• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

The Corona Virus

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
I’m going to have to ask for a change in my working conditions if it does happen

have you changed jobs out of curiosity?

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
I'm really glad to live in a country like Germany in these times. I think we did handle the situation pretty well and responsibly over here, in comparison to many other countries. An early and very strict lockdown .. that's the way to go, as the numbers show. Looking especially at you, stupid Trump! :re: Just hope the Americans learn from those thousands of unnecessary dead and don't vote for that idiot again.

Last edited:

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Germany is certainly one of the most efficient and well organised countries I’ve ever been to @Matthew Blaisdel - I love it there.

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
Yeah, it's very nice here, everyone has health insurance automatically and you can go to just any doctor you like to for free, at any time, even when you are unemployed and don't earn any money. And you have almost every freedom that you can think of as a homosexual, like i am.
The only thing i don't like here is that the right wing radicals can't be eliminated. There's so much freedom here, that even those evil groups can gather and speak their sick minds.
Many of those like and support what happened before and during 2nd world war, and i really hate that they can do that just because of the freedom of speech and thoughts. Those stupid nazi-assholes should be stopped and imprisoned, but that's the only complaint i have about my country; apart from that it's really nice to live here as a gay guy. :spinning:

Last edited:

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Wearing face masks will be mandatory in Melbourne from midnight tonight.

Messaging on the issue has been somewhat mixed until now and I understand that if people have not wanted to wear one that is their choice.

I even understand that through ignorance they might not have realised that the nose needs to be covered as well as the mouth.

What I don't understand are the people who wear them around their neck.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I keep seeing reports of outbreaks in factories, 26 workers testing positive here, 51 workers testing positive there and it goes on and on and on.

Our government think they have it right by locking down areas where families can no longer meet, no garden/outdoor visits either.

BUT they can still go to work because the economy is far more important than controlling this virus.

In certain areas of the UK

While two families can no longer meet anywhere, the pubs are still open for business.
While two families can no longer meet anywhere, they can travel to another country.
While two families can no longer meet anywhere, they can if they both work in the same factory
While two families can no longer meet anywhere, they are fine to drive to the English coast
While two families can no longer meet anywhere, they can still bump into each other in the shops because its business as usual

Not that everyone will know about the latest lockdown areas because it was announced via Twitter.

Most people still feel that if it's good enough for Dominic Cummings, then it's good enough for them

Most people think the virus is under control because our Prime Minister stopped all coronavirus briefings back in June.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
A couple I know are going to Turkey tomorrow and say they have no intentions of quarantining on return :( I know Turkey hasn't imposed restrictions, but they were going to do the same before their Spanish holiday was cancelled. :(

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Victoria is now effectively a police state. The premier (the equivalent of a governor in the US) has declared an official State of Disaster.

We are confined to within 5km of our homes, and business is being virtually shut down except for narrowly-defined essential services.

Police are stopping cars to check permits, the military is knocking on doors to ensure that people who are supposed to be self-isolating are doing so, and, perhaps most confrontingly, a nighttime curfew has been imposed.

All things I never imagined I would ever see in this country.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Mixed news from Victoria. The case numbers are declining but not as fast as had been hoped so what was projected as six weeks of "Stage 4" restrictions has now been extended for at least two more.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Mixed news from Victoria

While our government have lost the plot completely.

Apparently, we are a nation of fat people, the virus is attacking the obese, and Boris is putting the country on a diet, however, while we still need to get the economy back up and running, the government have had this 'Eat Out to Help Out' scheme where everyone gets discounts by going out to restaurants. Fats food outlets have halved a lot of their prices in a bid to get the British public back on the fast-food diet.

Just popping into our local supermarket and we paid £2 for four pink lady apples, while at the same time we could have paid just 50p for 6 fresh doughnuts.

You got screaming kids and not a lot of money, what do you do?

Now that he has everybody eating out and the kids are back at school, our infection rate is high once more, there are lockdowns happening around the country, however, a lot of places are unaware of what is happening. Boris and his followers are constantly sending out mixed messages.

With the infection rate increasing, Boris had a national briefing on Wednesday. In that briefing, he told the country that he is starting the new 'Rule of 6' campaign which limits any gatherings of more than 6 people. It will be illegal and it doesn't matter where you are in England, the new rule applies to people in private homes, indoors and outdoors, and places such as pubs, restaurants, cafes and public outdoor spaces. It applies to all ages.

BUT..... Even though he introduced this on Wednesday 9th September, it doesn't start until Monday 14th September. No one understands why he picked that random day, maybe it's so the whole of England can have one last weekend of parties.

BUT..... The latest headlines are

Police warn the public not to party before COVID rules tighten in England

So what will everyone this weekend? Listen to Boris, ignore the police warnings and party like it's 1999 or plays nicely and ignore Boris with his 14th September and start tightening up now?

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
Victoria is now effectively a police state. The premier (the equivalent of a governor in the US) has declared an official State of Disaster.

We are confined to within 5km of our homes, and business is being virtually shut down except for narrowly-defined essential services.

