd-immunity-in-may-swedish-ambassador-says

It may indeed be that this is not what Sweden's official strategy is and somehow the ambassador was...hmmm, misinformed. But still...

"Sweden’s government insists that it does not have a herd immunity strategy, but Swedish virologist Lena Einhorn said that “they have denied it, but under their breaths they have acknowledged” the strategy, according to France24."

https://www.sfgate.com/news/editors...unity-experiment-backfires-covid-15289437.php

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Despite what the Swedish ambassador said...
"About 30% of people in Stockholm have reached a level of immunity," Karin Ulrika Olofsdotter told NPR. "We could reach herd immunity in the capital as early as next month."
https://www.npr.org/2020/04/26/8452...-herd-immunity-in-may-swedish-ambassador-says

It may indeed be that this is not what Sweden's official strategy is and somehow the ambassador was...hmmm, misinformed. But still...

"Sweden’s government insists that it does not have a herd immunity strategy, but Swedish virologist Lena Einhorn said that “they have denied it, but under their breaths they have acknowledged” the strategy, according to France24."

https://www.sfgate.com/news/editors...unity-experiment-backfires-covid-15289437.php

I listen to the press conferences every day and read the news. The ambassador knows about as much of this as an everyday Joe on Facebook who thinks he's an expert because he has read an article.

Lena Einhorn is only speculating. I haven't even heard of her before as a medical expert. She is mostly known as an author and director. She is not involved in this in ANY way. I googled her and she worked mostly with tumours. She left the medical profession already in the 80s.

So... the sources are not reliable.

What is going on right now is trying to learn more about the virus and test people who have recovered from covid-19 to see how many of them have developed antibodies. The next step is to figure out if people with antibodies are immune or not. And if they are immune, how immune and for how long? How many antibodies does it take to develope some kind of immunity?

These are questions in focus for researchers right now as well as trying to find a vaccine or at least a good treatment.

We believe, based on tests, that around 30% of Stockholm residents have had covid-19. Some having had it confirmed, some not. It's them that are mainly in focus when trying to find out if they have antibodies or not. If those with antibodies are immune or not is still unknown. Another question is what kind of immunity they may have.

No one is saying that you get immune if you've had covid-19. It's only a theory that needs to be tested. Therefore, the strategy is not herd immunity since we don't even know if you get immune after recovering.

Our strategy isn't really much different from many other countries. It's been grossly misinterpreted. And media in other countries keep on quoting sources that aren't valid or correct. Some on purpose (fascists regimes like Russia and China) and some because the journalists aren't bothered about checking the sources. Like that Lena Einhorn. She should never be officially quoted about covid-19. They might as well quote me.