The Corona Virus

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
I do agree with this, I guess I just needed some validation on it. He really doesn't seem to understand the implications to OTHER people, not just himself. Case in point is bringing a whole load of people from different areas together for dinner. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being stupid about it. Thanks @Alexis

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Enthusiast
Reaction score
Medals
We (in Northern Ieland are now having restrictions imposed on postcodes. It's madness.
There was some talk of that happening here. I live quite close to a postcode boundary and a hard border would have meant I couldn't go to my usual supermarket on the other side. Fortunately they simply imposed the 5km limit instead.

Daniel Avery

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
Florida imposed this multi-stage "re-opening" scheme early in the lockdown, and all but three counties (all to my south) are mostly back to regular business because the case numbers are down (below 5% of those tested). Individual businesses have some self-imposed restrictions (like a restaurant choosing to continue takeout-only even if the county says you can re-open the dining room), but the Dirty Little Secret is that a lot of that isn't directly because of Covid, but because they aren't currently able to re-staff to pre-Covid levels. Some have lost a lot of money and can't afford to hire more people. Others say they list jobs and people simply aren't applying for whatever reason (my guess--they aren't offering enough money). So where I am is much more "recognizable" than even a month ago, but not really back to normal. Masks are still the Ultimate Fashion Accessory, though I think people are getting lax on the social distancing aspect. I'm beginning to think that many people will just wear masks when out in public from now on, Covid or not, since everyone has been so thoroughly spooked by this.

Publix supermarkets (which blanket the state) elected to remove the directional arrows from the floors of the aisles two weeks ago, and people took it as a sign from heaven that things were getting better. Leave it to Publix to show us the light at the end of the tunnel.

The county has offered parents three options for schooling--in-person, at-home, and a hybrid system. A friend who works at one of our high schools said about two-thirds chose in-person instruction, and after a month or so the kids are kind of accustomed to all the precautions. Meanwhile, the next county south hasn't even started school yet because their officials can't agree on...well, anything. But the three counties to the south are always going to be a few steps behind the rest of us.

Last edited:

Mo Mouse

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
Reaction score
The big problem is that the powers that be, whether governments, Councils etc etc have a delicately balanced situation where they say that safety is the most important criteria in all this but, on the other hand, society starts to disintegrate when businesses close, the economy becomes stagnant and people no longer have jobs to go to. People like Donald Trump and Boris Johnson do not do a very convincing job of hiding the fact that they far more concerned about the economy than the lives of the people in their respective countries. A disgusting and invidious situation that shows no sign of changing.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Enthusiast
Reaction score
Medals
We are having a constant war of words between our Prime Minister who wants to open up the country, and the state Premiers who are each concerned about the keeping their respective borders secure. The PM of course has rightly closed our international borders but sees no hypocrisy in attempting to argue against the states applying the same principle until there is some equivalence in case numbers.

bmasters9

Telly Talk Dream Maker
Reaction score
People like Donald Trump and Boris Johnson do not do a very convincing job of hiding the fact that they far more concerned about the economy than the lives of the people in their respective countries.
Probably why Trump insists not just on holding rallies all the time, but letting those at those rallies not wear masks and not socially distance-- he seems to want the curve to stay sky-high and never come down.

Daniel Avery

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
Governor DeSantis just ruled that all the forced closures of businesses in the state of Florida have been lifted. In other words, the state cannot prohibit any business in the state from operating. It will be up to the individual business owners to re-open with the necessary strategies of social distancing, masks, disinfecting, etc., and of course they can stay closed down if they like--there just won't be some faraway bureaucrats telling them they CAN'T open no matter how many precautions they take. It's a step in the right direction toward getting back to normal, thank goodness.