Police are stopping cars to check permits, the military is knocking on doors to ensure that people who are supposed to be self-isolating are doing so, and, perhaps most confrontingly, a nighttime curfew has been imposed.

All things I never imagined I would ever see in this country.

One of my friends lives in Oz and her parents also have a house there and spend roughly 6 months Oz (in our autumn/winter) and 6 months UK

They have now been in Oz for a year and their visas extended to Jan next year

I have towed the line all through the restrictions but i know or work with several who havent and dont really seem to care which makes me angry

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I have towed the line all through the restrictions but i know or work with several who havent and dont really seem to care which makes me angry
We've been the same, well, actually we've been much more careful than what Boris has done for us. We were driving to shops using sanitizer back at the end of January, we also went into lockdown a month before Boris decided to put the country into lockdown. We shielded our elderly parents from the end of February.

It's been quite upsetting watching mass gatherings on the beaches, or all those protests with no social distancing and we've just had a couple of days down at the bottom of the country where we've been in the company of many elderly people who have been ignoring the social distancings, some not even bothered to walk right into you. While there were plenty of people wearing masks, there was probably the same amount of people not wearing masks.

Some public conveniences are charging to use them and not supplying any soap or any hand sanitizer, obviously, we would always have some with us, so we can deal with that, but what about all those who don't care?

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Let's not forget that for months right-wingers have been protesting against the lockdown, gathering in large numbers and making a point of not exercising social distancing and wearing face coverings.

Which is something I never understood-- how is trying to get America better (flattening the curve) hurting America, and getting people sick (keeping the curve up) helping America?

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
We (in Northern Ieland are now having restrictions imposed on postcodes. It's madness.

For example - Belfast is now restricted, which operates a postcode BT1-BT15. Some of my friends live in BT5 and had wanted to go out for dinner next week, but should they be? The restrictions apply to having people in your HOME. So you can't have them in your home, but you can go out to dinner with them!?

As someone said on Twitter - 'so I can't go and visit my Granny in her house, but I can take her out to Thompson's Garage (a nightclub)?'

What do you think @Alexis ??

I also have a friend who has been travelling back and forward to Turkey - why is there not a blanket ban on travel? Our health minister has already stated that if we were any other European country we'd be in lockdown.

Last edited:

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's madness.
Some of our restrictions leave us scratching our heads. For example. During the upcoming sports finals only one parent is allowed to the game to watch their little Sarah or Johnny score a goal, try etc. Meanwhile one of our biggest sports, the NRL (National Rugby League) allows thousands of spectators - depending on the size of the stadium - into the game. As a listener said when they phoned into a radio station this morning when the topic was brought up by the radio jocks; perhaps little Sarah or Johnny's game can be held in a supermarket...clearly no restrictions are happening there.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Meanwhile one of our biggest sports, the NRL (National Rugby League) allows thousands of spectators - depending on the size of the stadium - into the game.
I've been watching a few of the NRL games and seen the crowds, boy, do I wish we could do that here. I hate the false cheers they are using to give our game some kind of atmosphere.

perhaps little Sarah or Johnny's game can be held in a supermarket...clearly no restrictions are happening there.
:giggle:

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
We (in Northern Ieland are now having restrictions imposed on postcodes. It's madness.

For example - Belfast is now restricted, which operates a postcode BT1-BT15. Some of my friends live in BT5 and had wanted to go out for dinner next week, but should they be? The restrictions apply to having people in your HOME. So you can't have them in your home, but you can go out to dinner with them!?

As someone said on Twitter - 'so I can't go and visit my Granny in her house, but I can take her out to Thompson's Garage (a nightclub)?'

What do you think @Alexis ??

I also have a friend who has been travelling back and forward to Turkey - why is there not a blanket ban on travel? Our health minister has already stated that if we were any other European country we'd be in lockdown.
I think honestly these things should be taken as a guide. Ultimately it's about having common sense and using your initiative. I think it's ok to see friends if you know that they have been pretty much doing all they are supposed to do, and understand fully the risks. If you are not going out to bars and clubs regularly, are really only going to work and home and are doing all the precautions then you should be fine to meet friends for dinner if they are doing the same. For instance my three best friends are living in city centre, I am in BT17 which is on the outskirts of Belfast. However two of my best friends work in healthcare, in a hospital and are fully aware of health and safety measures and how to protect against covid. I also work in healthcare so we know what to avoid and what's ok.
There is a difference in seeing a friend maybe once a week, when you know that friend has not been in contact with many people or anyone outside of work from maybe going to a house party with 15 people, 10 of whom you don't know. I guess that it also helps that I get tested in work every 14 days and some of my friends can also be tested pretty quickly.

Coming into autumn and winter here things are going to get worse. Contact with large groups should be discouraged anyway. I have been to a couple of bars during all of this and I can safely say it's not been a fun experience so I know that I wont be doing much if any of that. I have however met a couple of friends for dinner at restaurants and it's been ok, and safe. These are hard times and people's mental health will be affected by all this isolation. You still need to see people, just use common sense and take precautions.